NEW STUDY: Taming the Energy Use of Gaming Computers

NatCat

i7 4820k to pentium G3258... What?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

That's nice and all, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to AC/Heating for a house. Not to mention all the devices that when left plugged in have a "trickle" charge like TV boxes, cell phone chargers, clocks, etc. The only way to really "stop" power bleeding out of the house is to flip the breaker on the main. 

Trying to scare people with big numbers...? In a global context, those numbers aren't terrible. Let's flip it around, 160 million refrigerators (I'm sure there's at least that many, globally) use more power than all the gaming PCs in the world... that's a lot of power! If we all went out and bought the newest super-efficient refrigerator, we could save billions annually! Of course, billions of dollars split among all the people in the world is... a few dollars per person. Per year. So, not as big a deal as it sounds.

I have the TVA where i live, power is cheap, mostly dams and coal plants. Some of the best in america I hear. 

drop in hat compared to a car or heating and air. 

^hats are dlc only

Shit!

Imagine how much it would use under load...

I kid :P

Underload? About 300w for normal gaming. I was trying to see how far that thing could overclock. +170mV  made the card use much more power. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

how is this news?

Isn't this obvious?

regular computer only use 50-100w without GPU

add GPU it adds 50-300w under full load.

however, no one took a study over how much AC consume power daily? or heater?

So much bullshit. They are using a "crappy" CPU, it can't compare to the previous one.. (I7 to Pentium) 

Ive been studying computer engennering for a couple of years now, let me tell you that the performance of the second one wont be as good as the other xD, oh well, guess you dont need to be a genius to realise it.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Ehhh... just worked it out (not sure if it is accurate). But if I have my PC on 10 hours a day (on Weekends and about 6 hours on weekdays) it would be around £100 - £150 a year and average UK electricity prices for West Midlands (where I live). That is baring in mind I used 500w not 750w because my PC is not always at load.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Did I miss something in this? I see "hours per day" on the bottom of the chart, is he saying 24 hour full load operation? 

3ERsXpg.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Hmm, the newest generation of parts is more energy efficient than several generations ago. So to make a more power efficient computer, I should be constantly upgrading! Who cares about the more harmful waste created by all these non-recyclable parts. At least we're saving more energy every year, right?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Ok give me 50% gtx 960-970 subventions and price cuts and ill upgrade from my gtx  670, oh wait it uses similar power, gtfo.

"just by swapping some component, you'll get almost same performance lower  power draw"

Lmfao, my rig may use more power than my old 'gaming' (think low end Pentium III) rig, however the performance per watt is far better and it uses only around 500W of power, if not less.

Edit: I also have solar power and my console is an Original Xbox with its stock 100W PSU (I haven't needed a new ATX PSU for it yet-and yes it works with one).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A pointless study that could have been easily confirmed by looking at my electricity bills :]

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

i still think the gpu market is out of control power usage wise. it used to be much lower power draw even on high end gpus. now...not so much. 

gaming cpus are still varely power efficient in default mode and work without requiring overclocking(providing your not an amd fx).

my two cents anyway

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

My power comes from wind farms, I don't really care.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Well dont blame the users, blame the manufacturers for making the global heaters :)

Also give us money to buy every top end and latest component everytime it comes out so we can reduce the energy consumption.

Stupid study.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Fuck the planet, im too busy Fulton extracting sheep in MGS V

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What were those guys thinking???

"hmmmm, how in the world can we save some energy? Replace regular light bulbs with power saving ones? Improve house isolation to keep thermal energy inside the building? naaaaaw! let's rip on gaming PCs!!!"

who cares...