Nintendo president has sadly passed away ;(

Maybe now they will do something good for gaming. 

Besides the over 30 years of good they've done you mean?

Besides the over 30 years of good they've done you mean?

Implying what they've been doing the last 10 years is good. 

RIP Iwata. Thanks for granting us so much fun.

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Whether or not you like everything they've done or not they have done a hell of a lot more good than the rest of the AAA industry. How often do you hear ANY other big publisher talk about fun? How often do you see any of the big guys do anything but harm the industry?

A bit late in finding this out..but wow..this sucks. RIP. Cancer really sucks.

Satoru Iwata was a genius that helped shape a lot of my childhood... and he saw Nintendo though some of its best times since the original NES and some of its worst times too as CEO... but Nintendo has done more good for the industry than it has bad, even in recent years and nothing represents this better than this quote from Iwata:

"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone."

Nintendo games may not be epic in scale. They may not be graphically impressive. They may not even have deep stories. But above everything else, they are fun.

1337990978279873681.jpg

Today is a sad day, Nintendo has given a lot to the world and well a great man has been taken away after a growth in his bile duct has taken him away, in other words it seems he had cancer.

There isnt really much to say about this, he was 55 years old and led Nintendo on a roller-coaster ride for the past 13 years, he also immortalised himself with the infamous speech regarding a banana winning the internet in doing so. 

Nintendo is yet to discuss how he will be replaced and any other future changes to the company.

And with that the tale of Satoru Iwata comes to an end.

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-president-has-passed-away-1717386412?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

below is the official report from nintendo

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf

RIP

D:

:(

:'( 

It was Bile Duct Cancer :(

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Well sure, from 2012 to 2014 where they had a net-loss of $600million.... but from 2009 to 2011 they had a net-gain of $6.3billion. And 2009-2011 was well and truly the tail end of the Wii/DS era. This low point is nothing compared to what he was able to bring when his strategy paid off. Whether you like what that era brought or not, it was a brilliant strategy and more than covers for this downturn. By any measure the Wii and DS were as big if not bigger than the NES and Gameboy. And in an era where they had a hell of a lot more competition.

But that's not the point anyway. It's just sad that such a giant of the industry has died so early. People who say or have said that Nintendo will do better without Iwata? I don't think they're right. I really don't. We need more crazy in gaming, we need companies to have leaders who are willing to do something other than just follow the crowd. Nintendo is that kind of company and I hope that they remain that company.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Sorry to hear that, hopefully he can be replaced by someone a little bit more connected with reality so that Nintendo's attitude with copyright claims and bad console performances are a thing of the past.

I've read up on more things Iwata did. Specifically, his work on Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Not only did he clean and compress the existing code down from 2MB to 1MB, he created the compression algorithm and implemented real-time compression to the games. And it ran just as well as the previous games with no compression on the same single-core 4.19MHz Sharp-developed Z80 clone with less than 32KB RAM and no GPU, at a flawless 60FPS no less. Earthbound aside, this guy was a programming god.

Worst part about this, though, is that his cancer was detected early. The fact that it still killed him shows just how horrendous bile duct cancer truly is. Even if it's detected early, even if it requires surgery that takes time away from your loved ones or doing the things you love, it's still gonna kill you. That is a really scary thought, and I hope that all the money being donated to cancer research truly helps towards developing a cure.

All what he wanted to do was make sure people had fun, and cancer decided we can't have that. Fuck cancer.

Sad news to wake up to. But he didn't die, he just restarted the game.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

That sucks to say the least..

My condolences towards his family and friends and everyone at Nintendo.

Iwata may be physically gone, but he left an impact in the gaming world no one should or could forget.

Rest in Peace.

1959 - 2015.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Worst part about this, though, is that his cancer was detected early. The fact that it still killed him shows just how horrendous bile duct cancer truly is. Even if it's detected early, even if it requires surgery that takes time away from your loved ones or doing the things you love, it's still gonna kill you. That is a really scary thought, and I hope that all the money being donated to cancer research truly helps towards developing a cure.

All what he wanted to do was make sure people had fun, and cancer decided we can't have that. Fuck cancer.

Cancer is a monster indeed and mankind should really focus on curing it (we can do our part too, either by donating to cancer research or by folding). 

I cringe every time I read nonsense like "this thread gave me cancer" or "this video gave me cancer".  Maybe stuff like this is a good wake-up call to those who write such nonsense.

So young! :(

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

It's truly a very sad day for all gamers everywhere.

Iwata helped Nintendo become more relevant today as the company didn't perform well before he became president. Through products like the much-loved Nintendo DS and the very-accessible Wii, Nintendo became relevant again in the gaming market.

Not to mention he was god-like in programming, like what Daring mentioned. 

He has given us lots of accessible fun and memories that also help people like us express our inner child. Sure, they may not have ultra-realistic 4K Ultra HD graphics, or the most immersive voice-acting, or full of features, but what Nintendo systems and games have that many others don't is lots of fun and a personal connection.

Given that much of my childhood and preteen life was centered around Nintendo in terms of gaming, you would've known the impact that this had on me and others. 

On a side note, his death at 55 shows us how lethal cancer really is. His mission is to ensure that our lives were never boring and were filled with fun. But cancer would not allow him to succeed. Screw cancer...

55 years old isn't even considered old.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Sleep well Mr Iwata

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I will play on my 3DS XL tonight in his honor.

I played too :D

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

RIP.

He was a great president, despite how crap nintendo is nowadays.

IMO the future looks dark for ninteno as they look for a new leader 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I'm replaying Yellow tonight :'(

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

The tears aren't really going to start flowing until we have the fanart of people trying to use Revives and fairies on him...

What a sad news to wake up to.   :(

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr