BlackBerry Venice Android-powered curved-display slider(?) tipped for AT&T

Aniallation

Wait went crazy as in they didnt like it, or crazy as in they did. Lol, I mean they need to set there eyes on the bigger picture and all consumers not just there old blackberry keyboard fans

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

If it has Android or BB10, I  really don't care, I just hope this phone has a decent price. I haven't wanted a phone in a long time since there really hasn't been any improvements over the years(I still see no reason to upgrade my Note 2), but this "slider" really looks like a cool device. I still prefer physical keyboards over software keyboards, and I'm not sure how long my D4 will last(this thing is terribly slow). I had a Q5 and loved it, other than the screen, which this one addresses my problems with that 1:1 "low res" display.

Wait went crazy as in they didnt like it, or crazy as in they did. Lol, I mean they need to set there eyes on the bigger picture and all consumers not just there old blackberry keyboard fans

They liked it lol, cause back then BlackBerry actually made somewhat of an effort to keep up in app support compared to the competition (this was back when the Galaxy S1 just came out, keep in mind)

"Rawr XD"

They liked it lol, cause back then BlackBerry actually made somewhat of an effort to keep up in app support compared to the competition (this was back when the Galaxy S1 just came out, keep in mind)

Ahh I agree then, I misunderstood. This actually seems impressive. The thing with android is, Any company just has to make a good phone at a good price and itll sell, Since they still all do the same thing. So this could be big if they play there cards right.

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

• 1 month later...

If the price is right, this is THE phone for people that owned a blackberry before. I would love to spend $600 on this device.

I bet you it's going to launch for $750

If they abandon BB10, they're done for.

couldn't have said it any better myself.

I think i'm one of the only people who still enjoys their blackberry, and genuinely like the look and feel of BB OS 10.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

couldn't have said it any better myself.

I think i'm one of the only people who still enjoys their blackberry, and genuinely like the look and feel of BB OS 10.

I am very happy with my BlackBerry Z30, and MG2R is quite fond of his too. I very much prefer BB 10 to Android. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I disagree.

Android might be what people know and love, but it's a stagnant OS right now for manufacturers. It is a colossal market which is already fully saturated with phones of every conceivable type - unless you have a brand following or something very unique to bring to the table, it's very difficult to compete. BlackBerry don't have the brand recognition they once had, and their strength lies in their software not hardware. By throwing Android on their device they're playing with their weakest hand. They can't skin the OS too much to implement BB10 features because that would make the adoption of Android completely pointless - most of the Android fanbase appears to dislike the idea of anything other than the stock version anyway.

I truly hope this turns out to be false, as I don't think it is a wise investment of their money and time. They should be focusing on further differentiating themselves in the market, by providing services and features that simply aren't available on other platforms. If they abandon BB10, they're done for.

Thing is, even though I'd agree it's not the ideal choice, I don't think they have much of a choice at this point: the only option is to attempt to either go with Microsoft (which won't pay off enough to save the company, at least not for a long while) or try to relaunch their own OS and sell that. Guess what? Both options are infinitely worst than the bad choice of Android which is the best out of a long list of nothing but fairly bad options they have.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On Twitter, a person with the name of Evan Blass, freelancer editorialist, posted a leaked picture of Blackberry coming up phone running Android he was able to get his hands on. The phone seams to feature a micro-USB connector and has a slide out keyboard for providing a hybrid experience between touch screen and typing on a keyboard.

CMwEvNzUsAAe8KH.jpg

CMvvZotXAAAsqAl.jpg

The phone (or at least the project name) seams to be called Venice, based on his Tweets.

It is expected to launch with Android 5.x Lollipop, and not 6.x

Of course, we have to keep in mind that those could have been photoshopped.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/blackberrys-new-android-phone-shows-off-its-slide-out-qwerty-keyboard-in-leaked-image

Are you interested in such phone with a slide out keyboard, or touch screen keyboard for life? Are you willing to consider Blackberry phone again now that it is running Android?

On Twitter, a person with the name of Evan Blass, freelancer editorialist, posted a leaked picture of Blackberry coming up phone running Android he was able to get his hands on. The phone seams to feature a micro-USB connector and has a slide out keyboard for providing a hybrid experience between touch screen and typing on a keyboard.

WHAT IS THIS 2007

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

AWWW, WHY DOES THE KEYBOARD HAVE TO SLIDE OUT THAT WAY?!

It is blackberry, that has been its plan for a while.

If only they made a move like this 5 years ago. I've always thought that MS should have just licensed Windows Phone to RIM exclusively and they would have ended up in a much better place than they are now.

Fun fact, Blackberry/RIM's stock price fell 70% during the first year of iPhone.

AWWW, WHY DOES THE KEYBOARD HAVE TO SLIDE OUT THAT WAY?!

I agree, landscape keyboard would be much better.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

some say that when you slide out the keyboard, the phone becomes taller than the Eiffel tower

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Now i want an Xperia Play.

I ALWAYS wanted one, they just look so cool with the flip out button. 

I hope that the OS is going to be as stock looking as the render suggests. We need more Motorolas, Onepluss, and anyone else who keeps the OS squeaky clean. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Thing is, even though I'd agree it's not the ideal choice, I don't think they have much of a choice at this point: the only option is to attempt to either go with Microsoft (which won't pay off enough to save the company, at least not for a long while) or try to relaunch their own OS and sell that. Guess what? Both options are infinitely worst than the bad choice of Android which is the best out of a long list of nothing but fairly bad options they have.

I suppose it depends on your perspective.

With BlackBerry 10, they have complete freedom to create an OS that distinguishes their devices from the generic Android-powered crowd. They can focus on including unique productivity features, tools and security. At the end of the day Android is far from a 'get out of jail free card'. It's a very competitive, very saturated market which is enormously difficult to achieve a lot of success in. The adoption of Android could indeed prove to be lucrative for the company but I'm dubious.

Companies such as Samsung are successful because they have a fortune to spend on marketing and advertisement for their devices, whilst companies such as OnePlus are successful by utilising very clever marketing techniques, artificially limiting availability of their devices to drive hype and significantly undercutting their competition price-wise - BlackBerry do not have enough money to afford grandiose advertising like Samsung, and I don't think they have an appropriate brand recognition to pull marketing ploys in the same manner as OnePlus have. For BlackBerry to succeed then with an Android powered device I feel that they will need a lot more than just a physical keyboard - those interested in such a feature are a minority of even the business and enterprise market, let alone the general consumer one. So why would a normal consumer buy a BlackBerry Venice if they can buy a Samsung Galaxy S7 or some such instead? I'd possibly even go so far as to suggest that a good number of the users who would be interested in such a device would likewise be interested in the enhanced productivity features present in BB10.

Perhaps the device will feature both operating systems, allowing the user to choose between them on bootup.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

some say that when you slide out the keyboard, the phone becomes taller than the Eiffel tower

That must be a very versatile keyboard (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Well since it's been merged from the repost 

I believe it's a nice sight to see something different once in a while

Physical keys are like the mech keys of the phones today

They're hard to find, but worth it to type on for the feedback you get

Now my phone can suffer erections now?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

*insert shut up and take my money gif*

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here