AMD's R9 Fury X - Pump Whine Fixed

TwistedDictator

Since users can take off the R9 Fury X's face plate without damaging their warranties, owners can easily identify if they have a newer, revised R9 Fury X or not and then ask for a replacement from their retailer, if they are having problems with pump noise. 

Right now we have seen no reports of the newer (chrome logo) model which has any problems related to pump noise. This means that most R9 Fury X GPUs on the market should not exhibit any issues related to pump noise.

Right now it looks like those suffering from Pump noise issues are in the minority, with this issue only affecting the first batch of GPUs. Those looking to purchase an R9 Fury X now will likely not be getting a model from the first batch of GPUs, so the likelihood of getting a defective model now is minimal.

Sourcehttp://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_s_revised_r9_fury_x_-_pump_whine_issues/1

Pump Noise has been fixed. The noise was only a minority of people, only on the first batch!

I guess the Fury X is going to be a awesome card!

Some benchmarks

Fury-X-Benchmark-Witcher-3.jpg

Fury-X-Benchmark-tombraider.jpg

Fury-X-Benchmark-assassin-creed-unity.jp

furyX-GTA-V-Benchmark.jpg

Edited by Glenwing
Spoiler fixed

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

"Fixed"

Just Like AMD drivers were "Fixed" 
And Nvidia's Drivers were "Fixed"

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Also now it's awesome???

Maybe if it gets bios hacked to allow more than a 10% overclock.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Nice, 

so it's cooler, potentially quieter now and runs pretty much the same as the 980Ti (And better at 4k on games that aren't optimized better for nvidia) if you don't take into account overclocking. 

I would much rather have a reference Fury X at this point then a reference 980Ti, but I'd still rather have a non reference 980Ti and overclock it for even better performance, but that does have a higher cost. And depending on how much this pump issue was 'fixed' more noise. 

The 2 cards are starting to stack up very nicely alongside each other :)

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Really it was always a good card, people just expected too much from it and overhyped too much, alongside AMD overhyping it a bit.

It is still to bad that AMD made the horrible choice to say it would be fixed for retail versions and still let that first run go you knowing that it had problem.

It is nice to see that they are working on fixing the issue that the card has.

To eveyone talking about need a hacked BIOS to unlock the voltage, are we positive that it's not just something missing from overclocking programs at the moment? It seems extremely unusual for AMD to lock voltage completely, and as far as I'm aware they haven't issued any statement. (And everyone knew that you wouldn't be able to change voltage in Overdrive.)

Wow those benchmark charts are trying they're asses off to make the Fury X look better. Where it wins the intervals are smaller to make the gap look bigger and when it looses in GTA 5 they made the interval quite a bit bigger to make the gap look smaller. A bit of bias with these.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

It's not just the first batch. And way to chnge the scale on the benchamrks.

The one that you put it with the furyx loosing, a token of course, has a different scale to make it look better.

And cherry pick them.

Every site I've seen has w3 with the fury x loosing.

The pump is all them going CM instead of asetek

The one that you put it with the furyx loosing, a token of course, has a different scale to make it look better.

And cherry pick them.

Several people are confirming new embossed coolers, that do not whine, so you cannot conclude that.

Nothing wrong with the scaling of the benchmarks. They all start with 0, and the size seems to be right.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

And cherry pick them.

You can see that for the GTA V chart not only does it go up in 10's but the actual distance between the lines are also bigger??.. Probably not to the same scale, but I doubt they are trying their hardest to make the Fury X look good, it's just the nicest way to present it. It's the one with the biggest gap so it isn't surprising that they decided to present it with a bigger scale. 

Also where are you getting this 'not only the first batch' info from?

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

It is still to bad that AMD made the horrible choice to say it would be fixed for retail versions and still let that first run go you knowing that it had problem.

It is nice to see that they are working on fixing the issue that the card has.

Technically I don't know that AMD specifically said it was fixed for retail, however their communication was very insinuative that the issue was only initial pre-release product runs.

If people who brought aren't happy and they can RMA for a new one then all is well.  Now we just need to see how much farther this card will perform with tweaks and adjustments.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Technically I don't know that AMD specifically said it was fixed for retail, however their communication was very insinuative that the issue was only initial pre-release product runs.

If people who brought aren't happy and they can RMA for a new one then all is well.  Now we just need to see how much farther this card will perform with tweaks and adjustments.

im going off what was said on the pcper podcast yesterday ryan said that amd had said the problem would be fixed for retail products and was only in review sample.

im going off what was said on the pcper podcast yesterday ryan said that amd had said the problem would be fixed for retail products and was only in review sample.

He actually claimed that?  wow,  I only read the article he published, and having not gone back to it I didn't want to make claims.

In my mind either way it's pretty bad,  I hold all marketing and company communications to an insanely high level (people are gullible).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

He actually claimed that?  wow,  I only read the article he published, and having not gone back to it I didn't want to make claims.

In my mind either way it's pretty bad,  I hold all marketing and company communications to an insanely high level (people are gullible).

so i went and found where in the pcper podcast the fury x stuff starts and the quote from amd is

starts @ 46:00  and the quote come sin right around 47:40

Really it was always a good card, people just expected too much from it and overhyped too much, alongside AMD overhyping it a bit.

More than "a bit".

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

so i went and found where in the pcper podcast the fury x stuff starts and the quote from amd is

starts @ 46:00  and the quote come sin right around 47:40

Yep, that definitely claims that is was only samples and not retail product that was effected.  

Yep, that definitely claims that is was only samples and not retail product that was effected.  

so it not pcper putting the fix down but just rather that AMD knew the problem and still allowed the ones with issues to go out and be sold

More than "a bit".

Whatevs

Typical AMD fanboy.

And cherry pick them.

The highest number on the scale is based on what the highest frame rate on the chart is. What are you even talking about?

With the 980ti Classified only being $700, I think its the much better buy.

The highest number on the scale is based on what the highest frame rate on the chart is. What are you even talking about?

The charts where the fury x winds is 5 fps per line, the one where it looses is 10. They are all under 50. Plus everything I've seen thus far has those wrong, even though the fury  x does trade blows, not with those games really.

Second chart spelled TressFX wrong. TessFX what is that? I mean come on you had one job.

The charts where the fury x winds is 5 fps per line, the one where it looses is 10. They are all under 50. Plus everything I've seen thus far has those wrong, even though the fury  x does trade blows, not with those games really.

That's not a different scale. Also, the GTAV graph ends at 60FPS, which may explain that difference.