AMD's R9 Fury X - Pump Whine Fixed

TwistedDictator

So you never buy a new GPU? Pretty much every single GPU isn't working as well as it could out of the box after launch.

Actually I have only had that problem with my previous R9 280x(s). Driver was always crashing, had to disable X-fire to get it to stop.

Did not have the problem with the 8800GTX, GTX 260, GTX 260 (C-216), GTX 680 and now my current GTX 780Ti(s)

All these cards were bought on the release date, except for the GTX 260 C-216

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Actually I have only had that problem with my previous R9 280x(s). Driver was always crashing, had to disable X-fire to get it to stop.

Did not have the problem with the 8800GTX, GTX 260, GTX 260 (C-216), GTX 680 and now my current GTX 780Ti(s)

All these cards were bought on the release date.

And every one of them got performance gains over time.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

And every one of them got performance gains over time.

That is true, but never enough to to make anything marginally different.

I've seen more performance bumps from game patches rather than drivers.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

maybe, but pretty much all the reliable reviews have the Fury X beaten by the 980 Ti in W3 by anywhere from 3-5fps at 4k, and in this review, by a site that trys to make the Fury X look better, somehow the Fury X beats the 980 Ti by around 10%. A bit strange to be coincidental don't you think? Became pretty obvious to me when they didn't use Hairworks but used TressFX.

Then you have been cherry picking Nvidia-friendly sites. Tom's Hardware shows the Fury X edging out both the 980 Ti and Titan X in Witcher 3 at 4K.

As for the pump noise to get back on topic, it was not the fault of amd however the part they played would have been in the qa department. They would have heard it and should have addressed the issue prerelease.

How is the pump noise not the fault of AMD? It was AMD who picked the pump, it was AMD that tested the pump and it was AMD who decided that the pump passed their quality assurance testing.

The pump being noisy is 100% AMD's fault. It would be Nvidia's fault if they decided to cheap out on the power delivery circuitry on some high end card and they all caught fire too.

Anyway I don't think the pump noise was the deal breaker for most people (there are other drawbacks compared to the competitors) but it's nice that they have one of the problems fixed at least.

Can some mod please delete the benchmarks? We already have a bunch of threads about Fury X benchmarks and this thread is suppose to be about the pump.

The numbers might be legit, but the huge problem is they are not presented fairly and they are not posted in any context (no explanation, link or or testing rational)

maybe, but pretty much all the reliable reviews have the Fury X beaten by the 980 Ti in W3 by anywhere from 3-5fps at 4k, and in this review, by a site that trys to make the Fury X look better, somehow the Fury X beats the 980 Ti by around 10%. A bit strange to be coincidental don't you think? Became pretty obvious to me when they didn't use Hairworks but used TressFX.

The link is in the image I think, in some cases it was close to the fury X but lost in GTA V

furyX-GTA-V-Benchmark.jpg

Fury-X-Benchmark-assassin-creed-unity.jp

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

How is the pump noise not the fault of AMD? It was AMD who picked the pump, it was AMD that tested the pump and it was AMD who decided that the pump passed their quality assurance testing.

The pump being noisy is 100% AMD's fault. It would be Nvidia's fault if they decided to cheap out on the power delivery circuitry on some high end card and they all caught fire too.

Anyway I don't think the pump noise was the deal breaker for most people (there are other drawbacks compared to the competitors) but it's nice that they have one of the problems fixed at least.

Can some mod please delete the benchmarks? We already have a bunch of threads about Fury X benchmarks and this thread is suppose to be about the pump.

Thats absurd. Thats like buying a car that has problems and being told its your fault its got problems, you bought it.

They paid cm to make them pumps. Cm screwed it up by giving them noisy pumps and amds fault was letting it get distribuited with such a noisy pump.

Thats absurd. Thats like buying a car that has problems and being told its your fault its got problems, you bought it.

They paid cm to make them pumps. Cm screwed it up by giving them noisy pumps and amds fault was letting it get distribuited with such a noisy pump.

they screwed up by switching from asetek, a company with ag great qc reputation for water cooling solutions, to cm.

So what does the new pump look like? Different logo or something?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

So what does the new pump look like? Different logo or something?

Instead of a sticker it has the coolermaster logo embossed on it. Still same size and dimensions

Your analogy makes no sense at all, it is completely wrong.  No one is insinuating it is the customers fault, the Fault 100% lies with AMD, they make all the calls, they determine each products design and specifications and they have the final say on what get purchased and used. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Your analogy makes no sense at all, it is completely wrong. No one is insinuating it is the customers fault, the Fault 100% lies with AMD, they make all the calls, they determine each products design and specifications and they have the final say on what get purchased and used.

So what you are saying is that it is amds fault that the pump that they had not built has issues? Thats ludicrous.

Amd IS the customer in my analogy.

So what you are saying is that it is amds fault that the pump that they had not built has issues? Thats ludicrous.

No,  you and I are the customer, AMD is the manufacturer and CM is the OEM.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Pump Noise has been fixed. The noise was only a minority of people, only on the first batch

Much like the 970/980 Coil whine, whiney FuryX pumps are an outlier as well. the internet just loves to blow anything (out of proportion).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Actually, in your analogy AMD is the distributor, not the customer. Whether or not AMD has built the pump by their own hands completely misses the point @mr moose was making. It was AMD that selected Cooler Master to build the pump for the Fury X cards, therefore it is the responsibility of nobody except AMD to make sure it passes quality control testing prior to the cards being released to the consumers.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Actually, in your analogy AMD is the distributor, not the customer. Whether or not AMD has built the pump by their own hands completely misses the point @mr moose was making. It was AMD that selected Cooler Master to build the pump for the Fury X cards, therefore it is the responsibility of nobody except AMD to make sure it passes quality control testing prior to the cards being released to the consumers.

And if you read my previous posts thats exactly what i said. I stated it was amds fault it passed qa with severe noises and that the cards should never have been released.

however the pump noise issue was not amds fault but cooler masters.

No, you and I are the customer, AMD is the manufacturer and CM is the OEM.

You overlooked my point entirely. I am not talking about you and i being the customer but specifically Amd being a customer of cm.

You overlooked my point entirely. I am not talking about you and i being the customer but specifically Amd being a customer of cm.

I don't think so.  You don't seem to understand how manufacturing and outsourcing (OEM) works.

I don't think so. You don't seem to understand how manufacturing and outsourcing (OEM) works.

And you dont understand how to comprehend.

Then you have been cherry picking Nvidia-friendly sites. Tom's Hardware shows the Fury X edging out both the 980 Ti and Titan X in Witcher 3 at 4K.

Techreport, TPU, PCGamer (who was sponsored by AMD at the E3 PCGS), MaximumPC, Guru3d, Tweaktown and Forbes / Jayztwocentz for the lolz. Even Tom's Hardware reports a .5 fps difference, and that is well within the margin of error, so yeah. If you call this "cherry picking", might as well just go call Linus a liar for saying the Fury X performed worse than the 980 Ti on the WAN show  

And my point with Gameworks and TressFX still stands. 

And you dont understand how to comprehend.

Righto then.

Techreport, TPU, PCGamer (who was sponsored by AMD at the E3 PCGS), MaximumPC, Guru3d, Tweaktown and Forbes / Jayztwocentz for the lolz. Even Tom's Hardware reports a .5 fps difference, and that is well within the margin of error, so yeah. If you call this "cherry picking", might as well just go call Linus a liar for saying the Fury X performed worse than the 980 Ti on the WAN show  

And my point with Gameworks and TressFX still stands. 

Most of those sites are shit (for this purpose anyway). I mean, Forbes? Really?

Most of those sites are shit (for this purpose anyway). I mean, Forbes? Really?

I did say for the lolz... And Techpowerup, techreport, and maximumpc is shit at benchmarking? And Tom's Hardware somehow magically isn't?

And the ocing potential? Are they going to "fix" that?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

So, did they fix the terrible coil whine too? Or was that actually the pump as well?

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."