TSA stole laptops and more, what to do?

TechnoNerd

the TSA stole my checked bag and say it's "lost" and I had a bunch of clothes, hygene products, and two laptops without hdds or ram in the bag. is there any way I can file a claim or anything? They say the bag is lost but that seems very unlikely. In 3 days I can file a claim with united and they'll replace my stuff but they might need proof of purchase for the laptops, however I don't have the receipt or anything because they're both a year old. what can/should I do?

(yes ik I shouldn't have packed it in a checked bag but I didn't have any room in carry ons and I needed the laptops)

-Specs on my profile-

the fuck? and you just let them take it?

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

no. it was a checked bag. stored under the plane. but on my connecting flight my bag was left at the airport. they "can't find it" and there's I had a tracker in the bag. the tracker was disabled so I can't find the bag. ik it might be been lost but the chances of it getting stolen are a lot higher.

-Specs on my profile-

the TSA stole my checked bag and say it's "lost" and I had a bunch of clothes, hygene products, and two laptops without hdds or ram in the bag. is there any way I can file a claim or anything? They say the bag is lost but that seems very unlikely. In 3 days I can file a claim with united and they'll replace my stuff but they might need proof of purchase for the laptops, however I don't have the receipt or anything because they're both a year old. what can/should I do?

(yes ik I shouldn't have packed it in a checked bag but I didn't have any room in carry ons and I needed the laptops)

Why I love European laws.. if your bag goes missing they HAVE to pay for replacement.. or any damage (beyond cosmetic to luggage)

Even if your bags late they have to cover any costs you incur. (eg clothes you need or anything else)

So far I've had a new suit , tie, shirt and shoes (was going to a wedding and they lost my bag) also a new suitcase as they destryed mine.. and a new Dell U2713hm as they damaged that (it was in origonal box etc and looked like they played football with it)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

no. it was a checked bag. stored under the plane. but on my connecting flight my bag was left at the airport. they "can't find it" and there's I had a tracker in the bag. the tracker was disabled so I can't find the bag. ik it might be been lost but the chances of it getting stolen are a lot higher.

If it's in the airport, under the terminal, the tracker won't work anyway.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

They can easily open most bags and take stuff out of them. The only bags that they can't do much about are the ones with are hardcases and with high security padlocks.

They can easily open most bags and take stuff out of them. The only bags that they can't do much about are the ones with are hardcases and with high security padlocks.

Is that allowed still? Every time I am forced to go to the US I need to leave my bags open because Customs WILL use brute force to get inside them.

well I found out that the scans of my luggage are stored for 7 days so hopefully I can use that to show I had the laptops.

-Specs on my profile-

Have a police report filled up, and contact your house insurance. Based on your premium, it can cover you against the laptop being stolen. How much money you get will vary on your policy.

the TSA stole my checked bag

this is extremely misleading.  put this:

no. it was a checked bag. stored under the plane. but on my connecting flight my bag was left at the airport. they "can't find it" 

in the OP.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

They lost me a suitcase full of canadian souvenirs in 2010, but I've been repayed for that around 1000€ worth of items.

Hard rock cafe shirt with the maple leaf on the back, I miss you :c

Really hope you had a backup of everything...

two laptops without hdds or ram in the bag.

You should probably read OP's post a bit more :P

OT: go and talk to them, im sure they can locate it. Things don't just go "missing" and generally can be tracked.

Say that it has very important school work thats used to decide which college you get into or something, they dont know it doesnt had a hdd

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Always keep all electronics in your carry on. Anything in a checked bag usually gets looked at and it's extremely common for TSA to employ thieves. 

Why I love European laws.. if your bag goes missing they HAVE to pay for replacement.. or any damage (beyond cosmetic to luggage)

Even if your bags late they have to cover any costs you incur. (eg clothes you need or anything else)

So far I've had a new suit , tie, shirt and shoes (was going to a wedding and they lost my bag) also a new suitcase as they destryed mine.. and a new Dell U2713hm as they damaged that (it was in origonal box etc and looked like they played football with it)

WTF! On a trip from Phoenix to Tokyo (layover in Seattle) United forced me to check my carry on because it was too big for the overheads (they claimed although not true) on the (unscheduled) express jet to Seattle. When the lady came around and marked my bag as too big I expressly told her there was about $12,000 worth of camera equipment inside and that it was fragile, she ensured me it would be safe. Not two minutes later when walking down the ramp to board a United employee passed me carrying my bag, as I watched, at the end of the ramp he just plops the bag down and before I can even say anything picks it back up and walks off to load it. First thing I did when I got to Seattle was check my equipment, lo and behold one of the lenses worth about $1,400 (USD) was snapped into two. I immediately attempted to report it to United, but because my flight to Tokyo was less than an hour away they told me I should report it in Tokyo. In Tokyo I was told that United would only cover the cost of damage to the actual bag, but not its contents.  After making the report I never did hear back from United or anyone else. Unfortunately I didn't have travelers insurance, because I expected to have my bag in my control the entire time, which would have been the case if United had actually used the 767 that was originally scheduled to take us to Seattle. Not only did United screw me out of several hundred dollars to repair the lens, they screwed me out of the flight I paid for.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Well, The TSA don't actually touch your bags. They are security.

It would be the airlines fault, since the bag is checked in at the airline front desk, taken by airline staff to their baggage staff and loaded on to the planes.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I've had them cut the pad locks off; now I just use zip ties, they're cheaper.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Seriously doubt the TSA stole your whole bag... It's really common in third world countries, but not so much in first world countries. 

It's probably just lost for real mate, it happens sometimes where a careless employee might unload some baggage onto the wrong ramp, and it ends up on a plane to Malaysia. It's far more common in the US than the tsa breaking into, and stealing your stuff...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Seriously doubt the TSA stole your whole bag... It's really common in third world countries, but not so much in first world countries. 

It's probably just lost for real mate, it happens sometimes where a careless employee might unload some baggage onto the wrong ramp, and it ends up on a plane to Malaysia. It's far more common in the US than the tsa breaking into, and stealing your stuff...

The TSA steals stuff literally all the time. 

http://rt.com/usa/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/

The best way to keep your stuff is to only put clothing in your checked luggage. Any electronics should be in your carry on so nobody can access it without your knowledge. 

but they might need proof of purchase for the laptops, however I don't have the receipt or anything because they're both a year old.

really? you will need some kind of proof of purchase for any insurrance to cover anything ...

where did you buy them?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

either way I am pissed off. how would you feel if you lost ALL the cloths you normally wear, epi pens, glasses, contacts, and 2 laptops.

-Specs on my profile-