Jayz2cents' video on the Fury X

Sauron

Isnt the low overclocking margins because of fury x using a similar underlying architecture to the 200 series, and just more cores?

the 290/ 290x barely overclocked, and this seems to be a similar story

no 290x is GCN 1.1 Fury is GCN 1.2 (R9 285 / R9 380) my 290X can get almost 100 with no voltage change, just like the fury, but I can get 100-200 with 100 mV and 200-300 with 200 mV (as far as I can remember) so its not bad, you just need to be able to overvolt it.

i think the fury is so new the OC software cant/does not know how to adjust voltage.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Yea, just like I'm sure a custom fan profile would have helped a reference 290x.....

I can't speak for a 290x. I CAN speak for a 980 Ti. I never get over 65 in gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

no 290x is GCN 1.1 Fury is GCN 1.2 (R9 285 / R9 380) my 290X can get almost 100 with no voltage change, just like the fury, but I can get 100-200 with 100 mV and 200-300 with 200 mV (as far as I can remember) so its not bad, you just need to be able to overvolt it.

i think the fury is so new the OC software cant/does not know how to adjust voltage.

What would that be in actual core clocks? cant say that I have seen a 290x go above 1100mhz, however my experience with them has been fairly minimal...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

This guy is a big NVIDIA fanboy lol. Get his scummy video off the channel.

You can instantly tell he is biased. I love how he says the 980ti can overclock more when he hasnt even overclock the fury...

He did, he got it to 1128 from 1050.

This guy is a big NVIDIA fanboy lol. Get his scummy video off the channel.

You can instantly tell he is biased. I love how he says the 980ti can overclock more when he hasnt even overclock the fury...

thought he said that he did oc the fury x

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

What would that be in actual core clocks? cant say that I have seen a 290x go above 1100mhz, however my experience with them has been fairly minimal...

the farthest I got mine was 1250 I think, I ran it at 1200 ish for a while. but when I overclock my monitor it cause the monitor to artifact if I had a overvolt. then I dropped it to 1050.

I think the display controller chip didn't like the extra voltage when pushing 100Hz 1440p over DL-DVI. ( that is close or beyond the limits of the cable/ports.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1knE1MXUbQ3tyR48CuD_6K_EfCF3cHHqL9ra5NPt6o8U/edit#gid=1

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

gpu-temps.gif

you can't compare a water cooled gpu to a air cooled one apples and oranges man, wheres the EVGA 980 ti hybrid in this benchmark? oh its conveniently missing.  Jays 980 ti hybrid video had 50 degree celcius max overclocked to 1484mhz. It costs more but nvidia usually does, so that's your trade off cost more but better performance with overclocking or cost less with lower performance overclocking.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Am I the only one who finds this guy annoying? His acting does not remind me of a real tech enthuziast...but a lucky guy who has a lot if views. Linus has his charm with his bad jokes and unknowledge. /nohomo

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

So much hate for AMD... once again I think the Fury non X will take the show with it's lower price and performance to justify being 50$ more then the 980...

This card can actually be worth picking up for more people that are not in the US market.. 980ti and fury X are both priced pretty much at 800$ CAD None reference is bring that up like 50$. The fury non x will be priced the same as a non reference 980ti in the US at like 670$.

AMD atleast has some leverage to get people to buy their cards because it's already watercooled. but the 390x can go away because that shit is OP in Canada compared to the 290x.

What really annoys me is that AMD maybe not have drivers every other game launch but atleast they don't crash all the time like most of my nvidia drivers did on my old card. (750ti).

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Am I the only one who finds this guy annoying? His acting does not remind me of a real tech enthuziast...but a lucky guy who has a lot if views. Linus has his charm with his bad jokes and unknowledge. /nohomo

It gets worst when you get into some of the obvious omissions and character flaws myself and @Notional have pointed out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So much hate for AMD... once again I think the Fury non X will take the show with it's lower price and performance to justify being 50$ more then the 980...

This card can actually be worth picking up for more people that are not in the US market.. 980ti and fury X are both priced pretty much at 800$ CAD None reference is bring that up like 50$. The fury non x will be priced the same as a non reference 980ti in the US at like 670$.

AMD atleast has some leverage to get people to buy their cards because it's already watercooled. but the 390x can go away because that shit is OP in Canada compared to the 290x.

I think AMD might pull an NVidia here like GTX 970 vs 980 where 970 was the better option. R9 Fury - with it's custom coolers and the like - might be a killer. Here's to hoping. 

I think AMD might pull an NVidia here like GTX 970 vs 980 where 970 was the better option. R9 Fury - with it's custom coolers and the like - might be a killer. Here's to hoping. 

AMD always hate the better options being the x950's and non x's. it's going to be really nice to see where that card performance if it's performance differents is like ~10% of the fury x it'll be a true winner.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Yea, just like I'm sure a custom fan profile would have helped a reference 290x.....

It did?

Jay is mediocre when it comes to benches. We are talking about the guy who plays BF4 @ 75 fov, and did a full bench run in Witcher 3 with vsync on (and used the results in his vid). He is ok, and I do watch a lot of his stuff, but he is an admitted green team person. He tries to justify this with numbers not lying, but really, we all know that is not true, as you can just use certain settings and games, that favour one over the other. To his defence, it does seem like he doesn't use GameWorks, so that is very much competent.

But in this review, he uses only massively overclocked NVidia cards against a ~50mhz OC'd Fury X. He states this and then does a quick run of factory 980ti's, though we don't know what speed they run at, and compares that to the 50mhz OC'd Fury X, and uses that tiny oc against it. Not exactly fair.

I do get the critique of the small OC of the card, since AMD themselves, have stated this is an OC's dream card. Let's see, once the voltage regulation is unlocked, which we might see on software soon. As long as the MOSFETS can handle it, it should be good all around. The critique on not being able to OC HBM is really dumb though. NOTHING comes even close to the HBM Fury X has, no matter how much OC the GDDR5 vram gets, so what's the point? A new tech, that might not have the necessary headroom or stability in OC, as manufacturing is completely new. At least PCPer stated this was a complete non issue.

There is a reason why 980ti's are clocked the way they are: It is what NVidia can guarantee, so not all will be able to OC to 1500, or even 1300mhz. But at least he admits his bias, so just bear that in mind.

Linus literally dropped the card out of his car. These things happen, who knows what had gone wrong. Maybe one of the HBM modules had lost contact to the interposer or something. That is what happens, when you launch revolutionary technology.

This is perfectly fair, Is it Jays fault the card was marketed as an 'overclockers dream!' yet it can barely do shit. There is no point in saying 'once the voltages are unlocked' thats not acceptable if you market for one thing you damn well make sure it delivers on that from the get go. This is further backed up when you look at the AMD benchmarks and compare them to everyone elses results, AMD are lying about that as well so its really not a shock...

He is testing both cards at the best they can possibly be and it shows why the 980Ti with a small OC can beat it for Price/Performance. AMD is in a bad place IMO. Not to mention the pump sound and coil whine that the Fury X produces, it will put ALOT of people off.

Just to be clear I am not a green team or red team, I buy whoever is currently the best (I currently own two 290x's) but I plan to jump ship to 980Ti's for the better performance. At least I waited to find out about the Fury X but its not delivered on its promises for me.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This is perfectly fair, Is it Jays fault the card was marketed as an 'overclockers dream!' yet it can barely do shit. There is no point in saying 'once the voltages are unlocked' thats not acceptable if you market for one thing you damn well make sure it delivers on that from the get go.

He is testing both cards at the best they can possibly be and it shows why the 980Ti with a small OC can beat it for Price/Performance. AMD is in a bad place IMO. Not to mention the pump sound and coil whine that the Fury X produces, it will put ALOT of people off.

Like I said, the 980ti is only guaranteed to handle its stock speed. We cannot really conclude on Fury X's OC potential until we get software, that unlocks the voltage. It's fair to state this in the review, as he reviews what he has here and now. However software updates could unlock this soon. AMD usually don't voltage locks like NVidia, so this is not unrealistic to expect.

Even worse, how many of those 980ti's and Titan X's he showed, had custom water cooling? Then we are talking solutions that are 100-500$ NVidia cards + the other parts of the custom loop. You need to include that cost as well.

you can't compare a water cooled gpu to a air cooled one apples and oranges man, wheres the EVGA 980 ti hybrid in this benchmark? oh its conveniently missing.  Jays 980 ti hybrid video had 50 degree celcius max overclocked to 1484mhz. It costs more but nvidia usually does, so that's your trade off cost more but better performance with overclocking or cost less with lower performance overclocking.

Why not? It's stock card versus stock card, so it really is apples versus apples. If not, then you cannot compare a GDDR5 card to an HBM card either. If you still stand by your opinion, remember that an AIO also adds cost, so the price to performance cannot be compared either then.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Would like to know which drivers he used, I've just read this thread:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/393985-fury-x-possibly-reviewed-with-incorrect-drivers/page-1

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

gpu-temps.gif

Now I know for a fact that is BS. Because WE ALL know that a 290X runs hotter than a 780Ti and 980Ti

Also just to point something out. The reference Fury X trades blows and is equal to a 980Ti with watercooling. The 980Ti reference is an air cooler.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I still think AMD should be commended for bringing the product to market.  While I'm not interested in buying it, I am all the more excited to see what a next-gen 16nm chip + HBM2 will offer!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Now I know for a fact that is BS. Because WE ALL know that a 290X runs hotter than a 780Ti and 980Ti

Also just to point something out. The reference Fury X trades blows and is equal to a 980Ti with watercooling. The 980Ti reference is an air cooler.

Maybe you should shoot them an e-mail.

http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/13

I was not arguing about performance, I was talking about the OP and so many other people on the internet saying the Fury X isn't priced appropriately then point to after market 980ti or water cooled ones that cost more than the reference 980 ti to prove their point.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yes, I can. We're talking about the price, not the performance. The OP and so many others on the internet are complaining about the Fury X's price, when it is actually priced appropriately. Do tell, how much is the EVGA 980 ti hybrid?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

20df27b558123804ea9c637742a57a46.png That GPU rack though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Maybe you should shoot them an e-mail.

http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/13

I was not arguing about performance, I was talking about the OP and so many other people on the internet saying the Fury X isn't priced appropriately then point to after market 980ti or water cooled ones that cost more than the reference 980 ti to prove their point.

Maybe I should.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_review,9.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/16

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/23/amd_radeon_r9_290x_video_card_review/15#.VY3Z1xNViko

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

@Slinkey: A 290x non reference runs cooler than a 980ti (or 780ti) reference blower cooler. A 290x reference would be pinned above 90 and thermal throttle. The only reason for that chart however, it's because the Fury X has a water cooler as the reference cooler, so the comparison between it and a reference 980ti becomes fair game.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Youre a moron, they stated they are fixing the coil while (its to do with the pump btw) before consumer release, also how is it a shitty product? its clearly a step forward for GPUs, youre just too much of an idiot to oversee your fanboyness.

I actually am a moron, and I do recall Jay stating that the sample he got from visiontek was for retail.  How is the coil whine coming from the pump?  pump noise was one thing, and coil whine is another.

I don't particularly like Jay's testing methodology but it is more good relevant data to consider, and find character assassinations of him in this thread far fetched and in poor taste.

I havent watched it yet but i heard drivers are not good enough yet so im gonna hold my breath until AMD optimizes the shit out of the card.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE