Nvidia fanboys bad for the GPU market?

CostcoSamples

This is just a theory, and I'd like to hear what you guys think.  AMD has been struggling to keep up on the CPU and GPU markets.  Developing a new GPU can cost upwards of $1 BILLION, which is an insane amount of money.  If AMD falls too far behind, they will not have the capital to invest in R&D to stay competitive and may go bankrupt or restructure to no longer compete in the GPU market.  If this happens, there will be no real competition for Nvidia.  Lack of competition means we all get mediocre upgrades, higher prices, and the industry stalls until another competitor enters the game (which could take a long time, given the cost of R&D)

I am not saying anybody should go buy AMD for this reason alone, but perhaps it should be a small factor (maybe 10% of the decision).  I think it is a mistake to go full on Nvidia fanboy and ignore AMD because they run a little hotter.  AMD still makes good cards, and we should all avoid being a fanboy of either team.  I think it is worthwhile to give a bit of thought to the industry in general when making a purchase decision. 

The new AMD cards seem like they are good, so for the sake of future competition, lets give AMD cards the proper consideration they deserve.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

This is just a theory, and I'd like to hear what you guys think.  AMD has been struggling to keep up on the CPU and GPU markets.  Developing a new GPU can cost upwards of $1 BILLION, which is an insane amount of money.  If AMD falls too far behind, they will not have the capital to invest in R&D to stay competitive and may go bankrupt or restructure to no longer compete in the GPU market.  If this happens, there will be no real competition for Nvidia.  Lack of competition means we all get mediocre upgrades, higher prices, and the industry stalls until another competitor enters the game (which could take a long time, given the cost of R&D)

I am not saying anybody should go buy AMD for this reason alone, but perhaps it should be a small factor (maybe 10% of the decision).  I think it is a mistake to go full on Nvidia fanboy and ignore AMD because they run a little hotter.  AMD still makes good cards, and we should all avoid being a fanboy of either team.  I think it is worthwhile to give a bit of thought to the industry in general when making a purchase decision. 

The new AMD cards seem like they are good, so for the sake of future competition, lets give AMD cards the proper consideration they deserve.

Lol looks who's the fanboy

I'm pretty damn sure developing a new GPU doesn't cost $1 billion.Especially when it's a rebrand.

Heck, their entire market cap is like $2 billion, including everything else that AMD is doing(CPUs, APUs).Nvidia's at ~$12B.Intel's at $152B.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Lol looks who's the fanboy

are you that stupid?  have you looked at my signature?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I think fanboying over one brand or the other is bad for the market. I would also say even more so than fanboying bein over a company being bad is one brand dominating the other so much so that there product isn't competitive i.e, Intel Mainstream i5, i7's versus Amd FX chips. I believe AMD can get on the same level as Nvidia but in order to that they will need to do a bit more to even things out and that would probably start with a few things. 1.) More Driver updates within a period of time. 2.) Better ways of coping with tech that Nvidia uses that AMD doesn't. 3.) Taking time to develop a CPU that can at the very least competete with the i5 unlocked CPU's of the world. No one is going to hand AMD a hand out they need to gamble and put money out there to gain it.

People are gonna buy what they wanna buy. Talking about it or hoping to change it won't make any difference.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

They had all the chances in the world to not screw up their product line, but AMD did.  All that money wasted into making crappy CPUs for so many generations that the whole company has been in the red for umpteen quarters.  Their GPU division is the only one making money.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Yep, have seen a lot of hate on AMD recently. 

Like the Fury memory not OC or the voltage locked thing.

But i bet if Nvidia was the first one to come out with a HBM card and locked the mem speed, nobody would bitch about it. Shows the amount of fanboys/ignorance on this forum.

Also, fanboys about rebraned. Do you even think AMD has enough money to create a new card gen every few years for each price bracket? 

Plus if AMD even goes out of business, everything will jack up in price due to Nvidia and Intel having a monopoly. 

AMD still makes GPUs that are good and still competitive, compared to their CPUs. AMD-Nets.png

Sorry, I don't spend my time reading thru everyones signatures. I have better things to do. If you're fine with NVidia, what's your problem? If NVidia starts doing bad, another company will likely come out and have way better GPUs and stuff. 

If anything they may help the market, It pushes competitors to be the best they can (AMD) and at the same time pushes down Nvidias prices.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Maybe if they whole r9 wasn't rebrands.....

Rebrand or refresh?  rebrand implies no changes, refresh implies they did some tweaking to improve an existing design.  Even Intel, who is incredibly rich, cannot afford to do a complete redesign with every generation.  AMD tries it and people go nuts.  It is insane.

PC Build

Desk Build

are you stupid?

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

are you stupid?

lol - possibly.  are you?

PC Build

Desk Build

Maybe if AMD could keep up with nvidia they would be a good choice. I aint gonna by a bad graphics card just to support the company. If they are gonna keep making bad graphics card and rebranding old ones then you have to expect people not to by them. Ok yes most of us like nvidia but if you want a high end gpu you dont really have a choice.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I personally dont give a crap about any of it. Fanboys for just about any product exist, its just a part of life. Like what you like, buy what you buy, dont sweat others. 

Depends on the nature of the fanboy. you have the passive fanboys who (sometimes viciously) defend their brand when its "attacked," and you have the aggressive fanboys that go out of their way to spread damaging rhetoric about other brands, start fanboy wars in forums, start/spread negative rumors etc.. Then there's the good samaritans who defend any product that's wrongfully portrayed, or try to clear up misinformation regardless of the brand. They too are labelled fanboys.

OP probably referring to the aggressive kind.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Maybe if AMD could keep up with nvidia they would be a good choice. I aint gonna by a bad graphics card just to support the company. If they are gonna keep making bad graphics card and rebranding old ones then you have to expect people not to by them. Ok yes most of us like nvidia but if you want a high end gpu you dont really have a choice.

You act like nvidia dont rebrand gpu's. 770/760 being the most recent.. And how are AMD bad graphics cards? This is the fanboy shit he's talking about.

lol - possibly.  are you?

don't seem to be, I feel like im properly educated and seem to know what im talking about. HBU?

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Yes Nvidia fanboys exist and yes they are bad for PC gaming in my opinion. Im not saying everyone who prefers Nvidia is a "fanboy", but they definitely exist, and in large numbers.

A fanboy is someone who simply will not ever consider an AMD card, often for vague reasons even they cant really explain, or for things that when Nvidia does, are OK, or for reasons that are simply demonstrably false. They will happily pay more for an Nvidia card that performs less well, simply because its an Nvidia card, and no amount of new information, examples, or contradictions will budge them.

This wouldn't be so annoying if they weren't so vocal and visible in their constant cheerleading for Nvidia. I swear there are times when Im sure someone has to be an Nvidia employee because theres just no way someone could possibly act that close minded and fanboyish without getting paid for it.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Well, any fanboy can be bad for any market.

AMDs position in the market place should make up 0% of your decision. You should only buy if it makes sense to do so based on your own requirements. But we do often see in threads on how people are pushing poorer performing Nvidia, except efficiency, at the same price point when it offers the OP no features they need.

I use both AMD and Nvidia. I do question why the Fury cards were delayed by so many months.