Nvidia fanboys bad for the GPU market?

CostcoSamples

I am willing to listen to someone debate why PC users should by a AMD card.

But as soon as I read a comment about even though the 300 series is rebranded that dates back to 2012, its performance is still fine as justification, loses all credibility.

The 300 series is a rebrand, and if done correctly and fairly would be little reason to debate over... But its not and you fail to see it or justify the whole GPU lineup with this almighty Fury we hear so much about. That is only one card in many.

The way GPU line ups work is kind of like this.  Say you make a new die like Maxwell (GM204).  You can cut it down (750Ti, 960, 970 and 980) to fill out the product stack, or you can fill your product stack with cards in your older line up. (GTX 680 --> GTX 770.  7870 --> 270x etc)  Fury couldn't be cut down too much because they designed it around HBM memory, which meant it would be cost prohibitive (and due to low yields of HBM, hard to supply ) for lower end cards.  Selling the Fury nano, Fury, FuryX and Dual Fury is four GPU's, not one.  There's going to be a slight performance difference between all the single die cards and then the dual GPU card is a higher end option.   Everyone says they didn't "bump them down a notch".  Yeah they did, their whole product stack got bumped down a notch to make room for four new SKU's on the enthusiast end.

The 390 cost nearly the same as the 290x did, the 390x is the one that costs more but it also competes with the $500 980 while the 290x was only competitive with the 970.  If you're sitting there saying "Why would I buy a 390x instead of a 290x" my response is "Why haven't you already bought a 290 /290x?   $230 for a 290 was the best GPU value in the entire fucking market for months."

And then if you look at the rest of the line up.  The 380 is a cheaper 285.  The 370 is a cheaper 270x.  The 360 is a cheaper 265.  What's to complain about there?  The 380x (full tonga) may still be a thing (not sure where the rumours are at) and will more than likely dethrone the 970.  You can complain it's just old cards or whatever, but they're still very good cards and worth the money they are being sold at.  The 290 and 290x were essentially "on  sale" for the last few months because they were priced so much cheaper than they should have been considering how good their performance is.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The way GPU line ups work is kind of like this.  Say you make a new die like Maxwell (GM204).  You can cut it down (750Ti, 960, 970 and 980) to fill out the product stack, or you can fill your product stack with cards in your older line up. (GTX 680 --> GTX 770.  7870 --> 270x etc)  Fury couldn't be cut down too much because they designed it around HBM memory, which meant it would be cost prohibitive (and due to low yields of HBM, hard to supply ) for lower end cards.  Selling the Fury nano, Fury, FuryX and Dual Fury is four GPU's, not one.  There's going to be a slight performance difference between all the single die cards and then the dual GPU card is a higher end option.   Everyone says they didn't "bump them down a notch".  Yeah they did, their whole product stack got bumped down a notch to make room for four new SKU's on the enthusiast end.

The 390 cost nearly the same as the 290x did, the 390x is the one that costs more but it also competes with the $500 980 while the 290x was only competitive with the 970.  If you're sitting there saying "Why would I buy a 390x instead of a 290x" my response is "Why haven't you already bought a 290 /290x?   $230 for a 290 was the best GPU value in the entire fucking market for months."

And then if you look at the rest of the line up.  The 380 is a cheaper 285.  The 370 is a cheaper 270x.  The 360 is a cheaper 265.  What's to complain about there?  The 380x (full tonga) may still be a thing (not sure where the rumours are at) and will more than likely dethrone the 970.  You can complain it's just old cards or whatever, but they're still very good cards and worth the money they are being sold at.  The 290 and 290x were essentially "on  sale" for the last few months because they were priced so much cheaper than they should have been considering how good their performance is.

I am not going to pretend you didn't make some valid points.

But I still stick by what I said and that is fine, difference of opinion. I think its awful that people justify the new pricing with saying things like "If you're sitting there saying "Why would I buy a 390x instead of a 290x" my response is "Why haven't you already bought a 290 /290x?" So the 290x was great and I should of bought that? if so what does the 390X offer then? As for the fury not being able to be cut down, I am aware that it cannot be cut down due to the new HBM. That is my point.

Moving forward with AMD they have created a beast of a card, that is high end and worthy of a high end price tag. 100%. That said they made choices to go after certain technologies that would result in them not being able to distribute their new chip through their user base from high to lower end, limiting it to high end users only. The lower end users are still left high and dry. As you said they should of bought a 290X... but that hardly justifies AMD bending over possibly new AMD fans. I am not debating the performance of the the 390X, its good... What I am saying is they reached that level with almost drivers alone, very little was done to the card. How is that fine? A 290X user has to have less performance because a 390X needs to be justified at that price? They are essentially charging people for better drivers. And what happens to that performance in 12 months are they still going to work hard on drivers then or are they going to be the same quaility of the 290X, its performance gain could shrink drastically. And if it remains the same good quality how do they justify that to the 200 series users?

I can afford a fury, and it did interest me but I am not going to support a company that 1 leaves it lower end fanbase behind and 2 thinks it fine charging more for drivers because that is exactly what they are doing in a bid to be seen as performance company instead of a budget company. Nvidia is not perfect either I switched and their last 3 driver releases have sucked ass TDR problems left right and center people are getting crashes using chrome... CHROME, the 3.5 fiasco sucked... but at the moment I think Nvidia is the lesser of two evils and I felt safest going with them over team red, which sucked because the 7970, my last card was the best card I ever owned... AMD is not the savoir or good guy that people make them out to be. Both companies need a serious readjusting of their values pronto.

I am not going to pretend you didn't make some valid points.

But I still stick by what I said and that is fine, difference of opinion. I think its awful that people justify the new pricing with saying things like "If you're sitting there saying "Why would I buy a 390x instead of a 290x" my response is "Why haven't you already bought a 290 /290x?"

So are you saying that the 290x was great and I should of bought that? if so what does the 390X offer then if the 290X is so great? As for the fury not being able to be cut down, I am aware that it cannot be cut down due to the new HBM. That is my point.

Moving forward with AMD they have created a beast of a card, that is high end and worthy of a high end price tag. 100%. That said they made choices to go after certain technologies that would result in them not being able to distribute their new chip through their user base from high to lower end, limiting it to high end users only. The lower end users are still left high and dry. As you said they should of bought a 290X... but that hardly justifies AMD bending over possibly new AMD fans. I am not debating the performance of the the 390X, its good... What I am saying is they reached that level with almost drivers alone, very little was done to the card. How is that fine? A 290X user has to have less performance because a 390X needs to be justified at that price? They are essentially charging people for better drivers. And what happens to that performance in 12 months are they still going to work hard on drivers then or are they going to be the same quaility of the 290X, its performance gain could shrink drastically. And if it remains the same good quality how do they justify that to the 200 series users?

I can afford a fury, and it did interest me but I am not going to support a company that 1 leaves it lower end fanbase behind and 2 thinks it fine charging more for drivers because that is exactly what they are doing in a bid to be seen as performance company instead of a budget company. Nvidia is not perfect either I switched and their last 3 driver releases have sucked ass TDR problems left right and center people are getting crashes using chrome... CHROME, the 3.5 fiasco sucked... but at the moment I think Nvidia is the lesser of two evils and I felt safest going with them over team red, which sucked because the 7970, my last card was the best card I ever owned... AMD is not the savoir or good guy that people make them out to be. Both companies need a serious readjusting of their values pronto.

Other than the extra vram (which was available on some aftermarket cards) and minor improvements to performance, the 390x doesn't offer a huge upgrade.   But the reason they aren't releasing them at the same price they had the 290/290x at is simply because those prices were unsustainable.  They were trying to clear off inventory and had the cards incredibly cheap.   The 390 is equivalent to the 290x and costs about the same as it did. (Roughly $430 CAD)  The 390x performs better and cost a bit more, but still undercuts the competition with similar performance. (The x variant has never been worth the extra money imo.)  

You're not meant to upgrade with each series.  The upgrade from the 760 to the 960 was shit too, even if it is a new architecture.  The 780Ti and 980 were neck and neck on release until Nvidia started gimping Kepler with driver updates in new titles.  (People in witcher 3 saw massive gains of 10-15 FPS after they added optimizations for Kepler in the next driver release...)  The 3xx cards are not meant to appeal to 2xx owners.  They're meant to appeal to people still running older 6xxx cards or weaker 7xxx cards.  Someone with a 7870 ,7950 or 7970 won't see a huge benefit unless they jump to atleast a 390. (And that isn't a rebrand issue.  They'd see very little gains jumping to an equivalent Nvidia card like the 960 or the 380 which is a new architecture as well.)  

It's the state of the GPU market being stuck on 28nm for so long that we haven't seen massive improvements in the last few generations.  Quite frankly I think it was smarter of AMD not to develop new mid range 28nm architectures when 16nm is around the corner.  They weren't lacking in performance relative to their competition on the low end, they were lacking it on the high end.  So they made a high end card that competes with the best Nvidia has to offer, and get to say they were the first to implement technology that is going to become the next industry standard. (And give their engineers some experience with it.)

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love if every card was brand new and we could discuss new features and improvements instead.  But I don't think someone who spends the money on a 3xx card is going to be really disappointed with how it plays games.  I don't think jumping to Nvidia offers any better performance in the respective price bracket, either.  In fact I'd say this generation is so closely matched it's absurd.  You can spend nearly the same amount of money and get almost exactly the same performance at every tier below the 390x/gtx 980.  And at the high end AMD undercuts nvidia while offering the same or better.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Fanboys are bad for markets in general.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is just a theory, and I'd like to hear what you guys think.  AMD has been struggling to keep up on the CPU and GPU markets.  Developing a new GPU can cost upwards of $1 BILLION, which is an insane amount of money.  If AMD falls too far behind, they will not have the capital to invest in R&D to stay competitive and may go bankrupt or restructure to no longer compete in the GPU market.  If this happens, there will be no real competition for Nvidia.  Lack of competition means we all get mediocre upgrades, higher prices, and the industry stalls until another competitor enters the game (which could take a long time, given the cost of R&D)

I am not saying anybody should go buy AMD for this reason alone, but perhaps it should be a small factor (maybe 10% of the decision).  I think it is a mistake to go full on Nvidia fanboy and ignore AMD because they run a little hotter.  AMD still makes good cards, and we should all avoid being a fanboy of either team.  I think it is worthwhile to give a bit of thought to the industry in general when making a purchase decision. 

The new AMD cards seem like they are good, so for the sake of future competition, lets give AMD cards the proper consideration they deserve.

hhmmm.. i was an AMD fanboy for years and now i move on with nvidia. why?

ok.. don't be mad at me. this is from my own experience.

i think the last time AMD did a good job was with their HD 6000 series. after that they're not that competitive.

the last AMD GPU that i'm using was HD 6870. it was an awesome card for the price. it also was so competitive with nvidia variant at that time.

and after that, their HD 7000 series weren't that competitive. especially for a content creator just like me.

nvidia offer a lot better option even they're a bit more expensive but they make people's jobs a lot easier.

their CUDA gives us a lot benefit for a consumer grade card

and what about their R9 300 series? to be honest. i'm not that impressed at all.

for example, they launced R9 390x almost a year after nvidia launched their GTX 980. and... it doesn't even perform better than that 980.

don't even talk about their performance at professional program such as autodesk or maybe adobe. it's always worse.

that's why i moved to nvidia after my last 6870

the only benefit that they have right now is only "cheaper" and yes, i agree that they're still a good bang for the buck. i'm totally agree with that if your main concern is just gaming.

they deliver us a quite good option for that purpose.

Well I feel like all 3 major part manufacturers are screwing us one way or another so loyal to one? NEVER! But I most say 300 series looks awesome! :D

Yup, I'll buy from whichever company best fits my needs at the time of purchase. At the moment that is purely Intel for my CPU - I use many, many cores - and as far as GPU manufacturer goes, I choose vendor when it becomes relevant again.

Also, does the Fury X remind anyone of the photoshopped Titan Mini's?

I don't buy AMD because they simply haven't made anything worth buying over Nvidia since the 6000 series.
You just have to look at the FuryX vs the 980 Ti.
There is literally no reason to buy the FuryX unless you need the small form factor or get it for $100+ less.
Even at the same price/performance Nvidia would be the better option simply because of driver/gpu support and features.

RTX2070OC 

Thank you for the comment.  

If the reviews show the 390x as being a poor value (especially if your local prices are way too high) then by all means, don't buy it.  But lets say for example the 390 and 390x are right in the performance range of the 970 and 980 (+ or - a few percentage points, depending which review site you read, and depending on factory OC etc), and your local prices are also comparable, why not give the AMD cards some consideration?  

You (and others) have pointed out allowing market share influence your personal buying decision is a bad idea.  That is a valid point, I agree, rewarding mediocrity will get you more mediocrity.  Thank you for pointing that out.

But lets pretend for a moment the Fury x comes out as being identical in performance to a 980 ti, and the price was the same, and assuming drivers were equivalent, would you buy AMD or Nvidia?  In that case, would you factor into your decision the overall GPU market?

And on the other side of things, if AMD goes bankrupt (or more likely they would get bought by the likes of Samsung or others) that would give room for market share to be scooped up by a more suitable competitor.  Perhaps we'd see stagnant innovation for a couple of years, but once the new player entered the market innovation would likely explode.  I guess that is the beauty of capitalism and free markets - resources are constantly being transferred from the lazy to the innovative.

Companies love brand loyalty because it gives them room to relax a little.  Everybody tries to do it, some brands are really good at it.  Apple, Nvidia, even Asus with their ROG series.  It is not wrong or evil, but I wonder how it affects innovation.

I think AMD shot themselves in the foot with the R9 Rebrand Series. I mean, if you're going for a GTX 970-ish card you'd be looking at a GTX 970 because its superior in every way except for VRAM. Think about it. Would you buy a card which has about the same performance but consumes twice the amount of power? No! Except if you already own a pretty baller power supply and don't give two shits about power consumption. AMD's only selling cards will be the Fiji cards. But the flagship doesn't outperform the similarly priced GTX 980Ti (except maybe 4K and DX12 yeah, yeah, I know).

Maybe the Fury (non Pro) might be the only selling card since it's $100 less and probably beats the GTX 980, but still. They can't really expect to get any customers with their new cards. For the price/performance guys the card on the table will be the GTX 970. And for absolute performance junkies? GTX980 Ti hands down. I know it's bad for us customers but it's pretty much AMD's fault. They wasted time and resources on useless APUs which no one in their right mind would buy (they market it for gamers for gosh's sake). They've pretty much lost the CPU market, as far as I can tell. And in the past 6 months of them not putting up any new cards to go head-to-head with Maxwell? They've pretty much lost the GPU market as well. All of my friends (even AMD fanboys) bought GTX 970s because the Red Team delivered nothing. And when you wanna game, you ain't gonna wait 6 darned months for AMD to release a new lineup.

I don't buy AMD because they simply haven't made anything worth buying over Nvidia since the 6000 series.

You just have to look at the FuryX vs the 980 Ti.

There is literally no reason to buy the FuryX unless you need the small form factor or get it for $100+ less.

Even at the same price/performance Nvidia would be the better option simply because of driver/gpu support and features.

Actually Nvidia's drivers have been REAL shitty these past few months. They crippled Kepler users to sell Maxwell better. Just look at Project CARS and The Witcher 3. Even a GTX Titan Black can't outperform a GTX 970 in those games. Why? Driver issues. Once you rollback the drivers, you get butter smooth gameplay. And I'd say AMD's really banking on DX12, where most of their innovations (if any) will reveal themselves. I'd say get an old R9 290X for cheap and forget about the damned 300 Series.

HE OWNS A 970 MATE.

OP, asking for a flame war. dont worry, nvidia will just not innovate to keep amd competitive. 

Have they ever?

Just gotta point this out, but AMD has been first at DDR "upgrades" and now also HBM, they were first with several DX adaptions, eyefinity (multi monitor support) has been well matured for ages, Nvidia still doesnt have anything other then Gsync, on the hardware side, that can be called innovation.

PhysX was not Nvidias "innovation". All they did was buy the inventors/producers.

I mean, AMD is by far not great at a lot of things, but if nothing else, they got the balls to try out new things ahead of competition, even if they could just play it safe with existing technologies.

I use Nvidia not necessarily because im a fanboy but the features and performance they have tend to speak to me. Amd has rebranded twice now and that doesn't really inspire confidence in me. I will be the first to suggest an r9 280 to my friends when they want high performance for low cost gpu's but its just not for me, and I can't really say that I feel like I have a responsibility to buy AMD just because they can't keep up lately. 

I use Nvidia not necessarily because im a fanboy but the features and performance they have tend to speak to me. Amd has rebranded twice now and that doesn't really inspire confidence in me. I will be the first to suggest an r9 280 to my friends when they want high performance for low cost gpu's but its just not for me, and I can't really say that I feel like I have a responsibility to buy AMD just because they can't keep up lately. 

If a company can rebrand a card twice, a card that is still regarded as "functional" by every means. Then what negative do you find in that.

Its like all of these companies that buy old cars and restore or turn them into hot rods. Seriosly, do you harp on them for "rebranding and repurposing" cars that were made FIVE DECADES AGO?

No you dont, or atleast most people dont.

Same thing here, all they did was take their old product and restore it, added a few new things and that was it.

Want to know what confidence is? When you got the balls to rebrand a GPU THREE TIMES, and several others TWO TIMES knowing full well it will STILL perform within their respective price brackets. Hell they even bumped the 290X just enough to make it compete with the 980. You know what that is? That is confidence in the product you have made. They didnt strictly need to make a new linup, even though the consumers hoped for it. They didnt need to, it was that simple.

Hey, my 295x2 is 2 years old soon, 2 years, Nvidia has still not released a card in any shape or form that is faster, nor at the price point of 700 USD. Great going by Nvidia ey?

truth be told, your whining, along with all the others about rebrands, is based in some communal consensus that "copy pasta bad, mkay"... It has no root in reality.

The 290/290X competed with the 970, the 390 still competes with the 970. The 290X competed with the 980, the 390x competes with the 980.

The Fury X competes with the 980 Ti, and so far its not too far off

The 295x2 competes with itself, because Nvidia has no offering that has the kind of performance to price ratio of that card. SLI you say? I can run this card in a mITX case, infact my best friend bought a 295x2 when they were on sale and stuffed it into a Corsair 380T with a i7 4790k, can Nvidia cram that performance into such a setup? No.

Want to harp on AMD? Tell Nvidia to step up their game and make some sort of GPU that can last three whole generations and still be relevant.

That's one long ass post to justify AMD's rebranding habits. Most of them are usually 5 or 6 lines at most.

43101288.jpg

Think of products... Lets take games as an example, you wouldn't want them to be rebranded year after year would you? Thought not... Think that comparison is ridiculous? Well so is your hot rod comparison...

If a company can rebrand a card twice, a card that is still regarded as "functional" by every means. Then what negative do you find in that.

Its like all of these companies that buy old cars and restore or turn them into hot rods. Seriosly, do you harp on them for "rebranding and repurposing" cars that were made FIVE DECADES AGO?

No you dont, or atleast most people dont.

Same thing here, all they did was take their old product and restore it, added a few new things and that was it.

Want to know what confidence is? When you got the balls to rebrand a GPU THREE TIMES, and several others TWO TIMES knowing full well it will STILL perform within their respective price brackets. Hell they even bumped the 290X just enough to make it compete with the 980. You know what that is? That is confidence in the product you have made. They didnt strictly need to make a new linup, even though the consumers hoped for it. They didnt need to, it was that simple.

Hey, my 295x2 is 2 years old soon, 2 years, Nvidia has still not released a card in any shape or form that is faster, nor at the price point of 700 USD. Great going by Nvidia ey?

truth be told, your whining, along with all the others about rebrands, is based in some communal consensus that "copy pasta bad, mkay"... It has no root in reality.

The 290/290X competed with the 970, the 390 still competes with the 970. The 290X competed with the 980, the 390x competes with the 980.

The Fury X competes with the 980 Ti, and so far its not too far off

The 295x2 competes with itself, because Nvidia has no offering that has the kind of performance to price ratio of that card. SLI you say? I can run this card in a mITX case, infact my best friend bought a 295x2 when they were on sale and stuffed it into a Corsair 380T with a i7 4790k, can Nvidia cram that performance into such a setup? No.

Want to harp on AMD? Tell Nvidia to step up their game and make some sort of GPU that can last three whole generations and still be relevant.

Wow, what incredibly aggressive and disproportionate response. I'm fairly sure I laid out my opinion in a calm, clear and civil manner just to get that? 

Come on man, do you want people to take you seriously or just dismiss you for steam rolling them for no reason.

A lot of the points you made aren't even real points. All you have really said is that AMD had balls for rebranding. 

Is that what we reward today? The confidence to NOT innovate? 

Not that AMD doesn't innovate, I am excited for their high bandwidth memory, but focusing on rebrands as a good thing is a mistake.

Also you keep talking about 295x2 like its not a dual gpu. 

You can't honestly think that comparing it with a single gpu in any way makes sense. 

that would be like me trying to compare a titan z with an r9 290x, what would be the point?

Now i suppose you could compare the 295x2 with sli gtx 980s or 980 ti's but you'd find out pretty quickly that it doesnt match up.

Aside from all that the only thing i was really even trying to say was I have legitimate reasons I go with nvidia over AMD.

I don't buy things based on brand loyalty I look at what I am getting out of it and make a decision based on the performance and features I will end up with vs the cons.

Getting pissy with me and then whining about how god tier you wish I thought your graphics card was, (WHICH by the way is like 1 generation old and at the very top of the performance ladder in that generation SO OF COURSE IS FREAKING RELEVANT) is not going  change the fact that a lot of these new cards ARE old architecture that keeps getting rehashed and called new with a price premium set for being a new generation and sold to us like we should be grateful that anything was released at all.

You wouldn't buy the exact same game 3 times if they released one DLC for each separate version of it.

I'm not even really against AMD here because I do appreciate things they do, when they actually do them.

It's just that your view on the matter is so twisted and nonsensical that it baffles me.

also this "Its like all of these companies that buy old cars and restore or turn them into hot rods. Seriosly, do you harp on them for "rebranding and repurposing" cars that were made FIVE DECADES AGO?

No you dont, or atleast most people dont."

Do I really have to point out how not comparable these circumstances are? cars and graphics cards do not exist in the same spectrum, much less can be used as examples for one another.

This would be like me saying "its okay to eat this food way passed it's expiry date because you can eat canned food if it hasn't been refrigerated"

That's one long ass post to justify AMD's rebranding habits. Most of them are usually 5 or 6 lines at most.

43101288.jpg

Think of products... Lets take games as an example, you wouldn't want them to be rebranded year after year would you? Thought not... Think that comparison is ridiculous? Well so is your hot rod comparison...

Hey did you watch E3 when they REBRANDED FINAL FANTASY VII? Never heard people in those press conferences scream so loud before, musta been terrible

Hey did you watch E3 when they REBRANDED FINAL FANTASY VII? Never heard people in those press conferences scream so loud before, musta been terrible

Call of Duty, criticised year after year for being a reskin...

EDIT: Now imagine that every game released this year is released every year, exactly the same with a different cover... 

Call of Duty, criticised year after year for being a reskin...

EDIT: Now imagine that every game released this year is released every year, exactly the same with a different cover... 

good point, rebrands seels great it seems.

innovation in 2015, doesnt matter what industry, is pretty dead. Just look at what the big companies call "innovation".... Its usually just a neat idea that has no groundbreaking effect on anything, ever. Its just a nice thing.

Innovation is a overused, and pretty darn watered out word in todays world. Ill bet someone is gonna make socks with bacon flavor and call that innovation too. Just you wait,

good point, rebrands seels great it seems.

So you're saying more sales means a better product? GG, you tripped up my friend. Clearly it's a waste of time bothering with you since your fanboyism is so strong you can't be convinced that rebranding is just another greedy practice that you've essentially been brainwashed to accept...

So you're saying more sales means a better product? GG, you tripped up my friend. Clearly it's a waste of time bothering with you since your fanboyism is so strong you can't be convinced that rebranding is just another greedy practice that you've essentially be brainwashed to accept...

nah, im just playing the patience game. My 295x2 is going to last me a long while longer, probably until the next round of Fiji with HBM2.0/Nvidia Pascal. So, i do not need to buy these rebrands, thus i do not care about them

For those who "must" buy them, wait 2 months for their launch premium to start dropping or buy a cheap 290x. Problem solved, stop moaning.

Samsung should buy them, invest in R&D and AMD starts kicking ass again. Problem solved. AMD just did a huge layoff 6 months ago. How can you expect them to be competitive when they're so poor? I do agree with you that blind Nvidia fanboyism certainly played a role in AMD's horrible financial situation. But that started like 3-4 years ago. Since then they started making one wrong decision after another, which in the following years gave people more and more reasons not to buy AMD. If AMD had stayed on top of their game after their excellent 5 and 6000 series then they wouldn't have had this problem now. They should've told their shareholders to fk off and run the company like Amazon does, every single penny you make you invest back in.

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Oh come on guys, there is still some innovation out there.  A few short years ago VR was nothing more than a science fiction dream.  I saw some pretty innovative ideas at E3 this year.  Nvidia Shield is pretty innovative.  There is probably a lot of innovation taking place behind the scenes of hardware development that you'd never hear about.  The engineers behind the scenes of hardware development do some pretty incredible things, and because of protecting trade secrets the only info we get is general architecture and performance benchmarks.  Innovation in these areas doesn't always translate into immediate and tangible performance boosts, but they may pave the way for future improvements.  Innovation in manufacturing is incredibly awesome, and gets absolutely no glory whatsoever.  Those guys are geniuses who make this whole industry possible!

Yes, there is a lot of rebranding/revamping/refreshing of old products.  And people love that kind of thing.  Old games being redone with new improvements.  Old books and movies being redone with modern special effects.  I have no problem with these kinds of products.  Innovation doesn't always have to be ground breaking.  Improving on old ideas is what brought us to where we are today.  The ground breaking innovators are a necessarily small group.  If everyone was a revolutionary, we'd never get anywhere.  General conformity with only mild doses of innovation gives us the stability needed for steady improvement.  Occasional innovative leaps forward would not be possible without general stability provided by conformity.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Samsung should buy them, invest in R&D and AMD starts kicking ass again. Problem solved. AMD just did a huge layoff 6 months ago. How can you expect them to be competitive when they're so poor? I do agree with you that blind Nvidia fanboyism certainly played a role in AMD's horrible financial situation. But that started like 3-4 years ago. Since then they started making one wrong decision after another, which in the following years gave people more and more reasons not to buy AMD. If AMD had stayed on top of their game after their excellent 5 and 6000 series then they wouldn't have had this problem now. They should've told their shareholders to fk off and run the company like Amazon does, every single penny you make you invest back in.

If samsung buys AMD, AMD loses the rights to use x86 processor instructions and intel loses the rights to x64 instructions due to an agreement between Intel and AMD to not sue/not allowed to sue, eachother for using said instruction sets.

Result, If any company buys AMD, processor manufacturing will take a dump. GPU manufacturing will probably follow since the whole PC industry will take a dive.

Hey, my 295x2 is 2 years old soon, 2 years, Nvidia has still not released a card in any shape or form that is faster, nor at the price point of 700 USD. Great going by Nvidia ey?  - 295X2 actually cost $1,500 when it debut.  2 years is a BIG gap in pricing.  Try to be impartial here when comparing prices.

"At the end of the day, though, a PC graphics card requires a combination of hardware and software in order to perform well—that's especially true for a multi-GPU product. Looks to me like the R9 295 X2 has been let down by its software, and by AMD's apparent (and, if true, bizarre) decision not to optimize for games that don't wear the Gaming Evolved logo in their opening titles. You know, little franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. It's possible AMD could fix these problems in time, but one has to ask how long, exactly, owners of the R9 295 X2 should expect to wait for software to unlock the performance of their hardware. Recently, Nvidia has accelerated its practice of having driver updates ready for major games before they launch, after all. That seems like the right way to do it. AMD is evidently a long way from that goal." -TechReport 2014

Again AMD being half assed about their products.

What's the point of "the most powerful" if it doesn't work right.  You may have the fastest race car but when your driver is shit, you won't win the race.

Well, R&D doesn't take that much money away from a company if it is re-branding and outsourcing lots of mats. 

2nd, I think they should redo their management hierarchy heck If I was a shareholder I would hammer them down.

Board members are dead I would say if the company steps to the 4th quarter without having a backup plan,

their income statements suck as fuck.

Do they even have stocks released to the public?

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

don't seem to be, I feel like im properly educated and seem to know what im talking about. HBU?

[Pseudo intellectual intensifies]

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.