Nvidia fanboys bad for the GPU market?

CostcoSamples

Fiscal year is Jan - Dec.   2015-Q1               2014-Q4               2014-Q3               2014-Q2               2014-Q1               2013-Q4

Long-Term Debt               2.03B                       2.04B                      2.11B                    2.11B                      2.08B                      2B

This explains alot, R&D would never be accurate, it is a confidential matter I guess. My my, AMD what kind of debt have you pulled your self too. :(

Yes someone would jump and say LT debt is good, AMD isn't making enough revenue plus they have been selling their assets too.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Its like all of these companies that buy old cars and restore or turn them into hot rods. Seriosly, do you harp on them for "rebranding and repurposing" cars that were made FIVE DECADES AGO?

The company who made the cars isn't changing the model. Buying an old car and restoring is totally different - you're not making people believe that a Camaro made in the 1980s is the same as a Mustang GT made in 2014.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"At the end of the day, though, a PC graphics card requires a combination of hardware and software in order to perform well—that's especially true for a multi-GPU product. Looks to me like the R9 295 X2 has been let down by its software, and by AMD's apparent (and, if true, bizarre) decision not to optimize for games that don't wear the Gaming Evolved logo in their opening titles. You know, little franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. It's possible AMD could fix these problems in time, but one has to ask how long, exactly, owners of the R9 295 X2 should expect to wait for software to unlock the performance of their hardware. Recently, Nvidia has accelerated its practice of having driver updates ready for major games before they launch, after all. That seems like the right way to do it. AMD is evidently a long way from that goal." -TechReport 2014

Again AMD being half assed about their products.

What's the point of "the most powerful" if it doesn't work right.  You may have the fastest race car but when your driver is shit, you won't win the race.

so it doesnt work in two of the games that i wont play. I do not see even a minute problem with that.

so it doesnt work in two of the games that i wont play. I do not see even a minute problem with that.

"two games" is an exaggeration on your part being a fan boy.

If you care to look it up, you'll see that the 295X2 was for a most part a disappointment.

"two games" is an exaggeration on your part being a fan boy.

If you care to look it up, you'll see that the 295X2 was for a most part a disappointment.

i know, it didnt get 2x Titan X FPS in all games. It was such a shame, and AMD really should have tried to make it even more power hungry while at it.

If a company can rebrand a card twice, a card that is still regarded as "functional" by every means. Then what negative do you find in that.

Its like all of these companies that buy old cars and restore or turn them into hot rods. Seriosly, do you harp on them for "rebranding and repurposing" cars that were made FIVE DECADES AGO?

No you dont, or atleast most people dont.

Same thing here, all they did was take their old product and restore it, added a few new things and that was it.

Want to know what confidence is? When you got the balls to rebrand a GPU THREE TIMES, and several others TWO TIMES knowing full well it will STILL perform within their respective price brackets. Hell they even bumped the 290X just enough to make it compete with the 980. You know what that is? That is confidence in the product you have made. They didnt strictly need to make a new linup, even though the consumers hoped for it. They didnt need to, it was that simple.

Hey, my 295x2 is 2 years old soon, 2 years, Nvidia has still not released a card in any shape or form that is faster, nor at the price point of 700 USD. Great going by Nvidia ey?

truth be told, your whining, along with all the others about rebrands, is based in some communal consensus that "copy pasta bad, mkay"... It has no root in reality.

The 290/290X competed with the 970, the 390 still competes with the 970. The 290X competed with the 980, the 390x competes with the 980.

The Fury X competes with the 980 Ti, and so far its not too far off

The 295x2 competes with itself, because Nvidia has no offering that has the kind of performance to price ratio of that card. SLI you say? I can run this card in a mITX case, infact my best friend bought a 295x2 when they were on sale and stuffed it into a Corsair 380T with a i7 4790k, can Nvidia cram that performance into such a setup? No.

Want to harp on AMD? Tell Nvidia to step up their game and make some sort of GPU that can last three whole generations and still be relevant.

Nvidia can actually release a card that can be relevant for e few generations. Imagine their entire Kepler lineup. Now imagine them rebranded as GTX 900 Series. There you go.

The point people are trying to make with rebrands is that they suck. Imagine your dad rewrapping last year's Christmas present and giving it to you. Except he changes the wrapping paper. Like that? NO. Nobody does. That Christmas present may have been good, but wouldn't you feel cheated? I mean it's been almost 2 years and all AMD can come up with is 3 Fiji chips and the rest of the lineup is completely rebranded (except for R9 380X, I think). Why not just DON'T release the new lineup and save that number "3" for something actually NEW. 

Sure you might argue that Maxwell performs about the same as Kepler. But with one difference: POWER CONSUMPTION. AMD's new cards are EXACTLY THE SAME. Sure, bump the VRAM. Not like 3rd party vendors haven't already done that.

As for the R9 295X2, I'll admit it's in a class of its own. But keep in mind, your card might perform well now, but SLI and CrossFire rely HEAVILY on drivers and game optimisation. If the game has shitty SLI/CrossFire support, you might as well just call your card an R9 290X WC. I for one will not go SLI/CrossFire. Game Devs are lazy enough with general bug fixing and optimisation, let alone multi-GPU support.

Nvidia can actually release a card that can be relevant for e few generations. Imagine their entire Kepler lineup. Now imagine them rebranded as GTX 900 Series. There you go.

The point people are trying to make with rebrands is that they suck. Imagine your dad rewrapping last year's Christmas present and giving it to you. Except he changes the wrapping paper. Like that? NO. Nobody does. That Christmas present may have been good, but wouldn't you feel cheated? I mean it's been almost 2 years and all AMD can come up with is 3 Fiji chips and the rest of the lineup is completely rebranded (except for R9 380X, I think). Why not just DON'T release the new lineup and save that number "3" for something actually NEW. 

Sure you might argue that Maxwell performs about the same as Kepler. But with one difference: POWER CONSUMPTION. AMD's new cards are EXACTLY THE SAME. Sure, bump the VRAM. Not like 3rd party vendors haven't already done that.

As for the R9 295X2, I'll admit it's in a class of its own. But keep in mind, your card might perform well now, but SLI and CrossFire rely HEAVILY on drivers and game optimisation. If the game has shitty SLI/CrossFire support, you might as well just call your card an R9 290X WC. I for one will not go SLI/CrossFire. Game Devs are lazy enough with general bug fixing and optimisation, let alone multi-GPU support.

all cards are rebrands in the 300 series. There is a difference in the generations though.

360 is reb. 260x - bonaire, new gpu with 200 if i remember correctly, that or they slapped old gpu on new archtecture revision.

370, pitcairn gpu. Been around since 7000 series.

380, tonga. Newer gpu, launched with the 285

390/390x, grenada. Semi new gpu. It is a architectural rework of the hawaii gpu in the 290. They reworked the grenada gpu to include the data compression of the 285, added support for some other minor things and reworked the grenada chip to be marginally more power and temp efficient, marginally is truly the right way to put it though.

The fiji is new, but is using GCN 1.2, which is a shame since that is basically the same core architecture as 290.

Just fyi. The 290(x) is 100% IDENTICAL to the 390(x) with the haxored driver that allows the better compression. You want to talk about nvidia gimping Kepler? AMD HAS GIMPED ALMOST THEIR ENTIRE LINEUP WHICH IS THE RXACT SAME GENERATION AS THE NEWEST RELEASE IN ORDER TO MAKE THE 300 SERIES LOOK LIKE AN IMPROVEMENT.

Btw the 370 is a 265. That's right. It's actually a downgrade.

The 380 is the only slot improved card in their line up. And to be honest, I'm really freaking excited to see what a fully unlocked Tonga can do (assuming we ever get a 380x), because that card should go toe to toe with the 290(x) when fully unlocked, considering it should have identical stream processors etc while using a more advanced GCN process.

Finally, if fanboys didn't bitch about the other companies than they would have even less incentive to improve. The issue becomes when one side has such a huge market share (and accordingly a huge fanboy share) over the other. Honestly why is amd falling so hard. It's not because the fanboys crashed the market. It's because amd has failed to innovate.

If two cards are about the same performance/quality, would I get the card from the company losing money and market share quarter after quarter? No, people feel more secure buying into a company that has a bright future on the horizon.

AMD spent 7 years on Fiji... And couldn't even beat the current cut down version from its competition.

And fuck all that beta driver Bullshit. It's released, it's on sale, the fact that apparently amd doesn't have their shit in line for their release of their 7YEAR PROJECT just makes me want to buy them less and less.

Let's not even talk about the cpu market..

Finally. I would just like to point out that I have recommended more and more amd cards to other people for what I consider low end (yes 970 and 290 below I consider low end.). But AMD themselves said they didn't want to be known as the cheaper option. Rofl that. As a gaming enthusiasts I am exceedingly irrate at amd, and from this point out they would have to significantly exceed the competition for me to consider them once again.

(And don't anyone dare bring up the 295x2)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS