Xbox Boss Phil Spencer: I Want To Give People A Choice

TwistedDictator

In an Interview with Giant Bomb Phil Spencer speak on Xbox exclusive, on how he want to give people choice in addition on how he wants Xbox to be the best TV Gaming platform (Xbox) but at the same time give people the choice to play the games when you’re not around the T.V and be able to play on your laptop

“As a gamer I play games on PC… I want to be able to play the games where I want to play them… I want to give people a choice.”

“There’s this kind of back channel frankly I don’t really subscribe to of you need to keep people from playing in certain places, somehow that’s the answer… I want to give people choice and with Xbox I want it to be the best TV gaming experience you can have but frankly if I’m not on my TV and I’m on my laptop, and want to play killer instinct, I want to play gear, I want to play fable, I should be able to do that and to try force people to buy something by excluding their choice.”

Source

Interview:

https://youtu.be/Pjh1Uo_xaSQ?t=3h25m56s

Dont know why the youtube link embed with the forum

skip to 3h 25min and 56 seconds

I cant wait for more games to come over! Xbox has some awesome games such as Halo! I really cant wait... Phil Spencer has been awesome over the months :)

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

:unsure: But all the console exclusives I want to play are on ps4 

Still this is nice though, always nice to have more choice, I assume this means he wants to make xbox exclusives available on PC and not that he wants to make some weird streaming thing so we can use the xbox games on our PCs? (Haven't watched the interview just read the post)

Edit: Just watched the video, yaay!  :D

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

the FOV is extremely low on consoles

it was near impossible to play skyrim on a 360 

i got a headache

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Give me the rest of the Halo series after Halo 2 on PC and I'll be happy. MS managed it with Halo 1 and 2, they can do it with the rest of the series.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They will not come through, Phil Spencer is poison.

He mentions Gears, Killer Instinct, and Fable... no mention of the big Chief elephant in the room. :mellow:

Plot twist: "What I really meant was we want you to buy Xbones... then stream it to your Windows 10 PC!"

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Plot twist: "What I really meant was we want you to buy Xbones... then stream it to your Windows 10 PC!"

this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

He mentions Gears, Killer Instinct, and Fable... no mention of the big Chief elephant in the room. :mellow:

Of course there isn't, he wants to actually keep his job. If MS were having internal discussions about Halo he'd be big trouble if he even hinted at it.

He's very careful with is choice of words. He's not taking about games coming to the PC, he's just talking about being able to play those games from a different location, by steaming from the Xbox to another device.

He does also say things like, "let it exists on its own merit", and not forcing people to buy things to play ectect, so tbh sounds more like he just wants to release console exclusives on PC, but also add the cross play features and crossplay for offline too. 

But this is just an interview and discussion, obviously non of it means it will happen lol, but it's good that he wants to go in this direction, whether or not you need an xbox. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

He's very careful with is choice of words. He's not taking about games coming to the PC, he's just talking about being able to play those games from a different location, by steaming from the Xbox to another device.

He is but also all three games he mentioned are coming to the PC with Xbox Live support. Fable Legends is F2P so you can switch between the two systems easily, KI will have cross-buy so buy it once and be able to play it on both platforms. Gears is the big unknown in that equation, though it would be great if saves worked between both versions whether or not they offer cross-buy.

So basically steam streaming service. with just this minimal outlay for the hardware module that makes it possible, and the hardware to hook up to an extra TV, extra controllers. a low monthly fee......

He is but also all three games he mentioned are coming to the PC with Xbox Live support. Fable Legends is F2P so you can switch between the two systems easily, KI will have cross-buy so buy it once and be able to play it on both platforms. Gears is the big unknown in that equation, though it would be great if saves worked between both versions whether or not they offer cross-buy.

I'm not saying that he doesn't care about the PC market, because there's money to be made on it. But his best interests is in the Xbox. I'm glad he's saw the potential that PC gamers have to offer, but I don't believe for a moment that he's on our side.

I'm not saying that he doesn't care about the PC market, because there's money to be made on it. But his best interests is in the Xbox. I'm glad he's saw the potential that PC gamers have to offer, but I don't believe for a moment that he's on our side.

He's on the side of the company he works for and doing stuff that makes them money and keeps his job. That said, he does seem to have a good head on his shoulders and understands where MS has failed before when it comes to the PC and several other things really. He's done a really good job turning the Xbox division around and getting rid of some of the stupidity that happened around the launch of the XB1.

He's on the side of the company he works for and doing stuff that makes them money and keeps his job. That said, he does seem to have a good head on his shoulders and understands where MS has failed before when it comes to the PC and several other things really. He's done a really good job turning the Xbox division around and getting rid of some of the stupidity that happened around the launch of the XB1.

Maybe you're right. I hope you are. But the Xbox is a far more valuable gaming platform to them. And if nothing else, the way this industry has been for the last few years, it's difficult to not be sceptical.

Maybe you're right. I hope you are. But the Xbox is a far more valuable gaming platform to them. And if nothing else, the way this industry has been for the last few years, it's difficult to not be sceptical.

Being skeptical is great right now. I use the term "seem" for a reason. They haven't done anything other than say "we want to do this" and "we have some ideas for this thing". KI, Gears UE, Fable, Gigantic, and the new Rare game (apparently that's coming to the PC as well) are a good start but we'll see how they turn out and how they are received. At the moment Spencer is carefully avoiding making big promises and leaving himself a way out of things go horribly wrong, but PC games can be a very good market for them if they take advantage of it.

On an unrelated side note (since it was mentioned in the interview): MS PR needs to ban the word impossible. Every time someone from Xbox mentions it I roll my eyes and think of "it's impossible to not use the kinect" or "it's impossible to turn off the DRM" and all the other BS from prior to the XB1's launch.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Ya I think he means streaming from console to other devices.

If he means PC the traditional problem that Microsoft had was less control over the monetization on PC. It is their platform (windows) and PC gaming add tremendous value to their platform indirectly. But i think they are more concerned about direct monetization. They could sell games on their store and they would be able to make money on PC like other stores have. The problem is that it's a scary open market where you have to compete with gog, steam, origin and everybody else not just for gamer's attention but for the attention of devs. It's much more comfortable to stay in a place where you are the gatekeeper, and for Microsoft that place is Xbox. A lot of PC gamers wonder why Microsoft has a lukewarm attitude towards gaming on their own platform (windows), above is the reason.

I'll believe this PR bullshit when Halo 3 comes to PC.

I'm still waiting.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I'll believe this PR bullshit when Halo 3 comes to PC.

I'm still waiting.

Skepticism is a good thing right now but I don't understand the logic of this. Halo 3 is eight years old. It's not happening unless for some reason MS decides to release MCC on the PC.

Skepticism is a good thing right now but I don't understand the logic of this. Halo 3 is eight years old. It's not happening unless for some reason MS decides to release MCC on the PC.

Even better, we'll get PC versions of 1 and 2 that don't suck.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Wow im surprised he said he plays on his PS4 :S I really hope they bring more cross play to games because living in Aus we don't have that many gamers compared to other countries and we don't live close enough to anyone else besides NZ so bringing crossplay from pc will be great with making it easier to find a game.

P.S Just give me Forza already.