Toshiba slews into the murky waters of questionable fiscal practises

The laptop manufacturer Toshiba who is also known as Toshiba International from Japan, that builds power and social infrastructure (transmission and distribution systems), nuclear reactors, chips, appliances, and consumer electronics. Have been miss-aligning their profits by using a -percentage of completion method- The AsianExtractor says “While drawing up unfounded cost-cutting plans, the company avoided entering loss provisions on the balance sheet” which could see them suffer an issue of creditability in how the company's accounting is being reported.

Sources:-
BloombergBusiness
AsianExtractor

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Fuck toshiba.

Makes the shittiest low end, low priced laptops, and the worst HDD's.

I hope they crumble to pieces.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Well...at least their keyboards have a cortana button

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Fuck toshiba.

Didn't you mean "Tuck Foshiba"?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Fuck toshiba.

And they used to be so good, had a toshiba in 2007 (my second laptop) and it worked for 7 years, wasnt flimsy, had a good keyboard and battery. 

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

.....they build nuclear reactors, and have shady accounting practices?

That....seems like a rather large cause for concern.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And they used to be so good, had a toshiba in 2007 (my second laptop) and it worked for 7 years, wasnt flimsy, had a good keyboard and battery.

Thats was back in the day when they were dope, they were going downhill since 2011 or so.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

.....they build nuclear reactors, and have shady accounting practices?

That....seems like a rather large cause for concern.

Don't be such a dramaqueen....What could go wrong?! Its not like japan has had bad expiriences with nuclear power......... :D

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Don't be such a dramaqueen....What could go wrong?! Its not like japan has had bad expiriences with nuclear power......... :D

Meh, no surprise that the older generations of power plants have problems. Why no one is upgrading to the newer safer designs, is beyond me.

Oh yeah....because: $$$

Meh, no surprise that the older generations of power plants have problems. Why no one is upgrading to the newer safer designs, is beyond me.

Oh yeah....because: $$$

There was a lot of very disturbing things about the whole disaster....Upgrading would not have helped a lot when they lied about how secure the plant was and how much damage had been done.

TEPCO made systematic false reporting to regulators.....The japanese government had no idea how shit that plant was.

"TEPCO admitted for the first time on 12 October 2012 that it had failed to take stronger measures to prevent disasters for fear of inviting lawsuits or protests against its nuclear plant"

I don't have a problem with nuclear plants per say, but I think they should be run partly the the state....Not because the government is great at running things, but because making short cuts just isn't acceptable in this area. Which is exactly what happened at fukushima.....

The disaster was ruled as "man-made" because the plant was simply not build to withstand neither the earthquake nor the tsunami.....Because of some rich CEO cutting corners to improve their earnings.

The company behind the plant admitted in 2012

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

There was a lot of very disturbing things about the whole disaster....Upgrading would not have helped a lot when they lied about how secure the plant was and how much damage had been done.

TEPCO made systematic false reporting to regulators.....The japanese government had no idea how shit that plant was.

"TEPCO admitted for the first time on 12 October 2012 that it had failed to take stronger measures to prevent disasters for fear of inviting lawsuits or protests against its nuclear plant"

I don't have a problem with nuclear plants per say, but I think they should be run partly the the state....Not because the government is great at running things, but because making short cuts just isn't acceptable in this area. Which is exactly what happened at fukushima.....

The disaster was ruled as "man-made" because the plant was simply not build to withstand neither the earthquake nor the tsunami.....Because of some rich CEO cutting corners to improve their earnings.

Interesting, and I agree, but I still think switching over to all integral fast reactors could have prevented it. They don't need high pressure in the coolant loops because they don't use "light water" as coolant (instead they use liquid metal), as well as the coolant system being designed to be capable of continuing to operate via convection in case the coolant pumps fail. Finally, the way they are built in such a way that "an increase in the core temperature will act as a feedback mechanism that decreases the core power", this occurs "naturally" without any external action by operators or mechanisms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor#Safety

Although, I can see how a sodium cooled reactor flooding with sea water could pose a problem, as they already had an incident in japan with a sodium cooled reactor. Although that was just a fire and no radiation was leaked. Although there was outrage over a potential coverup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monju_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Monju_sodium_leak_and_fire

Still, you are right, we need stronger oversight and frequent inspections.

Edit: side note, the Monju reactor, as far as I can tell, is not an integral fast reactor, merely a loop type reactor using sodium coolant.

Toshiba. 

Emphasis on the first syllable.

I've never been particularly keen on their laptops and they are in for hardware fault repairs quite often where I work, likely due to poor design/manufacturing.

Like what? Earthquakes? I don't think Toshiba is causing those.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

some people say the pressure from the stream blew open the reactor but thats not true if you look at the actual reactor its small compared to its housing because steam is a 1000:1 ratio in volume compared to water and the reactor housing compared to the reactor is in the same 1000:1 ratio and the housing had no oxygen so explosions cant happen but the problem was it got so hot that the water broke down into hydrogen and oxygen so explosions. but new designs use molten salt instead of water inside the reactor so it would have helped japan a lot during fukushima because no radiation would have been released it would have been kept inside the housing

The nuclear plant at Fukushima was designed and built in the 1960's (it commenced in 1971). Could the difference in construction materials i.e cement, between now and then also be a "Non Toshiba" contributing factor?

The nuclear plant at Fukushima was designed and built in the 1960's (it commenced in 1971). Could the difference in construction materials i.e cement, between now and then also be a "Non Toshiba" contributing factor?

True that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Fuck toshiba.

That depends on what you get. Their business models, Tecra and Protege are extremely good. I had a Tecra, it was the very first to have a mobile dual core, and ran Vista really well even with just 2GB of ram. During that time, a cheap laptop will lag on Vista with just 2GB of ram. The laptop lasted for 8 years, until it gave out. I can probably go repair it, but it's time for something new.

Now a lot of people what something cheap like $100 or $200 laptops, to do that, they have to use cheap materials and of course it will work like crap. You do get what you pay for, so there is no excuse to complain. Complain when you get a laptop above $1700 and it works like crap.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Fuck toshiba.

They even have a sneaky "direct to factory" return scheme on most of their hard drives, to manipulate RMA statistics into looking better than they are. This statistic for example, (French retailers and etailers in 2014) has Toshiba showing up in first place as the "best" in terms of RMA rates in front of Seagate, because most HDDs from Toshiba skip the retailer in RMA issues.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Fuck toshiba.

My dad keeps buying Toshiba laptop, 4 had had the power jack fail, 2 have had the hinges break and one of them's GPU got fryed because of a crappy cooling solution.

HTID

No but the point was that if their accounting can't be trusted, we can't trust very much from them or know how much they spend on improving safety for instance.

Nobody is saying toshiba causes earthquakes...But toshiba knows earthquakes will happen so will have to build accordingly.

Interesting, and I agree, but I still think switching over to all integral fast reactors could have prevented it. They don't need high pressure in the coolant loops because they don't use "light water" as coolant (instead they use liquid metal), as well as the coolant system being designed to be capable of continuing to operate via convection in case the coolant pumps fail. Finally, the way they are built in such a way that "an increase in the core temperature will act as a feedback mechanism that decreases the core power", this occurs "naturally" without any external action by operators or mechanisms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor#Safety

Although, I can see how a sodium cooled reactor flooding with sea water could pose a problem, as they already had an incident in japan with a sodium cooled reactor. Although that was just a fire and no radiation was leaked. Although there was outrage over a potential coverup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monju_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Monju_sodium_leak_and_fire

Still, you are right, we need stronger oversight and frequent inspections.

Edit: side note, the Monju reactor, as far as I can tell, is not an integral fast reactor, merely a loop type reactor using sodium coolant.

I agree, but nothing will be safe if we cant trust what they are saying. TEPCO convinced everybody that fukushima was safe, even though it wasnt't

Fuck toshiba.

I knew their laptops are the worst but the HDD's? A sales men told me Toshiba HDD's are one of the best ...

I don't trust sales men anyway, but still ...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Fuck toshiba.

Lol dayum.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.