Post your Good Ghetto mods

I built a PC, WITH NO STATIC PROTECTION. 

I know, I know, Terrible.

Everybody's done that before.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Used metal nuts as motherboard standoffs... Not the best idea ever... Still works though (with the metal nuts as standoffs)...

That PC's on her last few thousand boot cycles before going to silicon heaven...

Everybody's done that before.

That was the point...

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

Car audio is by far where my dodgiest work has ever been...  I had 2 Power Acoustik MoFo's with a BAMF amp along with them...  I could have spent a total of a hour making sure my ground was secure, instead about once ever 2-3 months I went and had to tighten it down and shave some paint off... lol  I miss my Caddy... 

Yeah my whole head unit cabling is just twist n taped

I once used my 24" to watch a movie in my bed, I had it in on my chest while lying down and I had to hold it constantly. 

Probably helping my IT teacher build a water-cooled build with two separate loops on top of a really expensive floor, also the build was board mounted and we were repeatedly draining and re-filling the loop.

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

Used metal nuts as motherboard standoffs... Not the best idea ever... Still works though (with the metal nuts as standoffs)...

I only use two standoffs... :P

I had a Radeon x1550 that was on it's last leg and I thought it would be funny to pull off the heatsink while it was running. The current draw from that thing was enough to blow out my PCI-e lane. I tested it again with a newer x1550, but this time I was monitoring the current, and it peaked at 175 amps. Also I am experimenting with Silly Putty as thermal paste. With modifications it's not too bad.

Not dodgy enuff...

Now I have dr evil in my head:

you are quasi dodgy, semi dodgy, the diet coke of dodgy, just 2 standoffs, not dogy enough.

Opened my netbook, and never replaced the thermal pads/paste. Same goes for my sister's. Temps went up, but they're safe until 90C or so (still have a 15C cushion at the very least).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

one time i put my razer blade's power brick that gets hot as balls under my heated electric blanket and i almost did two things

-break the blade entirely

-burned my house down

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This is currently under my bed. Not even close to as dodgy as some of you folks though...

BxzP0yxCQAAL9n5.jpg

This is currently under my bed. Not even close to as dodgy as some of you folks though...

BxzP0yxCQAAL9n5.jpg

it's only dodgy if you draw too much power and it looks like you're fine

i wanted to try and "blow up" an older tx 750 corsair powersupply by feeding its own power back into it, it survived longer then i expected

and how did you do that?

Retro fitted my air compressor to use an electric motor so it was quiet when I turned it on and now low how it use to be. Used a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to turn it on and off. Pretty fun project to do and learned how to do it from a friend that did it with his.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

not tech related but I once removed the sticker on a bed that said do not remove, yeah i know im pretty bad ass  B)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I broke to cooler on my grandma's LGA 775 system. ALL FOUR PUSH PIN. Then I proceed to tape the heat sink to the mobo with electrician tape for FOUR DAYS before I can get the replacement cooler ready. The Pc booted fine with the tape on cooler and have been running ever since without a hiccup  

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

sudo rm -rf/ 

Into my father's Linux server when I was too young for anything.

I don't think I've seen my father more angry then that moment. 

Go google that command if you really want to know what it does (although you probably already know what).

My build: tis be ordered

I too like to live dangerously.

post-1173-0-10895900-1412916584_thumb.jp

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I wanted a fan mount on the top of my case and all I had was a jigsaw... http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/155298-mod-log-destroying-the-top-of-my-case-a-fan-mod/

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

The fans on my noctua NHD14 are attached to the heatsink with cable ties. Some fans in my pc are "mounted" that way too. Im just too lazy to screw shit in and hell if it works it works.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I once used my one max with one hand above my head in bed. I could've cracked my skull

Powered USB hub -> Another USB hub -> USB cardreader -> SD to Mini-SD adapter -> Mini-SD to MicroSD adapter -> MicroSD card. Seriously, thats what i was using for copying stuff to and from my camera. 3 years ago, I was using some 10 year old computer (ten years ago from then) as my daily driver. It had no rear USB and like 1 or 2 front USB ports, and I think it might have even been USB 1.1.

Part of the Q6600 club