Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forum!

LinusTech
Message added by colonel_mortis

Welcome to the forum! Please also take a look at the Community Standards to make sure you are aware of our rules.

1 hour ago, Enna Johnsons said:

Hi guys...

8747924ac84616391ae6371638baef0d.gif

Hi. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Hello all.

I'm also new to the forum. I discovered the LTT channel in the early days of the pandemic (not sure how I'd missed it for so long). Love it and love listening to the WAN show every week now.

At 43 years young, I was a PC and Console gamer most of my life, but I'd mostly taken a break from PC gaming (and upgrading) since the Xbox 360 generation. But coincidentally I just did my first build in ages, and am looking forward to getting back into PC gaming as well. 

I'm a huge fan of open world craft/survival games, and my brother in law has been bugging me to get a PC for ages. He'd play on console with me, or we'd play cross platform, but now I can go full on with MODS! So that's exciting. 

Was fun building the PC after all this time. I haven't messed with that stuff since long before the era of M.2's etc.. but it all went smooth and booted on the first go, which is always a good feeling.

Looking forward to getting to know this community.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I've checked out LTT vids here and there over the years, but because I'm always on very aged tech (the newest system I've ever had was a 2008 era laptop I bought in 2010, and I'm currently using a 9 year old laptop) the content often outpaces me by a wide margin. I've never even owned a desktop system with a graphics card newer than a Radeon HD 6000 series. Up until two years ago, my main system was using 8GB DDR3 and an AMD FX-8320E, which died on me.

I do what I can with old parts and very limited income. 🙂 Because I don't game, I often don't need much power. RAM is my big point, because I'm a billion-tabs user. 

I signed up here to get some info about setting up a network system to back up files to, and to assess options for when I finally decide to spend some money again (because my laptop seems like it might be dying from a power issue or something).

I'm comfortable with Ubuntu, Windows, and MacOS and I've built every part of a (pre-2013) system except for thermal-pasting a heat sink to a cpu. Other than that, I'm just a noob here. 🙂 

New guy here joining the forum. I'm a relatively new IT guy (worked for 3 years) but was working in engineering area for 8 years. Now working mostly on IoT stuff and system administrator for my work place. Good day to you all =)

• 4 weeks later...

if anyone else wants to stop by to say hello too, go comment please.

welcome and hello!

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hello but there's an existing thread for forum hellos.  Don't panic if a mod moves your post in there.  Welcome

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Welcome to the dark side.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, ayzhien said:

if anyone else wants to stop by to say hello too, go comment please.

Welcome, but please, look around before you post. We have Welcome! thread. Merged.

As general advice as you may be on your first actual forum (and even if you are veteran forum user), Off Topic is place for constructive, but not strictly tech-related posts. General Discussion is for tech-discussion that doesn't quite fit anywhere else. Anything else, as long as its within rules, can be posted as Status Update which is our social media -style feature.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an inventor of sorts... I came across Linus Tech Tips looking up information for product designs. I find myself watching videos almost every day now. I'm a computer geek, and actually a software developer to go along with being a mechanical engineer for 25+ years. I just love this channel.

Hi all, and thank you for having me here!

I've assembled all my desktops myself (since 2008) and have been an enthusiast in (almost) everything tech related. I have been in some tech forums since the early 00's, and although I have been following LLT for some years, I never felt the need to register in the forums, until now... I am moving to Canada soon, and although it's obvious not all users are Canadian, I think there might be more of them here than in other forums.

I am currently a landscape and astro photographer. I've spent one year in Australia (working and traveling), and was stuck in my home country (Portugal) for the past 2 year due to you know who. I am moving to Canada soon on a Work and Holiday Visa, and my objective is to work roughly 1.5 years and then travel the country for the remaining duration of the visa. Up to recently I had a Ryzen 5 3600 desktop that I have assembled, and it was an awesome machine (always had intel in the past). I had to sell it as I am not moving with a desktop, and bought an used Dell 7580 with an i5-8265u so I have something for the first few weeks. After I settle in I want to buy a better one. Would prefer a desktop, but don't want to keep it for only 1.5 years.

Hope I can contribute to the community, and I will definitely asking for help on choosing a laptop and checking Canadian stores.

I'm on the boring shift at work so I decided the LTT forums looked like a good time.

Bit of history:
I'm 31 but missed all of the good old days of PC building and gaming. Never had to stress about building for Crysis. My first PC gaming experience was that sick asf Hotwheels game (IYKYK). Spent a lot of years on consoles until I got my first laptop for university, but it didn't take me long before I had bought Skyrim on Steam. This was 2013 with integrated graphics so I was playing Skyrim @800x640 in windowed mode. I didn't know about refresh rates or what exactly "fps" was, but I was enjoying myself. Ignorance was bliss.

Fast forward to 2020 and a contract job I was on wasnt renewed, but I managed to pick something else up. I decided to save for a PC.

Specs are as follows:

• Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case in black
  • ASUS TUF 450m+ Gaming mobo
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz memory
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix OC 6GB
  • 1TB SSD

I eventually plucked up the courage to start making modifications:

• Switched 450w PSU to Corsair HX750i 750w 80+ Platinum PSU
  • Replaced RTX 2060 with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Suprim X
  • Replaced RAM with G.Skill Trident Neo Z 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 RGB memory
  • Replaced my trusty old LG 1080p IPS 60Hz monitor with the ASUS VG27AQ 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync compatible monitor.

And in terms of ergonomics I found great pleasure in new mouse mats. I have the giant black Corsair one and I love it so much I might order another one for a spare. I also use the G502 Lightspeed which I love (the RGB stopped working when I spilled cordial on it) as well as the G915 keyboard (I want the TKL version now). 

I was definitely happy. 85-100fps at basically max settings @1440p? Amazing. 

But recently I've been craving a better experience. Will post more in other forums.

Thanks,

P

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, been a few years since I last posted here. Wonder if there are any old hats around from my time.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Hello Everybody,

I'm Mark and I joined this Forum to learn from all your Experiences in PC Building(joking about it) "not Simulated", and in case to get or to give(within my experiences) suggestions. Have a nice day.

Thank You All.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone Im new. to the forum at least 

CPU I7 12700K Motherboard GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X DDR4 RAM G.Skill Trident Z Royal x2 32GB-3200mhz GPU MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 12G OC Gaming Case NZXT H7 Flow Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 X4 PSU Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Display(s) BenQ EX2780Q 27-Inch QHD x3 Cooling be quiet! BK022 Dark Rock Pro 4 Keyboard SteelSeries APEX PRO Mouse LOGITECH G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Sound Bose Qc700 Operating System Windows 11

• 1 month later...

This thread turned 10 years old few days ago, wow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

• 2 weeks later...

What's up gang!? I'm new to the forum and I don't know why it took me this long to sign up and hop on the LTT forums. I've been watching LTT from way way back in the day when Linus looked like a child lol. My first computer was a Commodore 64, some of earliest memories was getting those books that had the source code of a game then you would copy the code and save it to a floppy and POOF your playing Gauntlet. At that time I still wasn't big into computers just yet, I was still enjoying taking things apart and fixing stuff like my parents VCR or stereo receivers that had those tube fuses that would blow and you had to take the whole darn thing apart to replace them instead of buying a whole new one. Moving forward I learned about the BBS and I created one of my own BBS boards, this was the beginning of the internet for me. Moving forward, Windows 3.1, American Online, Credit Card generators and all that fun stuff, haha! With Windows 95 I was finally taking apart computers to upgrade the hardware. Now my interest has peaked in computers. The release of Quake 2 was the first time I bought a GPU! I'll never forget it, I got the Matrox Millennium! I was so blown away, and upgrading the sound blaster cards and shot gunning dual dial up modems! Oh the good old days! My parents thought I was nuts lol. 

I hope to meet some new friends while I'm here. 🙂 

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forum.

I used to be fairly active in the NCIX forums back in the day.

Nice to find a space where people can chat and mingle a bit.

Maybe see you at LTX Expo!

Hello everybody!!  New to the for, old fan of LTT way back. On and off gamer, long time folding at home participant, just joined the LTT team. Still remember the leap in performance of the 486+, the pentium 75, the kind of performance we get today is unreal. Glad to look around and contribute as I can!

hey all from Australia,

awesome videos i have my son hooked on watching them so much better content than the stuff he was watching and hes learning stuff too now...

love it keep it up

Screenshot 2023-01-28 154209.jpg

ee6c442a077d4db79862d6ede307e31c_900x.webp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm new here I been poking around in the past and deicded to make an account till now. I'll try to be active as much as I can lol.

What a classic forums website, i have ten years never seen and used like that forums,i am LTT video fans started 3 years ago,LTT is great video!😆

Long time lurker here, just started posting a week-ish ago, because I keep getting random PC restarts in games. Anyway, hello!

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

Hi guys. My name is Sebastian and I live in Elland/England.
Age 42. I have been interested in computer hardware for years.
Thanks
Rgds