Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forum!

LinusTech
Message added by colonel_mortis

Welcome to the forum! Please also take a look at the Community Standards to make sure you are aware of our rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow techies!

I don't have a PC that I actually built myself yet, but I do have an Acer Nitro 5 with the following specs,

CPU: Intel Core i5-9300H
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

RAM: 8 GB
STORAGE: 256 GB Kingston M.2 SSD (BOOT DRIVE), 1 TB Toshiba HDD (MASS STORAGE)

I am planning to build a PC later this year, with the following specs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 FE

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

PSU: 

SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

CASE: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

PC Part Picker Link

On 1/3/2013 at 3:03 AM, LinusTech said:

Thanks so much for joining. My vision is a community based on positive member interaction and helping each other. I believe that if we all work together toward this goal, we will have success in the long run.

We don't have official forum rules or anything like that yet, but as long as everyone is respectful of each other, and patient with the growing pains that we are going to experience (vBulletin 5 is VERY beta right now) we can make this into an AWESOME community forum.

Linus

image.pngMY CAT LOVES A OVERHEATING MACBOOK IN THE COLD WINTER

Hello fellow tech lovers. My name is Kal, but I go by MashFan81 (or just Mash) across all aspects of the internet. Long time lurker of many gaming and tech forums and websites new and old. Currently an active member of G1AD (G1 After Dark), an offshoot of the old Screwattack days. Also getting back into casual gaming in my middle-aged life. Grew up on Atari and Nintendo and Sega Genesis. First PC was a Leading Edge 486sx. Have ran my own computer repair business in the past and stay up to date on latest tech pretty religiously. I have built maaaaany custom computers for clients over the years, however I only JUST recently built my very first personal rig from the ground up. I usually bought pre-mades and pimped them out a bit, or used 2nd hand tech that was given to me and fixed up. My first go 'round isn't anything super spectacular. Ryzen 5 1st gen refresh with an MSI B450 micro atx, 2x8gb ram, 512gb nvme and a pretty simple mid case. Luckily I had access to a RX570 8gb gpu to hold me over until the graphic card insanity passes. Also got a sweet deal on an Acer 32" curved hd monitor to go with it. Running Win10 and Manjaro in a custom dual boot. Next project is a whole home media server. In a year or two I plan on building my second personal system and going as all-out as I can afford. I'm looking forward to lots of excellent discussion here. Salute!

Hi everyone

I've been watching Linus's Youtube channels since 2019 and they've really helped me update my computer knowledge. My interest got started as a kid in the 90's as my parents were and still are quite computer savvy, but due to several reasons I haven't been able to keep up to date with computer tech since the mid 2000's. I'm currently making an effort to familiarize myself with current tech.        

On 3/4/2021 at 12:08 PM, Big man joe said:

Hi

hi Joe are you Joe mama

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

There's a dedicated thread for this?
How about that.

Welcome to you all, and don't do what I did!

elephants

Hello all,

I started watching Linus' videos during lockdown and have really enjoyed them.  Even though I don't have a PC, I'm not building anything and I'm not particularly technical I still think they're fun.   He seems like a good guy.

I'm posting because I co-host a comedy podcast and we recently mentioned Linus.  We just had a guest on who reviews high-end stereo systems - I think the one he's doing at the moment costs about US$820,000 dollars.  It was  crazy conversation, but of course I mentioned the video where Linus put on the Cyberman-style headphones and listened to that song about fathers and daughters.  I said that Linus commented he wouldn't cry and then ended up crying anyway.  Our guest actually told stories about he's let people listen to his home system (still v.e.r.y. expensive) and they started sobbing.

So, yep. That's my story. I hope it's OK if I share the podcast where when it's up.  If so I'd link directly to the bit where Linus is mentioned.

It's been over a year since I joined, and I never made an introduction post. I don't really post much, but drop in when I have tech questions. I regularly watch LTT media videos on the various Youtube channels, and often tweet at the LTT crew.

My name is Cali, I'm from Indiana, United States. I am a creative artist. In the past, I have worked as a photo editor, and occasional videographer, photographer, and graphic designer. I'm currently building a studio that can be used for video production, photography, and streaming. In recent years I've had to put my creative endeavors on the back burner and take a job in retail. I'm currently working from home for a large North American retail corporation, taking inbound customer service calls, and providing support for other operators. This gives me more time and money to devote towards the creative endeavors, and eventually maybe be able to make a career out of it.

Besides the creative endeavors, I also enjoy gaming, watching professional wrestling, and traveling. I own a Prius because it gets good gas mileage, and is reliable, making it the ultimate roadtrip machine. I like rock music of all varieties, and a little from other genres. I'm also a foodie. I love me some food from all different cultures, looking for that umami! I lived in the melting pot that is the San Francisco Bay Area of California for nearly 4 years, and loved learning about other cultures.

My motto: Love everyone, hurt no one, be excellent to each other.

Hello everyone!

Started getting random suggestions for LTT videos during lockdown and have really liked them even though I don’t have a lot of computer knowledge, used to game a lot on my old e machine and now have have an interest in building my own pc, I do most of my gaming on playstation and was lucky enough to get the new ps5! My other main interest is martial arts and regularly train and compete in Judo and BJJ!

Hey all, 

I occasionally dropped by the forums a few years ago, coming back after my hiatus! I'm the "guy who builds PCs" to my friends who aren't as into hardware as I am. I work in IT as my day job, and love computers (when they play nice) but I've been dabbling more into home lab stuff and plan on trying to use Linux more often, particularly Manjaro or just Ubuntu. I play games mostly on PC, but sometimes on my Xbox. I like finding excuses to build new PCs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Currently learning how to DM in my D&D 5e campaign - its been going for around 4-5 months now? I kind of miss being a player.

I'm also trying to learn more about programming, particularly since I want to build something for fun - an app, automation scripts, etc. I know the basics already, I just need to expand my knowledge. Anyone know of some good open source projects that are beginner-friendly? 

When I'm not messing with tech stuff, I'm usually reading about history, particularly European history and martial arts - HEMA seems really cool and I'd love to get more into it, specifically fighting with Feders or German Longswords. I like photography as well, but I don't think I'm that good at it, always willing to learn more!

"I did it once... I can do it again! That's why I have two children" - Linus 2k15

hi everybody how is it going ? :3 i finally bought my first pc laptop since 11 years ago XD lol i had a late macbook pro 2010 model and its about time to recycle it since apple stores have re opened and the battery is bulging and it kinda pushed down the trackpad a little.....or just destroy the hard drive and throw it away ? lol.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:53 PM, The1DarkWolF said:

hi everybody how is it going ? :3 i finally bought my first pc laptop since 11 years ago XD lol i had a late macbook pro 2010 model and its about time to recycle it since apple stores have re opened and the battery is bulging and it kinda pushed down the trackpad a little.....or just destroy the hard drive and throw it away ? lol.

Hey The1DarkWolF, your Macbook battery is expanding? Here's a helpful iFixit article about swollen Lithium-Ion batteries. https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_with_a_swollen_battery

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Just wanted to say thanks to the channel and forum for rekindling that PC building bug I had when I was younger. I would build PC’s for myself and friends with parts from the local IT market in school (I loved my i7 920 rig back in 2009) but not been on the PC scene for years. Watching LTT and wanting to get into game dev has really got me back into it and I’ve built my first new rig in 12 years (minus new GPU obviously!). luckily 5 years ago I upgraded the GPU as a bit of a spruce for it to a 1050 ti so at least I can use it 🤣 astonished they're still going for the same price on eBay today, mad world.

Went with:-

Ryzen 5800x (first ever red team CPU)

corsiar vengance pro SL 2x16gb

TUF Gaming 550 plus

WD Black SN850 m.2

gigabit Aorus P850

Anyway, hope everyone’s safe and well and look forward to contributing to the community!

Ash

Hello i watch LTT youtube lately and found they have forum and here i am!

Hi everyone! Been a long time watcher of LTT but figured I’d finally make a forum account because why not? Primarily an Apple device user currently but I have built PCs in the past and still do as a hobby when friends need a hand. Looking to build one of my own when prices return to normal.

I know I am not the most active person on LTT forums, but I was just watching a JayZ video while faffing at work and he mentioned the Verified Gamer Program and i thought I'd take a look at LTT forums. Turns out I signed up for LTT forums exactly 7 years ago! Huzzah Cake Day!

Hi from Germany^^,

watching LTT almost since i got my first computer, also watched a lot of older stuff such as videos from the old office (in the house, the watercooling all workstations stuff :D), the moving videos to the new building etc

Hey! Long time lurker first time poster. Hoping to build my first PC soon using all these tech tips! Always wanted to put some Linux on my Firefox, so I am excited!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Hey! Long time lurker first time poster. Hoping to build my first PC soon using all these tech tips! Always wanted to put some Linux on my Firefox, so I am excited!!!!!

Hey there. Warm welcome to the forums! 748522851337764904.gif?v=1

Remember that @Den-Fi is sexy and owns the forums and avoid @Eschew.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

4 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. Warm welcome to the forums! 748522851337764904.gif?v=1

Remember that @Den-Fi is sexy and owns the forums and avoid @Eschew.

image.thumb.png.5c688b5b45dbb7cb3f173a1cd78b7928.png

Nice try, but I don't want any disciplinary action.