Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forum!

LinusTech
Message added by colonel_mortis

Welcome to the forum! Please also take a look at the Community Standards to make sure you are aware of our rules.

Hi all, been watching LTT for about a year or two now, love the style esp as someone from the same generation (first build: Athlon XP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+ (KT266a) with a very light OC, 256MB DDR, Gainward GF3Ti200, 80gb IBM Deathstar (RIP my HS files)).

Just wanted to say a quick hello here before engaging more broadly, mainly to post pics and ask for modding/other advice and such. Looking fwd! 

Hi everyone, Andrea here!

I'm 29 and I live in northern Italy. I'm a big fan of the channel and the community, but I never actually engaged.

Right now, because of a present I gave myself during the latest Prime days, I am in need of info and knowledge about a new build I'm planning.

See you all around,

A

I've been watching LMG channels for about half a year now, and I just thought I'd say hello here at the forum.

I started watching LTT out of necessity.

I had very limited resources and was unemployed for several months at the time. I needed a computer at the absolute cheapest price to be able to land a job I could do from home. I figured that building a PC myself would be the way to go, so I watched, "How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need!" I have always used computers for gaming (gaming cafes) and for work (company owned equipment), but I have never paid any attention to hardware and other PC components, let alone build a PC. Watching all these PC building videos gave me enough confidence to do it myself. I told a buddy of my predicament and consulted with him about a suggestion from one of Linus' videos to just buy a used Dell Optiplex and call it a day. He totally came through and actually built a system for me and only asked me to only pay for the case, PSU, and 256 GB SSD boot drive, which was all cheaper than buying an Optiplex. He gave me some used parts: Intel Core i3-4170 processor, 8 GB DDR3 memory, and a LGA 1150 socket motherboard. I just used peripherals lying around the house.

I have since been hired as a virtual assistant, and am earning decent money now. Dunno if I painted the picture correctly, but all I'm trying to say is that I partially attribute me landing a job to LTT. I'll just pay off my debts and obligations, then I'll buy some merch from lttstore.com as my way of saying thanks and getting my order in the mail as well, just like a merch message. lol

Current upgrades: took my PS4 Pro's 1 TB HDD and slapped it into my system for bulk storage (PS4 got an SSD upgrade), 1050ti, and 16 GB DDR3 memory. I'm possibly looking to upgrade to an Intel Core i7-4790 before swapping out the motherboard to something that may support DDR4 memory, maybe even M.2 drives, but storage is not a priority right now.

I wouldn't have a job or know all this stuff if it weren't for LTT! Huge thanks to all who make these videos possible!

What’s up!

I kind of randomly stumbled upon these forums when I was bored looking up “Linus Tech Tips” on Google.

Anyways, this place seems pretty chill.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 1:39 PM, 4uffin said:

Anyways, this place seems pretty chill.

The irony.

Anyway, I would like to introduce myself as well. 🙂

I'm a 33 year old Game Developer from Greece! 🙂

I mostly play RPGs and Action games and I also love astrophysics and want to get a second degree in Aerospace Engineering and Technology so this year I'm studying about that. 🙂

Oh, and also:

I use Arch, btw. UwU

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 8:23 PM, CovertDuck said:

Hello!

Fellow Canuck here.

I've been lurking around everything LTT for many years now, but had yet to interact with the community.

So here I am!

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering (don't be fooled, by code still suck regardless) and help out with a couple FOSS projects when I can make the time.

I also enjoy ducks.

A Beautiful Duck

QUACK!!!!!

Hello all!

I am a current online college student/gamer/EBay Seller/programmer/CAD developer/Star Wars nerd.

Presently, I am working on my second B.S. degree (my first was in Information Systems) which is in Engineering ALL ONLINE.

Happy to be here and to meet you all!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my name is THX 1138 and I'm all new to this stuff and I was just wondering where I could go to ask basic computer questions on the forum. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Been watching LTT for the better part of 10 years now, have referred to the forum many times for odd ball trouble shooting, but have just now created an account and decided to interact with the community more. Nice to meet my fellow nerds, gamers, and technicians!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. 

43 year old software goblin here, wistfully remembering the days of having my own office. I started my computer adventures with a Lambda 2000. The first *nix I tried was Minix on a Pentium 75. I hopped on the Android train with the Google Dev Phone, and just recently hopped off that train in favor of Ubuntu Touch. 

I've been working with wrangling magic pixies for almost 2 decades and I prefer fiddling with servers and backends because frontend code is dirty. The first programming language I learned was Turbo Pascal, sometime in the early nineties. I tend to assemble my own computers, mostly out of habit. I haven't overclocked anything in over 2 decades. 

For fun I race motorcycles and learn stuff. Oh, and play games. Lots of games.

And my wife refers to me as Lord Pestilence. 

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all, i hope to be around for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

hi everybody, have watched some of his videos and decided to come here and look around

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sup,

uhh about me?

Been a long, Long time viewer, just decided to finally join the forum and see what it’s all about. 

I restore Heritage Railway stock/Locomotives Voluntarily in my spare time outside my paying jobs but I like to think of it as my real job.

i built My PC 8 years ago, it still kinda works for games, thankfully I had the funds for a 1080Ti and a half decent processor back when I lived with my parents or I’d be crying right now 

I’m also Happily Married and soon to be making the move from Britain to the states (Beurocracy permitting) 

looking forward to experiencing the concentrated Flotplane chat

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys! I've been developing games for over 6 years now. I am happy to be part of your community! I hope to find useful content for myself and be able to help someone. Working remotely makes me look for new ways to communicate, so... here I am!

Hey all, bit of a new fan of LTT compared to some of the other fans on here, but I enjoy this channel greatly, and I've learned quite a bit so far. Currently I've been saving up for a new personal rig of mine, which, hasn't been easy since I need more demanding specs to run the stuff I need it to.

Been wanting to branch out and find different ways to talk to people, so I figured joining this forum would be a great way to do that. Some of the things I do include digital media, drawing, games, Lego, and reading. I'm always open to chat about games, movies, and a bunch of other media. 

I've never been good at introductions (or finding good usersnames)

34 year old male from Sweden. Currently studing industrial automation/robotics at Higher Vocational Education level and will also soon have a bachelor in informatic as soon as my thesis gets trough the last process.

I've been watching LTT for about a year and find it a nice way to see some intressting tech as well as learning a bit. 

Outside of tech Im intressted in movies, games, music and trying to understand people. 

I'm not always right.

English is not my native launguage so sometimes I might not make total sense.

Bsc. with a major in informatics.

this is not my first post, but my second. i had a question i needed to get off my chest and felt posting here would best solve that question i had. now that post has been made and is chooching now i'm here, hello!

45 years old, canadian, and for the last 16 years I have professionally been employed as a electronic service technician for an amusement company, while I don't get paid to play videogames all day, I do get to enjoy playing some of them after I repair them. (for testing purposes only of course) 😁 but i have been a service technician of some description for close to 30 some years. I have a knack for taking stuff apart since I was a kid and longed to know how everything worked. it only made sense to become a tech.

• 2 weeks later...

About time that I finally piped up and said hello after making my account... Welp last August...

I've been a long time viewer of LTT, way back from the NCIX days. LTT saw me through the end of high school, a university degree, a further higher education degree and eventually settling into a career that is entirely different to what I first thought I would be doing when I was younger. No complaints though. I love where I've ended up! Time is a flat circle since I am now at a point where I get to go back to the games industry events that I volunteered at years ago as an industry representative.

My day job is producing livestreams and video production for a games studio but you can find me freelancing here and there as well as helping out some of my content creator friends. Bringing ther industry side of things and creator side of things a little closer together.

I do always find it amusing catching the WAN Show vods since producing that sort of content is my bread and butter. 😅

What’s up

I’m not a new member that makes way more dad jokes than I should at 14!

My friends hate my jokes, my dad loves my jokes, and the entire world cringes at me!

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

i have been a long time watcher for a while and finaly decided to join the fourms. i enjoy the tech and experments! my self i like to program PLC and fix industrial machines for work and do tech things at home like program, play games, run my remote robots, and lately work on my tiny retro laptop infront of my big 4k screen on my rig.

speaking of my rig i use an I7-8700(non k) with 64gb ram and nvidia rtx 3080 as my main gpu.
my little retro laptop is a model i grew up on. mitsubishi amity CN, a fanless pentium cpu with 48mb of ram installed. 2gb HDD. currently use 2 4gb CF cards for big games and general data transfer from my main system. it sports a whopping 7in screen passive matrix at 640x480. and it can run starcraft brood war 😄 

i am mostly active on discord but im sure if you google my name you can reach out to me just about most platforms. i used to stream but i dont have the time with my current still new job. 

anyway i look forward to posting and replying and getting to know some of you. feel free to dm/pm me here or anywhere you can find me. it's not that hard to find me, (online only please)

Howdy, I'm Steve, and I finally took the time to set up an account!

I used to participate in forums all the time, and even hosted a few phpBB-based boards about 10 years ago, but Wordpress was my favorite thing to tinker with.

I didn't join today out of any urgent need for tech advice, I just came across the forum after searching for the LTT Video Bible text from one of the live shows a while back (and found it) and realized that I'm constantly missing "the old forum days" yet I haven't joined this forum.

I'd consider myself on the lower side of intermediate skill level with hardware/software, I build very utilitarian video editing rigs, and currently own three LTT screwdrivers.

literally just made an account after watching linus for almost 2 years