Vice-President of CaseLabs calls out Thermaltake for directly copying their designs (Computex 2015)

Nothing about that made any sense. You claim they exactly copied the ideas, yet anyone with eyes can see they did make changes, including the grills, and materials. Not to mention the lack of customization options that caselabs offers (you customize your case when you order it to my knowledge). Not to mention, as you said "give it your own look and it's not a problem".....that's exactly what they did. There are only so many ways to design a roomy box with standard mounts for computer components.

They copied the layout? Yeah, they did, guess what, you can't copyright a layout.

I did not claim they copied the idea, I said if they copied the general idea and made their own case it'd be all good, thats what capitalism is all about.

they sure as hell did not give it their own look.  they grills are very slightly different, you can only tell after looking at them side by side for a couple minutes.

and based on some of the other posts, the layout is what they did not copy; but certainly what they should have copied (and improved on).  

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Like Linus said the PC case industry is built off iteration and invention through new ways to make cases rather then the actual design themselves. You will find Case Labs is similar to Lian Li and probably many other case manufacturers and vice versa.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I have an X9, but if I knew about this before I had it I probably would have gone with case labs, even though case labs doesnt have a double wide case that can hold a 480mm rad. The X9 is a good value but there are plenty of quality issues, paint is cheap, some screws don't hold very well, case power LED bleeds into the HDD LED.

There was NOTHING like case labs before case labs. Not lian li, not mountain mods, nothing.

uhhhh..... you need to go back and look, and i mean REALLY look at some old 90s server cases.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491943/old-school-doublewide-server-case-modders-dream(that's a 3.5 floppy drive there...)

there's no question where CL got their "inspiration" from with their id.  They took old server case designs (which, they were already in the business of making) and started selling them to the public in 2010.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/about-us/

funny thing is.... the server case thread was first posted in 2009.  a year before caselabs cases were even for sale to the "enthusiast".

at the end of the day, it's a metal box.  people throwing a fit over a metal box looking like another metal box is just downright silly.

uhhhh..... you need to go back and look, and i mean REALLY look at some old 90s server cases.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491943/old-school-doublewide-server-case-modders-dream(that's a 3.5 floppy drive there...)

there's no question where CL got their "inspiration" from with their id.  They took old server case designs (which, they were already in the business of making) and started selling them to the public in 2010.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/about-us/

funny thing is.... the server case thread was first posted in 2009.  a year before caselabs cases were even for sale to the "enthusiast".

at the end of the day, it's a metal box.  people throwing a fit over a metal box looking like another metal box is just downright silly.

I think I mentioned it somewhere in this thread but that's actually what got me into CL. I used to work with cases like that and the current case market had none of that. Lian li cases were the only choice for cases that style for a while, but even they don't match CL quality. The only way to get a case like CL was to find an old server case...hell new server cases are nothing like that either...most of them anyway. 

Before CL for enthusiasts there was a couple of sorta similar Lian li cases...and that mountian mod shit

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

As if this thread needed bumping again after pretty much every tech person on YT weighed in on the debate in favor of TT.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Can I just say I expected alot more interms of internal functionality when Thermaltake "copied" the Caselabs cases they bought? I mean, a box is a box, that shit wasn't exactly patented, trademarked, copyrighted, etc... but yeah... I kinda wanted like atleast some aftermarket pump brackets or some pump brackets already included, some (more) pre-drilled holes for reservoir mounting, I dunno. Maybe because I'm already petrified with the build quality that Thermaltake showed in when Hardware Cannucks did a video on them. I mean, If that case is worth $200 at minimum, can I get like more structural integrity? Feels like if I accidentally hit or apply pressure on one of those panels, I might bend it.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

As if this thread needed bumping again after pretty much every tech person on YT weighed in on the debate in favor of TT.

In favor?

Err did you see what jay was like?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

In favor?

Err did you see what jay was like?

There is also Barnacules and TTL. Claiming that every single tech YouTuber is on ThermalTake's side of the issue is an erroneous blanket statement at best.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

There is also Barnacules and TTL. Claiming that every single tech YouTuber is on ThermalTake's side of the issue is an erroneous blanket statement at best.

Nope, there's only Jay. I still maintain just how fucking uncomfortable Jerry was on the Jay TT meltdown on tech talk, he clearly wanted out of that because he realized he is just not familiar enough to weight in but he's too much of a good guy to just leave Jay hanging on his hate bandwagon all alone.

-------

Current Rig

-------