Vice-President of CaseLabs calls out Thermaltake for directly copying their designs (Computex 2015)

True. But if on a budget and wanting a case with gobs of room for water cooling, the Core X9 is the way to go, as all the money you wanted to spend on water cooling, would be spent on a caselabs case, if you went with them.

I've seen those. Not as good a job as Linus would do, as Linus would get right to the point. Everyone I've seen review a Caselabs case just takes too freaking long to review it, and ends up not answer my questions (or I miss the answer because they took forever to answer the damned question, and I stopped paying attention)

linus gives overviews at best. Those videos are something you'd watch if you were seriously considering dropping like 500 usd on a case. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

A case is a case of course of course unless of course the case in course is from case labs. in which case it is simply a bigger case of course.

of course.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes, it's called trade dress, and when you invest months of your life studying human psychology and usage of tech to craft that interface, I'm sure you'd love to protect the design and make money off of it. Luckily that kind of "patent" lasts only 6 years.

what's next? patenting the shape bread is made? 

what's next? patenting the shape bread is made? 

That's been done actually. The silhouette of Coca Cola's bottle is patented too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That's been done actually. The silhouette of Coca Cola's bottle is patented too.

oh .. good, maybe someone will patent penis shapes and sizes  :ph34r:

or someone has done that too

oh .. good, maybe someone will patent penis shapes and sizes  :ph34r:

or someone has done that too

If you think dildo/vibrator forms haven't been filed under a utility patent somewhere, you're crazy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

looking at the thermal take one makes me think of the lian li ones

Its all about those volumetric clouds

If you think dildo/vibrator forms haven't been filed under a utility patent somewhere, you're crazy.

I'm not the crazy one, the world is .. we will end up with patents on how we should eat our food, to breathe or walk

I thought the EXACT same - didn't even click on links, I've already seen plenty of caselabs builds and the thumbnail looked no different

Just as further reminder to everyone on how much of a tool Shannon@Thermaltake is, see my posts in the T81 thread

http://www.overclock.net/t/1490666/thermaltake-urban-t81-owners-club

You wonder why no popular media/youtuber has a good and frequent rapport with him....... :rolleyes:

I honestly, probably would have put up with that case (T81), but Shannon's responses just made me disgusted with the company in general and made me want to jump ship even more

seriously, screw Thermaltake

Tp be completely honest I don't see where was he being a tool. It seems like he was trying to be neutrual and try remedy your complaints.

As for copying. Well they do look similar, but there's only so many ways for a rectangle case. I'm not sure. TT has never been one for quality tho so I don't expect much. Tho they are pretty cheap

question: one is Fractal Design, one is ThermalTake, guess what's what

-snip-

---

my take on this:

did ThermalTake copied the original blueprints? looks line not - TT had to design their own product from ground up, even if they did reverse-engineering, that's still work to be done

TT did not sold (copy) products with the original manufacturer's logo, they sold the products with the TT logo

this industry has gone nuts with the things you can patent

I was coming to post TTLs video just now. Freakin' ridiculous if you ask me. Yeah yeah I get it guys, cases are similar, similar features, but these cases LOOK exactly the same. If Apple can get away with sueing for a phone (which for all intents and purposes can't really have much variety, where a case CAN), then this is on a whole 'nother level. 

Every case is a copy now, with a few exceptions. 

I was just about to say this.

CaseLabs thinks it is special but it isn't...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I was gonna leave that golden nugget of stupidity alone. 

That's a link to this very thread! :D

Originally, zMeul's post was a whole thread, however they both got merged together because his thread was a repost to this thread. 

Originally, zMeul's post was a whole thread, however they both got merged together because his thread was a repost to this thread. 

someone else pointed that out, makes sense. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I was referring to the new Core X series, which are clearly taking from CL designs... I never mentioned Cooler Master at all...

The core series from Case Labs will probably be much better anyways :P 

I watched TTL's video on the matter and felt I should expand on what I said.

I think its wrong. But lets be honest. TT has had one of the worse reputation out there. On his poll I selected it's wrong but I don't care. Why? Because companies like this pop up all the time. Over time people will realise that they're inferior even with their cheap prices and eventually people will shun from them like they have been.

I think its wrong. But lets be honest. TT has had one of the worse reputation out there. On his poll I selected it's wrong but I don't care. Why? Because companies like this pop up all the time. Over time people will realise that they're inferior even with their cheap prices and eventually people will shun from them like they have been.

That may be true but given the extremely premium prices of case labs, that cheapo option will appeal to a lot of people. For fractal and everyone else TT has ripped off of, that argument sure does work. But not really CL 

muh specs 

All parts black

I was referring to the new Core X series, which are clearly taking from CL designs... I never mentioned Cooler Master at all...

You mean these?

ab8d6a4b-2f54-4232-943a-262ea5968b84.jpg

They're not exactly new though. At least 9 months old now. And they're not similar to Caselabs at all. I guess the one in the OP is similar, if it belongs to this series, which is 1 out of 4.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You mean these?

snip

They're not exactly new though. At least 9 months old now. And they're not similar to Caselabs at all. I guess the one in the OP is similar, if it belongs to this series, which is 1 out of 4.

Those like similar but the new ones are pretty much identical

10479477_1413341845657818_81483587354619

11119542_1413341848991151_74114960812144This photos are from Kevin Keating's facebook page

I think it's pretty clear what they did at TT

Really?  It doesn't seem to have bad rep here,  While not being top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, they aren't cheap crap either.  In the early 2000's they were actually considered by many as respectable case building company, though their PSU's weren't very popular and often undersized. 

In regard to the OP:

TT have been around since 2000 (maybe even earlier but I don't remember them from before then).  Even though case labs cases are awesome and as a company have been around since the 70's they have only been making pc cases since 2010.  So I don't think it's fair to just shit on TT like they are some cheap arse new comer.  Maybe they stole the design, maybe they didn't, but given how much longer TT have been making cases it would be beyond reason to believe they already had many similar designs on paper before the case labs design anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Really?  It doesn't seem to have bad rep here,  While not being top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, they aren't cheap crap either.  In the early 2000's they were actually considered by many as respectable case building company, though their PSU's weren't very popular and often undersized. 

In regard to the OP:

TT have been around since 2000 (maybe even earlier but I don't remember them from before then).  Even though case labs cases are awesome and as a company have been around since the 70's they have only been making pc cases since 2010.  So I don't think it's fair to just shit on TT like they are some cheap arse new comer.  Maybe they stole the design, maybe they didn't, but given how much longer TT have been making cases it would be beyond reason to believe they already had many similar designs on paper before the case labs design anyway.

How about this 

main.jpgAPOGEE-XL-BLUEX600.jpg

They may have licensed the design but Swiftech is not mentioned once on their website

How about this 

main.jpgAPOGEE-XL-BLUEX600.jpg

what about it?

what about it?

Thermaltake's block is made of aluminum. I hope you know that nobody that makes a custom water loop will put a piece of aluminum on their loop. 

what about it?

Thermaltake's block is made of aluminum. I hope you know that nobody that makes a custom water loop will put a piece of aluminum on their loop. 

And they look exactly the same

This is kinda funny to me. Sure it sucks that the company isnt even bothering to innovate, but they saw a market and they capitalized on it. CaseLabs cases are stupidly expensive and a lot of people wish they had them, so by providing "knock-off" versions of them they can make a lot of money as well as make a lot of customers happy.

So really i kinda feel like this is case labs fault, either they should bring down their price, incentivizing people to not buy the knock offs, or they should make some unique innovations in their cases to motivate people to see that their cases are better. This is business101 to me, if i can do something cheaper and just as good as you, ill do it and take all your customers.

Just remember everyone, companies are in it for the money. No matter what it always comes down to the dollar bill. And by posting this statement online it was a calculated PR move in order to swing public opinion in their direction and away from thermaltake. Now everyone is coming out of the woodwork supporting CaseLabs and saying how amazing they are, even though most these people just dream about owning those cases.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)