SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

1 minute ago, ej24 said:

Well seeing as sentry has been completely engineered with 1mm steel, I think aluminum would have to wait for version 2 if there ever is one. Aluminum is very nice, I have a few lian li cases but damn they're expensive. 

What about an alloy of it? Because my current case is made of aluminium of around 1mm thickness, and it feels cheap as all hell compared to the cheapest of my cases from 2004 (one is just a generic ATX case with 1mm of steel, the other was used for a workstation and is very well built+100% tool-less with a bracket for supporting any PCIE card that gets installed)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

What about an alloy of it? Because my current case is made of aluminium of around 1mm thickness, and it feels cheap as all hell compared to the cheapest of my cases from 2004 (one is just a generic ATX case with 1mm of steel, the other was used for a workstation and is very well built+100% tool-less with a bracket for supporting any PCIE card that gets installed)

Aluminum welding is much more expensive than welding steel if I'm not mistaken. Also the bending and cnc machining would all have to be redesigned for new tolerances. It's a totally different material with totally different working constraints and engineering concerns. Sentry will be plenty good in powder coated steel. I'd hate to increase the development time or cost any further. 

man its been over a year since this came to light , is it any closer to becoming available?

oh and on your website the gallery is just an empty page :/ 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On ‎16‎.‎09‎.‎2015 at 7:53 AM, SaperPL said:

qKhzMtZl.jpg

All details will be black like in the white version but the main body will be black.

tumblr_mx9qqhuZXn1qmrnvxo1_r1_400.gif

(sorry I had to :P)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

19 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

Ah I see! Thanks for he info! Yeah I don't blame you if you don't have unpainted versions. I was just thinking if there was an aluminum one it would look real nice. :)

3 hours ago, ej24 said:

Aluminum welding is much more expensive than welding steel if I'm not mistaken. Also the bending and cnc machining would all have to be redesigned for new tolerances. It's a totally different material with totally different working constraints and engineering concerns. Sentry will be plenty good in powder coated steel. I'd hate to increase the development time or cost any further. 

Just some cons for aluminum:

- Over all is aluminum more expensive, espacially if you compare it to more or less regular steel 

-Steel is more versatile than aluminum ... or better regular steel has a decent hard- and stiffness !and! is still easy to bent. It also has a better machinability (and all of these characteristics can be modified by adding diffrent elements, if you ad more carbon in a steel alloy it get harder but break easier and is more susceptible for corosion, it can also be hardned with thermal influencing).

For aluminum alloys you often have to "sacrifice" (not fully but at a point where you have to compensate it with a bigger material thickness) some characteristics to get a suitable material. (A hard and stiff aluminum alloy like AlZnMgCu1,5 break very fast when you bent it for example)

- (resulting consequence) If you have to go with a thicker material you have automatically extra hight and with thicker matiral you can't bent as tight, you have to plan with round edges. (or produce "bending" parts by milling from blocks or  -for mass production-  go for die-castening which is all much more expensive than bending thin sheets of steel)

- Non magnetic! To add dust filters you probably have to glue, clamp (need space) or screw instead of just throwing anything on any side.

- (resulting consequence) Scratch resistance (this system is meant to be portable), if you go for plain maybe sanded aluminum (anodized would be better, but you have to get in acount and plan the the extra layer of anodized aluminum like a powder coat)  you're going to scratch the case very fast, steel (or the powder coat in this case) are more resistant to scratches (or are not as easy to see).

- For durable threads you have to use thread inserts when you want to screw directly in aluminum

(= extra work)

For SFF cases you can more or less say that picking steel as a material instead of aluminum safe time, money and annoy. If you want to go for aluminum (for asthatics for example) you should plan from the beginning with a thick frame design or mill the whole thing or go with bumped corners and screws. 

PS: Sorry for spelling errors or literal translations that are not as easy to understand :D (and grammar)

Edited by Narnash
made it easier to read

On 2.12.2016 at 10:22 AM, Narnash said:

Just some cons for aluminum:

- over all is aluminum more expensive, espacially if you compare it to more or less regular steel 

- steel is more versatile than aluminum ... or better regular steel has a decent hard- and stiffness !and! is still easy to bent. It also has a better machinability (and all of these characteristics can be modified by adding diffrent elements, if you ad more carbon in a steel alloy it get harder but break easier and is more susceptible for corosion, it can also be hardned with thermal influencing).

For aluminum alloys you often have to "sacrifice" (not fully but at a point where you have to compensate it with a bigger material thickness) some characteristics to get a suitable material. (A hard and stiff aluminum alloy like AlZnMgCu1,5 break very fast when you bent it for example)

- (resulting consequence) if you have to go with a thicker material you have automatically extra hight and with thicker matiral you can't bent as tight, you have to plan with round edges. (or produce "bending" parts by milling from blocks or - for mass production- go for die-castening which is all much more expensive than bending thin sheets of steel)

- non magnetic to add dust filters you probably have to glue, clamp (need space) or screw instead of just throwing anything on any side 

- (resulting consequence) scratch resistance (this system is meant to be portable), if you go for plain maybe sanded aluminum (anodized would be better, but you have to get in acount and plan the the extra layer of anodized aluminum like a powder coat)  you're going to scratch the case very fast, steel (or the powder coat in this case) are more resistant to scratches (or are not as easy to see).

- for durable threads you have to use thread inserts when you want to screw directly in aluminum (= extra work)

For SFF cases you can more or less say that picking steel as a material instead of aluminum safe time, money and annoy. If you want to go for aluminum (for asthatics for example) you should plan from the beginning with a thick frame design or mill the whole thing or go with bumped corners and screws. 

PS: sorry for spelling errors or literal translations that are not as easy to understand :D (and grammar)

I can only add some things:

We didn't go with steel instead of aluminium, just because aluminium is more expensive. That wasn't the point. When we started the project we thought about making everything with aluminium, but there were some things that came up:

- aluminium case was bigger, because it needed an internal frame (without frame, we would need thicker aluminium sheets to keep stiffness, and then the cost of it could matter and additional weight would made it pointless to go that way),

- stiffness and durability of aluminium wasn't satisfying. We have many aluminium pc-cases and all of them, when transporting in the car trunk, got some dents when they were not fastened somehow (even when they were in a bag). We wanted to make something "stronger", so we designed a "tank" instead an aluminum toy. 

- we needed to add threads somehow, so we are using threaded bushings, because there are so many spots for screws (and we don't have automatic machines for making them), that we had to make it fast and cheap with the tools we have,

- we didn't want to use rivets if it isn't necessery, so we had to go with screws or point-welding. We picked the 2nd option, but for aluminium it is very hard to make such operation,

- from our experience, anodized aluminium don't have to be less scratch resistant than powder coating, but with powder coating You can pick a structural type of paint which can make scratches and fingerprints less visible, Maybe if brushed aluminium would be used, but this is also additional cost.

To sum up:

At the start of the project we didn't think about mass production of pc-cases (we are making wind turbines, not computer parts). My little brother just wanted his own steam-box-like case, so we designed it to be the cheapest in terms of making it with small production run. While the project was moving forward, it turns out that more and more people also wanted such case, so we were making changes according to their/your wishes, but still keeping everything according to our "small-production-run" design. If we would go with aluminium case, then for sure we wouldn't be at the place where we are at this moment, and the price would be twice as high when talking about small production run (below 5000 units). We are reading comments and we see people who are arguing that they could make such pc-case made from aluminium for half of its actual price, but when we look into our calculation sheets, the only thing we can say to them is "good luck". There is a simple life example of aluminium case small production run: S4 Mini. A great, small pc case made by Josh from NFC. He had to spent a lot of time designing it, and still he is at the point where it costs $150 only for aluminium parts without power cables, usb-cables, pci-e riser, power button, rubber feet, etc. etc. The small production run kills the price, and if You want to go down with costs, you have to design molds for presses, which are ultra-expensive, and to do that You have to get an order for something like 5000-10000 pcs. If you go for crowdfunding and you do not know how many orders will you get, then you have to design everything with assumption this will be a small production run, and because of that, everything will cost more, no matter if the case is made of aluminium or galvanized steel.

I love this project I dream about it every day I love you thank you very much dr.zaber I love you
I spent a lot of time thinking about this case and there is no way to be better... All components are well located...
I'm here for gtx 1080  founder edidion... 
This cooler Does not make sence in a small case ''Core Clock Dropping During Gaming''
So  which  one 1080 would fit?
Well ... a GTX 1080 G1 maybe,  the same reference PCB with a better cooler...
Which is exactly what we need in a space like that... low temp cooler...
so... dr.zaber guy can you try this GTX 1080 G1 for us? or maybe others models?
like...  ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Edition
will be much better for us... 
Thank you so much for what you have done so far...
Sorry for my english
I'm from Brazil 
and I've been waiting a long time for this case
If does not sell here ... No problem i go to Poland and buy it

gigabyte_gtx_1080_g1_gaming_11.jpg

gigabyte_gtx_1080_g1_gaming_13.jpg

11 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

I love this project I dream about it every day I love you thank you very much dr.zaber I love you
I spent a lot of time thinking about this case and there is no way to be better... All components are well located...
I'm here for gtx 1080  founder edidion... 
This cooler Does not make sence in a small case ''Core Clock Dropping During Gaming''
So  which  one 1080 would fit?
Well ... a GTX 1080 G1 maybe,  the same reference PCB with a better cooler...
Which is exactly what we need in space like that... low temp cooler...
so... dr.zaber guy can you try this GTX 1080 G1 for us? or maybe others models?
like...  ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Edition
will be much better for us... 
Thank you so much for what you have done so far...

gigabyte_gtx_1080_g1_gaming_11.jpg

gigabyte_gtx_1080_g1_gaming_13.jpg

The founders edition or any other blower cooler is best. This type of cooler exhausts the hot air out the back by the hdmi/dp/dvi ports. Open coolers like the G1 tends to spew hot air all around them and in to the interior of the case making everything hotter. I have a 1080 founders edition and  it usually boosts up to 1900mhz (2000mhz when over clocked) while staying below 75C (80C when over clocked). The vapor chamber cooler on the founders edition is really good. I use MSI Afterburner to increase the fan curve a little bit (maybe 5% over stock) and it always stays cool. A blower cooler is always best for small volume pc case. 

If you insist on open air cooler style, the G1 looks like it would fit. http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/

Their website lists maximum size gpu that the case will accommodate. Check it out. Be sure to only use gpu measurements from the manufacturers website. I wouldn't expect the Sentry guys to buy a 1080 just to test it. Just look at the measurements. Again, I highly recommend a blower cooler

4 minutes ago, ej24 said:

The founders edition or any other blower cooler is best. This type of cooler exhausts the hot air out the back by the hdmi/dp/dvi ports. Open coolers like the G1 tends to spew hot air all around them and in to the interior of the case making everything hotter. I have a 1080 founders edition and  it usually boosts up to 1900mhz (2000mhz when over clocked) while staying below 75C (80C when over clocked). The vapor chamber cooler on the founders edition is really good. I use MSI Afterburner to increase the fan curve a little bit (maybe 5% over stock) and it always stays cool. A blower cooler is always best for small volume pc case. 

really? 
ok tham i go for founders edition
fan in 100% 
thank you so much

2 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

really? 
ok tham i go for founders edition
fan in 100% 
thank you so much

If the founders edition is too expensive there are other blower cards. 

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-AERO-8G-OC.html#hero-overview

These are usually cheaper than founders edition. However, I do not know if the cooler is as good as the founders edition. Look for reviews to see what other people think. 

6 minutes ago, ej24 said:

If the founders edition is too expensive there are other blower cards. 

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-AERO-8G-OC.html#hero-overview

These are usually cheaper than founders edition. However, I do not know if the cooler is as good as the founders edition. Look for reviews to see what other people think. 

and for cpu cooler?
Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler  is good? or stoock cooler or...

Silverstone NT07-1156

with one i pick up?

1 minute ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

and for cpu cooler?
Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler  is good? or stoock cooler or...

Silverstone NT07-1156

with one i pick up?

Noctua is very good. I use it with my i7-4790s, never goes over 72C in normal situations. As long as you arent over clocking a cpu like crazy, Noctua will be sufficient. The Noctua will definitely be quieter than Silverstone. 

2 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

there is no GTX 1080 AERO vs founders edition tests... 
but...
this price is rigth? 218 for a gtx 1080?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GVNN9GQ/ref=twister_B01H2UVHJI?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

The link took me to a Zotac 1070. 218$ for a 1070 sounds suspiciously cheap. Take such deals at your own risk. It could be a scam. Or maybe a really good deal. Check ebay there are sometimes used founders edition 1080 a little cheaper than full price. 

4 minutes ago, ej24 said:

Noctua is very good. I use it with my i7-4790s, never goes over 72C in normal situations. As long as you arent over clocking a cpu like crazy, Noctua will be sufficient. The Noctua will definitely be quieter than Silverstone. 

can i do overclock in a dr zaber case with 6700k with this noctua? or not good idea?

4 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

can i do overclock in a dr zaber case with 6700k with this noctua? or not good idea?

6700k with noctua may hit 80-85c with only small over clock. If you leave it at stock speeds it may be ok, below 80c. I can't guarantee as I don't have that cpu. Just estimating based on what I have seen and read online. It is more of a limitation of the noctua than a limitation of the Dr. Zaber case 

1 minute ago, ej24 said:

6700k with noctua may hit 80-85c with only small over clock. If you leave it at stock speeds it may be ok, below 80c. I can't guarantee as I don't have that cpu. Just estimating based on what I have seen and read online. 

i will go with 6700 only... 6700k 4.6 only 7-10 fps...
thank you
OMFG 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01FMF6DAS/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_style_name=3
GTX 1080 Founders Edition

287 dollars... 

9 minutes ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

i will go with 6700 only... 6700k 4.6 only 7-10 fps...
thank you
OMFG 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01FMF6DAS/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_style_name=3
GTX 1080 Founders Edition

287 dollars... 

It says contact before ordering? I have never seen this on Amazon. It sounds suspicious. Be careful of deals that sound too good to be real. 

If you're still interested in getting help picking parts I suggest starting a new thread so we don't hijack the Sentry thread. 

16 minutes ago, ej24 said:

It says contact before ordering? I have never seen this on Amazon. It sounds suspicious. Be careful of deals that sound too good to be real. 

If you're still interested in getting help picking parts I suggest starting a new thread so we don't hijack the Sentry thread. 

yeahh...  sounds suspicious  or maybe it's from china... kkkkk
nice build for dr zaber case?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RhNVm8
?

Read reviews on the Silverstone psu. Many Silverstone sfx psu seem to have issue with the fan. I have corsair sf600. It is a good choice.  Overall the build looks good. Keep in mind, Intel will be releasing/announcing new cpus in January or February.  Might want to wait. 

7 hours ago, arthurdemelo123 said:

yeahh...  sounds suspicious  or maybe it's from china... kkkkk
nice build for dr zaber case?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RhNVm8
?

I'd add a few bucks to the motherboard to get a unit with two M.2 slots (SSD & Wifi) for futureproofing and maybe if You want to go big bucks on PSU then why not pick up one of those new 92mm fan versions of short SFX PSUs from Silverstone? 450W should be enough for your build.

Also I'm not really sure if You need a custom cooling solution right from the start. Zombi's i7-6700 running on stock cooler is pretty quiet even under load with reasonable temps.

9 minutes ago, Midnightblaze said:

Have i missed the Kickstarter Yet?

this thread makes it seem like the kickstarter was 2 months ago.

Not that I know of. They are planning for indigogo anyways so I really don't think that thread is legit.

+ No news letter yet.

C'mon Zaber gais, We are waiting. 

They haven't started the Indigogo campaign yet. It sounds like it will start soon; but they said that they'll give us a heads up before they actually start the campaign.