SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

5 hours ago, Offkill said:

you can't carry a case, a monitor, and a keyboard around in you backpack or put them in your luggage when flying.

Well, you need to do more homework then. The Zaber guys have already done a post on this a while ago. They managed to cram a screen, and keyboard along with the case in a 17 in' bag (perhaps). I would agree it's not an elegant solution, but it's do-able. But it will probably open up a market for "skeleton laptop" with display, keyboard, touch-pad and data + audio pass-through. Hell, I would want to design one myself if I have the knowledge and connection. Along with the intel compute stick, it would be a nice travel combo along with the sentry case to create a travel-meeting-work package. It will probably have a market for travelling professionals or college students. Anyways, I will link the post down below.

As for the question about blower-style vs open air GPU, the standard answer is it doesn't matter. if you use blower, it's like 2~ degree hotter on the card, but your CPU temps are 2~ degree lower. But it depends on if you plan to overclock or not, but any sane individual planning to purchase this case shouldn't think about serious overclocking unless they like bacon and eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Happy New Year guys!

@Offkill Woah, that's a lot of text for new year's eve :)

We know our target for mobility:

1) Game developers. Taking hardware to an expo by the plane in a checked luggage becomes a nightmare when that luggage with hardware is misplaced at the airport and you have appointments where you want to show off your product to the publisher. Having the ability to take that hardware in your backpack gets rid of that risk. Laptops do work here, but we know that performance in laptops cost a lot more and performance for such machine is essential for VR, deploying fixed builds and running smoothly.

2) Competitive players. On sponsored tourneys there are usually rigs provided for competitors, but games have their quirks when running on different hardware and setting up the rig to your config takes time. When rules allow it, some people will want to play on their own pre-configured hardware rather than building their setup from scratch.

As for the packing the screen inside:

There are some mobile screens popping up.

Some screens can be dismantled from their stand and fit inside a bag or maybe backpacks (depending on their size).

Hotels can have TV that you'll be able to connect your setup to.

If you're going to an expo as a game developer, then you're probably already renting big TV's for your stand.

If you're going to a competitive event then there's a chance you'll have a rig there with a screen to connect to.

Also Zombi did fit his rig with a small screen dismantled inside the bag that is visible on our website.

So there's quite a lot options for a screen :)

For the tests Linus did - the hardware was obviously way too much for our case. Going for 1080 and mainstream 1151 platform would be better to show its potential. If you want to see more realistic tests then check out other reviews that are attached in gallery on our website.

2 hours ago, ZombiPL said:

We just made a tiny modification to our website:

www.zaber.com.pl/sentry

We hope you will like it :)

Awesome!  I've been waiting for this case since I saw Linus's video on it.

So when the Indigo campaign starts next week, will I be able to purchase it right away or do I need to wait until it has sufficient backing funds first? Also what kind of shipping is available to the U.S.? I'm asking because I want to know how many days shipping and processing the order is going to take from the time I make the purchase. I will be away from my home towards the end of the month and I don't want to leave any packages unattended outside my door. 

Interesting to see the final product and reviews later on. Though I'm not 100% convinced that 3L less volume (and thus more heat) are worth the potential $115 premium over something like a Node 202, or RVZ02 (5L less).

As of the current revision, would I still need to reverse/remove the fan grille on a Silverstone SFX-L power supply?

45 minutes ago, forScience said:

So when the Indigo campaign starts next week, will I be able to purchase it right away or do I need to wait until it has sufficient backing funds first?

Crowdfunding usually works in the way, that after making contribution to get something, you have to wait until the campaing will hit its time or orders limit (campaign has to be successful). In our situation campaign will last for about a month and 1st batch of Sentry will be limited to 1000 pcs. It means if one of those targets will be achieved we will start the production (for example, if we gather 1000 orders in one week, next day we will start ordering stuff). There is also 3rd option. We do not have to gather 1000 orders. We need only 100 orders to start the production. If You order Your SENTRY and we hit 100 orders, then You will be sure that You will receive your pc-case. If not, Indiegogo will refund You Your money. Please remember we do not have SENTRYs lying on the shelves. Every pc-case is "made to your order" and will get its individual number. Maybe in the future, if we will gather enough orders, we will be able to make a stock to sell them immediately. At this moment, after becoming a "backer" You will have to wait to see if the campaign will hit its target, then to produce the case and finally to ship it to Your place. We will write everything in the campaign, including the timeline, so everyone will get the full information about it.

45 minutes ago, forScience said:

Also what kind of shipping is available to the U.S.? I'm asking because I want to know how many days shipping and processing the order is going to take from the time I make the purchase. I will be away from my home towards the end of the month and I don't want to leave any packages unattended outside my door. 

We have offers from 4 different transport providers. We picked the best option in terms of "value-for-money" from those which are provided with insurance, package tracking and confirmation of delivery. It means You will know when Your package will arrive. We do not really know how long will shipping take to each country. While picking our postal provider we were thinking about the safety of the package, its tracking option and of course the cheapest price possible. From our point of view, if You waited over 2 years for the Sentry crowdfunding campaign, there is no difference if you will have to wait 2 or 4 weeks for shipment. We will be sending those packages in that way for the first time, so after the first batch we will be able to write: transport to this and that country takes this and that number of days. Right now We can assure You, that You will get the cheapest possible transport which will be insured, with delivery confirmation and which You will be able to track during whole trip (for example, package to USA for < $30). 

6 minutes ago, Jotunn said:

As of the current revision, would I still need to reverse/remove the fan grille on a Silverstone SFX-L power supply?

SFX is a standard of power supplies written in directives for manufacturers. We made our PC-case according to those standards. If some manufacturers are designing products not exactly according to those norms, then the only thing we can do is to help You as a user to solve the problem. In this case, if Silverstone PSU grill wasn't improved and is still sticking out of the SFX form factor, then YES, You will have to reverse it or (like Linus suggested), maybe even remove it (remember to make those operations always while being disconnected from the power-source in the wall !!!).

Just now, ZombiPL said:

SFX is a standard of power supplies written in directives for manufacturers. We made our PC-case according to those standards. If some manufacturers are designing products not exactly according to those norms, then the only thing we can do is to help You as a user to solve the problem. In this case, if Silverstone PSU grill wasn't improved and is still sticking out of the SFX form factor, then YES, You will have to reverse it or (like Linus suggested), maybe even remove it (remember to make those operations always while being disconnected from the power-source in the wall !!!).

As far as I know, they haven't flattened their grille yet on their SFX-L supplies yet, so a fun pre-build project for me. As for not being on the wall, I am well aware. Electrocution is not an experience I wish to repeat.

1 hour ago, divito said:

Interesting to see the final product and reviews later on. Though I'm not 100% convinced that 3L less volume (and thus more heat) are worth the potential $115 premium over something like a Node 202, or RVZ02 (5L less).

You can't really compare this to mass production products. Those manufacturers have their established production line/ partnership already of course they can cut the cost by a lot.

And itx enthusiasts will know, the satisfaction of eliminating wasted space in a case?

1 hour ago, ZombiPL said:

snip

In my case, I wish the case would arrive later lol.

I'd love to get the first batch, but I'm travelling and not back home until the end of February. But considering the campaign duration+production time+shipping, the timing seems to be perfect?

Yes Yes Yes

Couple questions, What is the first IndieGoGo Unit Number that will go out?

When the email says 12 hour early there is an email to remind us to preorder, You are saying that because IndieGoGo is all preorder, or is there a way to hop on 12 hours in advance?

<3

System

Don't Froget to Stay Happy

We're using indiegogo as a way of gathering orders so it is a pre-order, at least sort-of. We'll be sending reminder for you to not miss the campaign launch.

I don't get what you mean about the Unit Number? Do you mean number on the nameplate?

Thanks for the clarification and yes. I'm asking because if possible I want to try to time it right to get unit 42

5 hours ago, SaperPL said:

We're using indiegogo as a way of gathering orders so it is a pre-order, at least sort-of. We'll be sending reminder for you to not miss the campaign launch.

I don't get what you mean about the Unit Number? Do you mean number on the nameplate?

System

1 minute ago, Kevinclon said:

Thanks for the clarification and yes. I'm asking because if possible I want to try to time it right to get unit 42

I see what you did there

3 minutes ago, MRP0P1NFR3SH said:

I see what you did there

Well 1701 isn't gonna be an option

System

Also, will you be limited to one case if you back the campaign, or would you be able to get, say, two if you pledge a sufficient amount? I ask because not only do I intend to make my sister a PC to use going forward, I may have use of another small PC for myself.

4 hours ago, Kevinclon said:

I'm not sure If we'll be able to control things to the point where we give you that precise numbers in order of backing the campaign, but you can try :)

22 minutes ago, Jotunn said:

Also, will you be limited to one case if you back the campaign, or would you be able to get, say, two if you pledge a sufficient amount? I ask because not only do I intend to make my sister a PC to use going forward, I may have use of another small PC for myself.

Like we asked in the straw poll, there will be limited double packs, so you can aim for those to save up a bit on shipping of two units.  Apart from that I think there is some kind of limit on credit card side that will prevent doing multiple contributions.

2 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Like we asked in the straw poll, there will be limited double packs, so you can aim for those to save up a bit on shipping of two units.  Apart from that I think there is some kind of limit on credit card side that will prevent doing multiple contributions.

Sorry, must have missed the straw poll. But in any case, awesome. Thanks again for the help.

just saw the zotac gtx 1080 mini. they say its going to be 8.3 inches(210mm). Wondering if you still can squeeze in the hard drive tray next to it.

2 hours ago, nilaoba said:

just saw the zotac gtx 1080 mini. they say its going to be 8.3 inches(210mm). Wondering if you still can squeeze in the hard drive tray next to it.

While renders for this card may look like it has reference sized PCB, its actually oversized as 1070 mini making it impossible to fit inside Sentry with standard PEG connector. You can see how this card look irl in Luke's video.

If you're willing to mod your PEG connector to be low profile and angled, then fitting one of those two units should be possible. Squeezing drive tray next to it is possible, however you won't match it to its dedicated corresponding mounting holes in the GPU vent.

So... Linus dissed the Sentry once again:

...you also get flexibility, 'cause we've seen stuff like this from indie makers, like the Sentry Case, where it was like, "Yeah, we have this super slim chassis" - it was actually taller, and you couldn't put it on its side without compromising cooling.

I follow Linus faithfully, and I like a lot of what he does, but I couldn't disagree with him more on something like this. This is what he's lauding:

1) A case that's as gaudy as something that small can get, with off-angles cutouts that are supposed to look like a stealth fighter. (Oh, and of course, tacky lighting.)

2) A computer with an external power supply, meaning worse looking cable management and an absolute nightmare when it eventually dies or the cable breaks.

3) A proprietary CPU cooler that, well, comes out of a laptop and which is going to be noisy and hot.

4) A restriction on the length of graphics cards, limiting the user to so-called "mini" cards with significantly poorer cooling solutions. (They don't even support a 1070 yet.)

5) Laptop RAM.

6) Plastic and aluminium construction with tabs that will wear out over time, without question.

Linus, if you happen to read this... I'd like to know more about your motivations. I'd rather have the more subdued-looking Sentry, which runs cooler, supports a much more powerful GPU, and is easy to transport thanks to not having an external power brick. Thoughts?

12 hours ago, darksable said:

So... Linus dissed the Sentry once again:

If I weren't mistaken from the video, that looked like a proprietary motherboard to me too. Just look at the I/O you know that's not a standard itx. Come on Linus you must understand that's not a fair comparison. I can 100% transplant my current system into the sentry! That's the benefit of using standard sized components!