Sandisk 2TB Portable SSD for $999.99

EChondo

Article Source: http://betanews.com/2015/06/01/sandisk-announces-2tb-ssd-in-its-new-extreme-900-lineup/

Sandisk Source: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2015/sandisk-expands-into-the-external-storage-market-with-world’s-highest-performing-portable-ssd/

SanDisk-2TB.jpg

At the ongoing hardware Computex 2015 conference in Taiwan, SanDisk, a company well known for designing, manufacturing and selling storage devices, announces the availability of a bunch of new external flash drives. Among many other products, the company launches Extreme 900 Portable SSD which comes with a whopping 2TB storage space (1.92TB formatted size) priced at $999.99.

The Extreme 900 Portable SSD, which also comes in 480GB ($399.99) and 960GB ($599.99) storage options, comes cased in a compact aluminum body. The company notes that all of these SSDs have a maximum performance rating of 850 MBps -- which is about 9 times faster than a traditional portable hard drive. The SSDs also come equipped with a USB 3.1 interface with Type-A and Type-C cables supplied with the unit. SanDisk is providing three-year warranties on the new SSDs.

The company additionally announces Extreme 500 Portable SSD lineup which comes in 120GB ($99.99), 240GB ($149.99), and 480GB ($239.99) storage capacities. These SSDs have a maximum performance of 415 MBps via a USB 3.0 interface. They come with the company’s SecureAccess software which provides 128-bit AES encryption.

Now this is a nice surprise, 2TB for $999? A bit high, but 960GB for $599?! Now that is reasonable.

It will be truly amazing to see what capacity and price of SSD's will be in store next year, maybe 3TB or 4TB by then for $999? Guess we'll see!

Sandisk 900 series: http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/extreme-900-portable-ssd

Sandisk 500 series: http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/extreme-500-portable-ssd

Now this is a nice surprise, 2TB for $999? A bit high, but 960GB for $599?! Now that is reasonable.

.......................................................................are you being sarcastic or serious? because normally how new storage tech works is higher capacities cost more per gig, therefore the first 2tb ssd would be a much better deal. 

you can buy 1TB SSDs for $400

thats a lot less than $600

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Source: http://betanews.com/2015/06/01/sandisk-announces-2tb-ssd-in-its-new-extreme-900-lineup/

It will be truly amazing to see what capacity and price of SSD's will be in store next year, maybe 3TB or 4TB by then for $999? Guess we'll see!

... $999 for 2TB is less $ per GB than $599 for 960GB...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'd rather go for 500gb ssds with the current pricing, I can live with some stuff being on a hdd...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

.......................................................................are you being sarcastic or serious? because normally how new storage tech works is higher capacities cost more per gig, therefore the first 2tb ssd would be a much better deal. 

you can buy 1TB SSDs for $400

thats a lot less than $600

... $999 for 2TB is less $ per GB than $599 for 960GB...

Way to nitpick at my comment instead of talking about the topic!

the pricing is the only thing to really talk about with SSDS really since these are average speeds. 

the topic is SSD price and capacity

Do you have a problem with $400 1TB SSDs?

I think not.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the topic is SSD price and capacity

Do you have a problem with $400 1TB SSDs?

I think not.

No the topic is a 2TB SSD at a $999 price.

No the topic is a 2TB SSD at a $999 price.

So? You can get two 1TB SSDs for $800 so its not a big deal...

Spoiler

So? You can get two 1TB SSDs for $800 so its not a big deal...

didnt they say something about hard drive like priced ssds i hope these are not it

didnt they say something about hard drive like priced ssds i hope these are not it

thats going to take quite a few more years

Spoiler

Not sure the pricing on the 480 and 960, but the 2tb I'd say is a steal, given most 1tb's now are around $330 - $550, and most new ones are starting around $400, so -- I commend it. 

Sigh.

It's all in one portable solution, they will WLAYS carry some price premium over getting them on your own and have a DIY kit.

This isn't that bad, we are definitely making progress, it wasn't that long ago non portable 1TB ssd's were this price.

I think @Enderman instead of focusing on price how bout the fact they made a 2tb ssd with that high of a read write speed. Maybe not the most practical thing but cool none the less.

thats going to take quite a few more years

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

Well, SSD have certainly come down in price, but we can't expect the price for GB of HDD on SSD yet.

According to WIkipedia, SanDisk created a 20MB SSD in 1991 which sold for $1000 back then, which would be $1737 today.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.