Sony doesn't see the need for higher resolution phones

Since when is Sony the company with common sense.

Apparently they're slowly learning in all of their sectors. First Playstation now Mobile. Bravia will eventually get back to the highest standard for affordable prices so it would actually compete with other TVs instead of just looking overpriced? Or pushing the boat out too far?

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

Sony mobile gets it.

This thing on the other hand was dumb

<snip>

Hey it makes your music higher quality!  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Sony Peasents, go and play your PS4

#PCMASTERACE

i joke

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

This is dumb! If im going to spend $700+ on a phone and Sony only has 1080p compared to X phone with 4k im taking the 4k even if there is no perceivable difference at this point in time.

I agree, there is no need for it. Any res higher than that will only make things worse.

Got a phone with a 720p screen 5,5' and even that is enough for me.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Well I went from a moto g 2013 model to an LG G3, there is a lot of difference there, but thast 1440p form 720p.

I hate pointless spec races.*cough clock speed race, 4k on normal sized screens cough* it results hundreds of tonnes of wasted technology that is perfectly good simply because people dont understand when a spec is relevant or not.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Heyyo,

The only time meow that PPI matters is virtual reality... besides, for a VR device? You might as well get the Galaxy Note 4. It's a bigger screen to boot than the Galaxy S6... they only chose that 1440 resolution to please the crowd for the S6 to make up for the Galaxy S5.

That's also because the Galaxy S5 has a pretty piss poor rating for color temperature and accuracy where-as the Galaxy S6 has one of the best color temperature and accuracy of all smartphones around.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S5s-screen-is-far-from-the-best-heres-why_id56255

Compare the Galaxy S5 for the Nexus 5 and you can see how it gets spanked in that category... has nothing to do with pixels per inch dude. :P

As you can see? Galaxy S6 amazing screen, Nexus 5 another great screen... Galaxy S5 nowhere near as amazing... heck the budget OnePlus One has a better screen lol w00t! :)

by this chart you could also say g3 had a pretty good screen when in fact it was pretty damn bad.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I would love the extra battery life.

note 4 with 1440p screen has a better battery life than all 1080p phones. and the recent galaxy s6 with same 1440 res has a better battery life than the recent htc one m9(1080p)

sony phones have very good battery life and i don`t think going for higher res would affect that .

in my opinion sony should be on the bleeding edge,using all the latest and greatest if they want to take some marketshare from the koreans and the chinese

I'm going to go against most of you, by saying that I still can see the pixels on my OnePlus One (5.5" 1080p) if I look closely at it, for example while I'm in bed. For just normal use during the day (e.g. walking or sitting) 1080p is fine! But for looking very closely at it (e.g. in bed) 1440p would be appreciated, but definitely NOT needed.

And 4K (or 2160p) is not needed at all.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Anything over 400 PPI for smartphone use is fine by me imo. I think the S6 is nearing 600ppi? Useless. Do I still think it's the best screen on a smartphone? Yes, but not because of it's resolution. 

Personal Opinion: FINALLY SOME COMMON SENSE FROM THE SMARTPHONE INDUSTRY, THANK GOD IT WAS LONG OVERDUE.

Haven't you heard of Apple? When apple says this everyone loses their minds and literally goes psycho, but stick another manufacturers name and it's heaven

(Not specifically to the OP but everyone claiming sony's only sensible here)

Well, true, I have original Sony Xperia Z and 1080p on 5" is excellent!

But we will see 4K sooner or later, being it for VR or whatever. I can only see it being justified for VR and whatnot in future when also processing power and battery won't be an issue.

I've read somewhere that there aren't much difference in battery with larger res, it was mentioned depending on type of display etc and all.

Still it will be nice to see 4K smartphone but it will probably take some time after for newer ones to actually drive it with ease.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is dumb! If im going to spend $700+ on a phone and Sony only has 1080p compared to X phone with 4k im taking the 4k even if there is no perceivable difference at this point in time.

What would you rather have a 4K screen or higher quality audio with far superior DAC amps compared to other phones?

The Z3 has 2 DAC amps which cost around $73 a piece inside :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

note 4 with 1440p screen has a better battery life than all 1080p phones. and the recent galaxy s6 with same 1440 res has a better battery life than the recent htc one m9(1080p)

sony phones have very good battery life and i don`t think going for higher res would affect that .

in my opinion sony should be on the bleeding edge,using all the latest and greatest if they want to take some marketshare from the koreans and the chinese

The note 4 and the S6 use a new very efficient Exynos SoC manufactured on a FinFET process, which is where they save power. Furthermore, N4 is a tablet with an enormous battery.

One M9 is using a notoriously power hungry Snapdragon 810 SoC, plus a very inefficient panel, thats where its crap life comes from.

To me, the bleeding edge is more the fact that its waterproof (not resistant like most other so advertised phones), has a very good skin over the android, a superior audio experience, offers comparable performance and exellent battery life. I dont care if the pixels are 0.06mm or 0.04mm. That is simply irrelevant. What is relevant about the screen is its contrast ratio and accuracy. and sony has that.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

The note 4 and the S6 use a new very efficient Exynos SoC manufactured on a FinFET process, which is where they save power. Furthermore, N4 is a tablet with an enormous battery.

One M9 is using a notoriously power hungry Snapdragon 810 SoC, plus a very inefficient panel, thats where its crap life comes from.

To me, the bleeding edge is more the fact that its waterproof (not resistant like most other so advertised phones), has a very good skin over the android, a superior audio experience, offers comparable performance and exellent battery life. I dont care if the pixels are 0.06mm or 0.04mm. That is simply irrelevant. What is relevant about the screen is its contrast ratio and accuracy. and sony has that.

note 4 doesnt have the finfet soc,and it comes with exynos and qualcomm soc. qualcomm 805 . the same is found in the nexus 6.same battery also. and the note 4 outlast it

i know what the m9 uses and how stupid of a 'flagship' is,but that doesnt matter.s6 has a smaller battery,way better screen(not just res) and it still has the better battery life,despite the fact that the m9 is 1080p. so we are beyond that 'big res kills battery'

and the avg consumer WILL go for s6 over the sony z3,z4

e: and don`t think that i want that,but that just how it is. you aren`t on the bleeding edge then your flagship doesn`t sell. sony makes premium phones but staying with 1080p is just another set back for the costumers

Edited by s3ns3

The difference between the screen of a galaxy s5 and a galaxy s6 is noticable if you're about 6 inches from the phone screen. The galaxy s5 doesn't look as crisp. It's hard to notice, not unnoticeable.

For me it is personally noticeable between my OPO and a friend's G3 of 1080p vs 1440p at 5.5", but I'm much more annoyed by the boring colors on the G3 vs the OPO

"Rawr XD"

Note 4 uses the old Exynos 5 (or Snapdragon 805), not the new Exynos 7 in the S6/S6E

"Rawr XD"

-cut-

I guess the s5 screen wasn't as good, but even on a nexus 5, or HTC One, or a sony z3. You can see a difference. Especially next to something like an iPhone 6, its even more noticeable. 2560x1440 is alot more crisp at around 5 inches than 1080p, doesn't mean 1080p looks blurry, just stating that its not "unnoticeable under normal use" as most people say it is.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I still think 720p is the sweet spot and also it lets me have better battery life. There is nothing I do on phone that would make use of 1080p or higher resolution beside the "looks slightly better if you are really trying to spot the difference" factor.

Glad someone does.

I'm okay with handheld gaming tier resolutions for a phone. I'd rather have better battery life.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I think 1080p is all you need. 720p for me is perfect I can't tell the difference unless I look at my phone rally close up. I don't use my phone that much though other then ringing and texting. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

That's great to hear. Now if only more smartphone makers would follow... 

COMIC SANS

Respect to them for doing their own thing, I like that.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Good. I actually think they are 100% right. The focus should be on brightness, contrast, colour accuracy and others, rather than this pixel-contest that's been going on for years...