Sony doesn't see the need for higher resolution phones

As someone who went from a 1080p smartphone to a 1440p smartphone I can say I have to agree with them. I really didn't notice a big difference.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Damn mobile, double post ignore

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

"Human eyes can't see more than XXX PPI" is the new "humans can see more than 30 FPS"...

Did anyone actually read what Sony said by the way? They said they didn't think that it was worth the reduced battery life right now, but it will be in the future. They didn't say anything like "1080p is enough, we can't see more than that anyway". If they had more efficient displays and processors they would use 2560x1440 too.

From a technical aspect, increasing the pixel density does allow for the potential for greater detail in a smaller area. However, it only works if you actually perceive that increased detail - humans cannot.

Yes we can. You're flat out wrong in saying we can't.

Lol, everyone here is acting like Apple had not said this for several years now ...

Didn't Apple Say this exact same thing and get hated on for being cheap and overpriced?

No, Apple said the same thing about 1136x640 (which on their phones worked out to be 326 PPI). Sony is talking about having somewhere around 400 to 440 PPI.

Anything over 400 PPI for smartphone use is fine by me imo. I think the S6 is nearing 600ppi? Useless. Do I still think it's the best screen on a smartphone? Yes, but not because of it's resolution. 

The S6 is not anywhere near 600PPI. For red and blue the S6 has a PPI of 408, which is pretty much what Sony is enough with the 5.5" 1080p screen. The reason is because Samsung uses that stupid "diamond" subpixelmatrix and then only counts the green subpixels when advertising resolution.

In a lot of cases the S6 would be sharper if Samsung changed from 1440p diamond matrix to 1080p full RGB matrix.

What would you rather have a 4K screen or higher quality audio with far superior DAC amps compared to other phones?

The Z3 has 2 DAC amps which cost around $73 a piece inside :)

No it doesn't. The Z3 has 1 DAC and it's the NXP TFA9887. It seems to cost $2.46 when ordering from a third party. Probably cheaper when ordering straight from the manufacturer. Sadly you have to be an NXP customer to see the pricing when ordering straight from them.

No, Apple said the same thing about 1136x640 (which on their phones worked out to be 326 PPI). Sony is talking about having somewhere around 400 to 440 PPI.

For now. And 326 PPI is already a lot. Better brightness and contrast is worth a lot more than the neglectable difference between 326 and 400 PPI.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

For now. And 326 PPI is already a lot. Better brightness and contrast is worth a lot more than the neglectable difference between 326 and 400 PPI.

post-216-0-44873200-1433100611.gif

At least they don't use the crappy screens in their first few gen of Xperia Z phones.

Jeez, those were quite bad.

Back on topic :

I switched to an LG G3 from an S3. Definitely a noticeable difference. I can still notice a difference between 1080p displays as well. Doesn't mean it's a huge difference though...just a small one.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

What would you rather have a 4K screen or higher quality audio with far superior DAC amps compared to other phones?

The Z3 has 2 DAC amps which cost around $73 a piece inside :)

Very good point and i would probably take the dac over 4k screen, but this doesn't change the fact it's still a dumb business decision, they are catering for the minority by putting those dacs in and keeping a 1080p screen. The regular consumer isn't going to have the slightest bit of knowledge as to what type of dac is in each phone, what it does or how it sounds, but i bet you they and/or the sales person knows what 4k is. Not to mention i highly doubt going from 1080p to 4k is going to be a significant cost and it definitely will eventually be cheaper. I really don't understand why Sony said this because they know 4k will be cheaper, especially when more phone manufactures start switching to 4k and demand sky rockets, so now when they eventually cave people are going to be like wtf Sony i thought 1080p was good at 5.5" and there going to look like idiots.

No it doesn't. The Z3 has 1 DAC and it's the NXP TFA9887. It seems to cost $2.46 when ordering from a third party. Probably cheaper when ordering straight from the manufacturer. Sadly you have to be an NXP customer to see the pricing when ordering straight from them.

Actually it uses 2x TFA9890 DAC amps, this allows it to sample audio up to 96kHz;

Sony-Xperia-Z3-teardown.jpg

I meant $7.3 not $73 xD At least when I looked for the price that's what I found :S

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Actually it uses 2x TFA9890 DAC amps, this allows it to sample audio up to 96kHz;

<image>

I meant $7.3 not $73 xD At least when I looked for the price that's what I found :S

Ah now I see the second one. Sorry about that.

Hehe, $7.3 sounds a lot more believable, but still very expensive. It's really hard to find prices on things like this because the deals are secret, but I found a handful of stores selling it or similar components. 2-3 dollars seems pretty reasonable for it. When Sony orders in bulks of hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions they can probably get it down to like 2 dollars each.

Anyway we have gotten a bit off-topic. With the heafty profit margins phone manufacturers have I think they can afford to make both the screen and audio as good as they can.

I am not a fan of Sony but they are right on this one. They aren't getting caught up in the marketing nonsense however I think this is going to cost them tons of cash. Consumers in general aren't all that bright and fall for the marketing nonsense. 

It will in the short term but I think long term it won't be too bad since once people figure out the battery life is suffering for it and the cost is higher they will trend toward other phones.

Didn't Apple Say this exact same thing and get hated on for being cheap and overpriced?

There's many reason why Apple do not have higher resolution on their smaller devices (im excluding the 6+). Mainly because of their small battery and weak GPU. Put a 720P screen on the S6 and look at the battery life and all the native resolution GPU benchmark skyrocket through the roof.

There's many reason why Apple do not have higher resolution on their smaller devices (im excluding the 6+). Mainly because of their small battery and weak GPU. Put a 720P screen on the S6 and look at the battery life and all the native resolution GPU benchmark skyrocket through the roof.

Weak GPU? Umm...no. 

Small batteries? Either in line with industry average or better than some of their competitors. 

Apple could very well put a 1440p OLED panel, they won't. Its not how they do things. They'll reach the pinnacle of what each tech can do, THEN move on. Theres a reason the 6+ is rated as the best LCD Panel available. Apple has done its homework. The only thing left is to move onto OLED which is FINALLY viable outside of niche phones. 

I am all for more. If its a noticeable step up. If I take a S5 and S6, I can tell differences based on the OLED panel, but not the resolution. 1080p at 5-5.5 is still pretty nice. I will hands down take 1080p on a better panel with better battery life over 1440p on a similar sized screen, right now. Because we're not at the point where 1440p panels are crazy required or as efficient. Just like 720p replaced qHD and 1080p replaced 720p, we will get to a point where it just makes sense to have 1440p over 1080p. Is that right now? I'd argue no. Maybe another generation or two. Hell, we might see it go full bore this Fall. 

Sony sounds like a smart company :)

Their legendary K800i mobile phone was my all time favourite. Sexy loking with a great camera.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Sony sounds like a smart company :)

Their legendary K800i mobile phone was my all time favourite. Sexy looking with a great camera.

I had k700i, that rear camera was monstrously big :D and that tilting button in the middle became a pain after year or two :D

I currently have i9505 which has 5'' with 1080p res. My roommate has Saga S3 - 6'' with 720p and I can say that there is no need for higher resolution than 1080p for phones up to 6'' (Never had mobile device with bigger screen so I can't compare that.). Even with 720p the Saga S3 looks nice.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

I had k700i, that rear camera was monstrously big :D and that tilting button in the middle became a pain after year or two :D

Back in the day we could get key and case replacements. Now there's no customisation other than some skins and covers.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

• 3 months later...

and now theres a 4k sony phone

Nice necron buddy 10/10.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

and now theres a 4k sony phone

They just shit in their own mouth, oh God :D

Or maybe it's like LMG

"Do as we say, not as we do"

My laptop is 13" 1080p and I think it looks phenomenal. I'd take better battery life over barely distinguishable pixel sharpness any day. More battery life is actually meaningful and serves a practical purpose.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Rockin a 6 plus at the moment but also tried out the G4 for quite a while. The 1440p screen doesn't do anything to benefit user experience.