How are all these teenager getting gaming PC?

XxDeadpool67xX

SO when I was browsing on to PC Partpicker I see "1st build 13 years old" its like $1800 they say the saved most of the money? How in the world is that possible. Surprised how he didn't get a console.

SO when I was browsing on to PC Partpicker I see "1st build 13 years old" its like $1800 they say the saved most of the money? How in the world is that possible. Surprised how he didn't get a console.

For me it was a combination of being semi-spoiled and saving up. My dad was a gamer so he helped out with it. It was a $1200 build I think I put $400 forward and my dad did $800.

I got a hand-me-down monitor and my dad and I built the PC and that started my love of computers and PC building!

1. Parents
  2. Chores/Allowance
  3. Jobs (mowing lawns or moving stuff, things like that for other people)
  4. Theft

Most likely option 1 or 2.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

parents

how do you think kids get stuff? by working a 9-5 job? lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. Parents
  2. Jobs
  3. Chores/Allowance
  4. Theft

Most likely option 1 or 3.

1 and 3 are the same thing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I payed for 100% of my 1.7K build myself. I got a job and saved up over about a year.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

1. Parents
  2. Chores/Allowance
  3. Jobs
  4. Theft

Or option 4, lol.

I have a 12yr old cousin whose parents bought him everything, iphone, xbone, macbook. I never knew 12 yr olds needed phones.....

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I fixed it to clarify. :P chores and allowances are something involved with the parents, and the jobs part was a reference to things they do for other people for payment. And 1, parents, is when they just buy the computer parts or computers for them, not necessarily giving them the money through hardwork chores so they can buy it themselves. So I don't really think they are the same at all.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm 16 and paid for my rig (Cost about $1200 so far) by working with my grandpa installing air conditioners and furnaces, and my other job working for my school. (Took like the entire year to save up enough for the system without an ssd, 8gb less of ram than it has now, and no dedicated gpu, gpu was purchased in the beginning of this year, then the additional 8gb of ram and ssd was this week :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

parents

how do you think kids get stuff? by working a 9-5 job? lol

1. Parents
  2. Chores/Allowance
  3. Jobs (mowing lawns or moving stuff, things like that)
  4. Theft

For me it was a combination of being semi-spoiled and saving up. My dad was a gamer so he helped out with it. It was a $1200 build I think I put $400 forward and my dad did $800.

I got a hand-me-down monitor and my dad and I built the PC and that started my love of computers and PC building!

Some parents will blow money on crap for their kids.

I've seen someone use this excuse. If you spend $450 a year on birthday and christmas money and its 5 more years until I'm out of the house. Can you get me a $1800 PC and spend $90 a year surprsingly it worked not sure if it would work now a days.

My face was like 0.o

It's like how most other teenagers get consoles, except these teenagers are smart and get gaming PCs instead. They save their parents money in the long run after not having to buy a new console every few years, it has more functionality then a console, will be relavent much much longer, and gaming is an overall better experience. You could also ask how teenagers get consoles (Their parents buy it for them)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

I'm 16 and paid for my rig (Cost about $1200 so far) by working with my grandpa installing air conditioners and furnaces, and my other job working for my school. (Took like the entire year to save up enough for the system without an ssd, 8gb less of ram than it has now, and no dedicated gpu, gpu was purchased in the beginning of this year, then the additional 8gb of ram and ssd was this week :P)

I feel like its hard to get into pc gaming if your under 16

Well usually through the help of parents...or over time reselling things they got for you at a much younger age  :ph34r:

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I feel like its hard to get into pc gaming if your under 16

Depends on how powerful of a rig you want and how hard you're willing to work for it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well usually through the help of parents...or over time reselling things they got for you at a much younger age  :ph34r:

Lol so say I'll pay you back when I'm 30 

I bought PCs when I was that age. I never got crazy stuff I didn't need, but I bought quite a few things. PCs, parts, screens, consoles, games, stacks of drives.

Hell I used to have an array of like 80GB drives that I called "bulletproof" for my projects. 

Basically, it was about 240GB of storage data, mirrored 3 times. So 9 drives. My joke was no single from any direction could make me loose my data. Plus you know the striping made the sustains read/write speed pretty damn good. 

Made my own money, parents were poor as hell and neither were in any way computer literate. It's possible. But yea most are probably spoiled. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Depends on how powerful of a rig you want and how hard you're willing to work for it.

the only thing is that if your building like a $550 or $600 "console killer"  You might have to buy a monitor and mouse which is about and extra $150-$200 might increase if you don't have a keyboard

the only thing is that if your building like a $550 or $600 "console killer"  You might have to buy a monitor and mouse which is about and extra $150-$200 might increase if you don't have a keyboard

Well, to be fair you could get by with a TV and a $12 keyboard or mouse.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Well I am 13 and I'll tell you how I got my new gaming PC.

Atm, the PC we have is slow. No GPU, Intel core i5 2.80Ghz. My games run really slowly, and my parents basicly trashed the hard drive with videos of my brother and I in sports. There's literally only about 10gb left on a 1tb hardrive. The PC is 7years old, pre-made dell PC.

So I wanted to play Gta iv and lcpdfr mods and the graphics were automatically set to the lowest possible and there was still graphics problems. That was the last straw, I thought to myself, we need a new PC.

So I asked my parents about a new PC for gaming, and they would buy me some parts for it. I'm just gonna install another hard drive for them and they can put all the videos they want on it. It's a win-win for both, I get new PC, and they get more space, plus I won't be hogging the PC all day and night.

Well I am 13 and I'll tell you how I got my new gaming PC.

Atm, the PC we have is slow. No GPU, Intel core i5 2.80Ghz. My games run really slowly, and my parents basicly trashed the hard drive with videos of my brother and I in sports. There's literally only about 10gb left on a 1tb hardrive. The PC is 7years old, pre-made dell PC.

So I wanted to play Gta iv and lcpdfr mods and the graphics were automatically set to the lowest possible and there was still graphics problems. That was the last straw, I thought to myself, we need a new PC.

So I asked my parents about a new PC for gaming, and they would buy me some parts for it. I'm just gonna install another hard drive for them and they can put all the videos they want on it. It's a win-win for both, I get new PC, and they get more space, plus I won't be hogging the PC all day and night.

How much did they spend on it?

I'm 14, been working my butt off for over a month and I've just gotten to $200, chores everyday for like an hour atleast. Gonna try and get a job a this golf course, $150 every two weeks. It's hard for me.. My mom would put probably $300'towards it and it's lke $2,000 with one new monitor. Betime I finish the setup I'll probably be 15 or 16, the PC and new monitor will be mine before the year ends though.. Peripheals are a whole new story also. Around $4000 including everything I've estimated but like I said, slow and steady.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I'm 14, been working my butt off for over a month and I've just gotten to $200, chores everyday for like an hour atleast. Gonna try and get a job a this golf course, $150 every two weeks. It's hard for me.. My mom would put probably $300'towards it and it's lke $2,000 with one new monitor. Betime I finish the setup I'll probably be 15 or 16, the PC and new monitor will be mine before the year ends though.. Peripheals are a whole new story also. Around $4000 including everything I've estimated but like I said, slow and steady.

Maybe they bought them. I bought mine. :P

Well now I'm curious on what jobs they have if there buying it buy themselves. I mean some parents won't give allowances and don't see too many jobs that will hire kids under 16.  :P

Might I suggest computer repair? Thats one of the things I did at that age for money. If you charge 20 or 40$ for something that takes you 5-10 minutes and then letting it sit and load, it's easy cash. Especially if you fix it right. You don't want them back like the repair shop would, you want them to tell their friends who they went to. I have the benefit of one of the only repair shops that people knew of in the area being everything but a scam. I mean if you can't  solve the problem, rip their key and reinstall windows. It was easy money for me, and over time I became really good at repairing laptops as well. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch