GTX 980 sli on 630w?

Hi everybody! I have a question I'm curious on.

I have a high quality, gold rated 630w corsair powersupply.

With my 4K monitor, it seems more and more one GTX 980 isn't enough. I'm thinking about SLIing.

It would be nice if I didn't strictly -require- a new PSU though.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you everybody in advance for your input.

Network Administrator/Support Engineer with a desire to be creative. MCSA Server 2012 R2, A+, Network+, Project Professional certified.

GTX 980 | i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 Ram | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Samsung UHD 28" Monitor

I would not recommend that

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

It will work but you wont have room to OC and you will be pushing that PSU to its limits very hard. I would not recommend runing it for extended periods of time with that PSU.

It should work as a temporary solution though.

You should be able to run it off a 630watt psu.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I would say no, 700w would be fine, I think 630 is too close or not enough

There is only one way to find out.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

It will work but you wont have room to OC and you will be pushing that PSU to its limits very hard. I would not recommend runing it for extended periods of time with that PSU.

It should work as a temporary solution though.

I see. Would it make a difference if I told you I didn't have a mechanical HDD or a DVD drive?

Network Administrator/Support Engineer with a desire to be creative. MCSA Server 2012 R2, A+, Network+, Project Professional certified.

GTX 980 | i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 Ram | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Samsung UHD 28" Monitor

While you might have enough power(without overclocking CPU or GPU) I doubt that the PSU would have enough PCIe cables for it and even if it does having a bit more than you need never hurts.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I think it would work but I don't think its a good idea.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I see. Would it make a difference if I told you I didn't have a mechanical HDD or a DVD drive?

That wont help you much.

When gaming and you will run everything on stock you should take around 550W from wall and get occasional spikes to 600W. That said, it will work on stock and while gaming. But I would not run any benchmakrs with that PSU as it will put heavy load on your GPUs and you would easily go over 600W hiting the power limits very hard.

You can use that temporarily before you get new PSU though. The thing is also that your system may not boot when you put another GPU in your PC. It really depends on the quality of the PSU.

While it would be able to run at it's stock speed if you overclocked them then you would probably start to run into some problems and HDD only add about 15 watts of power so there is no real difference.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

one guy on the forum only had 666 wats with 2 290x

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

I you know for certain that you are getting the 2nd 980, you might as well just plop that baby in and see if it works. If not then you will know why...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Heyyo,

go to this site and punch in the parts for your PC

www.pcpartpicker.com

It should give you an estimated wattage. You'll want a MINIMUM of 10% above that since you never want your PSU to be at full load as it'll produce extra heat, not be power efficient and lower the life of the PSU.

For example? Here's my PC:

https://pcpartpicker.com/p/786NZL

653 Watts is my estimated power usage under load, so my minimum recommended PSU is 719 Watts. I went extra above that to never risk a power issue and give myself overclocking room if I really wanted it so I am using an 850 Watt 80+ Bronze PSU. You could spend extra for gold or platinum but they won't save you crazy amounts of money unless you keep the PSU for something like seven to ten years.

So yeah, I went extra so my PSU should only ever see about 70% load but that places me well within my safety blanket thus my 850 Watt 80+ Bronze PSU should live a happy long life. :)

Another thing to think about? If you buy a bigger PSU? In the future if you upgrade your PC to an even more power hungry build? It should still have room to grow. ;)

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

one guy on the forum only had 666 wats with 2 290x

His house is also on fire and in hell.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

His house is also on fire and in hell.

lol it dont care how hot this cards run i care about the wattage

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

Can you do it? Maybe.

Is it safe? No.

I recommend getting an EVGA if you are on budget, or a Be Quiet! if you still demand silence. Lepa is also quite big on the PSU's, but not too well known around the globe, look at reviews of them.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I have a high quality, gold rated 630w corsair powersupply.

With my 4K monitor, it seems more and more one GTX 980 isn't enough. I'm thinking about SLIing.

If it's actually a good quality PSU then it will be perfectly fine. Everyone just spitting out that it's not are wrong. Here's proof.

75_777_nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-vs-980-sli power.png

nvidia_gtx980_SLI_graphs_power.png

"Rawr XD"

If it's actually a good quality PSU then it will be perfectly fine. Everyone just spitting out that it's not are wrong. Here's proof.

That's pretty comforting!

As you can see, there's a bit of dissonance, a lot of people think one way and a lot the other.

The thing is taht it is REFERENCE 980, it is well known that aftermarket cards eat up more power. For example Gigabyte G1 gaming can take up to 50-70W more power than reference one.

are you high?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

There is only one way to find out.

Best comment today.

op I recommend 700w EVGA psu

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.