Microsoft backtracks on free Windows 10 update for pirates

Lord Sparklebottom

RndiCcO.png

People with pirated copies of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 will have to pay for a upgrade to Windows 10.

The confusion has revolved around Microsoft's offer to give free Windows 10 updates to people running Windows 7 and 8.1. In a statement last March, Windows chief Terry Myerson was reported to have said that the offer would extend to pirated copies, too. Microsoft quickly began issuing vague clarifications, while still implying that there would be a way to upgrade at no cost, even if pirates would be required to pay eventually. Now, we're finally getting a full clarification: there's no free upgrade at all. Pirates just have to pay.

Microsoft has stated that they will have "very attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers" for a upgrade to a legit copy of Windows, but these are not detailed in specifics and are expected to be shown of nearer the launch of Windows 10.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/15/8613591/windows-10-no-free-upgrade-for-pirates

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

True ha ha

A10 7850K (4.8GHZ) | Gtx 760 4GB | 16GB HyperX Fury White 2133mhz (OC) | A88XM-PLUS | Corsair CX 430 | Bit fenix Neos |

Well that's a shame. I bet the majority of people who pirated Windows 7 and 8 will simply pirated Windows 10 as well if they don't get a free upgrade.

I still don't understand what Microsoft's strategy is with Windows 10, but if they are giving away the upgrade for free to legitimate 7 and 8 users in order to avoid the same issue they had with XP (nobody upgrading) then they just missed a huge chance to convert pirate to legitimate users.

What backtrack? Microsoft NEVER said that Pirated copies of Windows will go legit. We went over this already, with proper facts on the matter.

The Verge reading compression sucks, and unwilling to correct themselves. And sadly, people take their news as facts, and it spreads to other news sites.

What backtrack? Microsoft NEVER said that Pirated copies of Windows will go legit. We went over this already, with proper facts on the mater.

The Verge reading compression sucks, and unwilling to correct themselves. And sadly, people take their news as facts, and spreads to other news sites.

MS Said that current cracked copies of Win7/8 could be upgraded to Win10 and would remain cracked. Now they're saying if you upgrade a cracked OS it won'y be cracked anymore.

Edit~ Their original statements:

Verge

"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10,"

"Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows,"

Going back and rereading that now makes me think they just meant you could upgrade to win10 but wouldn't be activated or cracked. They just wanted to confirm that you weren't SOL if you're a pirate.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Totally didn't see this happening.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

.......as if this would change anything?

Seriously, all I can do at this point is LEL at corporations like MS not getting why pirating is a thing.

CHARGE LESS, MAKE MORE SALES, EARN THE SAME AMOUNT....SERIOUSLY, ARE THEY THAT RETARDED?

Edit: OH, and stop geoblocking, stop releasing things here but not there based on some arbitrary date, and stop charging different prices (proportionately) in different countries, for stuff that is purchased online.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

MS Said that current cracked copies of Win7/8 could be upgraded to Win10 and would remain cracked. Now they're saying if you upgrade a cracked OS it won'y be cracked anymore.

Edit~ Their original statements:

Going back and rereading that now makes me think they just meant you could upgrade to win10 but wouldn't be activated or cracked. They just wanted to confirm that you weren't SOL if you're a pirate.

Nooo. you are not reading everything.

Microsoft states here, on their own statement, that Windows 10 on pirated copy of Windows 7/8 will remain non-genuine, and will have a watermark on the desktop. Please ignore The Verge poor reading comprehension.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/15/genuine-windows-and-windows-10/

When we can’t verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user. If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device. Non-Genuine Windows has a high risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions. Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner.

This is what Microsoft has always said as well.

All they said, previously, is that the download to Windows 10 will be available to all. They NEVER, at no point in time, said that the license of a pirated copy will turn genuine after upgrading. Some assumed to be, but no.

What backtrack? Microsoft NEVER said that Pirated copies of Windows will go legit. We went over this already, with proper facts on the mater.

The Verge reading compression sucks, and unwilling to correct themselves. And sadly, people take their news as facts, and spreads to other news sites.

^This. I can't believe people actually thought those with pirated windows will be able to upgrade to a legit W10 version for free. I know they will still be able to upgrade to W10 but it will remain as unregistered version with possible nice non-genuine mark on their desktop.

I do not believe that people are having the balls to be upset at this and calling it a shame. They are fucking pirates. They stole the software. You're gonna get upset that they don't get a free handout? 

Stop being cheap, spend 30 dollars on a valid key, show MS you actually stand by your words. I'm sure all the people who pirate Windows have a valid reason (hint: probably not). 

MS never promised pirates would get genuine status. They said they would get the same old "not activated" guilt messages. Kinda how it always works when you install windows and Windows can't activate itself. It says "not genuine" till you either enter a valid key or you call into the machine that spits out a valid key for you to enter. Plain and simple. So much SMH if you think this is a "bad" thing. Pirates don't deserve anything. You bloody pirated the damn OS, what do you want? Handouts for life and coddling support from MS? Oh wait, thats exactly what these people want... 

MS has a valid strategy in getting people onto Windows 10. Dangling the free carrot to 7 and 8 users will move people over to a modern OS, it will decrease the amount of support they need to provide to an older OS since it won't be as in use. Support is expensive and the less spread out you are, the better. THAT is their endgame for offering W10 for free. Their endgame is not to bend over for entitled pirates. 

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/15/pirated-windows-10/

windows10lead.png

Non geuine pcs now willl get more intrusive watermarks  

idk if this or news or not...but why is MS trying to hard.....hackers will just make these  non genuine pcs genuine ....as they did with every other version.....idk why ms is putting so much face, on this, especially when it will backfire on them, mostly  for people like luke who have to run un genuine , for testing, etc

idk if this or news or not...but why is MS trying to hard.....

*too hard.

Good. They should make the watermark bigger.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Good. They should make the watermark bigger.

and by doing so they accomplish what? 

Legitimate Pirates Remove it

people who buy it  get it removed

only people that get it, are @Slick, and people who have not yet activated, or pirated.....

its legitimately a waste of thier time and resources, instead of making the "free" os worth buying...

I'll just have to buy a new license for windows when I finally move to windows 10 so I don't have to deal with that shit, and hope that I don't have to buy it again if I reinstall windows at some point...

Not that big of a deal tho, cause I'll have a job by the time 10 comes out :P (I've gotten like 3 licenses for 7, all of which have become invalid..)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'll just have to buy a new license for windows when I finally move to windows 10 so I don't have to deal with that shit, and hope that I don't have to buy it again if I reinstall windows at some point...

Not that big of a deal tho, cause I'll have a job by the time 10 comes out :P (I've gotten like 3 licenses for 7, all of which have become invalid..)

Why would u keep spending money after you already bought it once?, Ms get thier shit right, this is wrong.

Why would u keep spending money after you already bought it once?, Ms get thier shit right, this is wrong.

Yeah, idk...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If someone's willing to pirate windows, they're willing to edit the registry or whatever is needed to get rid of the watermarks :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

.......as if this would change anything?

Seriously, all I can do at this point is LEL at corporations like MS not getting why pirating is a thing.

CHARGE LESS, MAKE MORE SALES, EARN THE SAME AMOUNT....SERIOUSLY, ARE THEY THAT RETARDED?

Edit: OH, and stop geoblocking, stop releasing things here but not there based on some arbitrary date, and stop charging different prices (proportionately) in different countries, for stuff that is purchased online.

No, the solution is that people need to stop being self-entitled assholes and pay for the damn software they want to use. Can't afford it? DON'T USE IT. Nobody is entitled to windows, if they want a free OS there's Linux available in 20 million variants.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

It'll probably be tied to a specific motherboard.

It'll probably be tied to a specific motherboard.

xD Sawp Boards

No, the solution is that people need to stop being self-entitled assholes and pay for the damn software they want to use. Can't afford it? DON'T USE IT. Nobody is entitled to windows, if they want a free OS there's Linux available in 20 million variants.

Very true, but how do you enforce it without ruining the internet for everyone else?

Simple answer: You can't.

People will ALWAYS steal, doesn't matter what laws you pass, or what enforcement techniques you develop, people will always seek to break the law. Not advocating their behavior, simply stating it as what it is, an unavoidable fact of life.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What do you mean, trying too hard? 

If MS wants to shame filthy thieves, by all means. Too cheap to spend a couple dozen dollars on a valid key? thats your problem for either being a cheap snob (who probably buys flagship GPUs) or for being an entitled prat who thinks software should be free.