Microsoft backtracks on free Windows 10 update for pirates

Lord Sparklebottom

I'm completely convinced that all the people who are raging against this are using a pirated version of windows. Just buy the damn copy and stop bitching. I honestly couldn't care less if you got your free ticket to Windows 10 especially since you didn't even bother buying Windows 7/8.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Pirates are pirates. The old pirates were criminals and were treated as criminals. 

But in places like China 3/4 of all software is pirated, so they won't get Windows 10. And China is a big place.

So maybe Microsoft could do this just one time. 

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

no i did not take economics, but even i understand that monoply changes things and the reason people pay is through lack of choice.......and given MS free upgrade and discounted offer to pirates or new licences, people are not paying or they wouldnt feel the need to discount it

piracy maybe wrong but stupid? nah. it has forced companies to change old and dated business models, and has benefited the consumer massively. it has taken power away from massive corporations and handed back to the consumer and guess what we still get the same, if not better quality goods we used to get, games have bigger budgets, moves push the envelope and there is more music around than ever before. we have more choice in how we consume our music and video content than ever before and i guarantee you services like spotify, last fm, netflix, hulu, amazon prime films, office 365 and others would not exist if it wasn't for piracy....and long may it continue!

Piracy started netflix? How. It was more to due with the fact that people weren't returning DVD's. Streaming just happened to be more convenient, and they wouldn't risk losing physical DVDs. Hulu had already been doing it with TV shows, and amazon just wanted a slice of the cake. Office 365? You have 99 dollars a year for subscription, but you also have the option to pay 130 for a lifetime license of 1 version. I don't understand where piracy took part in this, and I don't even understand why you would pirate office, there's so many free alternatives. Piracy is stupid.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Piracy started netflix? How. It was more to due with the fact that people weren't returning DVD's. Streaming just happened to be more convenient, and they wouldn't risk losing physical DVDs. Hulu had already been doing it with TV shows, and amazon just wanted a slice of the cake. Office 365? You have 99 dollars a year for subscription, but you also have the option to pay 130 for a lifetime license of 1 version. I don't understand where piracy took part in this, and I don't even understand why you would pirate office, there's so many free alternatives. Piracy is stupid.

what! netflix took off because people were not returning DVDs!

8173960.gif

thats a good one. 1 do you really think that movie and TV studios would allow a model like netflix to exist, would allow them to stream there content for such a low price if there was no piracy?...no chance why give up revenue when you dont have to, and that applies to music streaming too, itunes was born out of piracy in an attempt to make buying music easier than pirating it. without piracy people would have had no alternatives but to pay the asking price, so why would they give up revenue?

i pay £8 a month for my office...i get 5 licenses and each get 1TB of onedrive space. thats insane my mom and dad have 1 my sis a friend and me....for £8 a month. would never of happened without piracy. and those free alternatives are just not good enough for the average joe.

steam is another example. created to combat piracy.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

what! netflix took off because people were not returning DVDs!

8173960.gif

thats a good one. 1 do you really think that movie and TV studios would allow a model like netflix to exist, would allow them to stream there content for such a low price if there was no piracy?...no chance why give up revenue when you dont have to, and that applies to music streaming too, itunes was born out of piracy in an attempt to make buying music easier than pirating it. without piracy people would have had no alternatives but to pay the asking price, so why would they give up revenue?

i pay £8 a month for my office...i get 5 licenses and each get 1TB of onedrive space. thats insane my mom and dad have 1 my sis a friend and me....for £8 a month. would never of happened without piracy. and those free alternatives are just not good enough for the average joe.

steam is another example. created to combat piracy.

I'm now convinced that you're uninformed and don't have a grasp on basic economics.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I'm now convinced that you're uninformed and don't have a grasp on basic economics.

well im a m convinced that you run around in a tutu and want to be called flora, queen of the dust fairies.......wait, we are throwing baseless accusations and not backing them up aren't we?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Well that's a shame. I bet the majority of people who pirated Windows 7 and 8 will simply pirated Windows 10 as well if they don't get a free upgrade.

I still don't understand what Microsoft's strategy is with Windows 10, but if they are giving away the upgrade for free to legitimate 7 and 8 users in order to avoid the same issue they had with XP (nobody upgrading) then they just missed a huge chance to convert pirate to legitimate users.

would assume tighter drm/licensing  on windows 10

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

Seems like they havent thought it through at first or they lied.

They should hire me, i also sometimes say something and then when i think more about it i change my mind :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE