Microsoft backtracks on free Windows 10 update for pirates

Lord Sparklebottom

and by doing so they accomplish what? 

Legitimate Pirates Remove it

people who buy it  get it removed

only people that get it, are @Slick, and people who have not yet activated, or pirated.....

its legitimately a waste of thier time and resources, instead of making the "free" os worth buying...

Unactivated versions are not the same as not geniuine versions.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Didn't they say this months ago? It isn't news.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

What do you mean, trying too hard?

If MS wants to shame filthy thieves, by all means. Too cheap to spend a couple dozen dollars on a valid key? thats your problem for either being a cheap snob (who probably buys flagship GPUs) or for being an entitled prat who thinks software should be free.

You're missing the point that its a waste of effort, because the pirates would simply remove it themselves. The only people who actually end up having to desk with that are probably the ones who legitimately bought windows and lost the key or the people who bought OEM computers/laptops that bought new hard drives and having to install.

You're missing the point that its a waste of effort, because the pirates would simply remove it themselves. The only people who actually end up having to desk with that are probably the ones who legitimately bought windows and lost the key or the people who bought OEM computers/laptops that bought new hard drives and having to install.

I don't see this affecting OEM Desktops and Laptops. Since Windows 8, OEMs no longer ship the CD key on an ugly sticker they tape on your laptop/desktop. Instead, the CD key is applied directly to the motherboard's BIOS. Replacing your board gets you a new CD Key. (At least this is the case for OEMs like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc etc...). Reloading Windows 8 right now on those machine does not require CD keys as it detects the key on the motherboard during installation and activates the machine once it's connected on the internet.

:)

Very true, but how do you enforce it without ruining the internet for everyone else?

Simple answer: You can't.

People will ALWAYS steal, doesn't matter what laws you pass, or what enforcement techniques you develop, people will always seek to break the law. Not advocating their behavior, simply stating it as what it is, an unavoidable fact of life.

Yes, I know. As of right now there isn't much you can do about stealing software. That doesn't mean companies should appease pirates. They should think of new, more advanced ways to stop it, without ruining the experience for paying users. Which is probably a difficult task, but it's not impossible.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I don't see this affecting OEM Desktops and Laptops. Since Windows 8, OEMs no longer ship the CD key on an ugly sticker they tape on your laptop/desktop. Instead, the CD key is applied directly to the motherboard's BIOS. Replacing your board gets you a new CD Key. (At least this is the case for OEMs like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc etc...). Reloading Windows 8 right now on those machine does not require CD keys as it detects the key on the motherboard during installation and activates the machine once it's connected on the internet.

:)

I don't know about newer OEM, but for my hp computer I have a huge headache when I change the hard drive because window activation will keep on failing.

It's not as simple as you think to activate a pirated copy of windows.  Microsoft constantly patches various activators.

Moreover, there is a black market for windows install disks in some countries that use illegitimate keys.  That's why the non-genuine message pops up.  They don't care about telling pirates that they stole windows (If they did, they would do a lot more when a non-genuine copy of windows was found than black out the desktop and add a watermark.) it exists to let people who actually paid money for a fake key realize it and get a refund.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What do you mean, trying too hard? 

If MS wants to shame filthy thieves, by all means. Too cheap to spend a couple dozen dollars on a valid key? thats your problem for either being a cheap snob (who probably buys flagship GPUs) or for being an entitled prat who thinks software should be free. 

*looks at price for 295x2* Nice price! I'll buy it!

*looks at price for GTA:5 on PC* Wow, totally not buying that shit. Olllld gameeee lelelel *downloads torrent and crack*

*looks at price for Windows 10* def not buying that w000w M$ get ur shit together *downloads torrent and crack*

I do not believe that people are having the balls to be upset at this and calling it a shame. They are fucking pirates. They stole the software. You're gonna get upset that they don't get a free handout? 

Stop being cheap, spend 30 dollars on a valid key, show MS you actually stand by your words. I'm sure all the people who pirate Windows have a valid reason (hint: probably not). 

MS never promised pirates would get genuine status. They said they would get the same old "not activated" guilt messages. Kinda how it always works when you install windows and Windows can't activate itself. It says "not genuine" till you either enter a valid key or you call into the machine that spits out a valid key for you to enter. Plain and simple. So much SMH if you think this is a "bad" thing. Pirates don't deserve anything. You bloody pirated the damn OS, what do you want? Handouts for life and coddling support from MS? Oh wait, thats exactly what these people want... 

MS has a valid strategy in getting people onto Windows 10. Dangling the free carrot to 7 and 8 users will move people over to a modern OS, it will decrease the amount of support they need to provide to an older OS since it won't be as in use. Support is expensive and the less spread out you are, the better. THAT is their endgame for offering W10 for free. Their endgame is not to bend over for entitled pirates. 

"Stole the software"... That made me laugh more than it should have. I do agree on everything else you said though :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

should mention..theres no permenant crack/activator for windows 8...like there is for windows 7

all the windows 8 activators are is  KMS servers ...not a proper activator

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Lets face it who is not rich and buys windows pro at full price of 150-200$? must be retarded.Windows license should cost like 15$ for home and 30$ for pro or scrap version altogheter and have only 1 for desktop and 1 more expensive for server like 20$ desktop 100$ server license with extra features.

Easy,simple,affordable,upgradable and so on,also they dont offer online purchase in Romania for example i have to buy DVD(i dont even have dvd reader anymore lel) which is much more expensive+ shipping.

Their efforts are pointless,people will never pay that ridiculous price.Especially those buying cheap laptops or cheap desktops, around 300-400$  would be crazy enough to pay 100$+ for broken windows lel,just because linux sucks rats ass.

Payed 40$ for my win8 license i hope it was legit since its not from MS website or dvd,it does activate online and phone tough,else piracy will become my friend again.

I hate cracks tough i really do,much spyware/malware.

Lets face it who is not rich and buys windows pro at full price of 150-200$? must be retarded.Windows license should cost like 15$ for home and 30$ for pro or scrap version altogheter and have only 1 for desktop and 1 more expensive for server like 20$ desktop 100$ server license with extra features.

Easy,simple,affordable,upgradable and so on,also they dont offer online purchase in Romania for example i have to buy DVD(i dont even have dvd reader anymore lel) which is much more expensive+ shipping.

Their efforts are pointless,people will never pay that ridiculous price.Especially those buying cheap laptops or cheap desktops, around 300-400$  would be crazy enough to pay 100$+ for broken windows lel,just because linux sucks rats ass.

Payed 40$ for my win8 license i hope it was legit since its not from MS website or dvd,it does activate online and phone tough,else piracy will become my friend again.

Right. A super duper complex peace of software, with continuous support well over 5 years, with bugs fixed and security fixes, should cost 15$.

But game which is like coding a basic calculator compared to an Operating System, should cost 60$, with day 1 DLC and season pass, full of bugs, no support after release unless a patch is absolutely needed as it affects sales, and even then, it is only 1, and things are far from being optimizes.

Riiiiight. Makes sense to me. [/extreme sarcasm]

First of all, Windows 8 non-Pro full version is like 120$. Second of all, nearly everyone here buys Windows, and have no problem cashing out the money for this peace of software. Third, Linux based OS don't suck. That is not the reason why aren't switching. And Android (based on Linus) is running on most people phones, probably yours too.

100 dollar for a software you'll use for years, and get support for 5+ years is expensive? You're either extremely poor, and shouldn't be worrying about using your computer, or just stupid. And it's not even 150-200 dollars. You can buy a basic windows for 75-100 depending on how the retailers want to sell it, and then another 30 bucks if you want pro.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Ok so now they are going to pirate windows 10... Because they aren't going to pay for it. :P

meh depends on the price i will buy windows 10 if its much cheaper.....ill probably get it if it isnt

should mention..theres no permenant crack/activator for windows 8...like there is for windows 7

all the windows 8 activators are is  KMS servers ...not a proper activator

KMS works very well ....from what i have been told

Right. A super duper complex peace of software, with continuous support well over 5 years, with bugs fixed and security fixes, should cost 15$.

But game which is like coding a basic calculator compared to an Operating System, should cost 60$, with day 1 DLC and season pass, full of bugs, no support after release unless a patch is absolutely needed as it affects sales, and even then, it is only 1, and things are far from being optimizes.

Riiiiight. Makes sense to me. [/extreme sarcasm]

First of all, Windows 8 non-Pro full version is like 120$. Second of all, nearly everyone here buys Windows, and have no problem cashing out the money for this peace of software. Third, Linux based OS don't suck. That is not the reason why aren't switching. And Android (based on Linus) is running on most people phones, probably yours too.

100 dollar for a software you'll use for years, and get support for 5+ years is expensive? You're either extremely poor, and shouldn't be worrying about using your computer, or just stupid. And it's not even 150-200 dollars. You can buy a basic windows for 75-100 depending on how the retailers want to sell it, and then another 30 bucks if you want pro.

why the hell should i pay £80-£100 for an OS when others are available for free?  seriously, even mac is freaking cheaper. £30 for osx then free updates, MS needs to catch up.  the fact is windows is only as much as it is because there was little to no competition, piracy has forced companies to rethink there business models and given the power back to the consumer, where it should be. its not the best solution but without it we would still be paying £15 for an album, £20+ for a blu ray, £60+ for games, streaming services wouldn't exist, and windows would be £200+....  

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

meh depends on the price i will buy windows 10 if its much cheaper.....ill probably get it if it isnt

KMS works very well ....from what i have been told

why the hell should i pay £80-£100 for an OS when others are available for free?  seriously, even mac is freaking cheaper. £30 for osx then free updates, MS needs to catch up.  the fact is windows is only as much as it is because there was little to no competition, piracy has forced companies to rethink there business models and given the power back to the consumer, where it should be. its not the best solution but without it we would still be paying £15 for an album, £20+ for a blu ray, £60+ for games, streaming services wouldn't exist, and windows would be £200+....  

Because a ton of time and effort was put into making that OS, its as simple as that.

Just because others can be free doesn't mean that all of them have to be free, and its entirely the creator and owner of the code to make it free or not. Thats why you should pay if you want to use windows simple as that.

Why the hell should I pay for anything when I can get free/vastly cheaper alternatives, heres a nice 1999 BMW 3 series for $8000 ..why the hell wouldn't I take that over a BMW straight from a new dealer thats going to be many times the cost. Hell forget used I can get a Hyundai and Kia for less then $10 grand! why in the name of hell would I spend 2, 3, 4 ,5+ times that for a car.

Oh I dunno many reasons

Oh look at this, you can get a rib sandwich at McDs  for $4, what sucker is going to go and buy ribs from the store or restaurant at many times the cost. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Because a ton of time and effort was put into making that OS, its as simple as that.

Just because others can be free doesn't mean that all of them have to be free, and its entirely the creator and owner of the code to make it free or not. Thats why you should pay if you want to use windows simple as that.

i think some one needs a lesson in economics......because what you said there is all bullshit.  time and effort mean jack shit in regards to price and what others charge are the cornerstone of value.....its the joy of a free market, the creator dosnt set the price the consumer does, if they dont want to pay the creators price, they wont and the creator has to lower the price or go broke simple as....consumers have showed that they dont want to pay the price through piracy and now MS has to drop the price....deal with it because there is jack shit you can do about it

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

i think some one needs a lesson in economics......because what you said there is all bullshit.  time and effort mean jack shit in regards to price and what others charge are the cornerstone of value.....its the joy of a free market, the creator dosnt set the price the consumer does, if they dont want to pay the creators price, they wont and the creator has to lower the price or go broke simple as....consumers have showed that they dont want to pay the price through piracy and now MS has to drop the price....deal with it because there is jack shit you can do about it

Well clearly people do want to pay for it since windows isnt free.

And being that microsoft can't pay their employees and bills in kind words if they want to be making money...which I imagine they do since they are a company they are going to have to charge for things.

And as I said its MSs right to charge whatever they damn well please for their OS.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Well clearly people do want to pay for it since windows isnt free.

And being that microsoft can't pay their employees and bills in kind words if they want to be making money...which I imagine they do since they are a company they are going to have to charge for things.

And as I said its MSs right to charge whatever they damn well please for their OS.

clearly people dont want to pay otherwise piracy wouldn't be so rife.....i couldn't give 2 shiny shits what or how MS pays there employees...thats not my problem thats theirs. you are right MS can charge what they like......and we can not pay it and pirate it and there aint a damn thing they can do about it.....god i love the internet.

clearly people dont want to pay otherwise piracy wouldn't be so rife.....i couldn't give 2 shiny shits what or how MS pays there employees...thats not my problem thats theirs. you are right MS can charge what they like......and we can not pay it and pirate it and there aint a damn thing they can do about it.....god i love the internet.

You know what? I don't think the GTX Titan X and 5960x is worth 1000 dollars. I think I'll just go steal one. Maybe then Nvidia and INtel  will realize that their prices are bullshit and need to be lowered.

/sarcasm

That's not how this works. Yes in free markets consumers set the price, and consumers do pay. That's why windows has always been 100 dollars. Did you take economics? Overpriced things don't sell. And thinking something is expensive doesn't make it overpriced. Yes linux is free, but you don't have any support, its a community backed OS, and it lacks functionality that windows has. And on apple, its 30 dollars to upgrade, but you're paying alot more for the actual OS at the beginning. You just don't know it. And it's not like apple makes a "new OS" and then charges 30 bucks for it, they add 2-3 features, and some background improvements to their current OS and says its a new OS. Microsoft calls those service packs. And Windows 8 to windows 8.1 was free. Windows 10 is going to be free for already consumers who already paid. Piracy is stupid, people who support piracy are idiots. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but don't steal it. That doesn't solve anything. You're just being a self-entitled asshole.

Well, I am not retarded and I buy software. I bought Windows 8.0 on October 28th, 2012 (launch day) for discount price of $40. Its now May 2015 and I'm on 8.1 at no additional cost so I'd say I've gotten my money's worth there.

I even pay for subscription software (I promise I'm still not retarded). Office 365 Home for $99/year. Adobe CC $11/month (Photoshop and Lightroom only)

The only people who think software is too expensive are people that are 1) unemployed and want handouts 2) haven't held a job so they don't understand the value of work 3) think minimum wage is supposed to be able afford them anything they want 4) are suffering from entitlement issues.

I'm not even rich either. I make an entry-level salary in IT, $30,000/year, as this is still my first year in the field professionally. I live on my own and every bill and expense I have I pay myself (around $1000/month total expenses). Just be smart with money, manage it well, live frugal, and you'll be able to afford a lot more things.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

You know what? I don't think the GTX Titan X and 5960x is worth 1000 dollars. I think I'll just go steal one. Maybe then Nvidia and INtel  will realize that their prices are bullshit and need to be lowered.

/sarcasm

That's not how this works. Yes in free markets consumers set the price, and consumers do pay. That's why windows has always been 100 dollars. Did you take economics? Overpriced things don't sell. And thinking something is expensive doesn't make it overpriced. Yes linux is free, but you don't have any support, its a community backed OS, and it lacks functionality that windows has. And on apple, its 30 dollars to upgrade, but you're paying alot more for the actual OS at the beginning. You just don't know it. And it's not like apple makes a "new OS" and then charges 30 bucks for it, they add 2-3 features, and some background improvements to their current OS and says its a new OS. Microsoft calls those service packs. And Windows 8 to windows 8.1 was free. Windows 10 is going to be free for already consumers who already paid. Piracy is stupid, people who support piracy are idiots. If you don't like it, don't buy it, but don't steal it. That doesn't solve anything. You're just being a self-entitled asshole.

no i did not take economics, but even i understand that monoply changes things and the reason people pay is through lack of choice.......and given MS free upgrade and discounted offer to pirates or new licences, people are not paying or they wouldnt feel the need to discount it

piracy maybe wrong but stupid? nah. it has forced companies to change old and dated business models, and has benefited the consumer massively. it has taken power away from massive corporations and handed back to the consumer and guess what we still get the same, if not better quality goods we used to get, games have bigger budgets, moves push the envelope and there is more music around than ever before. we have more choice in how we consume our music and video content than ever before and i guarantee you services like spotify, last fm, netflix, hulu, amazon prime films, office 365 and others would not exist if it wasn't for piracy....and long may it continue!

I got windows 8 pro for £25 when it was on offer for an upgrade key, just did an upgrade fresh install from my pirated Windows 7.

This was back when I had a 1055t and a GTX460, I'd pay £100 anyday for an OS now.

*too hard.

*so hard

= contextually correct

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.