Some SSDs Can Lose Data After Just A Few Days In Storage

Sources:

I really don't know much about SSD since I haven't been able to use one. But, I am considering on buying one for my next upgrade. So do you think it would be a big issue? I was planning on just buying the SSD for the OS only and other files would go to an HDD. 

Yes it is always better to use the SSD for your OS because it will speed things up a lot especially boot up times.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Until the tech improves more and gets cheaper always store things on an HDD and only put things in an SSD you want to load fast.

But, I am considering on buying one for my next upgrade. So do you think it would be a big issue? I was planning on just buying the SSD for the OS only and other files would go to an HDD. 

If you're concerned about it losing the data, dont get worried. As said, it only matters when it goes up in temperature, such as in server rooms and such. Unless you're planning to cram 50 SSDs into your PC case without decent *cooling*, or stick your SSD onto your CPU radiator, you don't need to matter about it losing data. 

TL;DR : Go for it.

EDIT: added the word cooling

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

I can't say im worried about 2 years in cold storage. Or 6 months for the conditions they would be in.

Edit : well this dies lessen the chances of a successful boot from a old closet pc.

I have an SSD for external backup I only use when working on PC's. I've let it go months without any issues. 

I only store programs on SSDs, all my files are on normal drives

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's just a clickbait article from gizmodo citing a Seagate spokesperson worried that they'll lose their business. Instead of, you know, innovating, they're bad mouthing competing technology. Typical marketing, nothing to see here.

If you're concerned about it losing the data, dont get worried. As said, it only matters when it goes up in temperature, such as in server rooms and such. Unless you're planning to cram 50 SSDs into your PC case without decent, or stick your SSD onto your CPU radiator, you don't need to matter about it losing data. 

TL;DR : Go for it.

So it's no issue in normal ambient room temps (around 20-25 C)?

The nand used in ssd are quite similar to that of flash drives which are very reliable and work fine even after years of not using them.

It's just a clickbait article from gizmodo citing a Seagate spokesperson worried that they'll lose their business. Instead of, you know, innovating, they're bad mouthing competing technology. Typical marketing, nothing to see here.

I can agree with you on this. Forbes put up an artical in Dec. showing how Seagate/WD has been left behind and now must play catchup.

So it's no issue in normal ambient room temps (around 20-25 C)?

There *should* be no problem. As long under normal usage. You cant expect people to "sell stuff that breaks under normal usage" don't you. :P

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

didn't just Linus put 24 something enterprise SSDs into the new server?!  :lol:

I just hope we will see more durable SSDs in near future that won't suffer from write cycles and power "drain" at all. RAM would be a good comparison though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I just hope we will see more durable SSDs in near future that won't suffer from write cycles and power "drain" at all. RAM would be a good comparison though.

they are already more durable than consumer drives and whats with the sudden increase in akame gifs

IBT have just posted it too with a slightly different slant reinforcing that businesses have a legal obligation to keep logs safe and SSDs aren't suitable... I'm really not buying it having left both SLC and MLC SSDs in very variable storage locations for well over a year without any data issues

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ssds-lose-data-if-left-without-power-just-7-days-1500402

I'm on a horse...

Gaming Rig | Storage Server | Virtual Server | HTPC

Until the tech improves more and gets cheaper always store things on an HDD and only put things in an SSD you want to load fast.

ok this is talking about storing data like putting data onto the drive and cutting the power to it. MOST cases will have the drive constantly running and have very little downtime. Maintenance does not leave these things down for more than an hour at most and SSD's arent even being looked at for backups so why not put all the data onto these drives and backup like any sane person would? By backup I mean of course to a storage type that is durable and made to be left powered down for x amount of time until the backup is needed. 

Sources:

I really don't know much about SSD since I haven't been able to use one. But, I am considering on buying one for my next upgrade. So do you think it would be a big issue? I was planning on just buying the SSD for the OS only and other files would go to an HDD. 

for news articles please include a quote of information from the original text that highlights what is being talked about. the personal opion is a good touch and makes for good conversation. the link sources is excellent as well. maybe also add a picture of an ssd cause pictures are awesome. great news post. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

You didn't mention that this applies to extreme temperatures WITH THE POWER OFF. Completely different set of conditions. Powered SSDs will retain information for a long ass time AND unless you're a complete moron you will be doing off site backups to tape drives (in server scenarios) and HDDs in SMB scenarios. Hell, I know a fair chunk of small businesses that run tape backups. Cheap and reliable for archival purposes. 

Not many will rely on SSD or HDD for long term storage anyways. Can it be done? Absolutely. Is it the most secure? Nope. Nor is it the most reliable. Tape FTW for a long time in that segment. 

for news articles please include a quote of information from the original text that highlights what is being talked about. the personal opion is a good touch and makes for good conversation. the link sources is excellent as well. maybe also add a picture of an ssd cause pictures are awesome. great news post. 

Thanks for the feedback I will be taking it into account on my next post ;) . I don't wanna sound like I am very knowledgeable(since I am not) so I did not include any personal opinions on the topic. 

P.S. I know I should've followed what the pinned post in this sub forum said but, I don't know where to start  :wacko:   :unsure:   sorry will try my best to improve my posts next time.  :mellow:

It's interesting that higher temperatures are better for an active SSD.

they are already more durable than consumer drives and whats with the sudden increase in akame gifs

Yeah, I know they're more durable than HDDs just would be awesome to know they don't have number of cycles and potential power issues.

I was first with Akame :P people messeged me about it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think it needs more clarification on what would be a consumer class SSD and wwhat would be an enterprise class SSD, as we have some high-end consumer SSDs that claim to be "enterprise class for consumers".

Yes intel 730, i'm looking specially at you!

I think it needs more clarification on what would be a consumer class SSD and wwhat would be an enterprise class SSD, as we have some high-end consumer SSDs that claim to be "enterprise class for consumers".

Yes intel 730, i'm looking specially at you!

Kingston has a nice writeup on what constitutes enterprise and consumer (interestingly consumer ssd last longer with power off)

It basically boils down to the type of nand used.

TLC - 3 bits per cell - cheap to make larger sizes- low endurance (write erase cycles) - consumer grade

MLC - 2 bits per cell - little more $$ to make larger sizes - medium endurance (allows for more cycles on each cell before failure) - enthusiast consumer grade

e-MLC - 2 bits per cell - special selection of MLC chips (binning) - medium high - consumer/enterprise

SLC - 1 bit per cell - very costly to make larger sizes - High endurance (highest amount of cycles before cell failure) - enterprise level

ok this is talking about storing data like putting data onto the drive and cutting the power to it. MOST cases will have the drive constantly running and have very little downtime. Maintenance does not leave these things down for more than an hour at most and SSD's arent even being looked at for backups so why not put all the data onto these drives and backup like any sane person would? By backup I mean of course to a storage type that is durable and made to be left powered down for x amount of time until the backup is needed.

I know, I tried to get everything out but I'm on my phone and at work so I had to be brief. For anything storage wise, even in a system it's better to go with HDD's unless you have the money to blow on as many SSD's as you want. Then just go crazy. Though I've had my PC off for hours with the SSD unplugged for a complete teardown of the case, cleaning, moving, and reassembly over several hours and didn't have any data loss. I never have heard of data loss from being unplugged but I suppose it could happen. I was just trying to say that in general, HDD's for storage, SSD's for programs and things you want to run fast and don't care about losing.