Some SSDs Can Lose Data After Just A Few Days In Storage

This study was done by Seagate, who make Hard drives. No surprise. They are kinda shooting themselves in the foot with this fear mongering because they also make SSHD's (Solid State Hybrid Drives).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I can agree with you on this. Forbes put up an artical in Dec. showing how Seagate/WD has been left behind and now must play catchup.

Wd does have ssd but they never bother to promote it. Its not the wd black 2.

Seagate has none

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This study was done by Seagate, who make Hard drives. No surprise. They are kinda shooting themselves in the foot with this fear mongering because they also make SSHD's (Solid State Hybrid Drives).

It says "material submitted by Intel" on that specific page.

Right now Seagate are all enterprise level SSD.

Didn't see those.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

maybe Linus should see this and not leave SSDs on the stairs

starving kids could of eaten those ssds

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

didn't just Linus put 24 something enterprise SSDs into the new server?!  :lol:

Except every single day they will be constantly used. So this shouldn't affect them at all really. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Except every single day they will be constantly used. So this shouldn't affect them at all really. 

he has a spare, he should fill it with data and store it somewhere

then, at intervals, check the data integrity - with checksum or similar

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I tried to get everything out but I'm on my phone and at work so I had to be brief. For anything storage wise, even in a system it's better to go with HDD's unless you have the money to blow on as many SSD's as you want. Then just go crazy. Though I've had my PC off for hours with the SSD unplugged for a complete teardown of the case, cleaning, moving, and reassembly over several hours and didn't have any data loss. I never have heard of data loss from being unplugged but I suppose it could happen. I was just trying to say that in general, HDD's for storage, SSD's for programs and things you want to run fast and don't care about losing.

Oh ok, I understand now. Yeah I agree with that, Its like a USB to me, SSD's. If I lost it would I die? lol and with the HDD's even then I've got backups of my backups backups backups just becuase I screw witht things too much. Also sorry for the late reply... like really late reply. I got locked out of my steam which I use to login here.

Oh ok, I understand now. Yeah I agree with that, Its like a USB to me, SSD's. If I lost it would I die? lol and with the HDD's even then I've got backups of my backups backups backups just becuase I screw witht things too much. Also sorry for the late reply... like really late reply. I got locked out of my steam which I use to login here.

It's all good. Yea I keep my SSD as mainly my OS drive for now. I have an external 1TB drive I use to backup everything I want to keep. After my OS kinda ate itself (I had an external drive that was my old laptop's HDD and another of my HDD's was the one I used before I switched to SSD... turns out using drives that are marked as system drives is a no no unless you're going to reformat them...) and my main HDD lost the file table so all of my stuff was just floating around the disk I found it necessary after I found a program that brought my files back in their respective directories. No good having 1TB worth of crap floating around out of context in one huge folder. ^_^;

Also having a separate drive for the OS (and things like your browser, Steam (keeping the library elsewhere) skype and basically anything easily re-downloadable and replaceable) is really convenient. Being able to reinstall your OS or do a clean install to a newer one without loosing anything or going through a slow process of burning it all to a disc as we used to do (or to floppies as it were in the days before hehe) and then transferring the data back after is just amazing. It's what i'm going to do when Windows 10 releases.