off topic-- Turbo diesel questions

adamsjus1

I assume you mean MPG (miles per gallon)? Most European diesels do about 50+ MPG. That's pretty terrible yo.

Not terrible at all for a giant 7.3L deisel work truck engine that weighs a few tons. :P

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Well yeah, but that's because we try to get 150bph out of a 1.4L. (new seat)

we do :D cos we are awesome we get 5x more power and like 5x the fuel efficiency 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You just don't get that here

You do. BMW 3L turbo-diesels run up to 1 million KM. Turbos do need restoring though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You do. BMW 3L turbo-diesels run up to 1 million KM. Turbos do need restoring though.

Some cars might, I just mean its rare to see people buying and running cars with 250k let alone 500k on the clock (I am talking miles here not KM)

I wouldnt buy a car with more than 70 or 80k , bought my audi when it had 60k

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not terrible at all for a giant 7.3L deisel work truck engine that weighs a few tons. :P

It is terrible. Vans that weigh a few tons do up to 40MPG in europe. http://www.silberauto.com/files/Tootekataloogid/New_Sprinter_Van_eng_2013.pdf

Or an old mercedes 300 flat diesel. 

Yea, but that is the key thing, old.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The 7.3L was a pretty bullet proof engine if you treat it right you can get a loooooooot of miles on it.

7.3L my god, as a European that makes me cringe.

Uh huh...

210k is nothing for a diesel, especially a 1993!!

I've seen quite a few that are in the 600k range on stock internals.

210k is a lot, I wouldn't even look at  a car that had done like 90 or 100k, then again UK journeys are shorter and the cars are more highly tuned

I assume lazy US engines are more reliable

210k on these is literally nothing. They can last a stupid amount of miles.

It is terrible. Vans that weigh a few tons do up to 40MPG in europe. http://www.silberauto.com/files/Tootekataloogid/New_Sprinter_Van_eng_2013.pdf

Yea, but that is the key thing, old.  :lol:

Well that's reasomable, considering it's a smaller engine and newer tech. I also imagine that efficiency is a higher priority in Europe than it is in the USA.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Well that's reasomable, considering it's a smaller engine and newer tech. I also imagine that efficiency is a higher priority in Europe than it is in the USA.

Yep. Fuel efficiency benefits everyone so...

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/02/12/paris-to-ban-all-old-cars-from-city-limits-starting-next-year/

Spoiler

There was a similar program here once, where they'd give you up to $4,500 (I think) on a new car if you traded in your old one.

That's a pile of shit. I would be pissed if I couldnt drive my car in the city anymore.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

210k is nothing for a diesel, especially a 1993!!

at 55 mph that is 159 days of running not to mention oil changes i argree but be aware it may be a abused engine for it being such a huge wonderful engine I<3 7.3 and 6.9

1.21 gigswuts bruh.

Be careful of the insight here. The '93 ford 7.3L is not a ford engine, its an international Harvester engine that was put in ford pickups until 1994. So people talking about their good luck with later models have a different engine all together. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_IDI

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That's a pile of shit. I would be pissed if I couldnt drive my car in the city anymore.

Buy a car that is not 20 years old pretty simple.

Spoiler

Some cars might, I just mean its rare to see people buying and running cars with 250k let alone 500k on the clock (I am talking miles here not KM)

I wouldnt buy a car with more than 70 or 80k , bought my audi when it had 60k

An Audi, Mercedes, BMW, VW, etc with 120k km is virtually new.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

90k is average for a rep mobile in 1 - 2 years.. My old passat TDI had near 600k before I sold it and was still running strong.

I wouldn't really consider a diesel even run in till it had 30k on the clock..

My dads ex bos had an isusu trooper that rolled over from 999,999 and did another 120k before he scrapped it.. BTW, my dad was a mechanic, mainly working on trucks and diesels, I used to work with him too before college.. newer is nice and so is low mileage..

But an engine will run for many hundreds of thousands of miles before it needs anything more major than an oil change and timing-belt / water pump..

You should be more concerned about clutches and gearboxes.. If it was a city car with that mileage, even more-so as they spend more time in low gears and start-stop.. 

My mothers old Astra petrol had 500k on it before it was scrapped.. and that was a 1.4 petrol..

There is a reason why diesels are used in trucks, lorry, vans, boats, generators and so on.. They will run and run and run..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

An Audi, Mercedes, BMW, VW, etc with 120k km is virtually new.

I disagree, I got my 2007 Audi with 60k on it and its now about 83ka and losing money rapidly so I need to sell before its worth nothing

Make sure you get those turbo seals checked. One leak and your engine runs away and destroys itself. Feeding off of the oil behind the leaking seal.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Diesel is $3/gallon or $.7925/litre here... what is it there?

it's about 1,3 €/L (=1,5 $)... 

and then we get taxed on CO2 emission as well... You can see how it would get very expensive very fast here :D

210k is a lot, I wouldn't even look at  a car that had done like 90 or 100k, then again UK journeys are shorter and the cars are more highly tuned

I assume lazy US engines are more reliable

And I'm from Ireland so your still not changing anything. The only reason to worry about a car with that low mileage is if it's been ragged.

I disagree, I got my 2007 Audi with 60k on it and its now about 83ka and losing money rapidly so I need to sell before its worth nothing

All newer and bigger cars lose value faster than smaller and older ones.

The 83k on it in 8 years is about 10k per year.. Average is 12k.. Much much more if you look at rep cars / taxis and so on.. 80k is NOTHING for a 2007.. you should (as long as it's insurance group isn't too high and it's in top nick) get top price for that in it's year, also as long as it isn't due a timing belt / water pump change.. Though that can be around the 60 - 120k mark depending on the engine.

7.3L... that would be unbearable to support financially here. Taxes + diesel...

Here we try to use as less as we can, that's why I drive a 1.5L diesel renault megane.

thats a little car we are talking http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.htmlof towing anything

it's not thát small... pictures

I can fit everything I need in it or tow a small trailer, so it's good enough for me.

I can't really think of a reason a normal person like me would need that kind of truck. But hey, if you need it, you need it :D

Diesel is specifically €0.66 per liter. (I converted everything for you and I assumed euros). How much is it in Belgium?

1,3 €/L, + emission tax...

Only reason for a truck that big is towing very heavy loads.

it's not thát small... pictures

I can fit everything I need in it or tow a small trailer, so it's good enough for me.

I can't really think of a reason a normal person like me would need that kind of truck. But hey, if you need it, you need it  :D

Make sure you get those turbo seals checked. One leak and your engine runs away and destroys itself. Feeding off of the oil behind the leaking seal.

Thats pretty much what just happened to my escape hybrid. Brought it in for warranty work and the dealership noticed that the rear main seal was in poor shape, but figured it would be fine for another couple years. 260 miles later I was most of the way home from college with an engine that was killing itself. That was an expensive day. Insurance is the dumbest thing ever. It didn't cover that breaking, but would have covered it had I hit a tree (of course my rates would have gone up). Of course the warranty on the engine expired literally the week before. 

The 7.3L will run for a long time if maintained properly. I see a couple of them daily when they are working on redoing the roof on our engineering building. I peaked my head in the window and those suckers are sitting at over 400,000 miles and that is probably almost all on campus miles (lower than 30mph) and probably many winters of plowing and laying salt. 

Edit: keep in mind that I am at a university where they don't really pay much for labor on vehicle repair because automotive students learn by doing the repairs. So it is really part cost and then like 1/3rd the normal labor cost for the repair.