off topic-- Turbo diesel questions

adamsjus1

The 1999-2001 7.3's I know were pretty good, and you can get those things running for a long time. At least a good 500k+. I'd definetly stay away from the 6.0's, they are nothing but problems.

My personal favourites are the 6.4's and the 6.7's. I plan (and hope) to have a 6.4 by the end of Grade 11 (I'll be 17 and have my G2), as the 6.4 is probably a bit more affordable than the 6.7's for now ;)

If it werent for the damn 4 speed tranny, I'd be able to go faster.

I'd advise you looks for a diesel and 4x4 in the least. The truck you found is nice, but there are most likely more and better out there. CHECK FOR RUST though.

I know how you feel with that. The CVT in my hybrid is not happy above 80mph and prefers to take a while to get there. But I feel like that is the modified 2.3l inline 4 designed to sacrifice power for efficiency. 

Agreed on the 4x4 and other options. 

210k is a lot, I wouldn't even look at  a car that had done like 90 or 100k, then again UK journeys are shorter and the cars are more highly tuned

I assume lazy US engines are more reliable

210k isn't kilometers it's 210 thousand miles. Not sure if that was clear. That isn't a lot of mileage for an american diesel truck. It's not uncommon for American Diesel trucks to have 500k Miles on them or even a million. If maintained properly they will literally last forever. 

Mine has roughly 380,000km on the clock and is the same age as yours, a 2003. While 4 years may be a little while, its not long enough to kill a vehicle that has already ran well for 12 years. Unless you have issues around or before the warranty goes out, then you should be able to drive it forever, given you have proper maintenence. 

12 year old vehicle has 8 years to go not 4.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

210k isn't kilometers it's 210 thousand miles. Not sure if that was clear. That isn't a lot of mileage for an american diesel truck. It's not uncommon for American Diesel trucks to have 500k Miles on them or even a million. If maintained properly they will literally last forever. 

I use miles.. and I was just saying here in the UK people would think you were insane for buying anything with 500k miles on it :D but we dont have american trucks :D 

I just thought it was an interesting dichotomy 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Diesel is $3/gallon or $.7925/litre here... what is it there?

$0.7925 a Litre? Thats roughly 96 cents CAD. Regular right now is at around $1.32 for regular and $1.48-$1.52 for Premium in Vancouver. Summers coming up, If I remember, I filled up my Dads ML550 last year and it was around $1.63/L for 94 at Chevron.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

It doesn't, but we can't ban expensive big engined cars because they are willing to pay more taxes for that. Money is always needed sadly.

Small old polluting cars can be banned/taxed more too though. Big old cars are the worst offenders still.

I don't know where you get your information but if you can drive in a city centre, you can drive.. There is no bans on older cars. More likely is ban on heavy goods vehicles.

The way they get rid of old polluting and unsafe cars is by a national car test (Mot in UK, NCT in Ireland for example) where if your car fails, it's done.. Either fix it up to pass the tests a second time round or scrap it.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I don't know where you get your information but if you can drive in a city centre, you can drive.. There is no bans on older cars. More likely is ban on heavy goods vehicles.

The way they get rid of old polluting and unsafe cars is by a national car test (Mot in UK, NCT in Ireland for example) where if your car fails, it's done.. Either fix it up to pass the tests a second time round or scrap it.

There are no bans on anything yet. The bans are coming.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

There are no bans on anything yet. The bans are coming.

Not likely.. In cities with restrictions / charges already in place, it's Heavy goods vehicles (articulated and rigid lorries over a certain size) or just charges depending on your vehicles class or tax band (all going to emissions based anyway).. You won't see them ban canrs.. They just put the price to where people won't pay (or most people won't) and push towards public transport.. Like in London..

Not likely.. In cities with restrictions / charges already in place, it's Heavy goods vehicles (articulated and rigid lorries over a certain size) or just charges depending on your vehicles class or tax band (all going to emissions based anyway).. You won't see them ban canrs.. They just put the price to where people won't pay (or most people won't) and push towards public transport.. Like in London..

What are you talking about not likely, it's already planned and starts soon. It's not a question of if it happen it's a question when.  :lol:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/02/12/paris-to-ban-all-old-cars-from-city-limits-starting-next-year/

You probably did not even read.  Every country has slightly different implementations, but bans and heavier restrictions will come to every european country.

Spoiler

I use miles.. and I was just saying here in the UK people would think you were insane for buying anything with 500k miles on it :D but we dont have american trucks :D

I just thought it was an interesting dichotomy 

Again.. your mistaken.. anyone in the UK with half a brain would check the condition of the car, check the service history, drive it / get it checked by a mechanic and drive away laughing at all the people like you who turn their noses up at it.

As long as it's been taken care of and maintained properly.. you just being either a total idiot or a total snob.

Yes as miles go up, more stuff needs to have been done to the car overall, thats why you heck it out.. but if a new car (under 3 years old) hasn't had an oil change or filters done.. it's as bad or worse for that engine.. And I've seen this allot... You find many people who buy mid to luxury cars (BMW, Audi, Merc etc) and replace every 2 - 3 years, simply don't look after them.

(BTW, this "view", or "opinion" comes from a group of dealerships and working on and selling their cars that have been traded in.. All the other stuff (golfs, astra,s etc) were in good nick.. But the 2 - 4 year old cars of the same brand as the dealerships we were owned by.. They were SOOO bad. And the dealership would fake the service history on most of them so they would sell.. I'll never buy a car thats being re-sold by the same dealership..)

What are you talking about not likely, it's already planned and starts soon. It's not a question of if it happen it's a question when.  :lol:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/02/12/paris-to-ban-all-old-cars-from-city-limits-starting-next-year/

You probably did not even read.  Every country has slightly different implementations, but bans and heavier restrictions will come to every european country.

Thats 1 cities solution (possibly 2).. Not an EU official stance. Which is what your making it sound like.

Thats 1 cities solution (possibly 2).. Not an EU official stance. Which is what your making it sound like.

Is it EU official stance even in my country they are talking about bans on old cars and much scricter regulations. It's just the implementation can't be sudden like I said it would be shocking, so they go slow.

Spoiler

Again.. your mistaken.. anyone in the UK with half a brain would check the condition of the car, check the service history, drive it / get it checked by a mechanic and drive away laughing at all the people like you who turn their noses up at it.

Yeah I would 100% turn my nose up at a high mileage car, since I can get a similar car with much lower mileage for not much money

High milage lowers prices

(I work in the car industry and I do pricing data for my fleet, plus I see auction values, CAP and glasses guide prices and everything all update do that I actually do the direct download for every week so I know about vehicle pricing more than most people) one MAJOR factor to a vehicles price is miles

Call me a snob or whatever you want but I would not buy a high milage car unless it was sub £2000 or was not going to be my main car

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Can I just ask why there's a need for such a large engine? 

I know nothing. >~>

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Yeah I would 100% turn my nose up at a high mileage car, since I can get a similar car with much lower mileage for not much money

High milage lowers prices

(I work in the car industry and I do pricing data for my fleet, plus I see auction values, CAP and glasses guide prices and everything all update do that I actually do the direct download for every week so I know about vehicle pricing more than most people) one MAJOR factor to a vehicles price is miles

Call me a snob or whatever you want but I would not buy a high milage car unless it was sub £2000 or was not going to be my main car

This is why I'm calling you either ignorant or a Snob.. and from your response it seems it's a snob... Even though the value drops, does not mean the car is worse / better.. The care and maintenance is much more important.

If you will dismiss a car for having nothing wrong with it but high miles, especially when you can pay less.. your either a fool or a snob... The reason the value drops is because people have a misconception around mileage.

My point is that any car can be good or bad, you don't decide based on the miles.

I know nothing. >~>

Lage number of torqs, lower revs and less potent fuel to get the power from.

I know nothing. >~>

Because I want more power. And its not 100% for the engine. Its for a bigger truck because I wanted extended cab with an 8ft bed And its 4x4 when my current truck is only a 2x4. 

and

I NEED MORE POWER!!!

This is why I'm calling you either ignorant or a Snob.. and from your response it seems it's a snob...

Is it really necessary to call him anything because he has a different opinion or view point than you?

To quote the code of conduct:

• "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.

Is it really necessary to call him anything because he has a different opinion or view point than you?

To quote the code of conduct:

Simply because he's either unaware of something (ignorant) or looks down at something because it not perceived as being good enough even though there is no validity to the reasoning (a snob) and perpetuating that either everyone in the UK is the same as him or that others may believe the BS  he is spreading. I wasn't being derogatory in anything I said, it wasn't meant to be offensive, just a statement describing his point of view on a very specific subject where he is absolutely wrong.

If I caused offence, I'm sorry.. But at the same time:

I wasn't being derogatory in anything I said, it wasn't meant to be offensive, just a statement describing his point of view on a very specific subject where he is absolutely wrong.

There is no right and wrong when you're discussing whether or you'd buy a car based on whatever criteria you make decisions in that matter. What you consider wrong is nothing more than your opinion. Doesn't mean the other dude is wrong, just means his opinion differs.

Honestly, I don't care what your reasoning behind the name calling was, I just care about keeping the forums clean of it. Because no matter whether you think name calling shouldn't matter to an individual (as is portrayed by the video you linked), it restricts people from expressing their opinions (because they actually might care more about it than you) and generally creates a negative atmosphere on the forums (something which we try to avoid at all times).

That's the last I'll discuss about it in this thread (because I don't want to derail it further). Should you have any more concerns about this you wish to discuss, feel free to hit me up on PM :)

7.3L my god, as a European that makes me cringe.

7.3L... that would be unbearable to support financially here. Taxes + diesel...

Here we try to use as less as we can, that's why I drive a 1.5L diesel renault megane.

1.8 petrol costs me £230 a year in tax. And its a Ford.

SNIP

Call me what you want, I am just going on my A - opinion and B - experience in the industry and C - everyone I know who has bought a car or discussed buying a car with me, and everbody I know who owns a car so....yeah

But fair enough I respect some people may just not care about that aspect

SNIP

Thankyou

snip

Got to agree with this, won't buy a car over 70,000. Had issues with cars over 100,000 and always avoid cars that are from the coastal areas. The UK weather is not nice to cars and the scrappage scheme killed the used car sales so there is no such thing as a cheap car now. That's from first hand experience and motor trade experience.