European court rules Skype’s name is too similar to UK based Sky broadcaster

AlexGoesHigh

Someone either needs to go back to law school, or school itself. In no way do i see those two as being similar, nor would i ever confuse the two... What is wrong with these people. 

We must "Believe In Better"  - sky_logo_2013_70x44x32_he0c8f53e.png

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Fucking Rupert Murdoch scummbaggery. They are literally doing this in the hope that they will be able to license out the name for huge amounts of money.  I feel sad that the EU which prides itself on being progressive still lets this sort of childish shit happen.

More and more I am starting to see a pattern of the EU courts becoming a boys club whos sole agenda is to prevent US companies from competing with European ones. The list of borderline calls is starting to grow.

1. you can't bundle an internet browser with your product.

2. you can't choose what connector you put on your phone

3. You cannot control the apps that run on your OS.

4. you are not allowed to keep your world recognized branding because it has three letters the same another company half the world hasn't heard of.

5. You can't bundle windows media play with your product. The reason they have the N edition of the OS.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5. You can't bundle windows media play with your product. The reason they have the N edition of the OS.

Its freaking dumb! I am sick of the EU making up these dumb as hell rules. More prominently they're used to pick on Microsoft as I have noticed over the last year or so. I hope the EU realises that without Microsoft the majority of computing technology would be nothing like what it is today. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

So, when are we going to see a law action against SKYY vodka?

lol

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Nek minute... SkyPlus 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Sky is a company that actively serves content to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. It is perfectly understandable for the EU to make this decision despite Skype being a well established brand.

And as I pointed out before, the lawsuit started back when Skype was not an established brand. So the question is, should the judgement be based on when a complain is filed or when it reaches a conclusion?

The ruling would have made a lot more sense if it was back when Sky originally filed it (Skype was just a few years old and not that popular). Should Sky suffer because the lawsuit got dragged put several years?

Personally I think the ruling is stupid, but the reason it ended up being stupid is because the extremely long time it took them to come to a conclusion.

More and more I am starting to see a pattern of the EU courts becoming a boys club whos sole agenda is to prevent US companies from competing with European ones. The list of borderline calls is starting to grow.

1. you can't bundle an internet browser with your product.

2. you can't choose what connector you put on your phone

3. You cannot control the apps that run on your OS.

4. you are not allowed to keep your world recognized branding because it has three letters the same another company half the world hasn't heard of.

I agree on 1, 3 and 4.  Not 2 though. 

Proprietary connectors were a menace and produced loads of garbage (and I mean that literally, you almost always had to throw the old charger away if you bought a new phone). 

At least now you can use the same charger for just about every type of phone and don't need to look around for someone who has a Samsung charger or a Nokia charger or a Sony Ericsson charger.  A simple Micro USB is all you need now and nearly everyone has that ... well, apart from the iPhone users of course.  But that was to be expected really.  As a wise man once said : "some mother****ers are always trying to ice-skate uphill". 

Its freaking dumb! I am sick of the EU making up these dumb as hell rules. More prominently they're used to pick on Microsoft as I have noticed over the last year or so. I hope the EU realises that without Microsoft the majority of computing technology would be nothing like what it is today.

They have been picking on Microsoft for a long long time.https://fsfe.org/activities/ms-vs-eu/timeline.en.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

man you lot are clueless, its not about confusing Sky with Skype,  its weather people could be mislead in to thinking Skype was a sky product. you also need to realize that most people that use Skype are not technologically minded, given that Skype is available on phones tablets and even smart tvs. its not a big jump to assume people with little knowledge of tech could come to the conclusion that Skype is in some way related to Sky. 

oh and BTW, Americans bitching about stupid lawsuits.....are you fucking kidding me, this from the country that allowed people with cancer to sue tobacco firms and fat people to sue McDonald's, not to mention the lawsuits regarding net neutrality...really 

giphy.gif

seriously so freaking what. skype has to change there name....who cares

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

If you say sky, i think of the sky OUTSIDE in the REAL WORLD. Yea EU u don't know that that is do ya? xD

Maybe we should launch the EU court to there. So they will learn what sky is.

And if they don't, we'll just leave them there.

Just mad that stupid companies can do whatever they want.

Tbh i have never heard of sky broadcaster whatever. ISP? TV station? Who cares?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

they should buy sky just to make them shut the **** up

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

they are buying a fight they cant win in my opinion.

sky's logo looks like SLCY

anyway they have zero grounds here.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

How about telling SKY change its name, or better off find better ways to promote itself, so people out there will know who they are, instead acting like a 3 year old cry baby.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

How about telling SKY change its name, or better off find better ways to promote itself, so people out there will know who they are, instead acting like a 3 year old cry baby.

i love the irony of you calling sky a cry baby in that reply.  well my intellectually challenged little friend, maybe sky should keep its name because it was founded in 1989, where as skype was founded some 14 years later, just a thought.

oh and as for promote its self better....well sky in the uk is the largest pay tv provider by some margin. it has 10 million plus subscribers compared to its closest rival with 3.7 million....i think there well known enough.

if i were you, i wouldn't chime in in subjects you 0 knowledge about.....

tumblr_mx1faivGg61su3k73o1_500.gif

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

How would you be mistaken that Skype is part of sky... Isn't sky a broadcaster, I have that sky News channel. Plus Microsoft's banner is like plastered all around Skype's website. All you'd get is people being confused when their Skype suddenly changed names...

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Who the hell is ''Sky'' and why does they want Skype to change their name..?

IMO this is another case of butthurt when it comes to names, get over it. Its similiar, not the same.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

man you lot are clueless, its not about confusing Sky with Skype,  its weather people could be mislead in to thinking Skype was a sky product. you also need to realize that most people that use Skype are not technologically minded, given that Skype is available on phones tablets and even smart tvs. its not a big jump to assume people with little knowledge of tech could come to the conclusion that Skype is in some way related to Sky. 

oh and BTW, Americans bitching about stupid lawsuits.....are you fucking kidding me, this from the country that allowed people with cancer to sue tobacco firms and fat people to sue McDonald's, not to mention the lawsuits regarding net neutrality...really 

giphy.gif

could they just put a disclaimer in that says not a product of sky or put a big microsoft logo somewhere 

I agree on 1, 3 and 4.  Not 2 though. 

Proprietary connectors were a menace and produced loads of garbage (and I mean that literally, you almost always had to throw the old charger away if you bought a new phone). 

At least now you can use the same charger for just about every type of phone and don't need to look around for someone who has a Samsung charger or a Nokia charger or a Sony Ericsson charger.  A simple Micro USB is all you need now and nearly everyone has that ... well, apart from the iPhone users of course.  But that was to be expected really.  As a wise man once said : "some mother****ers are always trying to ice-skate uphill". 

I don't see how that gives any court the right to tell a company what connector to use.  If you want a phone with a standardised connector then buy one.  I have been using mobile phones since 1994 and haven't had any problems, every phone comes with a charger anyway so I really don't see how it's an issue. 

EDIT: and on top of that, what law did apple break that warranted the courts to order them to change their plug?  Was it IP infringement? nope, was it anti competitive? nope, their plug has no ill effects on the consumer or competition.  Was it unfairly creating a monopoly? nope, to do that a consumer must not have a choice, going on phone sales alone there is no way you can argue consumers don't have a choice.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't see how that gives any court the right to tell a company what connector to use.  If you want a phone with a standardised connector then buy one.  I have been using mobile phones since 1994 and haven't had any problems, every phone comes with a charger anyway so I really don't see how it's an issue. 

EDIT: and on top of that, what law did apple break that warranted the courts to order them to change their plug?  Was it IP infringement? nope, was it anti competitive? nope, their plug has no ill effects on the consumer or competition.  Was it unfairly creating a monopoly? nope, to do that a consumer must not have a choice, going on phone sales alone there is no way you can argue consumers don't have a choice.

It did stop waste of equipment by making it sharable between device more. i can take, leave, hate the eu's other dumb ideas, but this idea was worth cost by keeping charger waste under control

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Sky TV = Skype apparently. Hmm, and Foxtel hasn't been sued for having a name too similar to Fox. The European courts are targeting Microsoft.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The world gets more and more ridiculous every single day thanks to commerce among other things.  The European Court's ruling here is ridiculous.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S