R9 390X Achieves 8GB HBM with Dual Link Interposer not HBM2

BiG StroOnZ

are you seriously talking about a 2GB difference between 6GB and 8GB of vram as "leading edge" to "take back the market" ???

LOLOLOL

you've got to be kidding me

6GB is already enough for 6k at ultra

plus the titan X has 12GB for those who want to do triple 4k (which 8GB is not enough for)

also its was already known the 390x was a single GPU card

did you think the 290x was dual GPU or what

Is that all you read? cause this is what it said:

AMD manages to integrate 8GB of HBM memory at its peak thanks to a series of improvements to the interposer TSV developed with SK Hynix: the technology in question is called "Dual Link Interposer" (from 4 to 8-Hi-Hi). With a Dual Link Interposing design, SK Hynix will be able to stack 4x (Dual 1GB HBM modules) via an Interposer (2.5D stacking).This will allow AMD to take advantage of a larger amount of memory without having to wait for the arrival of the HBM 2nd generation. 2x 4-HI HBM1 (which should technically be called 8-Hi-Hi according to nomenclature rules) features a 1024-bit interface, two prefetch operations per IO (dual command) and can push 128GB per second per pin. The tRC is 48nm, tCCD is 2ns (1tCK), and VDD is 1.2V. 

and this is what you read:

blah blah blah blah blah blah 8gb blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah 

There's a lot more to this than an extra 2gb

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

i said the titan x is the most powerful GPU, not graphics card

the 295x2 has two GPUs in it

the titan x only has one and almost performs just as good as the highest end dual GPU card in the world

For now, AMD is on the way with their monster GPU so it may not stay like that for long. Fiji will probably top GM200 in both gaming and compute environments. Leaving it at not only the single fastest GPU in the world but also the most advanced GPU given the underlying changes. Also note he said compute and GM200 is absolutely terrible at compute with a 1/32 ratio.

last gen the 290x launched at $500 but did not beat a 780ti

cant say usually if it was just one time.

and right now, everything is rumours 

It launched spanking the GTX 780 then a month later Nvidia rushed out the GTX 780 Ti to counter it (even overthrowing their own flagship).

4GB of vram is only 2GB more than 2GB of vram and 2GB of vram is only 2GB more than 0GB of vram

theres a difference between comparing 2 to 4GB and comparing 6 to 8GB

games can easily use over 2GB of vram making 4GB a worthy upgrade over 2, but very few games (on a single 4k screen) can use over 6GB making 8GB not useful in 99% of tasks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i said the titan x is the most powerful GPU, not graphics card

the 295x2 has two GPUs in it

the titan x only has one and almost performs just as good as the highest end dual GPU card in the world

he quoted the following post

what do you think the titan X is...

12GB is prety "leading edge" imo, something AMD isnt doing is making the most powerful graphic cards in the world

maybe you should read your own posts?

games can easily use over 2GB of vram making 4GB a worthy upgrade over 2, but very few games (on a single 4k screen) can use over 6GB making 8GB not useful in 99% of tasks

and some of use like to buy graphics cards and have them last 4 or so years.

Do you even know what you are saying yourself? AMD IS making the most powerful graphics card in the world. No one mentioned GPU. Not in your post that I replied to. Bolded your statement, so there is no confusion.

GPU = graphics processing unit

graphics card = whole card

295x2=most powerful graphics card, titan x = most powerful GPU

i messed up on my second post, meant to type GPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

people buying the 390x can easily buy two of them then get 2 4k monitors which 6GB will probably not handle

There's a lot more to this than an extra 2gb

i did read that

but the point you brought up only compared 6GB to 8GB not the memory bandwidth

Spoiler

GPU = graphics processing unit

graphics card = whole card

295x2=most powerful graphics card, titan x = most powerful GPU

i messed up on my second post, meant to type GPU

Fair enough, we all make mistakes. I agree with your statement here. Either way, it will still be interesting to see the performance of Fiji XT and also the 980ti, if such a card comes along.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

probably

go take this argument somewhere else where you can predict the future, like maybe the next dimension or something

Spoiler

Fair enough, we all make mistakes. I agree with your statement here. Either way, it will still be interesting to see the performance of Fiji XT and also the 980ti, if such a card comes along.

yes

I agree with this

Spoiler

GM200 is the most powerful graphics core in the world.

R9 295x2 is the most powerful graphics card in the world.

And memory bandwidth isn't a problem with any of them.

Arguing like idiots does nothing to serve this thread, this forum, or any of us. Instead of complaining at each other, perhaps we should take a moment to think about what the hell the priorities of this forum are; enjoying technology and seeing it evolve.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

so nothing new then. AMD always has more VRam with flagship GPU's than nVidia. Normally I bounce back and forth from AMD and nVidia every generation or two, but the HBM and pure power of the fiji GPU (if benchmarks are accurate) is hard not to consider.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

people buying the 390x can easily buy two of them then get 2 4k monitors which 6GB will probably not handle

someone buying 2 or 3 4k monitors will have enough money for a titan x

heck i see people buying a titan x just for one 4k monitor and using 10GB of vram

games are getting pretty demanding these days lol

Spoiler

someone buying 2 or 3 4k monitors will have enough money for a titan x

heck i see people buying a titan x just for one 4k monitor and using 10GB of vram

games are getting pretty demanding these days lol

why not get 3 390x for about the price of 2 titan x

he quoted the following post

maybe you should read your own posts?

and some of use like to buy graphics cards and have them last 4 or so years.

if you kept reading, you would see I recognised my mistake and edited that post

Spoiler

if you kept reading, you would see I recognised my mistake and edited that post

you just now edited the post, making your blasting of him completely out of line.

because you cant get 3 390x

you cant even get one

lol

they arent available yet

and if you need three 390xs you probably are playing at resolutions over 4k, where you could use more than 8GB of vram, and the titan x has 12GB

plus the people doing this have so much money it makes no difference to buy three $700 cards vs three $1000 cards

Spoiler

you just now edited the post, making your blasting of him completely out of line.

did you not see his reply? we both acknowledged my mistake

the GPU vs graphics card post I made is still correct

a GPu is not the same as a graphics card

also this was a conversation I was having with someone else, not you, so i dont see why you needed to point it out a second time when he already corrected my mistake

it seems like all you're trying to do now is start more arguments of who is right vs who is wrong

Spoiler

because you cant get 3 390x

you cant even get one

lol

they arent available yet

and if you need three 390xs you probably are playing at resolutions over 4k, where you could use more than 8GB of vram, and the titan x has 12GB

plus the people doing this have so much money it makes no difference to buy three $700 cards vs three $1000 cards

when they are available and lots of people are probably saving up for a 390x or a 980 ti and they dont have enough for a titan 

How can you speculate on an unreleased card with unreleased pricing? For all we know the 390X will release at $750 and you'd end up spending more on three than you would for two Titan X's.

Always trying to find reason.

How can you speculate on an unreleased card with unreleased pricing? For all we know the 390X will release at $750 and you'd end up spending more on three than you would for two Titan X's.

of course if amd makes its 90000 dollars i wont recommend people to buy it but assuming its 700 4GB of vram isnt worth 300 dollars or even 200 dollars 

of course if amd makes its 90000 dollars i wont recommend people to buy it but assuming its 700 4GB of vram isnt worth 300 dollars or even 200 dollars 

We both know people game at much higher resolutions than 4k, and plenty of people are going to be gaming at 3x4k when it becomes possible. You're going to need that extra 4GB of VRAM.

We both know people game at much higher resolutions than 4k, and plenty of people are going to be gaming at 3x4k when it becomes possible. You're going to need that extra 4GB of VRAM.

when 3x4k becomes common there will probably be a 16GB version of the 390x

when 3x4k becomes common there will probably be a 16GB version of the 390x

No, there won't be. And you know that.

No, there won't be. And you know that.

i dont see why not there are 8GB 290x and people will get the 390x for the better double precision performance lol