R9 390X Achieves 8GB HBM with Dual Link Interposer not HBM2

BiG StroOnZ

Don't you guys know that an extra 2GB of RAM only matters if nvidia do it? (290X - Titan) because everything nvidia does is perfect and AMD don't ever do anything that makes sense.

^ fanboys are actually like this.

Am I the only one looking forward to the big increase in memory bandwidth?

I may have a bit of tunnel vision towards VR here. But with VR you render in the range of ~4k and you want to have as much MSAA as possible. (In VR this seems to be the only usable AA)
MSAA is actually not that expensive except that it eats up a lot(!) of memory bandwidth.

Also saturating the memory bandwidth on current GPUs seems to add a lot of "input latency" even when you are still good on the fps. This would be another good reason to throw as much bandwidth at the GPU as possible, because VR depends on low input latency.

Don't you guys know that an extra 2GB of RAM only matters if nvidia do it? (290X - Titan) because everything nvidia does is perfect and AMD don't ever do anything that makes sense.

^ fanboys are actually like this.

Seems to be a running gag for a long time now with the Flagship cards:

390x 8GB vs. 980Ti 6GB

290x 4GB vs. 780Ti 3GB

7970 3GB vs. 680 2GB

6970 2GB vs. 480/580 1.5GB

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It's going to be difficult to snatch up one or three 390x's if they're in short supply, but.. I will do it.  For the children!

Since mining isn't really a thing anymore, I doubt there will be a shortage like with the 200 series.

Since mining isn't really a thing anymore, I doubt there will be a shortage like with the 200 series.

There'll be a shortage due to the lower yields of HBM1, not the mining community.  So, that'll make these cards.... *Puts on sunglasses* "HOT".  YEAAAAAAAAAH.

There'll be a shortage due to the lower yields of HBM1, not the mining community.  So, that'll make these cards.... *Puts on sunglasses* "HOT".  YEAAAAAAAAAH.

agreed, that's a possibility.

And here I am still with a 1GB VRAM GPU...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's artificially limited to 1/8 on Radeon cards.

Well I guess they have to flog their Firepros somehow :)

Yeah, GPU mining is dead and has been for a while now.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It lost me when they started to use the terminology of the tech and abbreviations. But I got the basic idea and the comments help out understand it better so thanks ppl.

I smell burning memory... 

Good luck AMD, Good Luck.

How do you smell burning memory? The GPU alone will cook itself and be dead long before the HBM even decides to quit. HBM can take massive temperatures. Another thing to note is the HBM will be stacked on an interposer with the die. So they are technically two different packages sharing the same interface.

-

Triple 4K on a Titan X? What game... minesweeper?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Triple 4K on a Titan X? What game... minesweeper?

multiple titan xs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Here's a worthy bump, R9 390X is confirmed to be using HBM by HotChips 2016 schedule.

Seems like they caught on as it's been renamed to "AMD’s next Generation GPU and Memory Architecture".

pVe58WE.jpg

are you seriously talking about a 2GB difference between 6GB and 8GB of vram as "leading edge" to "take back the market" ???

Yeah, well... There's a difference of .5GB between 3.5GB and 4GB.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Yeah, well... There's a difference of .5GB between 3.5GB and 4GB.

no GPU on the market has 3.5GB of vram

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no GPU on the market has 3.5GB of vram

Sure, let's all just believe in that.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

Sure, let's all just believe in that.

Believe in what?

The fact that its true?

Show me a GPU with 3.5GB of vram

they come with 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or 12GB

not 3.5 or 4.5 or whatever

Spoiler

Believe in what?

The fact that its true?

Show me a GPU with 3.5GB of vram

they come with 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or 12GB

not 3.5 or 4.5 or whatever

C'mon, you didn't get the joke? And I was talking about practical vram, not an extremely slow chunk of it.

btw, did you use @alpenwasser's method for lacing the sleeved cables on your build?

C'mon, you didn't get the joke? And I was talking about practical vram, not an extremely slow chunk of it.

btw, did you use @alpenwasser's method for lacing the sleeved cables on your build?

You call that a joke? That joke got old last year. Its 2015, get over it. Not all people have an issue with the slow .5GB, I have seen tons of people use up to 4GB without any fps reduction

Honestly its an overrated issue. Nobody had any problems before the stupid media made it explode.

And I used this method for sewing my cables:

Spoiler

You call that a joke? That joke got old last year. Its 2015, get over it. Not all people have an issue with the slow .5GB, I have seen tons of people use up to 4GB without any fps reduction

Honestly its an overrated issue. Nobody had any problems before the stupid media made it explode.

Its 2015 and people are still using space heater jokes with AMD. Y u gotta be so mad? :lol:  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You call that a joke? That joke got old last year. Its 2015

Nvidia 3.5GB joke is half a year old.

AMD heater jokes are 67 billion years old

You're just going to have to deal with it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Snip, forgot more pages were added since last night.

[witty signature]

Looking good AMD!

About the "oh NVIDIA amount of ram is always enough"... yeah it was the same speech with the 7000 Vs 600 cards, R200 VS 700 and will be repeated in R300 vs 900 cards... when NVIDIA released the 670 4GB version at a huge premium price (yeah costed as much as a 7790GHz) or the 770 4GB again lol, everyone was cool about it when they were claiming 2GB was enough... fuck I saw people recommeding that sht to people who wanted to have more future proof builds! A 670 4GB over a 7970GHz LOL

They haven't seen the card yet are already claiming 6GB is more then enough!!!1one! Why? Because it's what is claimed to be in the 980ti xD - the logic is outstanding. It shines so bright it almost blinds!

But I've got to admit that they are not throwing the "4GB is enough" card, although they are already saying the R9 390 and 390X aren't competing with the 980... while they claimed the 980 true competiton was the 290X lol... maybe it's because of the 3,5GB of the 970 wound isn't healed yet lol.

Haters gotta hate, right?

that joke started in 2015 as the issue (iirc) was found in January