Swearing - Is it just a part of our language now? (Contains the swears!)

So, I consider swearing a natural part of my communication and I'm comfortable in its use universally. I'm British, 20 years old, a student. The reasons I'm specifying my nationality and whatnot is because not every country's language evolves in the same way. Swearing's fairly normal in the U.K., at least.

Of course, in jobs, university and so on, I'll still mind my language since I acknowledge that not everyone takes so well to cursing in the middle of a conversation. After all, not everyone has the same opinion.

Personally, I don't consider the words to mean anything in such a way that anyone should think "Oh my, he said 'f*ck!'". Whenever I swear, I either don't realise that I'm using such words, or I'm using it for comedic emphasis, again, probably not even realising it.

Of course, many might consider f*ck, sh!t and a$$ normal words in conversation, but how about c*nt, n*gger or wh*re? I understand that a lot of people are still weary of their use because of what they were initially used for. Of course, n*gger was a derogatory term to refer to black people, and c*nt was used to objectify women - But have we evolved from that?

I believe we're reaching the stage where these words are evolving away from their original definitions. Most people I know would happily say; "Haha, you tw*t!" if someone else is doing something funny/silly, which generates that response. They're not saying that out of dislike, they're saying because it's a funny thing to say to someone here. A lot of people argue that these words retain their original meanings and they shouldn't be used at all because of that - I disagree. If one's playing a game, for example, and says to their friend; "I'm going to kill you!", you're not going to take it literally because that's not what they mean at all. You don't need to live in fear thinking your friend wants to end your life. If someone isn't even thinking about the terms in a derogatory manner, I don't think it's worth sweating about.

Anyway, tl;dr, do you think swearing's alright and how often do you swear?

post-16043-0-73926700-1373736014.gif

"I'd like to own my own business when I grow up, what do you want to do?" - "I wanna be a MILF!"

Case: CM Storm Trooper (Black) CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz RAM: Mixed, 8GB GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix MoBo: Asus M5A97 PRO PSU: Seasonic M12 / 850W STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro (250GB) / Western Digital Blue (1TB)

I swear as often as possible. I personally see swearing as a way to verbally set a exclamation mark in a sentence.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Well , i have to concentrate on not swearing.... so you could say i'm a motherfucking swearer.

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

i'm 100% Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

Swearer

im 200% Swearer

!

Interested in Business and Technology

I got banned on new years night from one of the biggest MC servers, the admins there are very strict - little language will be tolerated. It's called MCWorkbench

Context of the story; Someone started spamming a bit in the chat so I told him "Mate, please don't do that, it pisses people off" - I live in the Netherlands and it has a similar meaning.

Someone is "Pissy" - "Pissig" in Dutch. - basically means pissed off but slightly less excessively - not bad language at all.

The head admin (who's from Wales) banned me a few months later, on New Years night. Great present.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I like swearing though there is a time and a place, in an adult situation then fine but I don't swear when children are present.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I swear quite frequently.

Allowing yourself to be offended by words is pointless. You are in effect deliberately making yourself open to attack by a majority of society. A word is meaningless without context and intent, and one should only feel offended when the intent behind such words is blatantly malicious.

In short, it's your choice to feel offended by such words - therefore it's your problem.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I have nothing against it. But I dont do it very much. I try not to fit in to the modern stereotype of "Teenager"...

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Allowing yourself to be offended by words is pointless. You are in effect deliberately making yourself open to attack by a majority of society. A word is meaningless without context and intent, and one should only feel offended when the intent behind such words is blatantly malicious.

Precisely what I think. I think there are far more noteable cultural problems that we can focus on (such as sexism and racism) before we start picking at each other's vocabulary.

"I'd like to own my own business when I grow up, what do you want to do?" - "I wanna be a MILF!"

Case: CM Storm Trooper (Black) CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz RAM: Mixed, 8GB GPU: ASUS GTX 970 Strix MoBo: Asus M5A97 PRO PSU: Seasonic M12 / 850W STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro (250GB) / Western Digital Blue (1TB)

swearing - in my opinion - requires timing, a perfectly timed and good use of swear is a joy to see.

it's like comedy, some people might not like it - but it doesn't condone that swearing (when done properly) is a terrible thing.

I work in the kitchen, so yea proper curses at the right time and situation are always welcomed :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Speech is just changes in air pressure. If you get offended by that, you are dumb. Its just air. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

think about it in a good way.

if some one is telling you

dude,dont buy this game it bad.

you will most likely wont get as serius about what is says

beacuse if some one will say to you

dude,dont buy this fucking game its fucking bad

it will be more Convincing

Speech is just changes in air pressure. If you get offended by that, you are dumb. Its just air. 

It's not the air part that people find offensive, it's the frequency the air is vibrating which carries those offensive words though I like swear words, I got called a prickbag or something and just starting chuckling :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

they are just words i mean who desided that words are bad was their just a group of old guys who said "this word is now wrong" Swearing's fine.

I will do it when I am at school/with my friends. Not at home. It's not really acceptable at my house so that is why. I don't mind using those words as long as you don't direct them at people (Such as insulting them).

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

That is an awesome way to look at it! :D

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

Where I live pretty much everyone swears. Even some of my teachers swear in class. It's just normal. I don't swear at home or around kids and I try not to use more offensive words around girls but other than that I use pretty much every swear word as long as it fits in the sentence. It's just habit I guess.

I don't swear often, but I'll always swear instead of using replacements words (like dang, shoot, etc) because I always found that stupid when you saying the exact same thing. 

I tend to swear more at work than i do in regular life because for some reason chemists are quite vulgar so I am around it a lot. 

I grew up on a farm so i've obviously been well trained in the art of swear-fu

and my family on my mothers side is danish. And they swear when they ask

nicely ;). So It's just become part of my daily Life.

And a "gosh darn it!" does not convey to others that you've dropped something really heavy on your foot. And need help.

In that situation a "ow! for f**ks sake!"

Tends to get peoples attention alot faster^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

In that situation a "ow! for f**ks sake!"

Tends to get peoples attention alot faster^^

People always say that communication needs to be clear, it doesn't get much clearer than that lol

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I only swear when I'm alone at my room, especially when I'm going nerd rage when gaming xD. I don't want to be looked like a uneducated guy since my country doesn't really tolerate that in public

That's pretty much my opinion, I'm from Denmark and 12 years old (although my friends are 14-15).

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

My language is absolutely awful whenever I'm not around adults, younger kids, or people that I respect. (Haven't cursed yet on this forum, so props to you lot ;))

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database