Nvidia releases GTA V in depth performance guide

Sidiox

Source:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide

guide-header-gtav.png

Grand Theft Auto V needs no introduction. It's the one of the best-selling titles of all time, and the highest-rated game of the past decade. Now, the highly-anticipated, definitive PC edition has arrived, so join us as we dissect Rockstar's record-breaking open-world action game to reveal the technological treats that await amongst its many, many graphics settings.

To turn everything on at 1920x1080, and 4x TXAA, you'll need a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM, and to hit a solid 60 frames-plus per second in every single intensive moment, a top end supercomputer will be required. With a few tweaks though you can dramatically improve performance with a near-imperceptible loss in visual fidelity, giving you a smooth, highly detailed experience on a far more affordable system.

So Nvidia created a really indepth guide looking at nearly all of the options in GTA V. It is really nice to see how you can optimise your game to run best. I'd be cool if they did this for more games (although I can understand that they don't)

It isn't really aimed at the lower end since they did most of their testing with Titan X's in SLI.

(1 remark, the "conclusion" states a 4GB VRAM GPU, so that kinda fucks with the people that have a GTX970, because although it might have the VRAM, not all of it is full speed. To clarify, I have a GTX 970 and I don't encounter stutter because of the 3.5GB I think)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

There is more people complaining about GTA V with a 970 then i can count!

And i can count to banana dammit!

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I have a GTX 970, have no real issues with VRAM because even pushing 4K at a mix of Very High and High, I'm not running into over 3.5GB VRAM usage.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Judging by below TXAA causes signficant texture blurring, compared to MSAA

http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-anti-aliasing-interactive-comparison-1-4x-txaa-vs-8x-msaa.html

e.g. the trees, the red tiled floor or the  roofs amongst other things

Yeah I couldn't find that using google because: 1. it isn't in the news section and 2. it doesn't have nvidia in the title and that is what I used to search on Google

And tbh if it isn't in the news section I don't really count as a repost. 

It is a repost and the original poster should get credit. I don't really care at the end of the day.  :lol:

"a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM"

970 users. I'm sorry.

BRB gonna club baby seals to stop Nvidia

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

BRB gonna club baby seals to stop Nvidia

RIP 780 :P

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

"a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM"

970 users. I'm sorry.

I feel even more sorry for people, who shelled out for a 780ti (or just a 780). Those cards are powerful enough to deal with these settings, but are vram limited, because NVidia chose to rip off their customers. You really get to see how privileged these hardware reviewers are, getting the latest hardware constantly, as all of them, seems to have completely forgotten about these cards.

The problem is though, that people buy expensive cards, to have for years. All those who bought the 780 series (or even worse, the 770), are screwed in the new games coming out (The Witcher 3 and The Division, should also require a lot of vram). Alas, no one talks about this, because a 700+$ card a year ago, is long forgotten.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I feel even more sorry for people, who shelled out for a 780ti (or just a 780). Those cards are powerful enough to deal with these settings, but are vram limited, because NVidia chose to rip off their customers. You really get to see how privileged these hardware reviewers are, getting the latest hardware constantly, as all of them, seems to have completely forgotten about these cards.

The problem is though, that people buy expensive cards, to have for years. All those who bought the 780 series (or even worse, the 770), are screwed in the new games coming out (The Witcher 3 and The Division, should also require a lot of vram). Alas, no one talks about this, because a 700+$ card a year ago, is long forgotten.

@Unlikelyjoker :P

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

The bigger problem for 780 series users is that Nvidia has been neglecting the drivers for them since Maxwell came out. There was a time when a 780 was as fast as an R9 290. But not any more in recent AAA games... planned obsolescence?

Got to appreciate the effort nvidia put into this guide. But I wonder how relevant the performance measurements of various features on vs off is for people with normal hardware... considering they tested with Titan SLI and overclocked 5960x... still the image quality comparisons are invaluable.

The bigger problem for 780 series users is that Nvidia has been neglecting the drivers for them since Maxwell came out. There was a time when a 780 was as fast as an R9 290. But not any more in recent AAA games... planned obsolescence?

Ever since the 980/970 came out all the drivers have been doing is fucking up my games....

THANKS DSR!

- WCCFTECH

Hey look it's a feature many of you like; Depth of field.

http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-in-game-depth-of-field-effects-interactive-comparison-1-on-vs-off.html

Lowering your frame-rate while making half the image look blurred. Awesome right? More cinematic. Just like motion blur and film grain.

Interesting guide. Though more interesting AMD gaming evolving thingie is finally giving recommendations on it and all of them recommend to dial back to direct x 10.1, I'll give it a try. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hey look it's a feature many of you like; Depth of field.

http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-in-game-depth-of-field-effects-interactive-comparison-1-on-vs-off.html

Lowering your frame-rate while making half the image look blurred. Awesome right? More cinematic. Just like motion blur and film grain.

Just like the Mr. Magoo, Uhm the worse mod, everyone loved for watch dogs. It's nice looking in movies, like 24fps is, but useless in games, as it removes detail and focus far away.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Not really.  MSI has an overclocked 4GB version of the 770 and I can testify that this runs the game really well.  In fact with 2 of them you can completely max it out at 1080p and hit the vsync all day long while the cards aren't even working hard yet.  Only using 3.2 GB of VRAM right now, the only way to actually push it would be in 1440p or 4K, but I am running 1080p monitors.

problems with a 970? Not here, and I'm running the game at 5760x1080.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not really.  MSI has an overclocked 4GB version of the 770 and I can testify that this runs the game really well.  In fact with 2 of them you can completely max it out at 1080p and hit the vsync all day long while the cards aren't even working hard yet.  Only using 3.2 GB of VRAM right now, the only way to actually push it would be in 1440p or 4K, but I am running 1080p monitors.

Most 770/680's sold are only 2GB. The problem with double up vram graphics cards, is that it halves the bandwidth/GB. So the 8GB 290x is a little bit silly as well, but still has a large bandwidth compared. A 770 gets something out of the 4GB, sure, but will be bandwidth limited none the less.

Im sure im not buying 970 anymore...

Finally a proper guide to all the ingame settings. I always wanted this to be expalined in detail.

Going to have a read through on friday :)

This guide wouldnt have existed if 970 was a perfect card.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I currently use my 55" Sony HDTV as computer monitor and will buy a 65" 4k Samsung down the road so It's imperative for my next gpu to have hdmi 2.0 to handle 4k @ 60fps

I currently use my 55" Sony HDTV as computer monitor and will buy a 65" 4k Samsung down the road so It's imperative for my next gpu to have hdmi 2.0 to handle 4k @ 60fps

Or you could try an actual monitor instead, that has DisplayPort? Unless you really need the massive screen size (Barnacules style)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Love these kins of detailed guides. But hmmm more optimization from RS would be appreciated.

Runs pretty good on my R9 290 though

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Lol, I said this a while back and even posted evidence of it, and people called me a conspiracy theorist and an AMD fanboy.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

My favorite quote from the source:

Performance: Grass Quality has the largest impact on performance of any setting in the entire game, even with shadow quality settings at their lowest values.