Nvidia releases GTA V in depth performance guide

Sidiox

GTA V runs fine on my 1GB of VRAM at 1080p with decent settings.

I'm also using a gtx 560 :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I feel even more sorry for people, who shelled out for a 780ti (or just a 780). Those cards are powerful enough to deal with these settings, but are vram limited, because NVidia chose to rip off their customers. You really get to see how privileged these hardware reviewers are, getting the latest hardware constantly, as all of them, seems to have completely forgotten about these cards.

The problem is though, that people buy expensive cards, to have for years. All those who bought the 780 series (or even worse, the 770), are screwed in the new games coming out (The Witcher 3 and The Division, should also require a lot of vram). Alas, no one talks about this, because a 700+$ card a year ago, is long forgotten.

Yeah, next year all AAA games would require 5+GB Vram to run. You need GTX1080 with 6GB of Vram. All GTX980 owners would be screwed. That's how GPU makers trick us to buy new cards every year....

I'm running a 780 with almost everything turned all the way up (grass is on very high instead of ultra) and I get 50-60 fps in the game. Sometimes it'll dip to 47 or 48 while I'm frolicking through fields of grass, but it looks so good that I'm okay with the frame dips.

I'm running a 780 with almost everything turned all the way up (grass is on very high instead of ultra) and I get 50-60 fps in the game. Sometimes it'll dip to 47 or 48 while I'm frolicking through fields of grass, but it looks so good that I'm okay with the frame dips.

Same here. I'm running almost everything on ultra with my 780 at 1080p with solid 60 FPS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Judging by below TXAA causes signficant texture blurring, compared to MSAA

http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/grand-theft-auto-v/grand-theft-auto-v-anti-aliasing-interactive-comparison-1-4x-txaa-vs-8x-msaa.html

e.g. the trees, the red tiled floor or the  roofs amongst other things

I can't think of a single time that I've used TXAA where it hasn't been complete dogshit. It looks even more blurry than FXAA but with the performance hit of MSAA, I really don't understand why anyone would use it.

I get such bizarre stuttering when I drive, its basically made the game unplayable. Anything normal? 55-60FPS no problem under two GTX 660s and a  4690 at stock. But I start driving? LOL, tank to 20. 

I gave up trying to fix the issue. The console version is better for my sanity because at least on that I can just fucking play the game and not worry about dips. Right now I'm on my 2nd round of delete drivers and installing from scratch. Fuck this crap, i just want to play. 

I get such bizarre stuttering when I drive, its basically made the game unplayable. Anything normal? 55-60FPS no problem under two GTX 660s and a  4690 at stock. But I start driving? LOL, tank to 20. 

I gave up trying to fix the issue. The console version is better for my sanity because at least on that I can just fucking play the game and not worry about dips. Right now I'm on my 2nd round of delete drivers and installing from scratch. Fuck this crap, i just want to play. 

Seems a bit similair to what I sometimes had, massive frame freezes sometimes. I at the time tried installing in safe mode with no programs running (don't know if you tried that yet). And ofc use MSI Afterburner to see if something is doing weird stuff (but I presume you already tried that as well)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

A GTX 580 would be fine....i use 1.5GB Vram on my 270X.......

I wish i had 2 GTX 580s in SLI......

The bigger problem for 780 series users is that Nvidia has been neglecting the drivers for them since Maxwell came out. There was a time when a 780 was as fast as an R9 290. But not any more in recent AAA games... planned obsolescence?

I don't know what you're talking about my EVGA 780 is still performing really well in the latest titles with settings maxed

Life.exe is missing

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I feel even more sorry for people, who shelled out for a 780ti (or just a 780). Those cards are powerful enough to deal with these settings, but are vram limited, because NVidia chose to rip off their customers. You really get to see how privileged these hardware reviewers are, getting the latest hardware constantly, as all of them, seems to have completely forgotten about these cards.

The problem is though, that people buy expensive cards, to have for years. All those who bought the 780 series (or even worse, the 770), are screwed in the new games coming out (The Witcher 3 and The Division, should also require a lot of vram). Alas, no one talks about this, because a 700+$ card a year ago, is long forgotten.

Dont feel bad, I warned them over and over that gk110 needed more than 3gb. My sli titans are running 4k with zero issues. No suprise the titan would out live the 780ti.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Or you could try an actual monitor instead, that has DisplayPort? Unless you really need the massive screen size (Barnacules style)

I operate my computer from bed and yes I do indeed need the biggest screen I can afford.

I have a 2 GB 770 and the game runs well on mostly high settings (normal textures).  I'm using normal grass currently to see if that helps in the forested areas.  I love eye-candy as much as anyone but stutter from frame rate drops is more annoying to me.  Rather than upgrade my card, I would like to see where VRR technology goes in two years or so.  Buying an expensive 144 Hz IPS G-Sync monitor seems like a better long-term solution.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Poor 970 owners. It wasn't even that long ago and I remember reading posts that assured no game would EVER come close to saturating its 3.5gb pool for a VERY long while. Imagine the games coming out in a few months.

I couldn't believe how well and smooth gta v runs my now considered old ass computer at pretty much everything maxed out @1080p.  I get at least an average of 45fps and higher depending on the scene.

My rig:

2500k @4.4

Corsair 16gb Vengance 1600mhz

Evga GTX 670SC 4GB Edition (the 4gb really helps a lot)

Toshiga 5TB 7200 HDD

Creative Titanium HD Sound Card

Rockstar truly made a beautiful and optimized game.  The graphics are stunning.  As beautiful Los Santos is, it's missing that gritty dirty atmosphere of Liberty City.  Also,  GTA IV is much funnier with Nico Beleck and his brother Roman.  I would love to play GTA IV with these kinds of graphics without having to install confusing unstable ESB Mods.  

I couldn't believe how well and smooth gta v runs my now considered old ass computer at pretty much everything maxed out @1080p.  I get at least an average of 45fps and higher depending on the scene.

My rig:

2500k @4.4

Corsair 16gb Vengance 1600mhz

Evga GTX 670SC 4GB Edition (the 4gb really helps a lot)

Toshiga 5TB 7200 HDD

Creative Titanium HD Sound Card

Rockstar truly made a beautiful and optimized game.  The graphics are stunning.  As beautiful Los Santos is, it's missing that gritty dirty atmosphere of Liberty City.  Also,  GTA IV is much funnier with Nico Beleck and his brother Roman.  I would love to play GTA IV with these kinds of graphics without having to install confusing unstable ESB Mods.  

But bowling.......you don't have to bowl with Roman in GTA 5!

I don't know what you're talking about my EVGA 780 is still performing really well in the latest titles with settings maxed

"When you say max, i wonder about settings and FPS"

But tbh R9 290 is fast as a GTX 780, one of the reasons that people go for GTX Cards is because of Nvidia's marketing to lure clueless buyers....Nvidia spends a lot of money on marketing, so that's why Nvidia sells more GPUs than AMD/ATi. 

Good. 780 is still a beast card. It's just that kepler has been losing ground. 780ti used to be faster than a 290x. While 780 used to trade blows with 290. But in most of the newer AAA games from latter 2014 and 2015 we often see both these kepler cards losing to the AMD offerings. And so the gap between 970 and 980 is becoming wider still. This doesn't mean kepler is not usable, it just doesn't seen to be getting the same level of game specific driver optimization effort since Maxwell came out. Still good just not as good as it could be...

It seems to me that my 780 GHz Edition is showing its age, or there is a performance decrease after the patches. I cannot run GTA V the way I thought I would be able to. Then again, after the latest patch I noticed that the performance decreased a bit. I had everything on very high, with AA, shadows and advanced graphics turn down a tad and I was able to hold  60 fps. After the patch, on those same settings, it is really laggy, choppy and jerky. Anyone else in the same boat?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

I was just wondering since the game dectects 4gb of vram on the 970 does it give the f***** up portion of it the same priority or uhhhh how does it work!!!! Nvidea why did you screw up so bad!!!!!!!!!!!

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb

The only real drawback of the GTX780 series is the meager 3GB on-board memory, besides the rather hot GPU.