German Court rules that ad-blocking is legal

Source: https://adblockplus.org/blog/restating-the-obvious-adblocking-declared-legal

"The Hamburg judge ruled against the plaintiffs and in favor of Adblock Plus, upholding the right of Adblock Plus users everywhere to continue to block annoying ads and protect their privacy"

Well, not everywhere.. Just anywhere within the courts jurisdiction.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Good for you Germany, for not doing what I expected you to do. :)

Well, not everywhere.. Just anywhere within the courts jurisdiction.

What? Really? Then this is no victory... :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Most of the ad around the internet are malware or virus anyways. 

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Next stop: Kill GEMA.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Kind of agree that its not illegal, but I still dont like it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Glad to hear. This makes sense. This does not negate terms of use agreements that might require the disabling of ad blocking software.

Yes it is. Did you expect a German court ruling to be enforced internationally?

Just another company protecting it's own interests. Adblock has been in the news recently by offering a premium service for advertisers to bypass adblock's screening, a "whitelist" if you will..... So basically this court decision backs adblock's business interests while blocking another company's within this court's slightly limited domain.....Yay adblock.

I thought It'd be better to provide at least one reference rather than be that guys that said that thing....

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02/over-300-businesses-now-whitelisted-on-adblock-plus-10-pay-to-play/

Edited by slightlyjaded

It doesn't really say why the judge favored Adblock. Why isn't it illegal?. I would like to know...

A German court has no effect on Laws / policies or anything else in say the US, Canada, Australia, China.. basically anywhere other than Germany (Perhaps EU, but this was a German court and not an EU one so...)

Just another company protecting it's own interests. Adblock has been in the news recently by offering a premium service for advertisers to bypass adblock's screening, a "whitelist" if you will..... So basically this court decision backs adblock's business interests while blocking another company's within this court's slightly limited domain.....Yay adblock.

I thought It'd be better to provide at least one reference rather than be that guys that said that thing....

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02/over-300-businesses-now-whitelisted-on-adblock-plus-10-pay-to-play/

Blocking ads should be legal. But extorting money for letting ads bypass an adblocker is a dubious business practice. That's just not what this trial was about.

Wow, what a blessing - now I can use adblock without any internal conflicts haunting me in my dreams....

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Glad to hear. This makes sense. This does not negate terms of use agreements that might require the disabling of ad blocking software.

Also this... There are many sites that disable content if they detect the use of ad-blocking software.. If the ad revenue is so important then it's easy to add this in.. Not that ads pay that much unless they are clicked.. and who clicks them really...

Blocking ads should be legal. But extorting money for letting ads bypass an adblocker is a dubious business practice. That's just not what this trial was about.

I agree, merely stating that a news article found on the company's own website is probably going to present said company in a somewhat favorable light while not mentioning their somewhat shady business practices elsewhere.

This is a regional german court. It's the equivalent of a judge in bumfuck idaho saying it's perfectly legal to marry your sister. (and yes that probably warrants my first strike, sorry to anyone living in idaho)

I don't like ads.. But why should it be legal to block them.. people pay to put them there.. You can't block ads on TV, Radio, Billboards, why should the net be different?

Your (generally people on net, not you per say) using someones service that is provided for free as they can earn revenue through ads.. By blocking them your cutting off their revenue and may make the service nonviable.

I for one would prefer ads to no service from some places.. Though there should be a limit and tighter controls on ads IMO.

I don't like ads.. But why should it be legal to block them.. people pay to put them there.. You can't block ads on TV, Radio, Billboards, why should the net be different?

Your (generally people on net, not you per say) using someones service that is provided for free as they can earn revenue through ads.. By blocking them your cutting off their revenue and may make the service nonviable.

I for one would prefer ads to no service from some places.. Though there should be a limit and tighter controls on ads IMO.

You you push the skip ad button on youtube?

I agree, merely stating that a news article found on the company's own website is probably going to present said company in a somewhat favorable light while not mentioning their somewhat shady business practices elsewhere.

This is a regional german court. It's the equivalent of a judge in bumfuck idaho saying it's perfectly legal to marry your sister. (and yes that probably warrants my first strike, sorry to anyone living in idaho)

Here's a third-party article. Pretty clear that the plaintiff's argument was bogus and was shot down by the court. It's possible that a higher court would rule differently, but it doesn't seem likely.

You can block ads on TV and radio all you like. And billboard ads are banned in many areas.

You you push the skip ad button on youtube?

yes but there are other ads on youtube.. If it was the only one I wouldn't.

Here's a third-party article. Pretty clear that the plaintiff's argument was bogus and was shot down by the court. It's possible that a higher court would rule differently, but it doesn't seem likely.

Fair call. The plaintiff argued blocking the adds was illegal because it modified the site. Adblock just pointed out (rightly) that it wasn't modifying the site, merely the feed into the clients computer (at their request)

You can block ads on TV and radio all you like. And billboard ads are banned in many areas.

You can't block TV ads.. you can turn the station over but not block them. Bilboards are very common in some places and not in others.. Thats my point about controlling how many and the content the ads hold.. There needs to be better regulation over ads and their content IMO... But then your getting into net freedoms and such.

A German court has no effect on Laws / policies or anything else in say the US, Canada, Australia, China.. basically anywhere other than Germany (Perhaps EU, but this was a German court and not an EU one so...)

Yes it is. Did you expect a German court ruling to be enforced internationally?

No, of course I don't expect German law to work internationally. I have horribly misunderstood what was said. I thought it meant certain parts of Germany only, not the entire country. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I haven't had sleep in four days. Carry on please. :blush:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Good. I'll allow ads on sites I care about (aka, LTT, JTC (if he even has any), my own shit, and YouTube). Everyone else can bite me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)