Chrome 42 phases out NPAPI, so BF4 is all messed up

TERRA-NOVA

NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) is a plugin that is used by the ESN/Uprise created Battlelog. The plugin causes a lot of issues (source: Google). The plugin has been disabled now, but can be reenabled. By September 2015, it will be completely disabled in Chrome.

This explains why EA (via Uprise) have decided to make a new server browser for SWBF. Not because they want to improve the experience, but because they have to.

What is also amazing is how EA, DICE, and Uprise did nothing about this issue until Chrome 42 was released. The removal of the NPAPI plugin was announced a year ago

Lifehacker and Venturebeat both reported on this. The VB article provides more detail:

"Google today provided an update on its plan to remove Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) from Chrome, which the company says will improve the browser’s security, speed, and stability, as well as reduce complexity in the code base. In short, the latest timeline is as follows: Block all plugins by default in January 2015, disable support in April 2015, and remove support completely in September 2015.

For context, Google first announced in September 2013"

That last bit...

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

InBf4FireFoxMasterRace               even if it is true, lol.

wootwootfirefoxftw

also, wow thats fucking bad... i feel like someone had to have looked at this and thought "hey that seems like something we should handle in the future" and then promptly forgot it.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

It affected any game that uses a browser to start the game, Nexon games are a good example.

Hopefully this will force EA to develop a 64bit Battlelog plugin. I'm using IE to launch BFH at the moment, chrome causes random restarts.

Or maybe it'll encourage them to get rid of Battlelog all together for launching the games, it's a heap of junk.

Waterfox master race.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

wootwootfirefoxftw

also, wow thats fucking bad... i feel like someone had to have looked at this and thought "hey that seems like something we should handle in the future" and then promptly forgot it.

We all have our choices to make. I'm sticking with Chrome, so EA are dealing with that.

Also silberdrachi, lol, i can imagine some exec at EA getting an email about NPAPI, but because he's an exec, he doesn't know what it means...

Besides, NPAPI is a mess and a security risk. Firefox should disable it as well.

It affected any game that uses a browser to start the game, Nexon games are a good example.

You'd think devs would take a little more care about something like this. It implies that they don't really care if people can play their game.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

give us an in-game battlelog and this can all be solved FOREVER... just sayin'

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hopefully this will force EA to develop a 64bit Battlelog plugin. I'm using IE to launch BFH at the moment, chrome causes random restarts.

Or maybe it'll encourage them to get rid of Battlelog all together for launching the games, it's a heap of junk.

Waterfox master race.

64bit isn't necessarily going to fix the problem. IE is your problem lol

They have to get rid of Battlelog, because it's not going to work come september.

I think the big question here is, what's going to happen to BF4. Perhaps EA are going to end support in september, so that we can all get on the SWBF hype train

64bit isn't necessarily going to fix the problem. IE is your problem lol

They have to get rid of Battlelog, because it's not going to work come september.

I think the big question here is, what's going to happen to BF4. Perhaps EA are going to end support in september, so that we can all get on the SWBF hype train

IE serves me better than the system randomly crashing and rebooting when I open a new tab (thanks Chrome).

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

EA's mentality: "Oh, this will make our games not work in about a year? GREAT! Then we can take our sweet fucking time fixing it (if we even consider doing that) and our customers will buy the new game that works! And we didn't even have to shut down the servers this time!"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

IE serves me better than the system randomly crashing and rebooting when I open a new tab (thanks Chrome).

Sounds like a pc issue to me..

They are even removing java support.

God dammnit now I hate chrome. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

As one of my friends said; many plug-ins are outdated and it might be time to move on to better alternatives. And I kind of agree with that, so I don't necessairly have an issue with what Google is doing

Now lets hope that we drop Flash videos in favor of HTML5 sooner rather than later

They are even removing java support.

God dammnit now I hate chrome. 

Nobody likes java.

Everytime i have to install it on something and i see the "Java is installed on billions of devices" image, i think "Yeah, Java is the reason billions of devices got hacked lol"

chrome is starting to piss me off.....they seam to be getting more buggy and are dropping support for things left and right.....looks like i may be switching to firefox

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Good job Google force them to upgrade their software.

Ive been using chrom64 beta 42 for a long time with no issues,and recently it updated to 43 no issues so far except i didnt check BF4 for a while not sure if it works.

Personally I'm still baffled as to why we need a browser based launcher in the first place, JUST DO IT IN THE GAME...

Seriously, I stopped playing my free version of BF cause of that nonsense.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

chrome is starting to piss me off.....they seam to be getting more buggy and are dropping support for things left and right.....looks like i may be switching to firefox

They're dropping support for plugins like NPAPI to prevent bugs.

i really doubt they shut down bf4 or even any game that uses battlelog like MoH:WF, my guess is they probably switch to in game server browser and leave battlelog as a stat tracker, the consoles versions already have it, so its not like they have to develop it from scratch, these games are too popular to get shut down, at most they kill MoH, and even bf3 but the later i really doubt it

or maybe they find out a way too still have battlelog as it is using other things that isn't NPAPI

Waterfox master race.

battlelog has supported 64bit browsers shortly after google update chrome to use 64bit on compatible system, now idk if the plugin they want you to install is still 32bit or has a 64bit version but that plugin either way has supported 64bit browsers for a while, it has worked for me with both chrome and opera, i would try waterfox and IE now if i had the game installed and i don't feel like waiting 3 days just to test that :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

maybe this is the truth behind why battlefront is ditching battlelog for something ALL new , maybe they plan to roll this out game wide 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

maybe this is the truth behind why battlefront is ditching battlelog for something ALL new , maybe they plan to roll this out game wide 

That is exactly why they're making a new server browser. Because Google are the best

Waterfox master race.

Maxthon master race

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 4 months later...

Just in case you didn't know already, battlelog now works pretty well without any plugin. 

I guess they might have gone with a custom URI scheme and let the origin launcher register itself for it, which would in turn be able to launch the bf4 executable, but have not confirmed it though. 

Anyways not sure why they even needed a plugin to begin with. 

They need to just use an in game server browser like.....I dunno, every other game out there? BFBC2 used one, CoD uses one.....what is the point of the web browser launcher?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs