Valve offers refunds for GTA V installation issues

Aniallation

http://www.maximumpc.com/valve_offers_refunds_grand_theft_auto_v_installation_woes_2015

Personally I had no install issues, but I won't really get to play until my 970 arrives from RMA -.-

Some patient PC gamers who waited this long to finally experience Grand Theft Auto V on their platform of choice (Windows PCs) are being asked to wait a little longer, jump through some installation hoops, or receive a refund and move on. At issue is a bug that's preventing GTA V from installing on some Windows PCs. The issue has been confirmed by Valve, and you may have seen a message when firing up Steam.

steam-refund-gtav-673x1024.png

According to Valve, the issue pops up when players with Windows usernames that include non-alphanumeric characters try to download, install, and play GTA V. The game wigs out, leaving gamers lamenting the long wait, only to run into a hurdle on launch day.

The good news is, there's an official fix in the works, though no time frame has been given for its release. And the better news is, you needn't wait for the patch. There's a workaround available.

"If you do not want to wait for a fix, you need to create a new Administrator User Account for your Windows system that only includes letters A to Z, a to Z, or numbers 0-9 from the basic Roman alphabet," Valve explains. "Please note that simply renaming your current User Account not correct the issue."

It's a bit of a hassle, but creating a new Administrator account as outlined above should fix the issue. Alternately, if you don't want to do that and don't want to wait for a fix, Valve is making available a self refund tool that will be live until a fix is released.

"Rawr XD"

Off-Topic: What happened to your GTX 970?

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I KNEW IT I KNEW SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN I KNEW IT I FRECKING NEW IT>>>>>>>>> :D

GET REKT GTA V

Wanna know why this is a good thing?

Battlefild harldne players ganna be back

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Off-Topic: What happened to your GTX 970?

One of the fans was ticking/rattling so sent it in for replacement. 

"Rawr XD"

One of the fans was ticking/rattling so sent it in for replacement. 

Curiosity Served.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I KNEW IT I KNEW SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD HAPPEN I KNEW IT I FRECKING NEW IT>>>>>>>>> :D

GET REKT GTA V

Wanna know why this is a good thing?

Battlefild harldne players ganna be back

Rofl, did everyone leave Hardline to play GTA V? :D The game has been good for me so far other than some odd bugs and a ridiculous menu. In my 24 hours of gameplay so far 23½ of them have been without frustration though. :)

Valve offering refunds?

Wow.

They typically only do that under certain circumstances, namely The WarZ (before they put it back up for sale, because logic) and Earth Year 2066. But yeah, it seems rather unusual for them to offer refunds.

was this not posted awile ago, i feel like it was, but im not going searching

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Anyone who gets the refund is a moron. This game is fucking AMAZEBALLS. I love it. I can't stop playing it.

I mean....if you get a full refund and then later buy it again at a cheaper price... I can understand that. But anyone who doesn't get it at some point, is missing out.

I haven't legit enjoyed a game this much in a long, long, LONG, LONG ass time.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-snip-

I am not paying for mostly just a graphics update. Already bought the game when it came out, would not mind paying $15 or $20 as an upgrade though. Sadly they will never offer that.

Valve offering refunds?

Wow.

they have been offering refunds on preorders for awhile.. it was offered when GTAV kept getting delayed.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i'm surprised steam is offering refunds for that issue, though there's has been games that launch a lot worse and none of this has happened to those game, hell just yesterday it happened with MKX, that issue seemed more widespread that this, maybe they are doing it because R* agreed to it, while others devs say fuck it, though this issues is something that didn't happened with other games, that the issue is a particular windows configuration that breaks the game completely

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The big question here is: Why GTA-V needs your account name?

This also means it gets you account e-mail in Windows 8 and 10.

So without you knowing, Rockstar is stealing people e-mails and full name (name associated with the e-mail).

What is the company doing with that data? Is it for selling or tracking? DRM system?

Good thing I didn't buy the game. And never will until this is clearly explained. This is serious private information security issue.

What is the company doing with that data? Is it for selling or tracking? DRM system?

"What? We aren't stealing your data, we are using it for 'statistics'. Don't worry, just play play the game, you have been waiting for it and love it.  Run along now and don't suspect anything." - Rockstar

So without you knowing, Rockstar is stealing people e-mails and full name (name associated with the e-mail).

Good thing I didn't buy the game. And never will until this is clearly explained. This is serious private information security issue.

Huh good question...

Good thing I didnt get the game...

Might wanna make a thread about this, so people can be informed.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Valve offering refunds?

Wow.

Rockstar telling Valve to refund people*

It's for the DRM.

My guess is it's polling the computer, much like the steam hardware survey does or origin does, to detect when people change their hardware.  But it's not expecting usernames to contain special characters so it's causing unexpected behaviour.

How do you function in life worrying about whether or not your name/email are public?  It's contact info, not top sekrit letters.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

So if I got the game for $30 would I get the full $60 back?? If so,  profit.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Valve offering refunds?

Wow.

Well they did with H1Z1 also. 

Actually is not technically without your knowledge, read the loading screen they do say they will collect your info and publish it on leaderboards.

I do agree that needing your windows username is completely unnecessary, probably someone fucked up at UAC procedures badly.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If they get your name from the Windows account and you install the iFruit companion app on your phone, they have your phone number and email address too. 

I don't understand why the companion app needs all the permissions either.  (Device & app history, Photos/Media files, WiFi connection information)

Sounds like there's some serious data mining going on.

The game is too good, they can have my all the data they want :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii