Time Warner is raising speeds in Charlotte thanks to Google Fiber

Bouzoo

Google Fiber's presence in Charlotte may have pushed cable/broadband company Time Warner Cable into taking action against the threat of losing residential customers to Google by raising the speeds of its current broadband packages without raising the cost. The company calls this upgrade "TWC Maxx," and it will roll out the increased speeds starting this week.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/time-warner-google-fiber-maxx,28920.html#xtor=RSS-998

I'm not form USA but I think this is great. More competition is better.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

And let me guess, this also comes with a requirement for you to accept some ridiculous data caps such that you really cant make use of the faster connection.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

And let me guess, this also comes with a requirement for you to accept some ridiculous data caps such that you really cant make use of the faster connection.

Nope, i'm in the kc area, i'm going from the 50 / 5 to 200 and 20 in the next week or two, I just got my modem replaced to better support the highier speeds, still no data cap or contract

OAS || AAS || LLS

I hope not. I'm in the Charlotte area and that's the sole reason I've been avoiding AT&T. A change from 20Mb down & 2up to 50 Mb would be great, but screw it if they implement data caps.

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

System Name: Rocinante = "workhorse"                                                                                                                                           

I'm sorry but this is disgusting - "Customers who subscribe to Standard, formerly up to 15 Mbps, will now receive up to 50 Mbps; customers who subscribe to Extreme, formerly up to 30 Mbps, will now receive up to 200 Mbps; and customers who subscribe to Ultimate, formerly up to 50 Mbps, will receive up to 300 Mbps, at no extra charge"

Basically holding back their customers.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

What's this? Competition? And here I remember these companies claiming that competition is bad for the market.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What's this? Competition? And here I remember these companies claiming that competition is bad for the market.

I think they meant competition is bad for their wallet.  ;)

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

Even with this speed bump, Time Warner ISP isn't exactly the most angel of companies, like pretty much every other ISP out there in North America. I can't see anybody remaining with them when Google Fibre is implemented.

Just lol.... This means that they have had this capacity before, because they won't have upgraded everything in the last half a year or so. Google is pressuring them to actually use it

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

What they really meant is that it is bad for their pockets.

I'm sorry but this is disgusting - "Customers who subscribe to Standard, formerly up to 15 Mbps, will now receive up to 50 Mbps; customers who subscribe to Extreme, formerly up to 30 Mbps, will now receive up to 200 Mbps; and customers who subscribe to Ultimate, formerly up to 50 Mbps, will receive up to 300 Mbps, at no extra charge"

Basically holding back their customers.

What do you mean? Why?

(which that would happen here, because damn would my ultimate upgrade to 300mbps be awesome free of charge haha)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just lol.... This means that they have had this capacity before, because they won't have upgraded everything in the last half a year or so. Google is pressuring them to actually use it

^^^this.

Also, I hope they also roll out across the country not just Charlottesville. But It won't happen, because they are greedy as shit. :(

- snip-

Another proof there holding back.

Google fiber come to UAE it will be awesome having you.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What they really meant is that it is bad for their pockets.

What do you mean? Why?

(which that would happen here, because damn would my ultimate upgrade to 300mbps be awesome free of charge haha)

Like not bad as in the consumer but bad as teh company; they've had the ability to give their customers higher speed but have denied them that so they can have more money until they needed to compete with another company and have given their customers higher capacity only to retain them as concurrent consumers.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I got this like November,went from 15 to 50.They just put a "filter" so you can get the faster speeds.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

I got this like November,went from 15 to 50.They just put a "filter" so you can get the faster speeds.

there is no "filter" that limits your speed. Who ever said that is wrong.

There is no "filter." They're simply artificially limiting your speeds.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm loving that the cable guy has to make up some bullshit reason to explain to people why their speeds have more than tripled for free.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

It would cripple their service even more as Google Fiber doesn't have data caps.

And then they will throttle traffic which isn't thier services 

To 5 mbps and people will be sad the END.

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400