Experiences with non-techies

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Your definition of "high-end" may not be what I consider as high-end and vice versa. Taking the cpus from our systems, Core i5 6500 vs Xeon E5 1650 v3. To you, that Core i5 is a awesome CPU, but to me it's okay, not bad. And my CPU, to you can be overkill or a total waste. The thing is, your build is yours and my build is mine. Same as that person with his laptop. Each computer has their place for that specific individual, which is why it's called a PC, "Personal" computer. Now if that laptop meets that person's needs, expectations, and he's very satisfied with his purchase, then it's a good laptop. Just don't not let the small things get to you.

For the laptops at retail stores, it's the same thing. The average consumer isn't looking for ultra high-end, they just want something decent and a discrete gpu is better than a igpu. Also the games they might going to play, probably will not be the games you're going to play (Farmville). They also sell actual gaming laptops, they're just at place at their very own section of the store.

And the mobile Core i7, there are two kinds, dual core and quad cores. The difference between that and the mobile Core i5, is Core i7 has more cache.

My friend has a titan x, a i7 6700k and 32 GB of ram (of course there is more but this is keeping it short) and a 1440p 144 hz g-sync monitor. To many people that would be high end, but for some people it would not be high end unless its a 1080/titan xp and a 4k monitor. Depends, i mean i have played on consoles most of my life before jumping over to shitty laptops, a 970 or 1060 paired with cpu and ram that matches would look GODLY to me (never mind how things will look with the build im getting this christmas) but to my friend with the titan x it would be "meh". All about perspective.

I think I might have mentioned this before. Oh well I'll just repeat myself.

-Using internet history as favorites

-Saves important docs in the temp folder or recycle bin

*Switch the position of My Computer and Internet Explorer icon*

Suddenly they forgot how to use the computer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

More like 7 Megabit. The fastest consumer grade internet offered in the US right now is 2Gbps by Comcast and that costs $300.00/month

and in my area its 100mb.. although i get 200mb xD 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Straight out of a forum....

Spoiler

"I just read this article on gamestop that says that the new Nvidia Titan X is the most powerful GPU, but it has 12GB memory and PS4 has 500GB?

Can someone explain this? 

Wouldn't the PS4 be more powerful then?

LMFAO! 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Another time, I was talking with someone about local networks and told him something about 10GBit LAN and then he said "There is no such thing as 10GBit Internet" Lol ? ? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Another time, I was talking with someone about local networks and told him something about 10GBit LAN and then he said "There is no such thing as 10GBit Internet" Lol ? ? 

And everyone in my neighborhood has Shitty Internet 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

And everyone in my neighborhood has Shitty Internet 

LAN is the local network it has nothing to do with Internet speed, that was the joke... You can have 10Gbit LAN with no Internet connection if you want... 

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

hehe no problem, the whole thing was basically; *client's "fault" = big fees, but if it's "defective equipment" = free or low fees*

Officially I'm tier 1 tech support for one branch of a big "business to business" international company, but I also often do tier 2 support since the real tier 2 and tier 3 are in the US (I'm in Canada). I mostly take care of sales reps ... not the most knowledgeable people in the world when it comes to tech! lol

Ah.  That makes sense to charge people for wasting tech support time.  It's debatable what may constitute that but to be sure not bothering to make sure a cord was plugged in counts.

Too bad I can't get money every time I have to correct a non-techie thing someone in my family says.  If I did I'd be rather wealthy.  ?

Just the other day my brother said the GPU in his 2015 MacBook Pro was good just because it is a 2GB card...  

Hopefully those techs don't make your life too difficult.  lol

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  That makes sense to charge people for wasting tech support time.  It's debatable what may constitute that but to be sure not bothering to make sure a cord was plugged in counts.

Too bad I can't get money every time I have to correct a non-techie thing someone in my family says.  If I did I'd be rather wealthy.  ?

Just the other day my brother said the GPU in his 2015 MacBook Pro was good just because it is a 2GB card...  

Hopefully those techs don't make your life too difficult.  lol

C'mon... 2GB cards are entry-level these days!

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

6 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

1GB cards?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1GB cards?

Super low end. 

15 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Apparently a crap 2GB AMD mobile GPU counts as MBP level to Apple.  lol

(It's crap because whatever it is the card is rather weak not simply because it's got 2GB of VRAM.)

For a $3000 USD laptop the way my brother configured it there's no excuse to have such a weak GPU even for a laptop.

Given that the new Nvidia and AMD GPUs have at least 4GB if I'm not mistaken I'd consider 4GB to be more entry level.  At least for desktops to be sure.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Apparently a crap 2GB AMD mobile GPU counts as MBP level to Apple.  lol

Given that the new Nvidia and AMD GPUs have at least 4GB if I'm not mistaken I'd consider 4GB to be more entry level.  At least for desktops to be sure.  

>4gb 380

:( 

3 minutes ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Super low end. 

Extremely high end in 2006

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

>4gb 380

:( 

Extremely high end in 2006

I'm confused..  What are you saying about a 380?

I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs to be honest.

*Computer was infected with all kinds of nasty junk*

*Clean install is the faster option, first need to back up files*

*Opens My Documents folder and only sees 5 excel files*

There is only 5 Excel files in your document folder

No, I have a lot more, I have hundreds, thousands!

*search through entire drive, not there*

There are no more Excel files, just those 5. It's a possibility, the virus deleted most of it.

Oh great, I lost basically all my files.

Yeah...

Okay with those 5 Excel files, let's open each one quickly to make sure they're okay. Is it okay to open your Excel files?

Open this one *points to it*

*Opens Excel file*

My files, there they are, you found it!

What?

My files, it's all there!

What files, this is just a single Excel file we've just opened.

No, here are all my files!

*Looks at the Excel and realized, what he's talking about*

Each row of text, to him is a file. -_-

*Backup his 5 Excel files and explained those entries cannot be counted as individual files*

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Straight out of a forum....

Hide contents

"I just read this article on gamestop that says that the new Nvidia Titan X is the most powerful GPU, but it has 12GB memory and PS4 has 500GB?

Can someone explain this? 

Wouldn't the PS4 be more powerful then?

LMFAO! 

I remember seeing that before. I believe it's been posted on this thread before but whatever, I'm sure there's a few guys here that haven't seen it yet!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I have a few examples:

My mother seems to think that installing virtual machines and dual boots can and I quote, "Cause the processor to run out of storage."

My father seems to think that installing a program is signing your life away.

My sister couldn't figure out why her laptop wasn't outputting volume while watching YouTube.  I proceeded to turn the laptop's volume on.

My grandfather can't even navigate Windows 10 properly. 

1 minute ago, Hayden104 said:

I have a few examples:

My mother seems to think that installing virtual machines and dual boots can and I quote, "Cause the processor to run out of storage."

My father seems to think that installing a program is signing your life away.

My sister couldn't figure out why her laptop wasn't outputting volume while watching YouTube.  I proceeded to turn the laptop's volume on.

My grandfather can't even navigate Windows 10 properly. 

1) It might cause the processor to run out of cores?

2) Well you could be, depending on what the EULA says

3) Maybe she's blind or has really bad vision

4) Maybe he's never used a computer before

Obviously I'm nitpicking. These are pretty decent stories.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

1) It might cause the processor to run out of cores?

2) Well you could be, depending on what the EULA says

3) Maybe she's blind or has really bad vision

4) Maybe he's never used a computer before

Obviously I'm nitpicking. These are pretty decent stories.

For #1 maybe that can apply for virtual machines but definitely not dual boots! For dual boots it might be for storage but is completely unrelated to the CPU!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 05/02/2014 at 0:16 AM, ChillKyle said:

I hate it when people say the monitor is different from the screen. *Facepalm*

It is different. Screen is just the panel with no electronics, but monitor is screen with all electronics and a case. 

On 13/08/2016 at 9:02 AM, AluminiumTech said:

No but An R9 M290X  is about as good as an R9 380,

soo he payed 2500$ for the performance of my pc

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just posted on the forum 10 min ago, we are techies, not goddamn wizards. At least he is polite.

Spoiler

Hi everyone I am a small YouTuber that needs a new computer to record Minecraft and csgo 60 FPS Max when recording and here's the kicker the system has to be under $200 I already have the monitor and a Windows key I got it Best Buy but the computer itself whether it be Intel or not has to run Minecraft and csgo while recording Minecraft to run at 30fps that's fine but csgo I would like 60 if that's possible, Thank you so much for the replies I look forward to reading them thank you. Have a great day

18 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

Just posted on the forum 10 min ago, we are techies, not goddamn wizards. At least he is polite.

Hide contents

ik i saw that is waaay to impossible, unless like he goes ful used from like the past decade.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

ik i saw that is waaay to impossible, unless like he goes ful used from like the past decade.

actually all he needs is a combo

motherboard + cpu (igpu) + psu + free hdd from somewhere = ezpz

screw cases. ;) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Yeah, there was a dude that said he could get a q6600 and a motherboard with 4/8 gigs of ram for a 100 dollars and then get a cheap gpu and a used case and psu. Even then with such a low end cpu the rendering times would be abysmal and editing properly also a pain in the ass.