Experiences with non-techies

Hi guys I've got an issue with my rig. I have an i7 4790k stock 4.0 with a EVGA 1070 FTW @ Stock, 16gbs ddr3 ram nothing fancy. I am trying to overclock it, and whenever I pull up valley bench, it sits around 1100 mhz, the card specs say it should be 1607 base & 1797 boost. Every video i've seen shows the cards on full load at 1800mhz and they begin to overclock from that point. they have 80+ fps average of 100. So, i'm confused as to why i'm sitting at around 1100 mhz, not topped out ready to overclock and reasons as to why I could be at 10-30 fps on stock w/valley, any thoughts? 

1 minute ago, NoobPSIbot said:

Hi guys I've got an issue with my rig. I have an i7 4790k stock 4.0 with a EVGA 1070 FTW @ Stock, 16gbs ddr3 ram nothing fancy. I am trying to overclock it, and whenever I pull up valley bench, it sits around 1100 mhz, the card specs say it should be 1607 base & 1797 boost. Every video i've seen shows the cards on full load at 1800mhz and they begin to overclock from that point. they have 80+ fps average of 100. So, i'm confused as to why i'm sitting at around 1100 mhz, not topped out ready to overclock and reasons as to why I could be at 10-30 fps on stock w/valley, any thoughts? 

Hi,

This is the wrong place to post this. Instead, you should probably make a new topic here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

Just make a topic there asking people for help on your GPU having very low clock speeds and I'm sure somebody will help you out in no time. :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Hi,

This is the wrong place to post this. Instead, you should probably make a new topic here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

Just make a topic there asking people for help on your GPU having very low clock speeds and I'm sure somebody will help you out in no time. :) 

Thanks man! 

25 minutes ago, NoobPSIbot said:

Thanks man! 

No problem!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

macs are extremely bad for techies.

I agree with that - I kept on having issues with the macs at my old school not doing half the stuff I needed them to do.

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

On 7/31/2016 at 5:57 PM, cummerou1 said:

"Less popular fetish" what the hell is that? You want the ladies to use a gtx 1080 instead of a dildo? "Oh yeah, put those 9 teraflops of performance inside of you, i want to see you explode like an fps counter with 4 way sli".

Genuine LOL.

6 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

It's fair, here it's not common knowledge anyway, none of my family members really know any of that. Take China as an example, it's a developing country and what the majority of people fail to realize is that it's not the China we collectively "remember" from 15-20 years ago. Yes there are still millions of VERY poor people, but even if 1% falls into our equivalent of the "upper-middle class" (I'm just saying that as an example, I really don't know the real numbers), with a population of 1.3 billions, that still 13 million people that have enough money to buy tons of expensive gadgets!

Also, their family unit (at least in the Middle-east and Asia) is very different from ours, having the grand-parents, parents and childs all under 1 roof is the norm there. So all these people under 1 roof frees up money they would have otherwise spend (only 1 rent/mortgage and other various bills to pay). That's across all classes, so the better the family does, the more money they can save and then spend it on "status symbols" ... while here we see it as either "showing off" or "waste of money" (like having a BMW, a Macbook, an iPad and an iPhone when you're a simple store clerk).

And it's normal here in my area

and Apple products and expensive laptops are status symbols :) 

suburbia is full of Chinese people also

1 hour ago, ATouchOfKiwi said:

I agree with that - I kept on having issues with the macs at my old school not doing half the stuff I needed them to do.

How about G5's running leopard and C2D running slow leopard? :D 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

19 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The first desktop my family ever owned was some old Mac desktop so I started on MacOS when I was very young.  But I've used Windows for years since middle school with no trouble.

Office 365 is a scam by MS to squeeze more money out of people who don't know better.

Even older versions of MS office are still perfectly fine to use even now.  I'm still using ms word, PowerPoint, excel 2007 with no trouble at all.  The only reason to buy new copies of ms office is if you need additional computer authorizations available. 

Who or what is Gaben?

Apple is certainly a cult.  

GODDAMN HEATHEN!

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

This isn't non-techie but it's still hilarious... Man, criminals can be stupid!

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/253829-true-stories-of-stupid-people/

EDIT: This, oh god....

(I work at a concession stand in my school. A person walks in that I have never seen before.)

Customer: “Hey, I’m blind; what do you sell? You’ll have to read it off to me.”

Me: “Oh, okay. Well, we sell hot dogs, nachos, assorted sodas, and candy.”

Customer: “All right. I’ll take one of those hot dogs, and I see you sell pizza. Why’d you leave that out?”

Me: *I left it out because we ran out but I’m confused because he saw it* “Um, we don’t have anymore… I’m sorry, but did you say you SAW it?”

Customer: “Doubting a customer? How rude to treat me! I’m bringing my business elsewhere!”

Me: *to coworker* “This is why I can’t with people sometimes.”

Customer: “What was that? I heard that? Do I need to get a manager involved?”

Manager: *heard the whole thing* “Sir, I think you should, in fact, take your business elsewhere.”

Customer: “Fine! This isn’t the last you’ve seen of me!”

(We haven’t seen him since.)

Why would you even say you are blind when you are not?

2 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

Why would you even say you are blind when you are not?

Legally blind? I'm getting there. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Legally blind? I'm getting there. 

Well if he could SEE that they sold pizza then he was not blind enough for them having to say what they were selling, and therefore he had no reason to say he was blind. I mean even if you were legally blind if you could see what was on a sign, why would you tell someone they would have to read it out to you because you were blind? You being blind only makes sense to tell people if you can´t see shit, and that dude obviously could see.

1 minute ago, Whosonicus said:

I'm tempted to try this.....

he says its free and no virus.

yeah downloadram or something .com. i use it for pranking some idiots

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2 minutes ago, Whosonicus said:

hopefully you do know that u cant downlaod ram

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

2 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

hopefully you do know that u cant downlaod ram

Can u punch it?     Yes: Hardware

No: Software

(u can try punching the software but u would be punching the monitor...)

Just now, Whosonicus said:

hahaha lol yeah, that is a good way to explain

Build

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Whosonicus said:

You can punch the hdd and fuck up the data inside. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

"Apple just works"

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 hours ago, themctipers said:

You can punch the hdd and fuck up the data inside. 

Then you are still punching the HDD, thats like saying if you punch a carton of milk you are punching the milk, no, you are punching the carton the milk is in. Sure you might break the carton and fuck up the milk inside, but you are not ever hitting/touching the milk. If im hitting your house with my fists and you are inside then i am not hitting you, im hitting the house. If i hit your house with a wrecking ball i am still hitting the house, sure the house may collapse and you then die, but i never once touched you, only your house.

This is from talesfromtechsupport. "Is the cable plugged in?" is the title. Don't want to be a jerk (don't wanna break rule Infinity on there). This was written by Techkman. Here is it:

Spoiler

The following happened roughly 5 years ago, I now had two whole months of actual experience (read I was beginning to doubt the end users honesty 99% of the time and started using my brain rather than my books).

We had just moved $corp to a new building and summer was around the corner. It was hot, noisy (sound blocking walls hadn’t been set up yet) and I was still learning how certain systems and houses of $corp functioned (or didn’t in a lot of cases).

Now before we get to this specific tale you need to know some details about $corp.

As mentioned in the previous tale $corp takes care of mentally handicapped people of all ages and in almost all forms. This means some only have ADD and have behavior issues who attend to their school like facilities and the sort. Whilst others might be severely handicapped and unable to care for themselves.

As such they have care homes with caretakers whom are often completely oblivious to anything that resembles technology, this includes but is not limited to: phones, camera doorbells, computers and such difficult words as “monitor”.

Today’s participants are:
$Me (coffee addict extraordinaire who cares too much what others think of him)
$FC (Female caretaker of clients with a bit of an anger management history)
$FCM (Her husband not an employee from $corp and seemingly suffering the same anger issues)
$SYSL (A senior system admin who happened to be my neighbor at the time)
$TMLD (Teamleader of the entire IT department, nice bloke whom fled the sinking ship that is $corp just in time)
With the above out of the way:

It was a regular working day, summer had kicked in but the AC was holding us intact at the main office. Co-workers had vacation and we on the servicedesk things were running on a skeleton crew when the phone rang.

$me: Hello you’ve reached $corp’s servicedesk, Techk speaking. How can I be of assistance?
$FC: I’m $FC from @home, I need a mechanic from #othercompany here asap.

Now I’ve heard of #othercompany and I know that they manage the monitoring equipment in some of the houses, generally they’re really expensive to call out especially on short notice.

$me: Alright, I can do that for you but I need to know what for, did you make a ticket yet or have you contacted us earlier today?
$FC: Now listen here, this system is important I don’t have time for this!
$me: ma’am I understand your frustration and urgency but I can’t simply call down a mechanic from #othercompany seeing as they’re charging quite a bit for unneeded call-outs.
$FC: So just because it costs money you won’t fix it?
$me: No ma’am, I will call them down if it is deemend necessary, but thus far all I know is that you seem to have an issue with the machine or the system. How about you tell me what’s wrong and maybe I can help you here and now.
$FC: I doubt it but fine, the machine is always on when I come in. Today it was off, it won’t start no matter how many times I press the buttons. We need this system to monitor the client’s 24/7.
$me: I understand, what type of machine is it, is it our standard HP 8000 model?
$FC: How am I to know that?!
$me: On the box there should be an object number, PC-XXXXX could you tell me what the number is?

The CMDB was filled with machines all neatly and (unfortunately) manually numbered, PC, LT, PT and SV for Desktop PC, Laptop, Printer and Server respectively.

$FC: I don’t see a sticker, label or anything, you’re wasting my time! Just call #othercompany!!
$me: Ma’am, again, I understand your concerns but please co-operate with me, it’ll make this go faster for the both of us and if I cannot resolve it then I will call down a mechanic.

Deafening silence which I took as a que to just keep going.

$me: Alright, please check the cables running from the PC to the wall, there should be 2 at least one is a thicker one ending in the wall outlet the other the other should be an internet cable going into the same socket the phone goes into.
$FC: Those are in.
$me: Okay, could you check if the cable running from the machine to the screen is in and that the bolts are screwed in, it should be 2 blue connectors.

VGA FOR EVERYTHING~

$FC: I already checked all these!
$me: Ma’am, please just check the cables.
$FC: No, and I’m not having this bull anymore! Call the mechanic now!!
$me: Look $FC, raising your voice and demanding things won’t work, please try to remain calm.

Following that there’s some shuffling over the line, it sounded like the phone was being passed around when her husband spoke.

$FCM: Listen here you little $#!&, if my wife says she’s done something she has!
screams internally
$me: Sir, please calm down, screaming at me is not going to fix the machine in front of you.
$FCM: Well then get the &*#ing mechanic down here!

It is here that the pen I was playing with started snapping, I hadn’t noticed I was trying to break it. Everyone else on the floor did seeing as it was a large open (relatively quiet) space and a sudden CRACK kinda drew attention to me.

$me: Fine shaking voice out of simmering rage sir, please pass me back to your partner and I’ll register the location and machine.

I can hear mumbling in the background as the phone is doing the chair dance again.

$FC: You IT guys are terrible, a poor woman like me can’t even get anything done without having to put my husband on the phone… so when is the mechanic coming, you’re taking time off from my personal time.

I’ve now noticed how intensely grating her voice is and I’m trying my best not to snap the pen in four pieces at this point, praise be for the maker of pens. Best stress relief ever.

$me: Please pass me your location ID, room number, site phone number and zip code and I will call #othercompany.
$FC: It’s @askeddetails, ask the mechanic to come right now! I don’t want to have to sit between the clients… they creep me out.

You disgusting human filth. You get payed to take care of those who can’t for themselves and all you want to do is sit in your little glass room all day watching them from a monitor at best? Omnissiah forbid you’d have to sit between the people you supposedly care for. Or worse, if one happens to choke in something or other you’d have to touch them, no we wouldn’t want that now would we… this is why I like machines more than people.

$me: If I have them come down right now it’ll cost €500 if it turns out to be a unneeded call-down, are you 100% positive you want a mechanic for #system from #othercompany?
$FC: Just hurry up, this is such a $#!* support service you’re giving, who’s your manager?!
$me: That would be $TMLD, I’ll pass him a request to call you when he’s available.
$FC: You do that!

And then the phone got slammed down. At this point 2 very strong feelings were going through me.
On one end I want to hurt something now, quite badly at that. On the other end a machine might be malfunctioning and I know jack except for where it’s positioned in the country. I’m screwed.
I walk over to the system administrators and I can feel the adrenaline still coursing through me, I really get offended to easily and I still care too much about issues even though I can’t always help.

$me: $SYSL, can you pass me a form and the phone number for #othercompany’s emergency maintenance service, also do you know where $TMLD is?
$SYSL: Yeah we sort of noticed something was up, come with me we’ll walk to $TMLD and you can fill me in underway.

We took the long way to $TMLD to refill on much needed coffee, I’m a druggy for the stuff and he knows. When we got to $TMLD’s small hole in the wall he calls an office $SYSL was informed fully and told me “not to sweat it”. Despite his words I was sweating buckets cause I fucked up royally in my mind’s eye.

$SYSL: $TMLD, $Techk here just had a run in with a bit of a problem customer, can we talk?

He waves us in, $SYSL refills my coffee whilst I talk and I felt like being at the freaking principles office… the glass walls made of well had been sheer plasteel coming in to crush me. Or at least, that’s how I felt, in reality I turned out to be in a whole lot less trouble then I figured and no-one was actually angry at me. That was a first (shitty childhood).

$TMLD: So let me get this straight before we do anything, you (me) asked them to check their equipment and they started raising their voice, swearing etc?
$me: Yes sir.
$TMLD: And you were unable to make a proper diagnosis of #system?
$me: Unfortunately sir.
$TMLD: Right and cut the Sir, I’m not that old. Just call me $TMLD.
$SYSL: pleasantries aside we should call #othercompany and have them come down, she agreed to the costs if it’s a false alarm. Plus it sounded like a less then pleasant person anyways, might as well give them their medicine.
$TMLD: True enough, $Techk, I’ll call her manager and ask for them to address their workers, incident aside this is no way to speak to co-workers regardless of the importance or time pressure. $SYSL, you call #othercompany and have it dealt with then.

We all agreed and walked off, $SYSL gave me another coffee and started chatting about Diablo and WoW. The working day was almost over so I was told to just go home early and unwind.

Skip ahead to two days later, for the aftermath:
I’m mashing away at my keyboard at the same ticket I have been for the past 3 months and which might be the next story “No I will not come over to #location to check out your damn PS3, we service machines not client gameconsoles”, when $SYSL walks over with the biggest grin ever on his face.

$SYSL: Hey, #othercompany just called.
$me: Keh?
$SYSL: You asked them to check the VGA cable right?
$me: Yeah why… wait, no they didn’t did they.
$SYSL: Yup, she gave you an earful but the VGA cable wasn’t bolted in so it simply dropped out of the monitor. The mechanic from #othercompany billed them the 500 + expenses for the time and diesel.
$me: Ouwch.
$SYSL: Want to know something even better, $TMLD called the manager right? Well turns out she had been on a warning list for explosive behavior.
$me: Grand.
$SYSL: You did good.

TLDR: when someone ask to check cables, please do and do not yell at your IT, they will snap pens and pencils who can’t help that they were born as an inanimate objects into this world.

The only thing i don't agree is PAYING 500$ TO FIX A MONITOR??? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

40 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

only thing i don't agree is PAYING 500$ TO FIX A MONITOR??? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

It's actually 500+ expense because it's a "false-alarm". Pretty reasonable IMO, that's why you listen to IT and check twice.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Recently, my dad and me built a computer for my mom because her old one would not start up. We put the hard drive from her old PC into the new one as a secondary drive and installed Windows 10 on the SSD. When mom first started the computer, it booted off of the corrupt install of Windows 7 on the HDD. She freaked out and started spewing nonsense about how "a virus had stolen her personal info" and stuff. When we explained that the boot order had gotten changed and that it was just booting off a corrupt install, she didn't understand. So we had to waste an hour explaining it to her.

I'll post another story about my Grandpa having a virus later.

IT'S A PRANK BRO!!!

Intel Core Duo T2300E / 1.66 GHz

512 MB DDR2 SRAM

60 GB HDD

Intel GMA 950

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

This is from talesfromtechsupport. "Is the cable plugged in?" is the title. Don't want to be a jerk (don't wanna break rule Infinity on there). This was written by Techkman. Here is it:

Hide contents

The following happened roughly 5 years ago, I now had two whole months of actual experience (read I was beginning to doubt the end users honesty 99% of the time and started using my brain rather than my books).

We had just moved $corp to a new building and summer was around the corner. It was hot, noisy (sound blocking walls hadn’t been set up yet) and I was still learning how certain systems and houses of $corp functioned (or didn’t in a lot of cases).

Now before we get to this specific tale you need to know some details about $corp.

As mentioned in the previous tale $corp takes care of mentally handicapped people of all ages and in almost all forms. This means some only have ADD and have behavior issues who attend to their school like facilities and the sort. Whilst others might be severely handicapped and unable to care for themselves.

As such they have care homes with caretakers whom are often completely oblivious to anything that resembles technology, this includes but is not limited to: phones, camera doorbells, computers and such difficult words as “monitor”.

Today’s participants are:
$Me (coffee addict extraordinaire who cares too much what others think of him)
$FC (Female caretaker of clients with a bit of an anger management history)
$FCM (Her husband not an employee from $corp and seemingly suffering the same anger issues)
$SYSL (A senior system admin who happened to be my neighbor at the time)
$TMLD (Teamleader of the entire IT department, nice bloke whom fled the sinking ship that is $corp just in time)
With the above out of the way:

It was a regular working day, summer had kicked in but the AC was holding us intact at the main office. Co-workers had vacation and we on the servicedesk things were running on a skeleton crew when the phone rang.

$me: Hello you’ve reached $corp’s servicedesk, Techk speaking. How can I be of assistance?
$FC: I’m $FC from @home, I need a mechanic from #othercompany here asap.

Now I’ve heard of #othercompany and I know that they manage the monitoring equipment in some of the houses, generally they’re really expensive to call out especially on short notice.

$me: Alright, I can do that for you but I need to know what for, did you make a ticket yet or have you contacted us earlier today?
$FC: Now listen here, this system is important I don’t have time for this!
$me: ma’am I understand your frustration and urgency but I can’t simply call down a mechanic from #othercompany seeing as they’re charging quite a bit for unneeded call-outs.
$FC: So just because it costs money you won’t fix it?
$me: No ma’am, I will call them down if it is deemend necessary, but thus far all I know is that you seem to have an issue with the machine or the system. How about you tell me what’s wrong and maybe I can help you here and now.
$FC: I doubt it but fine, the machine is always on when I come in. Today it was off, it won’t start no matter how many times I press the buttons. We need this system to monitor the client’s 24/7.
$me: I understand, what type of machine is it, is it our standard HP 8000 model?
$FC: How am I to know that?!
$me: On the box there should be an object number, PC-XXXXX could you tell me what the number is?

The CMDB was filled with machines all neatly and (unfortunately) manually numbered, PC, LT, PT and SV for Desktop PC, Laptop, Printer and Server respectively.

$FC: I don’t see a sticker, label or anything, you’re wasting my time! Just call #othercompany!!
$me: Ma’am, again, I understand your concerns but please co-operate with me, it’ll make this go faster for the both of us and if I cannot resolve it then I will call down a mechanic.

Deafening silence which I took as a que to just keep going.

$me: Alright, please check the cables running from the PC to the wall, there should be 2 at least one is a thicker one ending in the wall outlet the other the other should be an internet cable going into the same socket the phone goes into.
$FC: Those are in.
$me: Okay, could you check if the cable running from the machine to the screen is in and that the bolts are screwed in, it should be 2 blue connectors.

VGA FOR EVERYTHING~

$FC: I already checked all these!
$me: Ma’am, please just check the cables.
$FC: No, and I’m not having this bull anymore! Call the mechanic now!!
$me: Look $FC, raising your voice and demanding things won’t work, please try to remain calm.

Following that there’s some shuffling over the line, it sounded like the phone was being passed around when her husband spoke.

$FCM: Listen here you little $#!&, if my wife says she’s done something she has!
screams internally
$me: Sir, please calm down, screaming at me is not going to fix the machine in front of you.
$FCM: Well then get the &*#ing mechanic down here!

It is here that the pen I was playing with started snapping, I hadn’t noticed I was trying to break it. Everyone else on the floor did seeing as it was a large open (relatively quiet) space and a sudden CRACK kinda drew attention to me.

$me: Fine shaking voice out of simmering rage sir, please pass me back to your partner and I’ll register the location and machine.

I can hear mumbling in the background as the phone is doing the chair dance again.

$FC: You IT guys are terrible, a poor woman like me can’t even get anything done without having to put my husband on the phone… so when is the mechanic coming, you’re taking time off from my personal time.

I’ve now noticed how intensely grating her voice is and I’m trying my best not to snap the pen in four pieces at this point, praise be for the maker of pens. Best stress relief ever.

$me: Please pass me your location ID, room number, site phone number and zip code and I will call #othercompany.
$FC: It’s @askeddetails, ask the mechanic to come right now! I don’t want to have to sit between the clients… they creep me out.

You disgusting human filth. You get payed to take care of those who can’t for themselves and all you want to do is sit in your little glass room all day watching them from a monitor at best? Omnissiah forbid you’d have to sit between the people you supposedly care for. Or worse, if one happens to choke in something or other you’d have to touch them, no we wouldn’t want that now would we… this is why I like machines more than people.

$me: If I have them come down right now it’ll cost €500 if it turns out to be a unneeded call-down, are you 100% positive you want a mechanic for #system from #othercompany?
$FC: Just hurry up, this is such a $#!* support service you’re giving, who’s your manager?!
$me: That would be $TMLD, I’ll pass him a request to call you when he’s available.
$FC: You do that!

And then the phone got slammed down. At this point 2 very strong feelings were going through me.
On one end I want to hurt something now, quite badly at that. On the other end a machine might be malfunctioning and I know jack except for where it’s positioned in the country. I’m screwed.
I walk over to the system administrators and I can feel the adrenaline still coursing through me, I really get offended to easily and I still care too much about issues even though I can’t always help.

$me: $SYSL, can you pass me a form and the phone number for #othercompany’s emergency maintenance service, also do you know where $TMLD is?
$SYSL: Yeah we sort of noticed something was up, come with me we’ll walk to $TMLD and you can fill me in underway.

We took the long way to $TMLD to refill on much needed coffee, I’m a druggy for the stuff and he knows. When we got to $TMLD’s small hole in the wall he calls an office $SYSL was informed fully and told me “not to sweat it”. Despite his words I was sweating buckets cause I fucked up royally in my mind’s eye.

$SYSL: $TMLD, $Techk here just had a run in with a bit of a problem customer, can we talk?

He waves us in, $SYSL refills my coffee whilst I talk and I felt like being at the freaking principles office… the glass walls made of well had been sheer plasteel coming in to crush me. Or at least, that’s how I felt, in reality I turned out to be in a whole lot less trouble then I figured and no-one was actually angry at me. That was a first (shitty childhood).

$TMLD: So let me get this straight before we do anything, you (me) asked them to check their equipment and they started raising their voice, swearing etc?
$me: Yes sir.
$TMLD: And you were unable to make a proper diagnosis of #system?
$me: Unfortunately sir.
$TMLD: Right and cut the Sir, I’m not that old. Just call me $TMLD.
$SYSL: pleasantries aside we should call #othercompany and have them come down, she agreed to the costs if it’s a false alarm. Plus it sounded like a less then pleasant person anyways, might as well give them their medicine.
$TMLD: True enough, $Techk, I’ll call her manager and ask for them to address their workers, incident aside this is no way to speak to co-workers regardless of the importance or time pressure. $SYSL, you call #othercompany and have it dealt with then.

We all agreed and walked off, $SYSL gave me another coffee and started chatting about Diablo and WoW. The working day was almost over so I was told to just go home early and unwind.

Skip ahead to two days later, for the aftermath:
I’m mashing away at my keyboard at the same ticket I have been for the past 3 months and which might be the next story “No I will not come over to #location to check out your damn PS3, we service machines not client gameconsoles”, when $SYSL walks over with the biggest grin ever on his face.

$SYSL: Hey, #othercompany just called.
$me: Keh?
$SYSL: You asked them to check the VGA cable right?
$me: Yeah why… wait, no they didn’t did they.
$SYSL: Yup, she gave you an earful but the VGA cable wasn’t bolted in so it simply dropped out of the monitor. The mechanic from #othercompany billed them the 500 + expenses for the time and diesel.
$me: Ouwch.
$SYSL: Want to know something even better, $TMLD called the manager right? Well turns out she had been on a warning list for explosive behavior.
$me: Grand.
$SYSL: You did good.

TLDR: when someone ask to check cables, please do and do not yell at your IT, they will snap pens and pencils who can’t help that they were born as an inanimate objects into this world.

The only thing i don't agree is PAYING 500$ TO FIX A MONITOR??? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

I just hope that lady got fired or something.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Whosonicus said:

If you really want to, make a virtual machine... I mean it has a file called commn.trojan....

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler