Experiences with non-techies

also, the Nexus 6 and 5x are kinda close when you look at the benchmarks. But the 6 is much better if they are at the same price. Though I would totally agree to pay a small premium for the 6, simply because it has more RAM, I have a 2GB RAM phone and it would feel better with more.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

also, the Nexus 6 and 5x are kinda close when you look at the benchmarks. But the 6 is much better if they are at the same price. Though I would totally agree to pay a small premium for the 6, simply because it has more RAM, I have a 2GB RAM phone and it would feel better with more.

Well, my bro just upgraded from a Note 3 to a Nexus 5X, while the first one has more RAM, the second one is much much better.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

On 8/12/2016 at 8:52 PM, SLAYR said:

Maybe they just want to look at it.

She was looking at it :P

"Anything that could one day be is as real as what I'm saying
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way"

-John Frusciante

18 minutes ago, arvark said:

Well, my bro just upgraded from a Note 3 to a Nexus 5X, while the first one has more RAM, the second one is much much better.

re-read what I said, performance wise, the 6 and 5x are almost neck to neck ... so yeah, first choice is performance, but when it's similar performance, then I would choose the one with more RAM.

3 hours ago, RahulR said:

So you're telling me a Snapdragon 805 (Quad 2.7) and 3GBs of RAM is worse than a Snapdragon 808 (Dual 1.8 and Quad 1.4) and 2GBs of RAM? I don't understand the level of fanboy-ism in this post.

wat.png

In single-threaded performance the 805 is worse. These two cpus are based on completely different architectures you know.  The 805 is based on krait whereas the 808 utilizes arm cortex-a53s and a57s (with the a57 being the more powerful 1.8ghz bunch). In single threaded performance the 808 actually wins, though in multi-threaded the 805 usually wins. The 6 does have more ram but the 808 is a better cpu (most smartphone apps are more single threaded) so it kinda depends. Imo 5x vs 6 is preference-if you prefer smaller phones 5x is better; if you like bigger phones the 6 is better. Not sure what you are referring to when you are talking about fanboy-ism though... 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

some tech forums with things like

"I want to build a xyz pc with $to low budget help me"
"is part X good enough to do thing Y?"
"Can I make a xyz pc without money?"
"Does anyone have free spare parts for me?"
While the forums have dedicated area's for that stuff.
My second example is the most annoying(to me) since it's a generation that can use google for school, but cant use it for that type of stuff.

ohh wait...

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

3 hours ago, SLAYR said:

How is this fanboyism?

This guy just wants to know which phone works better.

As I don't follow phone tech. I would have the same level of confusion and most likely go for the newer one just because it is newer knowing nothing about specs.

There is a lot of fanboy-ism for the 5X and 6P in the Google+ Android community. The 6P I would've understood, it was pretty much the best phone out when it came out, but the 5X, not so much. He's asking which performs better, and it's obviously the Nexus 6. When casting a vote, you should at least do some research.

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

In single-threaded performance the 805 is worse. These two cpus are based on completely different architectures you know.  The 805 is based on krait whereas the 808 utilizes arm cortex-a53s and a57s (with the a57 being the more powerful 1.8ghz bunch). In single threaded performance the 808 actually wins, though in multi-threaded the 805 usually wins. The 6 does have more ram but the 808 is a better cpu (most smartphone apps are more single threaded) so it kinda depends. Imo 5x vs 6 is preference-if you prefer smaller phones 5x is better; if you like bigger phones the 6 is better. Not sure what you are referring to when you are talking about fanboy-ism though... 

I explained it in another reply:

2 minutes ago, RahulR said:

There is a lot of fanboy-ism for the 5X and 6P in the Google+ Android community.

You people complaining about ram

meanwhile I can have ~5 apps loaded into ram and ready to use :P with 2gb 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

My brother, "I can't get the sound to work right." 

>Didn't install the audio drivers.

Me, "Did you install all the drivers other than that?"  

Him, "Ya, I downloaded them."

<.<  

I've never installed audio drivers for my pc and they always worked 

;)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

15 hours ago, RahulR said:

There is a lot of fanboy-ism for the 5X and 6P in the Google+ Android community. The 6P I would've understood, it was pretty much the best phone out when it came out, but the 5X, not so much. He's asking which performs better, and it's obviously the Nexus 6. When casting a vote, you should at least do some research.

I already explained:

18 hours ago, DocSwag said:

The nexus 6 isn't always the better performer. It has more ram but it loses in single threaded though probably wins in multi threaded. In gaming though the 5x wins hands down... I'm not sure how they compare in raw GPU performance but the 5x has a lower res screen.

In JavaScript the 5x hands down wins in nearly every benchmark out there, whereas in more multi-threaded benchmarks the 6 tends to win. When it comes to CPU horsepower the 5x and 6 trade blows.

It's quite obvious that the 6 has more ram so that helps the 6 there.

When it comes to graphics the 6 has more pure horsepower but the 5x wins in every benchmark because it has a lower resolution screen.

When it comes to storage performance the 5x beats the 6 in every benchmark. The 6 had a pretty bad ssd on-board that performs pretty terribly. In the storage department the 5x wins.

It isn't obvious that the 6 performs better. In fact, it doesn't even necessarily perform better. It may perform better in multi threaded and ram heavy tasks, but it loses in single-threaded, graphics, and storage intensive tasks. They trade blows with eachother which continues to emphasize my point that the choice between the two phones can't be determined by performance but rather do you want a smaller screen with a fingerprint censor or a larger screen.

P.S. Here are the benchmarks I looked at: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I already explained:

The nexus 6 isn't always the better performer. It has more ram but it loses in single threaded though probably wins in multi threaded. In gaming though the 5x wins hands down... I'm not sure how they compare in raw GPU performance but the 5x has a lower res screen.

In JavaScript the 5x hands down wins in nearly every benchmark out there, whereas in more multi-threaded benchmarks the 6 tends to win. When it comes to CPU horsepower the 5x and 6 trade blows.

It's quite obvious that the 6 has more ram so that helps the 6 there.

When it comes to graphics the 6 has more pure horsepower but the 5x wins in every benchmark because it has a lower resolution screen.

When it comes to storage performance the 5x beats the 6 in every benchmark. The 6 had a pretty bad ssd on-board that performs pretty terribly. In the storage department the 5x wins.

It isn't obvious that the 6 performs better. In fact, it doesn't even necessarily perform better. It may perform better in multi threaded and ram heavy tasks, but it loses in single-threaded, graphics, and storage intensive tasks. They trade blows with eachother which continues to emphasize my point that the choice between the two phones can't be determined by performance but rather do you want a smaller screen with a fingerprint censor or a larger screen.

P.S. Here are the benchmarks I looked at: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review

Disregard my comment, I misspoke. By obviously I meant usually (? I can't find the right word. Obviously was obviously not the right one.) like, in day to day use. The majority of people keep their apps open, so the extra RAM does help out there. Personally, I close my apps as soon as I'm done with them but it seems the majority doesn't, (source: the literal thousands of polls asking if you do or you don't). The Nexus 6 also has 520mAh more than the 5x, a higher resolution camera (not that that means higher quality [Personally I would want at least 12, so I can zoom in more or if I'm making it a wallpaper or something I can have a bit more freedom, for example if I was going to make it 1080p, I can zoom in to the image more without losing quality.]), along with the extra megapixel, it has OIS. In terms of storage, the 6 has more capacity, with a 32GB and a 64GB option, whereas the 5x has a 16GB and a 32GB option. Both phones have no SD card, so I'd like at least 32GBs. The 6 also has an AMOLED screen, so colours will be more... colourful? Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that it is more personal preference than I thought, but in day to day use the 6 will "perform" better. Again, I can't find the right word. By "perform" I don't mean in terms of performance, but in terms of... screw it. I can't find the right word, I hate English. By the way, this is NOT the best example of 5x and 6p fanboy-ism. This poll was completely fine, but you'll find polls that ask "What's better in pure performance, the 5x or the Oneplus 3?" and like 30%-50% will vote for the 5x.

another story from my ignorant friend again ...

He got a laser printer for free because it was broken, he opened it to try to fix it and was surprised to find a laser inside ...

My answer was "well yeah, it IS a laser printer! Not sure what you were expecting!"

... never underestimate people's ignorance! ;)

If there's any non-techie I've come to be proud of and respect, it's my mother.

Sure, she still has me help her pick out the best tech for her needs (since it's easier for me to do it and gives an excuse for a visit), but over the years she's actually bothered to listen to the things I've said and allowed me to dispel a fair amount of myths that she had accumulated. It's gotten to the point now where she has on a couple of occasions helped a neighbor with an issue or two that I ended up having taught her previously.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

My friend said this.

If you have surround sound system with 9 subwoofers and you add another subwoofer,  you get 1 regular speaker. 

He proved it by adding 0.1 to 5.9 it makes 6.0. I am not sure how to respond. Please help me. 

5 minutes ago, 4eks1s said:

My friend said this.

If you have surround sound system with 9 subwoofers and you add another subwoofer,  you get 1 regular speaker. 

He proved it by adding 0.1 to 5.9 it makes 6.0. I am not sure how to respond. Please help me. 

Your generic 2 Channel Audio is called 2 channels because there is an audio driver on the left and right in headphones, earphones or in devices like laptops.

5 Channel is when audio comes from 5 separate locations and offers a wider variety of sound.

7 channel is when audio comes from 7 separate locations. and 9 channel is when audio comes from 9 separate locations.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, 4eks1s said:

My friend said this.

4108lLf5zmL._SX466_.jpg

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

My dad heard about some news (not the news or the dad that's non-techie) that someone had downloaded Pokémon GO and wanted to incubate an egg, so he put it in the microwave. You know what happens next (PHONE EXPLOSSIONNNNN)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

My dad heard about some news (not the news or the dad that's non-techie) that someone had downloaded Pokémon GO and wanted to incubate an egg, so he put it in the microwave. You know what happens next (PHONE EXPLOSSIONNNNN)

i want to see that happen LOLOL. IDIOTS. Any someone know the reason behind it explodes tho?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

i want to see that happen LOLOL. IDIOTS. Any someone know the reason behind it explodes tho?

Probably beacuse of the heat and the microwaves which crap the f*ck out of the phone.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Probably beacuse of the heat and the microwaves which crap the f*ck out of the phone.

ooh ok, that is what i think

Build

Spoiler

On 8/17/2016 at 11:58 AM, 4eks1s said:

My friend said this.

Well easy solution for that.

If you have a 5.9 setup and you add 1 sub (0.1) you end up with 5.10

There is a dot between the 2 numbers, not a comma whch means they aren't 1 number but 2 numbers seperated by a dot.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon