Experiences with non-techies

I can't think of a funny response :(

Just enjoy this

tumblr_o09kwfyR5D1v3fa5go1_500.gif

I see that Imgur is leaking again...better go call the Web Plumber to plug up those tubes.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

I had this happen to me today:

693884aa5f19a31f85d8b5def83da51d.jpg

Told user to click "No", they clicked "Yes", things broke. Eventually got it sorted. I confirmed that they didn't click the wrong button by mistake; it was fully intentional. Oh well, as long as I get paid [emoji41]

"Waddle over to the elevator and we'll continue the testing." - GLaDOS, Portal 2

Primary System: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e540, upgraded with 16GB Kingston RAM & Intel 520 240GB SSD

I still don't get why people do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what you say sometimes. 

A lot of times it's because they think they know better than you.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Then there are scattered all around pieces of hard drives, motherboards, GPUs, cables and all sorts of destroyed hardware covered by the dust. A graveyard.

Last year's seniors at my high school (back before we had newfangled laptops in every math class and Chromebooks in every English class) had to occupy our EAST lab (it's a self-directed, tech-oriented, community service class focused on hands-on learning through experience) for their math class. They happened to be incredibly destructive and enjoyed cutting mouse wires and disassembling the mice, ripping caps off the keyboards, drawing on the monitors with pencils, leaving food everywhere, pulling paper out of the plotter, and throwing things around in the classroom full of computers. It was a dark time.

edit: whoops i completely forgot i just posted in here, my bad

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Told user to click "No", they clicked "Yes", things broke. Eventually got it sorted. I confirmed that they didn't click the wrong button by mistake; it was fully intentional. Oh well, as long as I get paid [emoji41]

You: DO NOT delete system32

Them: (clicking the delete button)

Them: Now my computer screen is black

You: 4rfeijofdszuhyjlbnaefhj80=4rthn2ujm.lhnuiofdrvweanhjuiko[g4wjhubinmk34tgwr3hunjiolZ.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Last year's seniors at my high school (back before we had newfangled laptops in every math class and Chromebooks in every English class) had to occupy our EAST lab (it's a self-directed, tech-oriented, community service class focused on hands-on learning through experience) for their math class. They happened to be incredibly destructive and enjoyed cutting mouse wires and disassembling the mice, ripping caps off the keyboards, drawing on the monitors with pencils, leaving food everywhere, pulling paper out of the plotter, and throwing things around in the classroom full of computers. It was a dark time.

wwwwwwttttttfffffff

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

More ram doesn't speed up the boot proces...

Unless you're using DDR1 or something like that... But if your ram is that old then you need a new computer.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

693884aa5f19a31f85d8b5def83da51d.jpg

why did you tell them to click no. o_O

wwwwwwttttttfffffff

The students at my school are a nightmare, trust me. If you want to see what a bunch of disrespectful, immature, gangster-wannabie troublemakers look like when you put them all in one space, then come to my school. Guaranteed to have at least one day in the school year where there are 5+ fights in one day and there has to be a strong police presence on campus, but there's usually a few fights a month.

-Shugs, desensitized from being around people like this.-

If I were still 13 I would be cringing right now.

Friend 1: That's yours?

Me: Yeah, I brought with me for the Game room today

Friend 2: Did you build it yourself?

Me: Yeah, didn't I tell you I built my own computer?

Friend 1: Lucky! -Awkward silence and then friend points into case- Yeah I had one of these, I put lights inside and then did this thing with the flashdrive cards.

Me: (thinking to self) You realize how obvious this lie is right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised by their behavior. I've been around them three years and nothing they do surprises me anymore. Parents and kids screaming in the office about fighting and tasers? Police on every corner of the halls? Girls threatening to kill a pregnant student and being dragged out, kicking and screaming, in handcuffs? Eight arrests in one day? That's just some of what happened last semester. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in a school where people know how to act.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised by their behavior. I've been around them three years and nothing they do surprises me anymore. Parents and kids screaming in the office about fighting and tasers? Police on every corner of the halls? Girls threatening to kill a pregnant student and being dragged out, kicking and screaming, in handcuffs? Eight arrests in one day? That's just some of what happened last semester. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in a school where people know how to act.

I hear you, It seems like me and like three other people in the school actually know how to behave (Aside from the people who are in (Or have finished) their military training. Although things have calmed down since some of the students recieved their military uniforms and are required to regularly wear them around school. (Although they don't have to wear them every day to school)

The students at my school are a nightmare, trust me. If you want to see what a bunch of disrespectful, immature, gangster-wannabie troublemakers look like when you put them all in one space, then come to my school. Guaranteed to have at least one day in the school year where there are 5+ fights in one day and there has to be a strong police presence on campus, but there's usually a few fights a month.

I was going to say, I feel you. I understand. My school was like that. Full of bad boy wanabes. Until. wait wut

POLICE IN A SCHOOL?! Bloody hell you must be American? lol I say lol but I find that saddening. Especially since police brutality is rife in the states.

All I can say to comfort you is I am glad I am out of school. People say you will miss your school years. lol hell no. Leaving school is freedom and an opportunity to educate yourself without having to waste your time sitting through most classes where all you can hear is yo momma insults and yeah.. fights.

Woops. Not very comforting. ah well.

Friend 1: That's yours?

Me: Yeah, I brought with me for the Game room today

Friend 2: Did you build it yourself?

Me: Yeah, didn't I tell you I built my own computer?

Friend 1: Lucky! -Awkward silence and then friend points into case- Yeah I had one of these, I put lights inside and then did this thing with the flashdrive cards.

Me: (thinking to self) You realize how obvious this lie is right?

Were you referring to pre-built cheesy computers?

Like the ones on Amazon with ultra fast speedy processors and ultra brilliant GPUs with 1GB VRAM

Edited by Alir

Were you referring to pre-built cheesy computers?

Like the ones on Amazon with ultra fast speedy processors and ultra brilliant GPUs with 1GB VRAM

Don't you mean to ask if that's what he was refering to?

In all honesty my computer is only what I could afford. I'm stuck with an APU (Which in all respects does a good job considering the games I play) and two 1600 4GB sticks of DDR3 Memory. Still working on getting a 1TB HDD

Found out today after several days of trouble-shooting my Cousin's "computer problems" when I finally went over in person that the reason none of my "solutions" were working is because the computer was donated by his kid's school and they never bothered to give him administrative access.  Hours of pulling my hair out, making sure he understood every step of every possible solution I offered to "it doesn't work and it's not recognizing anything" when the GD computer is asking for a password.  It never occurred to him to read the damn thing... just filed it under the broad category of "it didn't work" and moved on.  Might as well call AAA to say your car won't start, talk it through with the operator for an hour, finally call a tow and, when he gets there, finally mention you don't actually have the key to the car. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They view the computer as some magical device to which not even the attempt at logic need apply.  When I finally got it through to him that he needed a password (I could have and probably will still have to back up everything and perform a factory reset but I was too annoyed at the time) i.e. got him to READ THE FRICKING SCREEN, I asked if he had one and, no surprises here, it had never occurred to him or anyone else in the family to ask.  They've just been sitting using a "student" account on a computer they have owned for over a month now that just didn't work right all the time.  I soooooooooooooooo wanted to punch him.  Talk about wasting my time.

I was going to say, I feel you. I understand. My school was like that. Full of bad boy wanabes. Until. wait wut

POLICE IN A SCHOOL?! Bloody hell you must be American? lol I say lol but I find that saddening. Especially since police brutality is rife in the states.

All I can say to comfort you is I am glad I am out of school. People say you will miss your school years. lol hell no. Leaving school is freedom and an opportunity to educate yourself without having to waste your time sitting through most classes where all you can hear is yo momma insults and yeah.. fights.

The police presence in my school is actually calming. They seem like good people. Actually one of them is 50 some years old and still doing his job well. Anyways, we actually had a car set on fire a few weeks ago. Official story is electrical fire, but everyone knows it was arson.

Found out today after several days of trouble-shooting my Cousin's "computer problems" when I finally went over in person that the reason none of my "solutions" were working is because the computer was donated by his kid's school and they never bothered to give him administrative access.  Hours of pulling my hair out, making sure he understood every step of every possible solution I offered to "it doesn't work and it's not recognizing anything" when the GD computer is asking for a password.  It never occurred to him to read the damn thing... just filed it under the broad category of "it didn't work" and moved on.  Might as well call AAA to say your car won't start, talk it through with the operator for an hour, finally call a tow and, when he gets there, finally mention you don't actually have the key to the car. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They view the computer as some magical device to which not even the attempt at logic need apply.  When I finally got it through to him that he needed a password (I could have and probably will still have to back up everything and perform a factory reset but I was too annoyed at the time) i.e. got him to READ THE FRICKING SCREEN, I asked if he had one and, no surprises here, it had never occurred to him or anyone else in the family to ask.  They've just been sitting using a "student" account on a computer they have owned for over a month now that just didn't work right all the time.  I soooooooooooooooo wanted to punch him.  Talk about wasting my time.

Wow. Just, wow...

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

This really isn't a non-techy story, but more of idiots who don't pay attention. I am taking a cisco networking course at my high school, and we use packet tracer for most of the time. We had an assignment where we needed to expand the existing network of a few router, switches, and basics pc. The routers themselves already were using their full i/o of serial aND rj45 connectors, so we were told we needed to add more expansion cards to the routers. Well about 5 people we asking me for help because they didn't know how to turn off the routers on the virtual interface. *Facepalm. All they had to do was click the toggle switch. It's really sad how so many of my generation needs their hand walked through every motion without any common sense.

Don't you mean to ask if that's what he was refering to?

In all honesty my computer is only what I could afford. I'm stuck with an APU (Which in all respects does a good job considering the games I play) and two 1600 4GB sticks of DDR3 Memory. Still working on getting a 1TB HDD

Grab a R7 250 and do APU crossfire, I heard it's effective for budget PCs

Before I came to my current high school, I heard about weekly drug testing because of a single or few kids. Luckily by the time I got there, everything at my school's pretty safe. I've been at my school for 3 years now, the only trouble I've seen is 2 middle school kids getting in a fight, then dragged (figuratively) to the office, and a stabbing that was unrelated to my school.

Ironic how my school is in Alameda and is considered a safe city.

What fucking school do you go to? Jesus. Sounds like Detroit or something

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

If you were to walk in the computer room of my high school you'd get scared. i3 powered stations (which are probably fine for what we do), along with a projector attached to the roof that's never in position (and that I always have to power on because I'm 2 mt tall...). Then there are scattered all around pieces of hard drives, motherboards, GPUs, cables and all sorts of destroyed hardware covered by the dust. A graveyard.

Meh, 478 Pentium 4s(2.8/3.0) with 1gb ram and MX440 for code blocks(I completely fked one up just by pasting 000101010101 in code blocks) .

E6300 HPs with 2 gb ram AND WINDOWS 7 x64 for CAD.

My friend's macbook wasn't booting after a failed update so I took it apart to re-seat the RAM. As it turns out he has never had the thing cleaned in 4 years...

The motherboard was fuzzy with caked on dust

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).