Experiences with non-techies

This kind of reminds me of how one of my monitors gets a signal. I have a chain of mini DP to HDMI (plugged into computer) -> 2 ft HDMI cable -> HDMI to DVI (plugged into monitor)

To be fair to your mom, at least she is trying. I know some people who call thunderbolt "Apple ports" so whenever people with macbooks have a presentation that requires them to plug their laptop into the projector they ask if someone has an apple port adapter so they can use the projector port... *sigh*

I'm surprised she didn't come home with a really expensive one.

Ok so this happened to me today.

A friend of mine wants me to help him build a PC because he wants a desktop rather than his laptop.

It also has to have an A10 processor on it. As in he would rather die than have Intel processors because they are "expensive piles of crap" and "AMD are the only people that make good processors". The following is what occured in our conversation:

me = me

friend = fr

fr: here I have made this build on PCPartpicker, is it any good?

me : i'll have a look for you

me: I've made some changes to it so that is has more performance and less energy consumption

fr : wtf you changed the processor to one with less GHz and a higher price!!!!

me : its a better A10 processor so it will run better and give you more performance in-game

fr : nah fam im changing it back, why would I want less GHz?

me: *facepalm* alright, fine.

Another conversation with this guy ran along the lines of:

me: that AMD A10 has an integrated R7 Graphics card in it

fr  : really? cool!

fr: sooo if I got a graphics card on top of that it will theoretically double my performance, right?

me : uh no, you see its more comp....

fr : BUT I WILL HAVE 2 GRAPHICS CARDS RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME BECAUSE THE ONE IN THE CPU IS RUNNING ALL THE TIME

me : thats really not how it works because you have to have the display plugged into the graphics card for it to output graphics to it

fr : but surely the graphics card in the CPU is boosting the graphics card that is plugged into the motherboard? Otherwise why would they put it there?

me: no, thats really not how it works, the iGPU does not boost the graphics card because they have nothing to do with each other.

I have stopped talking to my friend for a while because my brain hurts

Almost just like my parents. *Sigh* AMD fanboys/elitists (However you want to put it I don't care) always trying to make AMD sound better than Intel when it's been proven for almost several years (Correct me if I'm wrong) that Intel has the upper hand. Until Zen comes out and it proves that it matches Intel.

Compatibility doesn't matter with processors as it has to take whatever you put in to the system. It's up to the manufacturers of the motherboards on what hardware is compatible with what. If your hard drive is crashing, get a better hard drive.

To add on top of that, I would love to be proven wrong by my parents about Intel's performance when Zen comes out. If Zen doesn't perform better in single-threaded apps compared to the i5 and multi-threaded apps compared to both the i5 and i7, then Intel it is for me since I do have work to pump out in a timely manner.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

You're good to your Mum! 

I've been considering upgrading my Dad's workstation for his birthday. He currently has a 1st Gen. Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (2007) that's still going strong, but we've started to notice that because it no longer gets OS updates due to its age, some content doesn't display correctly in Safari and Chrome is somewhat slow on the system. 15" rMBP in NZ? $3,700. Ouch.

I got it for free from a guy since it had bird poo on the DVD drive, I replaced it and it is now running Windows 10 (Came with Windows 7 key)

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

there was a gif for this i wanted to get

i FOUND IT!!!!

THANK YOU @Peter Smyth FOR REMINDING ME OF THIS THREAD!!!1!

NOW

THIS IS THE GIF

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

You're good to your Mum! 

I've been considering upgrading my Dad's workstation for his birthday. He currently has a 1st Gen. Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (2007) that's still going strong, but we've started to notice that because it no longer gets OS updates due to its age, some content doesn't display correctly in Safari and Chrome is somewhat slow on the system. 15" rMBP in NZ? $3,700. Ouch.

I assume you know what your on about, but have you tried other web browsers?

lol *snip*

nontechies need the godsend that is lastpass...

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

There's a few places I've been to where there server room has electronic lock mechanism (RFID+Password+fingerprint) but a friggin huge sliding glass window with the standard lock on the wall facing the hallway...

at least the glass is tinted... but no way is that glass tempered glass...

There's a few places I've been to where there server room has electronic lock mechanism (RFID+Password+fingerprint) but a friggin huge sliding glass window with the standard lock on the wall facing the hallway...

at least the glass is tinted... but no way is that glass tempered glass...

Where did I misplace that sledgehammer... Oh of course! I left it in that server by whathisname to grab some server hardware and hard drives with financial credentials on them....

Wasn't there some sort of AMD crap that could make them somehow work together?

I thought I read that somewhere, but I don't know. It also seems weird.

With some people, I completely give up in picking parts for them.

It's never good.... The classical GHz wars (some will think a 3ghz core 2 quad outpowers a modern i5 2.8ghz quad), the usual talk about insanely high clocked RAM, and people almost always cheap out on the PSU.

They somehow think "if I slap a 970 on this it'll be a beast PC"

And they couple it with the shittiest CPU on a crap cheap motherboard with a Walmart graded power supply, and then yell at me when it doesn't run well and blows up after 2 months.

Frankly, some people should stay with consoles. Especially the ones that refuse to learn.

Yep, this is absolutely possible, but only with 240s and 250s. Besides that guy under me, I'm surprised no one's mentioned it... 

You can crossfire some discrete R7 GPUs with the iGPU in an A series AMD CPU.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Every time a teacher's pc stops working they always assume the worst and start checking all the wires and randomly pulling them out and putting them back in..... except the PSU ofc.

Has everyone seen these stories? 'Tales of IT': 

snippy snippet

that sounds good, let me just ruin all my evening reading every single one

so, update: they are really good fun, managed to hit about an hour of reading time with some eating in between, here is part two : 

http://imgur.com/gallery/AOz0d

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

This morning my sis said that her browser history was taking up all the space on her ipad (16gb). She has had it since Christmas... The biggest tech related face-palm happened just then... 

This morning my sis said that her browser history was taking up all the space on her ipad (16gb). She has had it since Christmas... The biggest tech related face-palm happened just then... 

Well lets work this out then.  Lets say the average URL is 150 characters in length; ie, 150 bytes.  Say the device had 10 GB free, with the rest used up by the system, apps, photos and so on.  That means she's visited over 71 million webpages since Christmas.  That's more than 41 pages per second, non-stop 24/7 since Christmas day.  I suppose with a good connection and a bot controlling the browser it would be possible...  :lol:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well lets work this out then.  Lets say the average URL is 150 characters in length; ie, 150 bytes.  Say the device had 10 GB free, with the rest used up by the system, apps, photos and so on.  That means she's visited over 71 million webpages since Christmas.  That's more than 41 pages per second, non-stop 24/7 since Christmas day.  I suppose with a good connection and a bot controlling the browser it would be possible...  :lol:

She probably 16gb - iOS install and formatting leaves ~ 12gb... Then the 1000 pay-to-play apps she downloaded, ~5GB, 10,000 selfies ~0GB. 

Lets be honest, that iPad was full from day 1. 

Has everyone seen these stories? 'Tales of IT': 

I6wNrca.png

ZpoP4dG.png

Part 1: http://imgur.com/gallery/iJD8f

Part 2: http://imgur.com/gallery/AOz0d - Thanks @matjojo for part 2. 

these are gold :D thanks for sharing!

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech. Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them. I'll go first: So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago. My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

Probably will tbh.

A life without a computer is no life at all.

*snip*

Actually that Adobe one is a little familiar, but mine went differently

• Director of department says he can't sign a PDF (I had previously created a whole digital signing system to replace the paperwork they had been using)
  • I figure hes probably got Reader 10 (we had noticed that for some reason this version wasn't working but newer ones were, so...)
  • Go check it out, yup Reader 10
  • thinks "this should be easy, I'll install 11 and we'll be done in under 5 minutes"
  • downloads
  • Try to just install 11 without removing 10, don't want to leave director with no way to view PDFs
  • can't install; "newer version already exists"
  • (what the hell adobe, no: this is the newer version)
  • takes plunge, removes 10
  • tries to install 11
  • still doesn't work (oh crap)
  • finally resorts to reader DC (I had been avoiding this since as many of you may know they massively changed the interface and some people are't good with handling those kinds of changes)
  • works (thank god)

It was a lot more dramatic (for me internally at least) than it sounds, but whatever :)

I especially didn't want to mess this up since I wasn't actually IT... just an engineering intern :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

My friend thinks mods are only cheats, he plays console only.

Same kid that said he "haxed" XBOX and thinks ram makes a computer faster no matter what.

Peasants are hard to ascend sometimes.

not exactly computer related but still technology. some girl at school was complaining that the elevator was taking too long to come and she didn't even press the button to summon it.

I'm guilty of this. Stood there for a full 10 minutes until the janitor that had been watching me the whole time walked over and pressed the button.