Experiences with non-techies

My brother's partner's laptop recently went on the fritz, typical corrupted os, he goes:

"well you wont know anything about it" so he calls upon her uncle who will probably doom it to an eternity of pain *sigh*

Golly, I sure hope that my internets are all in a safe place...

Had someone tell me the other day that you could run a 7850 on a 350w power supply. I said, "Go for it."

Met someone who still uses XP and was very insistent that Windows 8 was actually Windows 7, as in there is currently no Windows 8 on the market kind of thing.

Someone wanted to use a cheap $20 headset for a professional audio podcast.

Considering my new job, haven't met as many annoying nontechies as I thought I would.

Had someone tell me the other day that you could run a 7850 on a 350w power supply. I said, "Go for it."

Met someone who still uses XP and was very insistent that Windows 8 was actually Windows 7, as in there is currently no Windows 8 on the market kind of thing.

Someone wanted to use a cheap $20 headset for a professional audio podcast.

Considering my new job, haven't met as many annoying nontechies as I thought I would.

Congrats on the new job. The non-techies is a two sided coin though. On one side you don't have them annoying you but on the other you don't get to have that warm feeling and you won't have much to post about them

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

My Computing class back in my 3rd year of Academy (High school is the equivalent I think) had a few months where they were teaching basic computer skills, how to type, how to use word, online etiquette etc. My friend and I had to take the class as it was needed to get into the class we wanted next year so we did what we were told but and after 2 classes the teacher knew that we were far ahead of the rest of the class so we were given the book and told what we had to have done by certain dates. Surprise surprise we got our work done and sat on forums and the like looking at PC parts for the rest of the time.

Also we had a supply teacher the day before the test and she didn't know that we were naturally good at the class and we were sitting wasting time playing games and such while the rest of the class freaked out and studied. She spent the whole lesson telling us that we should get off games and study or else we'll fail.

We both got 1's.

(1 is the best you can get in range from 1 - 8, 1&2 being an A, 3&4 is a B, 5&6 is a C and 7&8 is a fail)

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Once I asked a friend (when he was telling everyone he is a computer genius) what's the specs of your PC, and he answered "XP" (it was in 2004).  I asked him again, he answered "XP, you really have no idea in computers don't you?!" 

So I asked him what processor does he use, he said "Intel XP" and when I said "you know XP is an operating system."

Same kid was arguing that his internet speed is 1000Mbs when there was no 1Gbit ethernet adapter on the market and all the ISP where only DSL and when I asked him what's his ping, he said "higher than yours" and I said, I sure hope so. And he thought I was an idiot...

A IT-teacher at my high school used to cover the camera of his phone with tape because he was afraid of a virus that would secretly make photo's.

When was that, today it's a thing. If you have an Android phone without the latest version of android..

Had a proffessor last semester turn on an old powermac, when it turned on it kicked out a plume of dust which filled up the room.. Not kidding. The pc then said it would't post because of bad thermal paste or something of that nature. My proff goes "i guess the hard drive is bad".  OMG facepalm

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

Once I asked a friend (when he was telling everyone he is a computer genius) what's the specs of your PC, and he answered "XP" (it was in 2004).  I asked him again, he answered "XP, you really have no idea in computers don't you?!" 

So I asked him what processor does he use, he said "Intel XP" and when I said "you know XP is an operating system."

Same kid was arguing that his internet speed is 1000Mbs when there was no 1Gbit ethernet adapter on the market and all the ISP where only DSL and when I asked him what's his ping, he said "higher than yours" and I said, I sure hope so. And he thought I was an idiot...

There is always that one guy isnt there.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

When was that, today it's a thing. If you have an Android phone without the latest version of android..

A year ago. I know it is possible. But isn't it a bit paranoid if you cover your camera with tape?

A year ago. I know it is possible. But isn't it a bit paranoid if you cover your camera with tape?

I know people WAY more paranoid!

So i went on my ps3 to play some call of duty(it was random surge to try cod4 again) anyways i overhear some kids(3 maybe 4 of them) talking about the next gen consoles. This is where is gets funny due to numbers and stuff.

The first stupid thing i hear is that the ps4 has no ram but the xbox has 8000gbs of it. Im just listening to this as its quite funny. Another kid buts in saying that the playstation 4 has gigabyte ethernet(correct there) so it makes your internet faster(aaaand its gone).

Afterthat they ramble for a while but then they say that the ps4 will overheat and die because the power supply is in the interior of it however I dont think they read the article stating that it has a 30-40oc operation temperature which is damn low. There was also something about call of duty being 4k on the xbox one as well. They then started insulting my username because i was killing them too much. One of them told me to suck a horse.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

So i went on my ps3 to play some call of duty(it was random surge to try cod4 again) anyways i overhear some kids(3 maybe 4 of them) talking about the next gen consoles. This is where is gets funny due to numbers and stuff.

The first stupid thing i hear is that the ps4 has no ram but the xbox has 8000gbs of it. Im just listening to this as its quite funny. Another kid buts in saying that the playstation 4 has gigabyte ethernet(correct there) so it makes your internet faster(aaaand its gone).

Afterthat they ramble for a while but then they say that the ps4 will overheat and die because the power supply is in the interior of it however I dont think they read the article stating that it has a 30-40oc operation temperature which is damn low. There was also something about call of duty being 4k on the xbox one as well. They then started insulting my username because i was killing them too much. One of them told me to suck a horse.

Zombo_Droid22082013091222.jpg

Ok my mother recently has been trying to get aquainted with the computer and I am all for it but honestly... she could try and experiment before calling me. "Alan I need to use the computer to check my email." "Just use the computer in Dad's office." "Oh. But Don't I need to get on your computer to check my email." *large sigh* "No mother you can check your email from any computer that is connected to the internet." <-- Oh this isn't even the worse of it....

I was watching this game show and someone won a computer with "a powerful dual core processor and a huge 1tb hard drive"

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Congrats on the new job. The non-techies is a two sided coin though. On one side you don't have them annoying you but on the other you don't get to have that warm feeling and you won't have much to post about them

Eh, days come and go in waves for those kinds of people. In general, there's always people claiming that they're already doing something at home, like today I had someone insisting they were using a VGA-to-HDMI cable on monitors. When I showed him what HDMI looked like, he asked me "what's that?" and realized he was using DVI.

Then I had a couple trying to convince me that the hard drive capacity was the RAM and vice versa. That's a double-sided coin, because how awesome would 2TBs of RAM be? Not as awesome as having 8GB hard drives o.x

On the bright side, working this new job has helped me figure out to dumb things way down for people. Analogies work wonders.

When I walked into an Apple Premium Reseller with my mate because he needs an iPhone waterproof case (??? Dafaq ???) I asked the employee if they have the new MBA together with the new AirPort Extreme so I could experience the 802.11AC.

He says: "oh yeah AC indeed the battery life is significantly improved."

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

I had a woman that asked me what disks she should back up her OS onto, so I told her that she should get an external hard drive. She then said that she wanted a disk and wouldn't listen to me when I told her that a Hard Drive Disk is a type of disk. She was so stubborn that I gave up trying to convince her, so in the end she asked if a 500MB rewritable CD would work. I said no, and that if they did, then she'd need a lot of them. She got angry and pretty much called me an idiot and complained to my manager about me. 

PS. I work in a hardware store, not a computer shop, so I'm the only one there who knows much about computers, so my manager didn't have a clue what she was talking about. 

Another thing that fits into this topic is any time that you have to talk to an 'Apple Genius'. They are the most ignorant people when it comes to technology. I once asked if there was anyway I could upgrade or pay for them to upgrade my mum's MacBook's CPU. The guy looked at me confused and had to ask for help from his supervisor. I'm not sure if he didn't know if you could change them, or if he didn't know what a CPU was.