Experiences with non-techies

he had to be, cost me 20+ bucks for stupid shipping, never again.

The feels man!!

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB                                                  

The other day, my friend paid $1650 canadian for this build: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Y5h1

I kid you not. I told him specifically to wait for haswell and i'd give him a specific parts list and talk him through building a PC, what does he do? Goes into a store and buys that. For $1600 CAD.

​I'll just let that soak in a second.

Please tell me my anger is justified. Please.

I cried lool

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB                                                  

Right i think i have some stuff that qualifies for this thread..

Yesterday i was talking to a friend that wants to learn a bit more about computers and hopes to build his own in the near future

After talking motherboards and cases for a bit we get into cpus... this is where my faith in future generations is once again brutally murdered without compassion

He asked me what kind of cpu i was using. and i said "an i7 3770k wich is running at 4,2ghz" ... his reply "Oh cool. Apple makes the best ones huh?"

the resulting facepalm nearly broke my nose

And a week ago i drove a friend of mine (silence geek) to a shop that sells noctua fans. This friend of mine has no side window so he is able to buy them...im kinda jelly

Anyway. When we get there my friend walks up to the counter and asks the guy for three 120mm noctua fans

And the guy behind the counter goes into the store room for a bit. Then he returns with one noctua fan box and a fan that was out of the box.

He plops the noctua fan onto the counter and turns to us. we where quite confused at this moment.

Then he holds up the other fan in a way that just screams marketing. And what he held in his hands was some spire branded led fan....

He then launched into a speech (wich in his mind probably was intended to help us save money)

Telling us how this spire fan looked cooler and could spin much faster than the noctua equivalent thus moving more air through the system...

This speech was alright and we wanted to let him continue until he was satisfied.. but then his mouth moves in mysterious ways to form the senteance

"And it's also much more quiet than this noctua fan" ... really?... some 1800rpm cheapo led fan is more quiet than three NF-S12s?

We assured the salesman that we wanted the fans we had already decided on and got out of there as fast as we could....

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Looking at Future Shop or Best Buy flyers and seeing these so called "gaming rigs"..... and notice that they don't even mention the graphics card.

Haven't seen that kind of problem when looking at desktop PCs. However, I see that a lot when looking at laptops.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Not as bad as someone 'cleaning their cookies' by vacuuming the components (that's not all!)

While the PC was  ON. 

My reaction to all of that: 

ZHH30y4.gif

That is the most perfect gif for this. :D

but vaccuming a pc while its on... i pity the fans

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Not as bad as someone 'cleaning their cookies' by vacuuming the components (that's not all!)

While the PC was  ON. 

My reaction to all of that: 

ZHH30y4.gif

That is exacly how I would have reacted. Although I would simply facepalm at the vacuming to clean cookies bit; a part of me died when I heard the second bit since really who's dumb enough to vacum a turned on computer anyways?

That is exacly how I would have reacted. Although I would simply facepalm at the vacuming to clean cookies bit; a part of me died when I heard the second bit since really who's dumb enough to vacum a turned on computer anyways?

Idiots, pure idiots, she really really had no clue, I just stood back and watch the whole thing sink like titanic

Golly, I sure hope that my internets are all in a safe place...

I showed my girlfriend the computer I made a couple years ago and she thought it was called a modem.

My father is convinced that Apple is better than Windows. He once used the term "reverse hack". (still uses his Vista laptop that is filled with many bloatware "anti-virus" programs)

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

ok... my classmate wanted me to edit and save a video in windows movie maker because for some reason he can't save it on his pc. right now he sent me the .wlmp file and is nowhere to be found. just great.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

People on Steam who think that downloading razer game booster will let them play crysis on their $300 laptop.

My mom who has no idea what defrag is or that it even exists.

Her husband who doesn't know what browser bookmarks are(he puts a shortcut to every site on his desktop, it drives me crazy)

People who think they can upgrade a laptop.

People on Steam who think they can get a gaming rig for $200 that will run anything.

People on Steam who ask for opinions about upgrades only to shoot down every suggestion, then later you find out they're 13 and don't have the money to do anything anyways.

People who buy OEM PC's thinking they are good because they have big hard drives and tons of ram.

People who buy Apple products because their techie friend has an Apple product and now they think they're Steve Jobs.

Console gamers who are trying to migrate to PC but have no idea about system requirements.

People who think that all PC's are created equal.

People who think they can future proof a PC.

People who want to get into PC gaming but have no desire to actually learn about PC's but get angry when you say you can't help them because they have no idea what you're talking about.

People who think it's ok to take parts out of a PC that's plugged in and running.

People in general

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

I think you encounter a mentally retarded person and not simply a non-techie.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

you ever hear of Gpu rendering in video editing?

FYI, it's rarely done. GPU only helps with actually visualizing the edits in real-time, previewing (to an extent), not the "Render to file" rendering. That is largely taken care of by the CPU. There's a reason why Render farms (for movies, 3D graphics, etc) are based solely on parallel processing and contain no GPU. CPU rendering is faster and more consistent.

e: Based on a Google search, non-linear editors are only starting to take advantage of GPU rendering.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

People who think they can upgrade a laptop.

If your laptop has a hard drive, upgrade to a SSD. Upgrade the memory by adding higher capacity or faster RAM. Upgrade the CD/DVD drive to like a Blu-Ray drive. Change out the factory thermal paste, for better CPU temperatures. "Laptop" is pretty vague, but quite a few can be upgraded

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

If your laptop has a hard drive, upgrade to a SSD. Upgrade the memory by adding higher capacity or faster RAM. Upgrade the CD/DVD drive to like a Blu-Ray drive. Change out the factory thermal paste, for better CPU temperatures. "Laptop" is pretty vague, but quite a few can be upgraded

I when I say upgrade I'm not referring to the obvious HDD/ODD/RAM upgrades, I'm talking about CPU/GPU.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

A person in my I.T class relating to the project we was doing on a network. He asked the teacher "what is a static IP?" which he could of looked up on the internet himself but didn't and the I.T teacher went up to him and replied nearly whispering 'I'm not sure" and walked away.

I when I say upgrade I'm not referring to the obvious HDD/ODD/RAM upgrades, I'm talking about CPU/GPU.

Because non-techies know that

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

Yay i love this thread, its given me so many laughs :D

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

Mine held 5GHz with my 2500k perfectly fine with no issues.

Im pushing 4.7, on my Extreme 4 :) 5GHz will be when I leave my current rig. AsRock did very very good !

post-7162-0-13712200-1376405450.png = "The Internet"

Missing Icon = no internet... :rolleyes:

Whoa my internet appeared on the internet inception...

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

For one of my classes, we had to create a video about a cooking show. You had to bring the video in via a USB stick. Unfortunatley, half the class didn't know had to produce a video in windows movie maker and actually brought in the windows MOVIE MAKER FILE. Obviously it didn't work, and everyone was clueless. The teacher didn't know either and so I had to explain to half the class how to render a video -.-

Continuing from this story- After I told them how to render it (They probably didn't understand) They went home and did nothing. They came back the next day with the videos on skydrive -.-

Again, the greatest thread ever is being revived!

Exactly why I posted it :P

I'll try to think of more.

I overheard some kid in battlefield saying a soundcard gives you more fps.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1