Experiences with non-techies

Everybody in my school (all kids and teachers): Please X it out.

X it out

X it out 

X it out 

What kind of society do I live in?

A morally corrupt and broken society. Everybody knows that. 

A morally corrupt and broken society. Everybody knows that. 

^ This is why I don't like how our world is, and it completely explains my school..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

So having an SSD in my computer will make me contract Carpel Tunnel by making me fly out of my seat and by how fast it is and my wrist will bend in the wrong way.

It is just that fucking fast

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Everybody <snip>.  Please X it out.

X it out

X it out 

X it out 

Wish my wife would learn that .

She still says "how do I get out of here?" and "how do I stop this?" .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I got some processors from school today while the lab was being gutted to become a music room, I went around asking people if they knew what the processor was (my techie friend who moved was there).

Results:

Most said "I don't know"

Two identified it as a magnet

Three (including my Spanish teacher) identified it as a chip

Two (one was my Spanish teacher correcting herself) identified it as a CPU

One identified it as a disk drive

I got some processors from school today while the lab was being gutted to become a music room, I went around asking people if they knew what the processor was (my techie friend who moved was there).

Results:

Most said "I don't know"

Two identified it as a magnet

Three (including my Spanish teacher) identified it as a chip

One (my Spanish teacher correcting herself) identified it as a CPU

One identified it as a disk drive

Not sure what the point of that survey was.

Checking for illiteracy. @CreepersCrawlers did the same thing.

Still though if you already knew that most of the people wouldn't know what the object in question was and they have no need/want to know chances are they aren't going to know.

You know the word illiterate refers to reading and writing, not general knowledge, correct? I think the word you're looking for is ignorance.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

I personally want people to have some degree of knowledge of computers over what the average person has now (just because it would help them in certain instances), but I'm gonna stand up for the non-techie and point out that a close analogue would be picking a random part of a car (something remotely portable) and asking if people knew what it was (and no not the engine or the tail end of the exhaust). In fact you could argue for many different things (including many sports) that only those interested would know. I used to struggle with the offside rule in football (soccer if you're in the US). Never saw why I should understand it if I didn't care about football. I know it now, but I was still ignorant of football back then.

People think they can double their internet speed or EVEN triple it :blink:

Just realised something with that alienware video: THEY PUT THE LAPTOPS ON A DUVET. Do the WANT to suffocate their shiny overpriced i7???

Oh, and I'm surprised that the Toshiba took as long as it did to open wordpad considering it had loaded it once and therefore had it cached in RAM.

Just realised something with that alienware video: THEY PUT THE LAPTOPS ON A DUVET. Do the WANT to suffocate their shiny overpriced i7???

Oh, and I'm surprised that the Toshiba took as long as it did to open wordpad considering it had loaded it once and therefore had it cached in RAM.

My family does that so much to the family laptop. One time my sister even had the laptop under the blanket! I freaked out.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

This video is just stupid:<snip>

Recognize that apartment (or rather the view) .  Does chummy have lots of YT videos.

Wow, a modern, with a  clean(ish) install, computer running 8 is faster than one that is well loaded and well old running XP Who'd a thunk it.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Just reading all these posts, while drinking a coke and laying back in relaxation. top kek'd m8

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

?

Definition: references lol. Uses: mostly used in the meme community or parody makers. 

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

Everybody in my school (all kids and teachers): Please X it out.

X it out

X it out 

X it out 

What kind of society do I live in?

Teachers in my school: Please close the screens on your Chromebooks.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't really have an example except that when I go to the apple store with my gf, because her phone broke again, I would look around for the noobie and mess with him/her. I would also like to add that I do not think some of the employees should be called geniuses lol. Anyone else enjoy doing this?

How are these "geniuses" employed when they know so little?! A monkey would be better fit for the job

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

One time I had a friend ask me to meet him at Best Buy to help him pick out a computer. What a disaster, so many junk computers. Got him the best bang for the buck that I could but holy shit these retailers just shove garbage onto people that don't know better.

Oh you wanna talk overpriced garbage?! Go to youtube and watch HSN try to sell you a computer, they're mad overpriced way underpowered and most of the time the hosts have no idea what they're talking about! Best buy would look like a haven compared to them

Here in the uk, Don't ever go to these 3 shops, maplin,currys/pc world.  All three are a complete joke i've applied to work at currys before as i am a tech freak, But no reply.

Back to the point they stock old tech, that no one wants.

They don't know anything about pc's.

I asked for a sata cable once as i could not find it, So he went off and came back with a usb lead for printers. I just started laughing and walked out.

or you can go into maplin and buy one for like £12 ......

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

One of the new kids last year, in the same year level as me (9), had done a research project and presented it to the class.

The project was on why consoles are better than pc's.

During his brief presentation, the outline for consoles being better was that the consoles had faster internets, which made "call of duty" run faster.

Then he went on to say that the internets on pc were so slow that it couldn't even handle "call of duty" and just plain didn't work.

I laughed at him so hard I was given detention

c3e.jpg

Your teachers can't handle the truth!

Ouch..that's brutal, I'd probably cry. This is why you watch Linus' videos on YouTube, or find someone you know that has experience with computers before jumping into your first build.

Yea dude I have watched all of linus' build guides and a few on newegg's channel and my first build booted up properly and it works! So thanks linus and newegg!